Bregir

Corrington: Sign-up and Discussion, Era II

Just now, Bregir said:

Flickr seems a more stable and user friendly option to me :)

Seconded. You have to set up a Yahoo account, but it's great and you can use it with your phone.

I have a suggestion: how about one of Corringtons' colonies has a rebellion.:pir-classic: (Merica)  Anyway, I would rather use a "Lego" website like brickshelf.

Edited by Hart New Bob

15 minutes ago, Hart New Bob said:

I would rather use a "Lego" website like brickshelf.

FWIW, I use Brickshelf and have been happy with it, save one time when they were going through upgrades.

And welcome to BoBS!

Well who would've thought we would be having a discussion about the word 'mate' among all the other things there is to discuss. Honestly though, it is a little bit funny when yanks say mate ( in person that is ), it just sounds a little bit unnatural. Nothing wrong with it of course, just funny. That being said, Mesabi if you spell color as colour, well I can respect that. You now have one final trial and it is the hardest one. CONVERT TO THE METRIC SYSTEM!!! 

3 hours ago, Hart New Bob said:

I have a suggestion: how about one of Corringtons' colonies has a rebellion.:pir-classic: (Merica)  Anyway, I would rather use a "Lego" website like brickshelf.

Welcome to Bobs!

A rebel colony sounds like an excellent idea, well, relatively, maybe not so good for the Corries.:tongue: 

10 minutes ago, Bodi said:

Welcome to Bobs!

A rebel colony sounds like an excellent idea, well, relatively, maybe not so good for the Corries.:tongue: 

:thumbup:  But the real question would be.... who would their leader be called, Washingbrick?  Maybe, Brickington(dun dun dunn)?!?! :pir_laugh2:

1 minute ago, Hart New Bob said:

:thumbup:  But the real question would be.... who would their leader be called, Washingbrick?  Maybe, Brickington(dun dun dunn)?!?! :pir_laugh2:

I have already someone's name in mind, but I won't name him here.:pir-laugh:

A rebel colony sounds like a pretty cool idea, it could make for a great challenge, although keep in mind people did have to work hard for those islands and colonies so it would be a little bit unfair to just say " Hey remember that island you won for our nation through lots of hard work, well their now in rebellion have fun ". That being said I believe there are a few territories in the Old World that were captured from Oleon, perhaps they could revolt?

Edited by Lord Buckethead

1 hour ago, Lord Buckethead said:

A rebel colony sounds like a pretty cool idea, it could make for a great challenge, although keep in mind people did have to work hard for those islands and colonies so it would be a little bit unfair to just say " Hey remember that island you won for our nation through lots of hard work, well their now in rebellion have fun ". That being said I believe there are a few territories in the Old World that were captured from Oleon, perhaps they could revolt?

Nah, historically, we Oleanders prefer to sell our colonnies at fair price, and waste thousands of life for a small piece of land in the old world.:pir-grin: This said, I still think a merica like faction would be a fun addition to Bobs.

1 hour ago, Bodi said:

Nah, historically, we Oleanders prefer to sell our colonnies at fair price, and waste thousands of life for a small piece of land in the old world.:pir-grin: This said, I still think a merica like faction would be a fun addition to Bobs.

Hasn't Oleon a New Oleon part that could function as Merica? :p

Currently, the challenge pipeline is well full, but quests for independence is something we have been considering for future challenges. However, it is more suited for a more developed colonial world, so it probably it will not come up for the next few era's.

That said, we are always open to inspiration for upcoming challenges! :)

2 hours ago, Maxim I said:

Hasn't Oleon a New Oleon part that could function as Merica? :p

Are you suggesting me to set up a rebellion in our own colony? Nice try.:tongue:

About the word 'mate'; some of us can affect enough of an accent to make not odd sounding, but then we'd have to keep up that accent.

Something to note for Brits; some Americans, particularly those who identify as southern, will take offense at being called 'Yank'.

On 12-9-2017 at 3:26 PM, Bregir said:

To some degree, certainly, but I also distinctively remember a very prominent MAESTRO member being very vocal in throwing around accusations about Corlanders supporting Mardier... :P

MAESTRO: "It's complicated" ;)

It wasn't me, it wasn't me! At least this time, it wasn't me! :grin: 

The second statement is completely true however!

I'd like to rededicate myself to this game so sign me up! I may need a helping hand in starting up but I have a freebuild on the way to reintroduce my sigfig. 

Ps. in response to an earlier post; Scots can get away with saying 'mate' too :tongue:

Edited by Spud The Viking

Dear sirs and ladies, and the powers that be in Corrington. I would like to introduce to you a fellow citizen who just made it to the New World.

Reinhard was born as the second son into a wealthy family in the Old World. To teach him the worth of hard work, his father sent him to become a carpenter at the age of 8. Having mastered that – including the lesson that there are much more important things in life than riches and gold - at the age of 17 Reinhard started studies of his own interest: what could be learned of the world as a whole, the lands, people and wildlife near and far.

After years of theoretical studies in history, cartography and sciences, it was only at the age of 25 that Reinhard joined his first actual expedition into the „real world“. While in the beginning he was belittled by his expedition members for knowing almost nothing but books, Reinhard soon made a name for himself due to his practical skills with axe and hammer, as well as useful information about all kinds of things. Books were not so theoretical after all!

Years of exploration all over the Old World followed.

Then, a few months ago, the head of the Wollfson family, Reinhards father, died of old age. As is usual, the responsibilities and status were passed on to Reinhards older brother Henry. This did not bother either of them, since Henry had been prepared for this role hin entire life (in fact, he had taken over the families business over years ago), and it left Reinhard with still some considerable wealth.

Reinhard had already thought about leaving for the New World for a while, and found this to be the right time to make a move: leave now, exploring a whole new world, while still expanding his families influence over in the colonies.

Now, almost 48 years of age, Reinhard was about to start a new life in the New World.

Sailing to Arlinsport, with enough money for a house and a ship, the head full of hopes for future discoveries, this is Reinhard Wolffson:

C2xAtdV.jpg

T664ju3.jpg

BbRl2nm.jpg

On this last picture you can see Reinhard with two of his signature items: his trusted axe, that has done good work since the days as carpenter to all of his expeditions that came later, as well as a map of one of his discoveries. His impressive hat displays the Corrington red in form of an exotic birds feather, but apart from that the clothing is strictly practical. The monocle is a sign of age - the many books did improve Reinhards mind, but not his eyesight.

Now on to new adventures!

=====================================================================================================================

What to do next, both in and out of character? Is there something else I have to do to register my character?

I chose Arlinsport as my "starting point", because it should be easy to find Reinhard an appropriate house there, as well as to recruit a captain and crew (plus ship of course) soon. Any suggestions concerning both that, as well as future expeditions, are appreciated. I am sure I will have a lot more questions soon. :pir-grin:

Edited by Drunknok

8 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

I would like to introduce to you a fellow citizen who just made it to the New World.

Even though I hail from Eslandola, allow me to say "Welcome to BoBS!" Nice sigfig. Reinhard has a bit of a Teddy Roosevelt look to him. I like it! And I like how you modeled the breaking waves at the bow of your ship.

Looking forward to hearing more about Reinhard Wolffson's adventures to come in the BrickSeas!

Welcome Drunknok! Great introduction and I look forward to your stories.

30 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

What to do next, both in and out of character? Is there something else I have to do to register my character?

Not really anything else for you to do to register your character.

If you want to participate in the Economic Game System (EGS) you should submit a build submittal form to earn your first DB, and you may want to pop a quick comment in the the Accounts thread asking the guys there to add you to the accounts spreadsheet.

34 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

I chose Arlinsport as my "starting point"

Good choice, most of us Corries started the game in Arlinsport. If you are playing the EGS, you get a small first property free, so you may want to build a house or tavern in which Reinhard is residing before beginning his adventures.

Welcome to Terra Nova, Reinhardt Wollfson. A very interesting backstory, and an inventive sig fig. I shall be looking forward to following, and perhaps partaking in, his adventures in the Brick Seas.

Corrington welcomes you, and your fellows will certainly aid you, should you have any questions.

2 hours ago, Drunknok said:

I chose Arlinsport as my "starting point", because it should be easy to find Reinhard an appropriate house there, as well as to recruit a captain and crew (plus ship of course) soon. Any suggestions concerning both that, as well as future expeditions, are appreciated. I am sure I will have a lot more questions soon. :pir-grin:

Great to have another Corrie! I'm sure @Lord Buckethead will be glad to no longer be the rookie. :wink:

Well, out of character, we mostly just compliment each other's builds, argue over challenge 5, and fill out web forms. 

In Character, well that's up to you. You can cause chaos, or work to create your own trading company, or join one of the existing ones. 

Really, just make good stories. That's what I try to do, since I'm not a great builder. The world of BoBS is big, and there's many places to visit. I usually plan out a month or two ahead, get distracted by something, and build for that. 

Oh, and nice boat! I'd like to see some more pictures of her.

Everybody: thank you for your warm welcome. :classic:

1 minute ago, Mesabi said:

Oh, and nice boat! I'd like to see some more pictures of her.

Thanks, but it is not a MOC of mine. This is the Imperial Flagship with only minimal alterations. I added a figurehead from the Brickbeard's Bounty (of which I have three sets - one to keep as it is, two to be combined into a "big ship" soon), changed the rigginh a bit, and added a ladder in the rear section. Some additional pictures:

T664ju3.jpg

rzFPFX1.jpg

3cvyfKc.jpg

XmI5iK2.jpg

The Imperial Flagship was one of my first bigger Lego sets, got lost during my Dark Ages, and was high on the list of things I wanted to "get back". I understand that is not encouraged to use "standard kit builds", but for the time being I will keep it as it is, if only for nostalgias sake. As this will not be Reinhards ship. I guess it is fine to be used as it is.

Welcome Reinhard Wolffson! The sig fig looks great and I like the photography skills you are showing off so far. Also great job on the boat cutting through the waves. I look forward to your stories!