Hi everybody!

I started this topic to keep you updated with the progress of this project.

I'm developing a new system that will allow you to use brushless engines (those used in ordinary RC cars) and 100% compatibility with lego.  

maybe controlled by Sbrick?

Soon I will post some photos with the first try.

If you want to suggest some new functions to develop or how to improve it I'll be glad :sweet:

What I'd really want is the same style of RC we have in Lego at the moment, but with modern components - 2.4ghz remote and receiver, digitally proportional servo, and brushless motors.

But it doesn't seem like you will be going that far :laugh:.

Am I right in thinking that you are making something to go between the Lego controller and the brushless motors?

Hey, @zambosky

Next time, try to put some content or info into your opening post, please. Even better, wait until you have some pictures, videos etc.

You just wrote what you will build/create.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, zambosky said:

I'm developing a new system that will allow you to use brushless engines (those used in ordinary RC cars)

Do we actually want that? I'm flexible on purism, but 1. Where's the fun/challenge in that? and 2. These motors (I'm assuming motors were what you meant) are powerful enough to drill or melt Lego axles, gears and other pieces.

7 hours ago, Milan said:

Next time, try to put some content or info into your opening post, please. Even better, wait until you have some pictures, videos etc.

You just wrote what you will build/create.

Like some people in their WIP topics? :)

8 hours ago, zambosky said:

Hi everybody!

I started this topic to keep you updated with the progress of this project.

I'm developing a new system that will allow you to use brushless engines (those used in ordinary RC cars) and 100% compatibility with lego.  

Soon I will post some photos with the first try.

If you want to suggest some new functions to develop or how to improve it I'll be glad :sweet:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but an Sbrick will get fried by a brushless motor if they were even compatible. Lego motors are brushed so they have 2 wires, while brushless motors have 3 wires, and require a brushless system, the Sbrick is brushed so it will not work. Your best bet is to get a 1100mah or higher Mimh-LiPo battery, brushless ESC, a FlySky remote-reciever combo because it is cheap but high quality, and a 380 brushless motor, anything else with a larger can size will be much harder to deal with, @PorkyMonster has used a 540 in his builds with success though.

2 hours ago, Sariel said:

Do we actually want that? I'm flexible on purism, but 1. Where's the fun/challenge in that? and 2. These motors (I'm assuming motors were what you meant) are powerful enough to drill or melt Lego axles, gears and other pieces.

Sariel has a point,

If you've seen those 'amazing Lego engine sound' videos, you would know that at high RPGs Lego starts to shred...

However there is one YouTuber who I have forgotten the name of but he fitted a mini Z motor into a Lego M motor and that worked. Though, he used a normal 2.4ghz system and not a s brick.

Anyways good luck! :classic:

3 hours ago, Sariel said:

No..... we do not.  Lego will be destroyed.  We get these posts every now and then.  They are aspirational, to be sure.... but just not realistic. 

15 hours ago, zambosky said:

Nice... especially the "100% compatibility with lego" part :laugh:, because that is what really matters to the people here - they'd rather spend much more on Lego's RC unit/motor than on the cheaper, more widely available and more powerful 3rd party motors, because without the necessary pinholes/axle holes they don't know how to proceed. Of course, there are also people with different ideas of fun, so speed and torque are not something that they crave :laugh:.

I think your idea is highly feasible, but I'll just share my thoughts on three specific areas:

(1) There is probably no point working with Lego's PF receiver (perhaps you already know this, since you didn't mention it), because even if you get the signalling through, the control range would be pathetic.

(2) You probably need to add "something" between Sbrick and the brushless motor - something ESC-like, that converts simple forward/reverse and speed signals into brushless' equivalent, while at the same time handling different modes of acceleration and braking, among other great functions of typical ESCs. So this ESC-like component should ideally be able to plug into Sbrick just like Lego's motors. This ESC-like component should also be the one that feed power to the brushless motors.

(3) I'm not sure about your experience with brushless motors... but gearing down might be necessary (unless you use small brushless motors or feed it low voltages) to ensure that the rpm through EVERY Lego pinholes do not exceed 4-5k (which is already very good, considering that a model using the porsche wheels can reach ~77km/h!!!! if you get the weight/power ratio right, and bigger wheels -> even higher speed!!!)... below this, brushless motors won't melt Lego (and btw, gearing down is nothing new - Lego PF motors are all geared down within their packaging).

I would have done something similar if the people here were interested, and if my focus wasn't so much on having fun myself :tongue:.

Edited by PorkyMonster

hi guys i can't make photos because i'm in spain for the holydays till the 16 of july, when i come back i'll post some photos and videos Asap.

Obviusly the motors have been geared down and the esc controller for the motors has been setted for a maximum of 6000 rpm allowed.

for the 100% compatibility i explained my self wrong, for me compatibility with lego means that the engine have to been covered with a 3d printed cover that allows to connect it like the stock lego motors.

Now i'm doing some tests to find the real maximum rpm and torque allowed with lego ;)

sorry if this topic will be a little bit in slow progress but my free time is very little

Edited by zambosky

1. It's not "engine", it's "motor". No offense, but it would be easier to take your project seriously if you described it in proper English.

2. Your idea sounds exactly like RCBRICKS idea, except that it was much more complete and yet it didn't succeed: