Sign in to follow this  
Legofin2012

Life in Mid-River

Life is calm and humble in the small Northern town of Mid-River. Although far north, summer is generally pleasant, with only irregular snowfall from time to time and a cool breeze. As the sun sets the market is packed away, and a few buckets of water are collected to last the night. Although aware of a possible Algus threat, life continues in the Northern Clan.

34772074464_72b2b7a0d3_c.jpg

So I haven't been particularly active in GoH recently, for multiple reasons, I've been rather busy with exams, sorting my future out, and in free time this. And honestly I'm glad it's finished, photography was difficult and took nearly a whole day and over 100 photo attempts. This is also an entry for the immersive scene category of Summer Joust, so I thought I'd tie it in with GoH to expand my village :classic:

- Thanks for looking!

Top notch scene Legofin, great work incorporating multiple levels, and just the right amount of colors used throughout! :thumbup:  

Great to see something from you again! :thumbup:  Neat work with the scene - the well and awning are some excellent details, and the blue colors add a lot to the cool feel of the build!  Very nice work with the background as well, especially the snow-topped mountain back there! :classic:

This is a great SJ immersive entry, the houses are fantastic and the light blues really bring it to life. There are some awesome little scenes as well and I love the mountains.

Nice job LegoFin! The immersive scene worked out really well, and the image looks good to me. Nothing to remark here, just a great build :wink: 

Great forced perspective, Legofin! The log palisade and the tops of the pine trees as a mid-ground between the mountains in the background and the buildings in the foreground make the depth illusion work well. The photo is a bit dark, however, which is a bummer. The other thing I think needs some work is the texturing of the stone on the building on the left. There is something just a bit off about it to me, perhaps due to the three colors of stone with the different textures, all in such a small area. I find that in smaller areas, too many textures and colors detract from the wall's appearance, whereas in larger areas too few textures detract. Just a thought. The layout and the angles are great, and as I said, I love the illusion of depth that you have created, as it is one of the better forced perspective all-LEGO builds I have seen in that regard. 

This is a lovely street scene with lots of nice little touches. It captures the essence of Mitgardia with smaller scale settlements than the bustling south. I can imagine the hardy folk spend more time indoors when they can but get out and about in streets like this.

Really a fabulous composition here :wub: The bits of houses you can see in the foreground, well and awning towards the middle, small pine trees, and then finally the mountains and sky really bring the scene to life and convey a wonderful sense of depth :thumbup:

Fun touch with the antlers on the left house too. Perhaps a slight bit of decoration in the space on the wall between the bottom roofs of the right building would look nice :classic:

Beautiful build Legofin, I really like the fp background scenery you made. Nice job man :wink:

very nice shot, Legofin. I've had a hard time photographing my 'immersive' scene too, but I reckon ur result is much better than mine :thumbup: Also love that house on the left :drool:

Fine work LF! Lots of fun little details to enjoy. As mentioned already, the forced perspective is top notch (the snow-topped trees in the background are brilliant!). I love the little splashes of color i.e. the sand blue, green door tan sticks, etc. I would concur with Henjin and suggest a little less texturing or at least going with a couple of more subtle options. I don't really like the use of cheese slopes in the wall, the triangular shapes just don't seem natural. Also, I think you would enjoy the texture provided by tiles if you placed them on headlight bricks rather than stud bricks. With the headlight's offset, the attached tile sinks in and forms a more subtle detail.

I like the photo angle, but may I ask about your setup? Were you shooting indoors or outside? The color is off, which suggests to me that your white balance is off (easy enough to fix) and/or you're not using a daylight bulb for your interior photo setup. It also looks like the ISO was turned way up (the photo is a little grainy at parts), which you can fix by lowering it and using a tripod to keep the camera steady. Hope any of this helps!

Excellent immersive scene, Legofin!

The forced perspective is both realistic and whimsical at the same time!  The different buildings are neat, though I do agree on the comments made by HQ and ME.  The little splashes of snow and ice with the blue flowers really adds a lot to the scene, as does the minifigure activity.

As was earlier noted, the photography is not as good as it could be (though still better than some that I have tried!).  I know photography of an immersive scene is very difficult, as I have both attempted and plan to attempt immersive scenes.  As ME noted, I would try to use light outside on a cloudy day or full spectrum indirect or diffused lighting inside.  Also check your white balance and ISO as mentioned by ME.  Getting the proper focus in an immersive scene is difficult, but I recommend taking the picture from further away and cropping the outside to get down to the scene you want.  This does lose some resolution, but seems to work better for focus to prevent portions of the scene from being blurred.  The frustrating part is that the "real" scene would have blurred portions if you were to walk through this MOC, as you cannot focus on everything at once.  In reality, your eyes would shift focus as you viewed different areas of the scene, but the photo has one fixed focus.  Another thing to consider is to intentionally blur the forefront and background and put most of the detail in the center.  This provides an interesting effect that some builders (such as Gideon) seem to know how to achieve.

This is still a very nice scene, and I would love to see more detail on the build!