Sign in to follow this  
Trancedout

Santa Fe 3751 (Los Angeles-San Bernardino) Feat. High Speed Pace!

I saw this some time ago on another forum, but it's still really cool! Just amazing to see that thing running in traffic.

I had no idea there was a place where rail and highway intertwined like this, and in California (my home state) no less. 

Neat. I've seen that before on YouTube.  It gave me some ideas for a beating holiday traffic and speed trap build last year.  Have a happy and safe July 4th.   :classic:

31519303731_0aca980bd2.jpgRail Camper by dr_spock_888, on Flickr

nice - is it normal to have an additional motorized vehicle after the steam locomotive? 

1 hour ago, harnbak said:

nice - is it normal to have an additional motorized vehicle after the steam locomotive? 

I would guess that diesel locomotive is there to provide HEP (electricity) for the passenger cars.  Modern passenger cars no longer can use steam for heating and other passenger comforts.

3 hours ago, dr_spock said:

I would guess that diesel locomotive is there to provide HEP (electricity) for the passenger cars.  Modern passenger cars no longer can use steam for heating and other passenger comforts.

They often do that on British mainline steam hauled trains too. For heating (as mentioned) and also sometimes the breaking system.

On 7/3/2017 at 0:34 AM, Commander Wolf said:

I saw this some time ago on another forum, but it's still really cool! Just amazing to see that thing running in traffic.

I had no idea there was a place where rail and highway intertwined like this, and in California (my home state) no less. 

There is a portion of SR85 in California where the UP rails runs adjacent to the freeway, but you would not know it unless you used google maps on the satellite image settings.  If my memory's correct, nobody's really seen it because there's a huge wall used as a sound barrier on both sides as it snakes its way to a local cement plant.