Rudivdk

[MOC] 7-seater Family Car (Digital File and Instructions DONE, now up on Rebrickable!!!)

Just now, IA creations said:

Can't wait :sweet:

Just updated some quick n dirty pics right now

I would like to have a real 1:1 scale version for my family! Very impressive build.

16 minutes ago, LvdH said:

Are there any particularly rare pieces in this car? I think I see an 11L soft axle on the front and a lot of white bushes. Although the latter isn't very rare, German Bricklink stores have us stocked on those :grin: 

Dunno for sure what parts are rare actually... maybe the Ferrari499 wheelcovers? I've got a bunch of white bushes and white half bushes in there, indeed an 11l (or 12l, I am not sure...) flexaxle in the front and 4x19l flexaxles on the wheelarches. I used DBG engine parts (instead of regular LBG ) with red cilinders, but they are actually near invisible... There are also some less common yellow double pin with bush, and some black bushes and yellow bushes. None of them are particularly rare I think. Some parts I used in very large quantities, depleting my own (not so small) collection, like white 1x2x0,5 liftarms.

In a few weeks I hope to have the digital file ready, then I can share a full partslist.

Edited by Rudivdk

Congratulations on finishing this beast. I love the mechanics and the functionality you managed to get into this car. I especially admire the fact that you were able to make a front wheel driven car with the gearbox and the engine all between the frontwheels.

The car could do with a few horizontal lines in the bodywork to break up the white expanse (just like on the Ford you showed). It would make the model look sleeker.

Do you already have inspiration for your next project?

5 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Congratulations on finishing this beast. I love the mechanics and the functionality you managed to get into this car. I especially admire the fact that you were able to make a front wheel driven car with the gearbox and the engine all between the frontwheels.

The car could do with a few horizontal lines in the bodywork to break up the white expanse (just like on the Ford you showed). It would make the model look sleeker.

Do you already have inspiration for your next project?

Thanx Jeroen! Agreed, the sides are a bit flat, but I have no idea how to change anything there... Every part is connected to something else...

My next project will probably be a European style sports sedan or hatchback. I am pondering about a way to create an 8speed gearbox with sequential stepper shifter (probably your design) that would be small enough to fit in the floor section... Bodywork will be a v2.0 of my avatar.

But first I want to finish the LDCad and instructions for this one.

21 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

Thanx Jeroen! Agreed, the sides are a bit flat, but I have no idea how to change anything there... Every part is connected to something else...

My next project will probably be a European style sports sedan or hatchback. I am pondering about a way to create an 8speed gearbox with sequential stepper shifter (probably your design) that would be small enough to fit in the floor section... Bodywork will be a v2.0 of my avatar.

But first I want to finish the LDCad and instructions for this one.

The only way I could see for those lines is going the sticker way, but I can imagine you don't want to do that.

I'm looking forward to your next project...:thumbup:

As promised earlier, here is the current WIP digital file:

Familycar.mpd

The chassis is 99,9% completed, bodywork is partially done, interior and suspension are not yet added.

It contains some stepping and subfiles, but that will probably change when I will start working on instructions.

It is created with LDCad, but it is compatible with other programs using the .mpd format.

Edited by Rudivdk
Update on file compatibility after Jeroen Ottens comment

The mpd format is universal between the lego CAD SW packages (except for LDD), so that is no issue.

Looking good so far, but step 76 is maybe a bit complicated still :laugh:

8 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

The mpd format is universal between the lego CAD SW packages (except for LDD), so that is no issue.

Looking good so far, but step 76 is maybe a bit complicated still :laugh:

I know about file format compatibility, but I wasn't sure about the flex axles that are generated with some special features in LDCad.

And yeah, step 76 might have to be splitted in two or more steps:wink:

Just now, Rudivdk said:

I know about file format compatibility, but I wasn't sure about the flex axles that are generated with some special features in LDCad.

And yeah, step 76 might have to be splitted in two or more steps:wink:

Flexaxles work fine as well. It does show how powerfull the framework was that James Jessiman developed at the end of last century.

Hi Rudivdk, I know that this MOC is officially done now, but I wanted to ask you, how did you end up with a transverse engine but a longitudinal gearbox? I mean, I have some ideas about a future MOC I would like to build, but I wanted to understand the logic behind the decision. Was it because of the 3L diff needing a longitudinal axle or the gear selector being simpler with the longitudinal configuration? Or maybe something else? As I've mentioned before, this is an awesome MOC. Thanks.

Great van! In some places I'd build in some other way, but this is only imo.
Especially I like the interior! Looks comfortable!

UPD: Glad to build it in the future!

4 hours ago, AttentionSpanner said:

Hi Rudivdk, I know that this MOC is officially done now, but I wanted to ask you, how did you end up with a transverse engine but a longitudinal gearbox? I mean, I have some ideas about a future MOC I would like to build, but I wanted to understand the logic behind the decision. Was it because of the 3L diff needing a longitudinal axle or the gear selector being simpler with the longitudinal configuration? Or maybe something else? As I've mentioned before, this is an awesome MOC. Thanks.

It was more of an evolution than a deliberate decision...

I took the suspension and diff module from sheepo, worked on the shifter with standard TLG configuration gearbox (=longitudinal) and managed to squeeze that in, and ended up putting transverse engine above it because it was the only way to fit an engine in the short, high nose of the car.

I think building transverse 5+R gearbox with available LEGO material in 1:10 scale is almost impossible, given the available limited set of clutchgears and driving rings. Also the uneven studless geometry and the required old style diff (=4studs, so even count), makes it hard to properly allign. And the shifter has to be quite complex, conversing longitudinal movement to transverse movement and vice versa...

This is a very different build, and you nailed it. Everything has its place, and the clever mechanisms all around push this build above most others. The final build is beautiful!! :wub::wub:

Hi all,

It's been a while since I last updated, but I wanted to let you know I am still working on the instructions.

It is a time consuming process, but I will finish it sooner or later, don't worry. Here is some pics of current progress:

instructions%20preview%20p6.JPG

instructions%20preview%20p80.JPG

instructions%20preview%20p118.JPG

35 minutes ago, LvdH said:

So the digital file is done? Do you have a preliminary parts list by any chance?

Sorry, not yet... currently I am building and making instructions at the same time. This way I can ensure that I do not forget or miss any parts.

Build is around 85% complete I guess, instructions close to halfway done.

I will try to focus on finishing the build and releasing a prelim partslist first, than continue with the instructions. I am at a point now where I can safely do this without fear of missing anything, the tricky parts are all built. It will probably still take one or two more weeks, I have limited time at the moment...

Edited by Rudivdk

Hi all (and especially @LvdH)

Preliminary partslist is here:

https://rebrickable.com/inventory/20309/parts/?format=table&

Or as Rebrickable csv.

Rebrickable entry is not yet public, instructions are not finished and there are still some errors in partslist. As a result, partslist will change a little (for example, 1x 12l flexaxle in white and 4x 19l flexaxle in white have not been added to partslist). But it is 99% complete and correct.

Edited by Rudivdk

Just now, LvdH said:

Now I am wondering, is white the only colour it can be built in?

I think it can be built in red as well, but some small parts need to be changed/replaced (I started this build initially in red...), and I guess black is also possible, but then I think the interior color needs to be changed as well (but you would need 4x 19l flexaxle in black which is also expensive...).

12 minutes ago, LvdH said:

You could do something where you make the roof black and the rest another colour. I am sure that also opens up some possibilities :wink: 

Also, 3700 pieces *huh*

Suddenly Renault Espace F1 comes to mind...

And yeah, I was also a little surprised about the number of pieces, but I think at least 1000 of them is (various types of) pins only...

Just now, LvdH said:

You're right and your build does look a lot like it:

I'd be amazed if someone could build it like this. I'm sure there would have to be lots of changes to the bodywork.

Marin Stipkovic already created a brickbuild version once: http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/350781

Would be a fun build for sure, maybe one day:laugh:

Hi all, 

Instructions are finally up: CLICK HERE

NOTE: I put it on Google drive, but you can't preview it from there. You have to download it first. It is a detailed PDF, 200+ Mb in size, so not recommended for mobile phones...

Digital file .MPD is available on my bricksafe gallery as well, see 1st post for link.

I am currently peparing an entry on Rebrickable also...

Edited by Rudivdk