Hey Eurobricks space!

Posting my second MOC to this site. I really like to focus on playability and would love to hear your feedback on my designs :)

This one is based on the Cutlass Black from the upcoming Star Citizen game. Though I do not play the game's current alpha, I love some of the art concepts. In the Star Citizen lore, the Cutlass Black is the model of Cutlass ship ideal for pirating - a balance of guns, maneuverability, and storage. A conveniently named model to be employed by Lego's leading space antagonists!

34833939704_9e4f59e580_c.jpg

Rugged jack-of-all trades. Armed with two smaller front guns and two pivotable cannons for the gunner on top with fully pivoting powerful engines. I really wanted to make the top turret spinnable, but adding that function would have taken the main gunner area further out of scale. I settled with pivoting up or down and giving the gunner access to the station from the main hold. The ammo boxes for the main guns seemed like a good place for a hit of yellow.

35544704751_0e4ff69ff1_c.jpg

I went through a few iterations on the front cockpit, this combo felt appropriate for a narrow but tall front area. I had a lot of the black 8x4 wing pieces from my childhood and felt that this would be a good opportunity to use them for the "belly" shaping of the ship.

34834037984_3fc5b2d717_c.jpg

Really wanted to incorporate functional landing gear and compact axles felt appropriate.

34833929334_4c83a62994_c.jpg

I wanted to get some playability in the engines and went with a gearbox rotating them in opposite directions, accessible from the rear middle of the ship. I felt this captures the feel of a very maneuverable craft which excels at dogfighting despite having a decently sized cargo hold.

35674932315_35c54ba2c4_c.jpg

Plenty of space inside, even to take a nap. The side panels include rotating thrusters and removable for easy access.

34865851833_96d3b64500_c.jpg

Blacktron mercenary team left to right:

Earl the Engineer armed with laser cutter for breaching spacecraft during pirating.

Sniper Stacey takes care of those pesky defense drones and spacewalking troops deployed by a target ship.

Wally the Warlord bosses everyone around, worries about finances, and holds a ceremonial weapon.

Assault Andy armed with a shield, laser shotgun, and intimidating helmet. First one clearing rooms during a breaching operation.

Heavy Weapons Helga armed with rocket launcher and heavy machine laser for when things get dicey inside a target ship.

Nice! I like the rotating engines. And I especially like the tiles with the computery yellow buttons/lights. 

The basic shape of the ship is pretty good, but I feel like the panels jutting out from the front of the ship need to be a bit thicker, and the ship overall could use some more tiles. Nice work on the cockpits and functions, though!

I personally prefer the Blacktron II livery as I feel the white and black contrast shows off a ship better than a just a giant mass of black, but I realize not everyone feels the same. Eh.

But the thruster manoeuvre is a cool concept. I imagine in a dogfight it would start spiraling as if out of control, making its pursuer believe it had been hit, when really it's a ruse so it can escape cleverly. :wink: Nice touch.

7 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Cool MOC! Sort of Star Trekkie with the thrusters. Nice rogue collection as well. Thumbs up.

thanks man!

3 hours ago, danth said:

Nice! I like the rotating engines. And I especially like the tiles with the computery yellow buttons/lights. 

I almost peeled off those stickers when I got a used malevolence, glad I did not.. :)

2 hours ago, Umbra-Manis said:

The basic shape of the ship is pretty good, but I feel like the panels jutting out from the front of the ship need to be a bit thicker, and the ship overall could use some more tiles. Nice work on the cockpits and functions, though!

thanks, I feel you on the pimpliness, next time less stingy with the tiles..

2 hours ago, rodiziorobs said:

I personally prefer the Blacktron II livery as I feel the white and black contrast shows off a ship better than a just a giant mass of black, but I realize not everyone feels the same. Eh.

But the thruster manoeuvre is a cool concept. I imagine in a dogfight it would start spiraling as if out of control, making its pursuer believe it had been hit, when really it's a ruse so it can escape cleverly. :wink: Nice touch.

haha, this was the intention! check out this vid 

Just now, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Very sleek ...I like the double cockpit :wub:

thank you!

Edited by mishtron
text didn't paste