Sign in to follow this  
Mike S

Stormhaven Stone Quarry

The log of Governor Aiden Coyle. 30th June 617:

Vernon Cloggs, while in my employment, found two mining areas of potential north of Stormhaven; one, a stretch along the banks of the Marion River that he said was brimming with gold and the second inland, in a region of rocky hills and pits. Tutut calls the pits ts'onot. Erosion has washed away the loose sediment and soil leaving large bare walls of rock for my men to cut. I have begun my efforts there and set up a stone quarry as I find it imperative to build a stronger foundation for our little town of Stormhaven. Even with the rock bared from soil, it is hard labor, so I make sure the crews of former criminals are rotated between laboring and guarding. I do not have my soldiers guard them anymore but instead seek to instill in them a sense of self worth by giving them the freedom to escape. Each crew elects their own foreman who reports directly to me and I hope that by treating them with the respect and decency of fellow human beings as well as paying them ample wages for their labor, that they will in turn become law abiding citizens as their neighbors in Stormhaven. It is a precarious task as I must continually monitor the disposition of the crews so as to keep their spirits high so that they are not tempted to fall back into their old ways. In any event all goes well and my supply of stone increases with each passing day.

END OF ENTRY

35639699935_e83c1e0cdd_c.jpg

35600228516_d870b738c5_c.jpg

35600227406_f5e82f9cef_c.jpg

That is one heck of a lot of grey bricks for a quarry - they must have taken ages to get to that height! I like the way you have done the palm trees, any chance of a closer look at how they all go together?

Good to see Stormhaven getting some attention, I'll have to revisit for another MOC before too long! Great job!

Nice one Mike! I love your rockwork at the cliff and it gives me courage to build such things without those badly needed wedges, sloped bricks etc etc :hmpf_bad:

Impressed by how good the cliff face looks with straight rock! :thumbup:   Great palm trees as well!

This is impressive! Great writing as well, I like the idea of self redemption.

On 7/1/2017 at 5:47 AM, Ayrlego said:

That is one heck of a lot of grey bricks for a quarry - they must have taken ages to get to that height! I like the way you have done the palm trees, any chance of a closer look at how they all go together?

Good to see Stormhaven getting some attention, I'll have to revisit for another MOC before too long! Great job!

Thanks! The palms are just variations of my old masa palm. I can try to disassemble one side so you can see the pieces used. Oh and I can't remember how long it took to build the cliff since it has been so long since I built it, but I don't think it took too long...

On 7/1/2017 at 5:58 AM, blackdeathgr said:

Nice one Mike! I love your rockwork at the cliff and it gives me courage to build such things without those badly needed wedges, sloped bricks etc etc :hmpf_bad:

I honestly have always been more in awe of the classic build style of using the old brick style cliffs than the newer sloped brick style with one exception: Mass Editor pulls off the sloped brick style with perfection.

On 7/1/2017 at 10:23 AM, Kai NRG said:

Impressed by how good the cliff face looks with straight rock! :thumbup:   Great palm trees as well!

Thank you!

On 7/1/2017 at 10:29 AM, Bodi said:

This is impressive! Great writing as well, I like the idea of self redemption.

Thanks! Just trying to revisit bits of my previous story... :wink:

Edited by Mike S

True scientific approach to rehabilitation of convicts and lovely old style cliffs. I will definitely consider that approach going forward! 

And always good to see Stormhaven get some love. I feel like there have always been some interesting stories brewing up there. :) 

I absolutely love these palm trees.

The height of the whole MOC with the steep brick wall adds quite a lot. Great work on this one!

On 7/6/2017 at 11:45 AM, Bregir said:

True scientific approach to rehabilitation of convicts and lovely old style cliffs. I will definitely consider that approach going forward! 

And always good to see Stormhaven get some love. I feel like there have always been some interesting stories brewing up there. :) 

Truly I do have some adventurous stories brewing in Stormhaven. Hopefully they will be interesting...:laugh:

On 7/7/2017 at 1:22 PM, Elostirion said:

I absolutely love these palm trees.

The height of the whole MOC with the steep brick wall adds quite a lot. Great work on this one!

Thanks!