Bregir

Corrington: Sign-up and Discussion, Era II

Welcome @DeathCap! Nice work on the ship!

Most users of the forums host images on free Flickr accounts so they automatically embed on the forums. Alternatively, I can hook you up with some webserver hosting if you want to host images for embedding that way (if so, send me a PM!).

A red flag flies... a new member has joined the greatest nation on the Brick Seas! /legolasvoice

Welcome @DeathCap, I hope you enjoy your stay - looking forward to your adventures. :pir-classic:

Good day, gentlemen. What class should I rate this 4-gun cutter armed with 4-pounders? I was thinking about licensing it as a class 2. This cutter shall serve as a dispatch vessel. Its light armament functions to deter gunboats and other light vessels. HMS Piper relies on her speed and maneuverability to escape danger. It should be in the brick within a month or so.

Thank you @evancelt for telling me about Flickr.

52152835850_bc2d2446a8_m.jpg

Edited by DeathCap
Added more details about the purpose of this ship

Welcome to Corrington and to BoBS @DeathCap.

I think class 2 would work well for HMS Piper. To license her for the EGS, you need to post her in the forums with your story and some pictures. Then fill out this form: Ship Licence Form . The account managing the ship will be your Eurobricks username and as she is your first vessel you can license her for free, so make sure to check the 'license a free vessel' box.

When posting pictures from Flickr, most people find it best to use BBCode. To do this, click the little arrow button at the bottom right of the image in Flickr. Select the 'BBCode' tab and then select a size. On the forums we mostly use the 800-1000 range (usually the top 'medium' or first 'large' option). Select the code that Flickr generates, copy and paste into the forum post like this:

52154133941_893c82a882_c.jpg

HMS Piper 4 gun cutter by DeathCap Lego, on Flickr

This allows people to see a decent size picture of your creation and then click on the link to view it in Flickr if they want an even higher resolution look.

Hope that was helpful, please let us know any questions - everyone here is always very happy to help out!

On 5/17/2022 at 2:30 PM, Ayrlego said:

will be eligible for the following honours:

So, since I was 'counted' in a random circumstance some 4 years ago in the wild west days of the game, how does this affect Count Mesabi's noble standing? :pir-grin:

Also, if I do these builds, do I get like double-nobility? :pir_laugh2:

Edited by Mesabi

On 6/14/2022 at 5:34 AM, DeathCap said:

Commander Julius Palmer II

Welcome aboard, Commander Palmer! The navy can always use new officers. As others have said, creating a new topic with a few pictures (embedded as explained by Ayrlego and Evan) and a story introducing your character is the best way to get started. It doesn't have to be more than a few details introducing the character.
Perhaps this thread can give you some ideas:

Your vessels are looking promising too!

15 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Also, if I do these builds, do I get like double-nobility notoriety?

You could decide for another character to take the new title. We can make it work for Mesabi too - the first "counting" was definitely a political (and controversial) affair :pir-grin:

Also, I corrected your spelling :pir-tongue:

8 hours ago, DeathCap said:

Greetings Gentlemen,

How do I check how much money I have?

This is usually tracked in the Account Summary Sheet - the latest should be this one. Whenever a new one is published, you will find it posted in this thread.

Having said that: with you being so "new", your account will not be listed yet. Your first small license is free anyway. I'll shoutout for @Ayrlego to the rescue though. :pir-grin:

17 hours ago, DeathCap said:

Greetings Gentlemen,

Darnok is correct, a new account sheet is due out at the start of July to cover the May-June period and you will appear on that sheet. In the meantime, you get 25DB for signing up (so technically that will be your total atm. Posting freebuilds is another way to earn coin - post your build in it's own thread and fill out the Build Submittal Form . Your first 2 freebuilds for a month earn 10DB each, third and forth freebuilds earn 5DB and all other after that 2DB.

19 hours ago, DeathCap said:

Greetings Gentlemen,

Welcome to Brethren of the Brick Seas! :pir-huzzah2:

In the Corrington Faction there are different possibilities and challenges.

On 2/3/2022 at 12:45 PM, Professor Thaum said:

To Isaac Montoya, RSNP, Corrington

I, Doctor Oliver Thaum, hereby apologize for the loss of the Tartan Hydra, probably due to a collision with my training ship the Jolly Rogers in rough seas.

The Cutter HMS Otter damaged for the same reason too, was towed to a safe place. The ship will be repaired and taken with the whole safe crew to a safe place from where he would be free to sail again.

Best regards

Dr Thaum

@Bregir

Having been out of action for a while, is this still valid, and where could I find it? :pir-classic:

Does anyone know if naval impressment is legal in Corrington? When I get the parts and minifigures I will do another impressment scene

9 hours ago, DeathCap said:

Does anyone know if naval impressment is legal in Corrington? When I get the parts and minifigures I will do another impressment scene

While impressment is historically accurate I don't think it is in line with our Corrington ethos (especially from our own Corlander settlement! Maybe natives from unexplored islands? Oleonese settlements? :pir_laugh2:).

Perhaps your post could be the sailor's story of how he ended up in the navy and may not reflect actual events? For example he tells his wife he was abducted and pressed into the navy but really he was running away from her cooking? :pir-grin:

@DeathCap I second Evancelt

Also I'd like to believe there are enough patriotic corrington citizens who would happily join your crew (Although if you intend to treat your crew historically to how the royal navy would treat their own... maybe not haha) 

16 hours ago, DeathCap said:

It both happened a lot in real history and was illegal then too. So while I would say it is definitely illegal in Corrington (why wouldn't it?) I can just as well see it happening anyway.

Having said that: why exactly is this what you want to show in your builds? While it is not painting Corrington in the worst possible light, it plays in about the same league... so why go there?

1 hour ago, Darnok said:

It both happened a lot in real history and was illegal then too. So while I would say it is definitely illegal in Corrington (why wouldn't it?) I can just as well see it happening anyway.

Having said that: why exactly is this what you want to show in your builds? While it is not painting Corrington in the worst possible light, it plays in about the same league... so why go there?

Alrighty, no more press gangs. I built it because I thought it was an interesting aspect of history. 

8 hours ago, evancelt said:

While impressment is historically accurate I don't think it is in line with our Corrington ethos (especially from our own Corlander settlement! Maybe natives from unexplored islands? Oleonese settlements? :pir_laugh2:).

Perhaps your post could be the sailor's story of how he ended up in the navy and may not reflect actual events? For example he tells his wife he was abducted and pressed into the navy but really he was running away from her cooking? :pir-grin:

I think I will discontinue press-ganging altogether. Pressing from foreign nations contributed to the IRL War of 1812 so I won't dare touch any Oleons.

On a separate note, is there anything else I need to do for the MRCA?

46 minutes ago, DeathCap said:

I built it because I thought it was an interesting aspect of history.

If it is of interest to you and inspires you to build(s): do it! I did not want to come across as "don't do this", I am just interested in what motivated you. And while there are some historical aspects of the Age of Sail one should keep out of this game - i.e. against the rules - impressment is not among them.

46 minutes ago, boeing_787_8_dreamliner said:

I made up a character. How and where can I put this in?

You can either write down your story and post it here with an image of your character, or you can post it as a new topic by creating a topic.

Welcome to BoBS!

1 hour ago, boeing_787_8_dreamliner said:

I made up a character. How and where can I put this in?

In any of the 3 faction chats, depending on what faction you want to play as! 

this is my character

William Parker was born in Corrington. Grew up in poor circumstances. At the age of 12 he went to sea for the first time on a warship. He fought bravely in many battles and soon attained the rank of lieutenant. In a bloody battle he lost his leg and was captured. After returning from captivity, he resigned from the Royal Navy for health reasons. Then he started a career at a royal shipyard. He worked his way up the ranks fairly quickly and earned a substantial sum. He opened his own shipyard and from now on builds ships for the Royal Navy.

What do I have to do if I have several ships and want to give them to other players?