Holodoc

This is the end ... of Exo-Force

Well thats too bad I really liked the 06 sets but not 07.Oh well that makes more room for castle!

No skin off my teeth. Neat ideas and kinda cool to look at, but overall, I'm just not into the whole Anime/ Manga look.

I was more or less indifferent to the line. I had three of the smallest sets. I like the torsos but hate the heads and hair. If losing Exo-Force means gaining Pirates, then I am all aboard. I'm not too sad to see it go but I agree that another theme *ahem pirates* needs to fill that void.

Most certainly yes. Though I feel very sorry for the EF fans, if this means (who knows) pirates might come back I'm all in favour of TLC's decision. I was largely indifferent to it anyways, only interesting thing about the entire theme were the hairpieces, in spite of my indifference to manga.

Firstly Im glad exo-force is going.

It has had its shine, now its over. I agree with Vader that the 2007s where made terribly. They have gotten worse until 2008, the new good sets are the big finale. The Assault Tiger and Chameleon Hunter are awesome!

The Hybrid tank is very useful to. And if you really like the new Goblin swords 8117: Storm Lasher is your set!

Goodbye Exo-Force! *y*

:'-(

Exo Force is what got me out of my dark ages :-(

This isn't going to be easy for me....

:'-(

I don't care much about it. I don't have a single exo-force set. I've never collected it, which is good. The end of the 9V system is already more than I can cope with. :'-(

I liked exo-force when they came out in 2006. I almost bought every single sets but then 2007 was a little bit disappointing except for like the boost model one. I guess more money saving for me since I won't have to spend too much anymore.

I'm really sad Exo-Force is going. It has been my main focus theme these last 2 years (it took me to the point of relegating Star Wars to 2nd plan.. blasphemy!). From now till the end, I think i'll see every new EF set I get with twice the fun and enthusiasm.

While I can admit I was getting tired of the repetitive stories and mostly the repetitive building technics, I still didn't wanted this to happen, and I promise I'll now make sure EF has a special place in my collection.

Happy new on the other side. *y* I can channel more of my money's to Star Wars. *vader*

Pocas

Edited by PocasNuckie

Hi all, been lurking here for a couple years but this topic has finally got me to register and post! Good discussion here. Whether you're disappointed or not disappointed by EF's cancellation, it's interesting to see all the opinions.

In case you didn't see it, Lego staff member Swiftone posted this at the EF thread over at BZP

Hi gang,

It's my sad duty to confirm the news. EXO-FORCE is indeed going away at the end of 2008...at least for now. It's been a good run, and we've really enjoyed telling the story online and in the magazine (I'm going to miss those guys 'n gal!), but all good things must come to an end.

There should be one more comic appearing on the website. It's an introduction and set-up to the Deep Jungle story, so don't expect a conclusion - while I have a good idea of how I'd like the story to ultimately end, I'd like to leave things open-ended so that the fans can continue the adventure themselves.

Keep up the good fight...and don't forget to POWER UP!

Here are my comments:

The Exo-Force line is what got me back into Lego after a 20-year hiatus, and I know a LOT of others that also loved this theme.

But like Swiftone said, all good things come to an end ... even Pirates, Johnny Thunder, etc. Actually, Japanese manga often have an ending too, not like American superhero comics that go forever and ever.

The cool thing is I can say I actually collected all the sets in a single theme (didn't have the cash flow as a kid to collect all the Space Lego sets 20 years ago :P )

I think the 2006 EF line will be considered legendary. They got so many things right from the sleek Stealth Hunter, to the monstrous Striking Venom, to the huge Sentai Fortress playset. The characters were cool, they put effort into making awesome alternate models, there was an fantastic multi-pronged marketing campaign with TV, website videos, comics, chapter books. It obviously worked as EF was the 3rd best-selling theme for 2006 after Bionicle and Star Wars.

Then for some reason, Lego threw out this winning formula for 2007 and replaced it with mediocre models (anyone could see the Sky Guardian or Mobile Devastator was just not as cool as the Stealth Hunter or Sentai Fortress), golden boxes that were shiny but offered no new comics/alt models, Exo-Codes that I honestly don't think got many kids very excited. It was a sad waste of the momentum built up a year earlier, and it seemed like the line was set up to fail.

It seems that Lego switched design teams on the 2nd year of the series, and tried to save money by replacing smaller pieces with big Bionicle ones.

Now in 2008, we actually have got new sets that most fans agree are some of the best yet, but they are putting the axe to the series. Do they honestly think that Lego Secret Agents will sell more sets than Exo-Force in the next year?

Even though I already posted, to paraphrase REM, "It's the end of the Exo Force as we know it, and I feel fine..." Sorry, I had to do it. ;-)

On a serious note, I think anyone interested in buying exo-force minifigs should buy them now. I think a few years down the line, they might be a bit more pricey, because the torsos are really great for space MOCers. So they might be in high demand. Then again, I could be way off base here.

Continue with Bionicle, please!

Dream on, "Brick Purist." :-P Despite major complaints from AFOLS, Bionicle won't be going for a LONG time, as far as what we can see now. Bionicle still is one of the top selling themes, and unlike Exo-force, they continue to try new things each year, with new enemies and characters as well as old ones. Besides, whether you like the current storyline or not, it's far better than the Exo-force storyline ever was. ;-)

Dream on, "Brick Purist." :-P Despite major complaints from AFOLS, Bionicle won't be going for a LONG time, as far as what we can see now. Bionicle still is one of the top selling themes, and unlike Exo-force, they continue to try new things each year, with new enemies and characters as well as old ones. Besides, whether you like the current storyline or not, it's far better than the Exo-force storyline ever was. ;-)

I agree that the storyline to Exo-force was madness.

I saw some of the comics and it didnt Introduce any charecthers, and it was in the middle of the battle... WTF?

It was just a quick theme lego brought out because people where moaning there where no mechas because the Space theme finished.

:-D

Amen Brother Grevious!

I also wonder if the dichotomy between Exo-Force's performance and Bionicle's will result in in a little more in-depth story for the next LEGO theme of the type. I don't really expect it with Agents...but I guess we'll see. deino2.gif

I also wonder if the dichotomy between Exo-Force's performance and Bionicle's will result in in a little more in-depth story for the next LEGO theme of the type. I don't really expect it with Agents...but I guess we'll see.

I highly doubt Agents will really have any kind of story whatsoever, except for silly comics in the Lego Mag. In fact, despite it looking far better than Alpha Team ever was, I kinda doubt it will last more than one year. :-/

But, seriously, if exo-force actually had a decent storyline, it might have been much better. Sure, there were a few neat bits here and there in the online comics, but overall the characters spent more time making jokes than anything else, and Meca One and Keiken came off very spoofy almost all of the time. |-/

Anyway, since Exo-force is gone, in 2009, another theme may very well take it's place. If it's pirates, sure, why not, but I'm kinda hoping for a new Space line that blends new building techniques and pieces with the awesome style of themes like Blacktron, M-Tron, and Space Police. And hey, why not throw a mech or two in there as well, only more in the Battle Tech style than the Manga style. *sweet*

Frankly I am sad to see it go. Over half my buys lately have been of exo force - I also heavily digress about the 2007 line. I love the Mobile Devistator and the Golden Tower - Excellent builds and playability, parts, and design. This 2008 line is getting even better aswell - Absolutely superior new mecha styles.

It's sad to see something go just when it gets good. :-$

Oh well. I never was a fan of it. And we only get 1 comic online this year.

Cool new figs, manga designs. That's all what exo force was to me.

All it was to me was:

--Cool new "angry" minifig faces.

--Manga / anime minifig hair.

--Robotic fingers that were LONG OVERDUE to give all the mecha builders out there real hands and not minifig legs.

--A cramp in my neck, from shaking my head back and forth at how MISERABLY Lego failed at "doing the anime thing" that's so popular these days. I've seen more anime looking characters scribbled on the notebooks of elementary schoolers. Wide eyes does not the japanese anime style make.

Hopefully they've learned that open cockpits on machines of war is nonsensical and return to the piloted mecha theme at some point in the future.

I can't say that I've ever really liked Exo-Force, but it's still sad to see the end of a theme regardless. Hopefully we'll get more classic space looking sets after 2009. :-/