CopMike

LEGO Creator Expert London Bus 10258

I am definitely going to get this and putting this set with the rest of my other scale models. :wub:

This is so beautiful. 

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 7:09 PM, Kjellevirus said:

@blurrkup, you seem like one very happy guy! I can't wait to get my hands on one of this set. There are a lot of complaints. But still I love it. 

I try my best. 

The thing that surprised me was there were no stickers for the London Transport sign on the sides.

Edited by blurrkup

On 6/30/2017 at 11:49 AM, grum64 said:

Very nice set but personally I think this one is better especially the front end and roof line.

Sadly, as this is a LEGO Ideas project I'm guessing the 10258 will all but kill it off. I feel for the builder, talk about bad timing.

I must agree that the above ideas project does a much better job of capturing the all-important curves around the 'eyes' which give the bus its friendly face. The official set just has that area totally square so the 'face' of the bus is all wrong. Probably fixable if you can somehow fit the ideas grill and headlights to the official set.

Edited by Darkdragon
Please don't quote pictures.

Here is a Brickset interview with Creator Expert designers Morten Graff-Wang and Jamie Berard about the development of 10258 London Bus. The article at the end says to expect a Brickset review of the set tomorrow. :sweet:

https://brickset.com/article/29026/interview-with-creator-expert-designers-morten-and-jamie

This is awesome! I think it'll go pretty nicely with the Beetle, Mini and Camper Van Creator sets, even if out of scale of course.

Be interesting to see if anyone 'Mods' this into one of the other variants of the 'RM' type

RML (30' standard model)

RMC (27' 6" coach)

RMA (27' 6" front entrance model)

RMF (30' front entrance model)

RCL (30' coach)

FRM (rear-engined model)

Love it!  I try to get everything British.  I have the smaller version, Tower Bridge (large and small) Big Ben, London Skyline, and the mini figures of the Constable, Detective (Sherlock Holmes), two Royal Guards and I threw the Queen in too.  Can't wait to add this to the collection!

whoa, that's wayyy oversized for minifig scale... It makes an adult fig look like a small child! Maybe if tlg brought back those technic big-figs, it might look more appropriate?

Also, I'm saddened that we have a creator-expert bus this year, but no creator-expert train to follow up after the Horizon Express...

:/

To be honest, i'd rather have an oversized-scale build than an undersized one. At least there's space, and if you're really that picky about the scale, if it's oversized you can just display it on it's own.

I was actually overjoyed when I saw that 4x6 space in the door area next to the stairs. Actual space! Better to have too much space than no space...

Popped into the Leicester Square shop yesterday. There were two London buses on display and lots for sale. This was mid afternoon. I'm returning to London next weekend with the family and am going to buy one with my daughter so we can make it together. Also a great souvenir of our visit.

I've made a simple Dually mod on LDD! A simple process by switching out a few elements and using the broader wheel (tyre/rim) assemblies!

34941484613_a63e07e302_b.jpg

35363615220_9c1a6c1a0b_b.jpg

35619767821_bc46cd6755_b.jpg

35710746826_22db603e03_b.jpg

On 6/30/2017 at 0:02 PM, jfbat said:

Well, look at the picture below. The fenders should be much more rounded at the bottom, for starters. The headlights are too big and the grille is too tall (and too grey). It'll need more than a few extra pieces...

Of course anyone is welcome to disagree but I think it is close enough within the confines of the Lego system. I think there are minor tweaks that can be done with the front to improve with minimal extra pieces. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

If somebody has a LEGO IDEAS that is more accurate than an engineer at LEGO with all the resources, then it's definately possible to change the complete front of the bus

6 hours ago, CDM said:

Of course anyone is welcome to disagree but I think it is close enough within the confines of the Lego system. I think there are minor tweaks that can be done with the front to improve with minimal extra pieces. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Your last sentence kind of nullifies your statement that it's close enough within the confines of the Lego system... :wink:

As to the "more than a few", was more down to it not being, say, 4-6 different/extra pieces, but more along the lines of 20-30. And no, it would not be a huge rebuild, but - for me at least - also not almost insignificant. Some small changes could make it look a lot more like the original in that specific area. Totally doable, and yes, I'm also looking forward to give it a try.

The recent VW beetle also suffered from some design choices that make it look just that bit off (to me and quite a few other people). I do understand the philosophy that hey, it's a lego model and should at least look a bit like that (as the designers stated themselves), but my gut feeling says that cost (in design time and to a certain extent parts) also plays a role.

In the end, it's Lego, so when something is not to your liking, nobody's stopping you to try and fix it! :classic:

On 7/5/2017 at 7:11 PM, gamejutzu said:

To be honest, i'd rather have an oversized-scale build than an undersized one. At least there's space, and if you're really that picky about the scale, if it's oversized you can just display it on it's own.

I was actually overjoyed when I saw that 4x6 space in the door area next to the stairs. Actual space! Better to have too much space than no space...

I think the oversizing is better because I prefer vehicles to have more space within them.

Its the main reason I prefer Creator's "Realistic" scale I prefer cars that allow for more than one passenger at a time. 

18 hours ago, jfbat said:

Your last sentence kind of nullifies your statement that it's close enough within the confines of the Lego system... :wink:

I should have been more clear...

Of course anyone is welcome to disagree but I think it is close enough within the confines of the Lego system.

Referred to the headlight sizing and slope of the fenders, etc...not quite accurate but close enough.

I think there are minor tweaks that can be done with the front to improve with minimal extra pieces.

Referred to the angled detail at the base of the front fascia and the grille itself. I think they can be made more accurate with some tweaking. Whether it is 5-6 pieces or 20-25...I'm not sure.

7 minutes ago, CDM said:

Referred to the headlight sizing and slope of the fenders, etc...not quite accurate but close enough.

Well, I don't agree. These also could have been more accurate with a little more attention to detail. So, for me, I think it's not the constraints of the Lego system that make this close enough for TLG to call it finished, but at some point stop making it more accurate, whether it's for budgeting reasons, or just because it should also look like Lego.

It won't stop me buying it though. :classic: