Bregir

Corrington: Sign-up and Discussion, Era II

28872051098_5aeb7fd877.jpg

Sir Lachlan Campbell (NPC), Under-secretary of Discovery in the Parliament of Science, has arrived in King's Harbour to review candidates for the board of the Royal Society of Navigation and Discovery. A renowned statesman, soldier and scientist, Sir Lachlan held one of the first Royal Adventurer positions and has been a member of the parliament of Science for many years now. He has recently been appointed Under-secretary to represent the Secretary of Discovery in Terra Nova, and will establish a headquarters somewhere in the Colonies. For now he has been given rooms in King's Harbour, by Colonial Governor Jonathan Cooke from where he will review candidates for the Royal Society of Navigation and Discovery (RSNP) whose aim will be to coordinate future Corlander voyages of discovery and colonisation. An offer for the position of Chairman of the RSND is expected to be made shortly, with announcements for Director of Operations and Director of Security to follow once the Chairman is confirmed.

Long Live the Queen!

Dear Sirs

Following the appointment of Wilbur Epper II as Chairman of the Royal Society of Navigation and Discovery, her Majesty hereby appoints Ralph Clutchington VP of Operations ( @LM71Blackbird) and Sterling Blackwood VP of Security ( @Ayrlego).

Further, the official charter for the Royal Society is hereby issued as attached.

Spencer Robinson

Secretary of Discovery

Will Corrington now control the Brick Seas with the launch of their first First-rate ship-of-the-line and the most powerful ship ever launched?

To all Loyal Corlanders,

The Royal Society of Navigation and Discovery is seeking additional funding, and hence hereby issues a series of 10 bonds of each 100 dbs, as per its charter.

Please inform your local representative (in this thread) if you are interested in investing in Corrington's future, and if so, how many bonds you would at max be willing to purchase. The final distribution will be decided as per the charter.

Best regards

Sir Edward Summerridge

Executive Director, BoC

Sir Edward Summeridge, 

I have read that you are seeking investments into bonds for the Royal Society of Navigation and Discovery. I have considerable interest in the success of this Royal Society. From my own personal estate, I have authorized investments for as much as you are in need of up to 1000dbs. Please advise how much you would need transferred at this time. 

Sir Micah of Wolfhaven
Chair of Wolf's Equine, Trading, and Expedition Company

To commander-in-chief, rear-admiral Fletcher,

On a routine patrol in the seas surrounding Cocovia and Annetta we sighted a number of sails on the horizon, heading for the trade routes to the Southern Isles. I gave the order to close to investigate. It proved to be a fleet under the black flag, in my best assessment consisting of three class 7 warships and a class 4. With only the HMS Badger in consort, and hence heavily outgunned, we stood to leeward to maintain eyes on the enemy, should reinforcements become available or merchant ships be in danger.

After a short while, the foremast look-out identified the enemy flagship as the notorious Komodo Dragon.

At 5 bells in the forenoon watch, however, wind failed us and after a short calm, changed to give the pirates the weather gage. They stood down on us and after a short dash to windward, it was clear that we could not avoid interception. I ordered both ships to beat to quarters immediately.

Knowing that we were outnumbered, I decided to go for the flagship. The HMS Badger passed to leeward and the HMS Ironsides to windward, raking the Komodo Dragon in turn before taking her under two fires. The HMS Ironsides lived up to her name and most enemy fire did little damage, but the lighter built HMS Badger took heavy damage. I ordered the HMS Badger to withdraw and made to follow her closely. The last joint broadside from the two RN ships seems to have caused a leak in the enemy flagship, as she started tossing her guns over board and pumping out her water, but to no avail, as she sunk shortly thereafter,

Unfortunately, a lucky shot from the Killer Frog knocked down the main topmast of the HMS Badger, which took with it the foretopmast too. We moved to take her in tow, but the Killer Frog closed fast and boarded, preventing our efforts. The Black Flag fleet made no efforts of giving chase of the HMS Ironsides, being busy collecting survivors from the Komodo Dragon and repairing the damage we had caused. They were last seen heading East.

I must say that the officers and crew of the HMS Badger fought valiantly throughout the battle.

In Her Majesty's service

Captain Jno. Cooke, RN

HMS Ironsides

Sir Edward Summeridge                                                                                                                        July 618 AE
                                                                                                                                                    Jameston, Celestia
Dear Sir,
In response to the Royal Society of Navigation and Discovery's request for additional funding, I offer to purchase
bonds up to a value of 200dbs. The expansion of Corrington and advancement of science is in the interest of
every loyal citizen. I trust that you will be of service in facilitating this transaction.

I have the honour to be, &c.,
Lieutenant Lawliet Lavendwood, HM Royal Navy, HMS Intrepid

9 July 618, Jameston

Sir Edward Summeridge,

I am authorised to pledge the initial purchase of bonds up to the value of 500DB in the Royal Society of Navigation and Discovery from the personal estate of Colonel Sir Dirk Allcock.

Kind Regards,

Samuel Woodruff

Managing Director, Allcock Trading Company

@Bregir a very nice write out of a the battle, fun to read as an indepth story next to the KPA. 

Sir Edward Summeridge,

I authorise the purchase of Royal Society of Navigation and Discovery bonds for up to 1000DB.

Major Bertram Rickard Wolf

3 July 618, Port Woodhouse, Garma's Key

Kadeus Mordo,

It has come to our attention that the WTC has announced the implementation of a 'harbour tax' for the use of WTC facilities in the settlement of Mesabi Landing. The office of the Colonial Government of the Paradise Isles would have you remember that it is the official policy of the Crown of Corrington that all Her Majesties ports in Terra Nova remain open to free and fair trade for all. While this office will not prevent a WTC 'harbour tax', we will clarify publicly that this is a fee levied by the WTC for the use of WTC facilities in the settlement. It is not an official tax for visiting the Crown settlement of Mesabi Landing. Should non-WTC owned commercial harbour facilities become available in Mesabi Landing in the future, then it should be understood that these facilities would be exempt from any attempt of taxation by the WTC.

Furthermore, regardless of the ownership of any harbour facilities, Royal Naval vessels or vessels travelling on official Colonial business will not pay any tax levied by local administrative authorities in any Crown settlement. Any attempt to enforce local administrative fees on these vessels will be rejected.

Commander Matthew Allcock, RN

Acting-Colonial Governor, Paradise Isles.

OOC: @Drunknok An interesting take on the harbour tax concept, I look forward to seeing how it plays out.

@Ayrlego

The detailed IC response is appreciated, and I get the point you want to get across. If you want to, I can do the same for the following. For now, all of this is OOC.

While the wording implies otherwise - this mistake is on me (and has been corrected now) - the new "harbour taxes" for Mesabi Landing are IC on top of any actual taxes ships would pay for docking. Those latter real taxes are the ones not played out in EGS terms, and paid by everybody, WTC or not, to the Crown.

The ones set up now reflect events that can happen while in port, together with their monetary good or bad outcomes. They are called "taxes" because by all intents and purposes OOC they are treated that way - but they are no taxes in the meaning of "money paid to the Crown of Corrington". All of this goes to the settlement. I should have made that clearer the first time around, and will change the wording now to make it so (done).

The exemption of WTC vessels was chosen so Mesabi and I do not pay money to our own settlement - or get paid by it.

An exemption for other Corrington faction ships will not be granted. Please note that by sailing into the port you accept any outcome that might apply to your ship(s), positive or negative. If you wish to not pay anything, you have the choice to do so - by not sailing to Mesabi Landing.

Edit: The original statements regarding this have been changed, to account for the reasoning given above. See here for the detailed version. This is no longer an IC tax, even if it is OOC handled like one. I apologise for any misunderstandings or inconveniece this might have caused.

Edited by Drunknok

@Drunknok

Super - it may be a bit pedantic, but as you say yourself, this is *not* a tax. It represents events happening in the unruly port of ML. Corrington does not (currently) levy any taxes on visiting its ports, and we are planning on it staying that way.

For my owns ships already there, I will stay exempt from the tax for this round, mainly by administrative reasons. :)

40 minutes ago, Bregir said:

@Drunknok

Super - it may be a bit pedantic, but as you say yourself, this is *not* a tax. It represents events happening in the unruly port of ML. Corrington does not (currently) levy any taxes on visiting its ports, and we are planning on it staying that way.

Aye. :thumbup:

For my owns ships already there, I will stay exempt from the tax for this round, mainly by administrative reasons. :)

Of course you are excempt, since the whole thing is only fully started next MCRA turn. However, if you want to, you are free to ask for an "early treatment"; I gave that offer somewhere else already, and it still stands.

Edited by Drunknok

14 hours ago, Drunknok said:

An exemption for other Corrington faction ships will not be granted. Please note that by sailing into the port you accept any outcome that might apply to your ship(s), positive or negative. If you wish to not pay anything, you have the choice to do so - by not sailing to Mesabi Landing.

I back up @Drunknok with the random roles for Mesabi Landing. I love the idea, and I hope it brings more people to Mesabi Landing.

And, if anyone wants to avoid the Chaos, you're free to dock in any of the other 3 Corrish Ports in zone 35 :wink:.