Holodoc

This is the end ... of Exo-Force

Darn, that sucks, epsecially since 08 was doing so good. But 07 did do terrible, I will say that.

Edited by dillthepill

why is that so many of you care so much about the story line? i am just wondering, i bought exo-force because they were cool looking, kind of japanese mecha style until the recent models.

Darn, that sucks, epsecially since 08 was doing so good. But 07 did do terrible, I will say that.

Yeah, I was devastated, it was because of E-F my wallet wasn't losing all its money on LEGOs, but all good things come, and, unfortunatly it had to end. But! In new hopes I can take down alot of my mechs, and use them in MOCs!

mayby if this year sells really well they might reconsider 8-| but i don't want it to where out it's welcome..

Edited by hollisbrick

really? is anyone actually caught by surprise with this news? :-P

those TLC marketing guys should really use us as the test market instead of a few danish kids who don't buy lego.

we told them back then when we saw the 2007 sets that the smaller ones would sell well. the two big sets were huge disappointments. the mobile devastator??? what was that?!?! and the golden fortress...yuck. no offense, SW4J, coz i remember you love the fortress. :-P

in fact, i skip the entire 2008 line because it suxor. :-P except for storm lasher and the tank. the tank design was okay, but suffered from poor color choice. so that leaves only the storm lasher as a potential good set. even then i'm primarily getting it for the troll swords. tbh, i'm not surprised if these two sets outsold the others as well.

i seriously think if they made more elaborate models like kwi-chang's (those can be the expensive $60-70 sets) and like moko's (smaller mechs for like $15-20) the theme would sell better. i don't know where they got the "bigger is better" motto from. :-| it's only true for real cars and real houses. :-P lego cars (and mechs incl) and lego houses should be small and elaborate. :-P it's because we have no shelf space at home. :-P

So, the real question for those of you who like Exo-Force:

Will this news stop you from buying the last sets?

Or will it make you buy more of them because there ain't no more after this?

Or will it not change your buying habits?

And I say for those that like Exo-Force because replies of 'I've always hated them so won't waste my money on them anyway' does nothing to satisfy my curiousity about how this will affect people's buying habits.

-Tohst

well, i already have all i needed. the minifigs are nice, but i have like 2 of each by now...both for 2006 and 2007. they have new prints for 2008, but i shudder at the sight of those ugly stick figures called mechs. :-P

i dont think pirates will be replacing ef. it's quite obvious it will be agents.

so we have indy jones and castle for historical/adventure. sw and spongebob live on. agent for action (replacing EF). city. MM as space. how about a space pirates theme next? :-P so what do you think? space pirates, a winner or a wiener? :-P

i dont think pirates will be replacing ef. it's quite obvious it will be agents.

I don't think the Agents line is there to replace EF. Don't forget that AR is going away and that was sure before TLC's decision ;-) Also Agents were thought off way before also !!

Anyhow I do think there is a slot for a new line, the only question is which one ? May I dare a space city line 8-

Hopefully they've learned that open cockpits on machines of war is nonsensical and return to the piloted mecha theme at some point in the future.

To be fair, only one mecha (uplink) on the human side had an open cockpit, and since that was more a repairing mecha than a frontline combat vehicle. As for the robot mechas, well, I kinda figured that since they were robots that armor wasn't as big a concern. :-/

Yeah, I know, most of the Exo-force mechas were not air-tight, but this last wave of exo-force this year ratifies that partly, as the Chameleon Hunter and Assault Tiger have totally closed cockpits, and River Dragon has the closest to a closed cockpit we've gotten in all of the smaller mechas. I think it's good that they decided to make the design better for the final year. ;-)

in fact, i skip the entire 2008 line because it suxor. except for storm lasher and the tank. the tank design was okay, but suffered from poor color choice. so that leaves only the storm lasher as a potential good set. even then i'm primarily getting it for the troll swords. tbh, i'm not surprised if these two sets outsold the others as well.

I just really haven't gotten your reasoning behind your total hate of the 2008 mechs. I mean, the human ones are the farthest from stick figure we've gotten in all three years, and they have awesome minicons- er, mini-robots instead of stupid light bricks, silly launchers, or boring exo-codes as a gimmic. Why do you hate them, anyway? 8-|

BTW, xwingyoda, I'm wondering why you are so against Exo-force these days. Nothing against you, but I seem to remember that you were far more for it back in early 2006, and even bought a few of the sets. :-/

BTW, xwingyoda, I'm wondering why you are so against Exo-force these days. Nothing against you, but I seem to remember that you were far more for it back in early 2006, and even bought a few of the sets. :-/

I am not against it, and even if I were no offense taken ;-) look at my EF armies for proof !!

img_4701.jpg

img_4705.jpg

Its just after 3 years of it its always the same thing like I said, same characters and yada yada yada !! Its a shame that the most brilliant year for EF (swwt parts, colour scheme, small thingy incorporated to the mech...) is the last !! They should have developped that line like this last year ;-)

*yoda*

I think it's good that they decided to make the design better for the final year. ;-)

The question is though, whether these designs were 'better' because it's the final year of EF, or whether that's just a coincidence.

and they have awesome minicons- er, mini-robots instead of stupid light bricks, silly launchers, or boring exo-codes as a gimmic.

Actually, some of them are more like Targetmasters ;-) .

I just really haven't gotten your reasoning behind your total hate of the 2008 mechs. I mean, the human ones are the farthest from stick figure we've gotten in all three years, and they have awesome minicons- er, mini-robots instead of stupid light bricks, silly launchers, or boring exo-codes as a gimmic. Why do you hate them, anyway? 8-|

It's not hard to see how 8114 is like stick figure. too pointy and nothing like a mecha. My definition of mecha is gundam or mechwarrior. best design is definitely 7712 with the hands. i don't see what's so appealing about 8114 with so many pointy ends. what's that suppose to do anyway?

7700-1.jpg

7712-1.jpg

8114-1.jpg

Well, why would someone buy the 2007 sets when they were designed horribly? Why should they be surprised that 2007 didn't sell well if they were basically piles of crap in a box? This year's sets are great and the whole theme has a lot of potential. Oh well, bring us Romans, Greeks or Pirates then please.

I dream about that.

Out with the old in with the new.

and the golden fortress...yuck. no offense, SW4J, coz i remember you love the fortress. :-P

:'-( The fortress yes...the flying gun no |-/ :-P

To be fair, only one mecha (uplink) on the human side had an open cockpit

They all did...even the 08 line has their bottoms exposed for absolutely no good reason :-| At least they're leagues better than the previous mecha...

They all did...even the 08 line has their bottoms exposed for absolutely no good reason :-|

Probably it was a problem with the supply chain that helped to start the downfall of that line.... 8-|

66-Set4-EatHere.jpg

Probably it was a problem with the supply chain that helped to start the downfall of that line.... 8-|

66-Set4-EatHere.jpg

Ah, the distracted truck-drive strikes again!

66-Set4-EatHere.jpg

Indeed. When you've got a long way to go and a short time to get there.... better be an open cockpit. ;-)

</BubbaTheLoveSponge FullTruckerEffect>

Bionicle still is one of the top selling themes, and unlike Exo-force, they continue to try new things each year, with new enemies and characters as well as old ones. Besides, whether you like the current storyline or not, it's far better than the Exo-force storyline ever was. ;-)

Exactly. I think if Lego expanded the team with more interesting members, and create a deeper story that didn't "aim" at the 7-8 year-old demographic, people would have been motivated to pick up more sets to expand their EF collections. Look at Star Wars and how many characters that universe has, and how the story appeals on different levels to different age groups. A big selling point for any new set is the characters/minifigs.

I think one sign of the decline in quality in '07-'08 is this: after carefully crafting amazing-looking alternate models and even giving them names in 2006, Lego gave up on making alternate models in 2007, and didn't even bother to name the combo models or mini-robots this year.

I think EF would actually be more successful if they aimed it for an older age group. Honestly, some of the sets were too hard for 7-8 year-olds, but they would still want them if they saw their older age 10-14 siblings getting excited about them.

Will this news stop you from buying the last sets?

Or will it make you buy more of them because there ain't no more after this?

Or will it not change your buying habits?

Personally, I will buy the same number of sets in previous years to complete my collection. I can't believe the other poster found Sentai Fortress on clearance for 12 bucks in the US? No wonder Lego can't make a profit.

I am not against it, and even if I were no offense taken ;-) look at my EF armies for proof !!

Man, that is amazing. Looks like you bought a ton of Gate Assaults? That was my first set and a great way to get into EF at the start.

With the black robot arms on the mini-robots this year, I was really hoping that Lego would introduce a black-colored robot into the series ...

Edited by gizhou

I don't think the Agents line is there to replace EF. Don't forget that AR is going away and that was sure before TLC's decision ;-) Also Agents were thought off way before also !!

Anyhow I do think there is a slot for a new line, the only question is which one ? May I dare a space city line 8-

I was thinking have you noticed that the Sentai Fortress sounds familiar to Hentai? XD

And how nearly every single Big Mecha for the Robots where all like spider walkers?

And I think they just thought up Japenease names on the spot, Takeshi is the same as Takeshi's castle.

Lego what where you thinking...come to think of it, where you thinking at all? :-D

those TLC marketing guys should really use us as the test market instead of a few danish kids who don't buy lego.

(...)

Do you have any source to back that nonsense up, or are you just typing in rage?

LEGO has clearly made some mistakes with Exo Force, but don't go tossing the blame around in blindness.

I was thinking have you noticed that the Sentai Fortress sounds familiar to Hentai? XD

And how nearly every single Big Mecha for the Robots where all like spider walkers?

And I think they just thought up Japenease names on the spot, Takeshi is the same as Takeshi's castle.

Lego what where you thinking...come to think of it, where you thinking at all? :-D

The names make good sense. "Sentai" is used in the military to mean something like "regiment" and Takeshi is a common surname in Japan.

Shame, really. I like the line, and getting out the ages in '07, some of the first sets I got were the January '07 Exo-Force ones. I did get some remenats of the '06 line (7700, 7701, 7703, 7704, 7706, 7707 and 7712) and did end up putting the '07 Exo-Mechs away, while the '06 Exo-Mechs battled the total sum of two years of robot enginerring. :'-) I didn't (but hopefully will, now they're on sale at S@H) get any of the Summer '07 sets except Combat Crawler X2, which I think was money well spent. I did mean to get Areo Booster but I never got around to it. I see this year's offerings as a step above the last, and intened get all the main Mechs.

Perhaps this will leave room on the shelves for other themes like Castle, which I didn't see in a single shop last year, except Argos which only had the more expensive ones. :-/