Errorist

Frigate, a WIP

Hi errorist!

Finally some photos. :pir_laugh2:

The start looks great and really promissing. :thumbup::pir-wub:

Are you planning to re-use the older above the waterline parts you already build?

Or are you starting everything from scratch?

Keep it up. We have a deadline to meet in 2010. :pir-tongue:

Kind regards,

Teddy

Hi errorist!

Finally some photos. :pir_laugh2:

The start looks great and really promissing. :thumbup::pir-wub:

Are you planning to re-use the older above the waterline parts you already build?

Or are you starting everything from scratch?

Keep it up. We have a deadline to meet in 2010. :pir-tongue:

Kind regards,

Teddy

I was originally planning to put the older part on top of the hull but that plan proved to be impossible very quickly.

I would have to build the hull so that they would connect perfectly and that was too much effort.

Besides, I wasn't verry happy with the older part anymore.

The new hull does have the same dimensions as the older part so I can probably use some of the decks again.

Another one of my plans was trying to maintain the modular structure as well but that idea was just plain crazy.

As for the deadline, don't worry about that. The version you see here was built in a single day.

But that's because it's version 6 or 7 :pir-tongue:

It's like CGH said to me, going ahead 1 step means going back 3 steps.

Errorist

Edited by Errorist

Looks good Errorist, but I leave the comments to the people that know what they're saying, sadly I am no expert at ships.

But a big fat :thumbup: from me anyway.

As I had a day off from school today, I decided to do a little building.

Sadly, this will be the last time I'll be able to do this much work on the ship for quite some time as the exams are coming :pir_bawling:

I've completed the outer part of the hull for the most part.

But as always I'm not completely happy with the rear part of the stern just yet.

I made a similar mistake like the one I made before (not the same one though :pir-tongue: )

But I saw the clue when I was these taking pictures.

I'm not going to redo that part today because I have been building for 6 hours and now I'm tired.

Anyway, here are the newest pictures:

The entire hull from above:

image059.jpg

Sorry about the light but the lights in our living room aren't easy to evade because there are so many of them. But turn one off and there isn't enough light to work without a flash.

From below:

image066.jpg

The new stern:image060.jpg

The bow:

image061.jpg

The curve (which I'm very pleased about because there are no dents :pir-grin: )

image068.jpg

And finally one that shows just how sturdy she is:

image069.jpg

Being able to pick her up with one hand was one of the main criteria for me when I started building.

Mission accomplished I'd say.

Those plates crossing the ship form my very own (and very primitive) measuring instrument. :pir-tongue:

The rest of the pictures can be seen HERE. (when moderated)

I hope you guys enjoy the pictures and , as always, C&C are more than welcome.

Greetings,

Errorist

Edited by Errorist

Hi Errorist,

I love what you have done so far. :pir-wub:

Are there any plans you are following in regards to the shape of the vessal?

Any frigate in particular of which you are building the hull?

I think I know what you mean about the stern.

The bow looks verry good. :thumbup:

Keep it up and good luck with your exams.

Kind regards,

Teddy

image069.jpg

And the strongest man on the forum is..... :pir-grin:

Excellent work on the hull bro, the lines look very smooth and accurate! :thumbup:

The only thing i would change is to lower the lowest 2 lines on the stern, to make the keel look more realistic.

Keep it up!

From the moment I saw this ship I fell in love :pir-wub: And its in sections too! :pir-oh3:

This ship is amazing.

Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Wow, it looks as though CGH started a trend with the sturdiness test! :pir_laugh2:

Looks great Errorist, brilliant work! I really look foward to the final product.

BTW, where did you aquire the bricks from?

I don't know how do you do to build something so big and so nice! to me that's just impossible !

( maybe because I live in a so little apartment that if I start to build something like this I'll be unable to eat ! as it'll only stand on the only table I have ^^ )

that's a very great start anyway, good luck for the rest!

where did you aquire the bricks from?

let me guess.. bricklink ? I think it's the only way ! ^^

Woah, that thing is huge. And alot of brown.

Huge indeed. ANd I love it so far, let us hope he continues the building fast.

Like Zorro said: It's huge... but it looks great. And I wish you the best for the rest of the ship... it's gonna be awesome I think. Keep building !!!

Hi Errorist,

I love what you have done so far. :pir-wub:

Are there any plans you are following in regards to the shape of the vessal?

Any frigate in particular of which you are building the hull?

I think I know what you mean about the stern.

The bow looks very good. :thumbup:

Keep it up and good luck with your exams.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Hello Teddy,

I'm not really following exact plans. I'm basing her on my own knowledge for the most part.

However, I am using a couple of ships as a guideline. My goal is to make a frigate that combines all of the qualities of ships that really existed.

You could say I'm building a prototype model of sorts.

And the strongest man on the forum is..... :pir-grin:

Hairy Ruben? :pir_laugh2:

Excellent work on the hull bro, the lines look very smooth and accurate! :thumbup:

The only thing i would change is to lower the lowest 2 lines on the stern, to make the keel look more realistic.

Keep it up!

That is the plan. I'm waiting for some jumpers to arrive so I can easily redo that small section. I'm hoping she won't need another rebuild after that :pir-tongue:

I don't know how do you do to build something so big and so nice! to me that's just impossible !

( maybe because I live in a so little apartment that if I start to build something like this I'll be unable to eat ! as it'll only stand on the only table I have ^^ )

that's a very great start anyway, good luck for the rest!

let me guess.. bricklink ? I think it's the only way ! ^^

Yes it's true that I'm lucky enough to have some room for her but it's not a lot though (my mom is starting to have some doubts about the size of the project) :pir-tongue:

All my bricks are indeed coming from BL as it is the only possible way.

Quite expensive though :pir_bawling:

Thanks for all the nice comments. I'll try to start building again as soon as possible.

Greetings,

Errorist

That's looking very impressive David! I'm happy to see you made some good progress. The line of the ship looks perfect to me. We'll talk more next weekend if you come over to have some beers.

We'll talk more next weekend if you come over to have some beers.

I want beer to Bonapart :oh: , can I come :pir-grin:

Edited by Broadside

More then a year since my last update I finally have some progress which is actually worth showing :pir-blush:

First a bit of an explanation as the ship has changed quite a bit since the last update.

For those of you that didn't know, I have abandoned the modular structure because of the rigging and went with a complete hull where ,at first, I used 1 stud steps to create a curve. Presently, the hull is still the same basic structure but I shortened it and starting building her with jumperplates. This is also the main reason why it took me so long to get an update as I needed 7 versions of the bow and about 20 of the stern before I was content with the shape. Needless to say that building all those versions cost me a lot of time. When she was finished she looked like this.

rimg0112.jpg

But she wasn't meant to last. The reason? My dog was a bit to energetic with her own toys :pir-tongue:

So I had to start over again. Inspired by CGH and this beautiful model(site is in french) I changed course and went with this:

rimg0064.jpg

Once the hull was finished I started on the cable tier,the magazine and the shotlockers and that's where I am today.

rimg0043.jpg

rimg0044.jpg

The grating only serves to close that hole so nothing can fall inside during construction.

rimg0059.jpg

Those rown tiles will be replaced with dark grey ones in the future to simulate the lead-lined "tub" which was used for filling

rimg0051.jpg

From the pictures one can see there is still a lot of work to be done. For example, the cable tier is closest to completion and even that is only about 80% finished.

I realize my ship is quite hairy for which I have my dog,4cats and myself to thank :pir-tongue:

More pictures can of course be found HERE(when moderated), the folder includes pictures from the older version and the new hull.

I hope you guys will enjoy my "hard" work and as always C&C is not only welcome, it is very much appreciated!!

Kind regards to all,

Errorist

Edited by Errorist

At me oking great, its massive ship so it takes time yes, keep it up and cant wait to see her finished

Captain Becker

This is really impressive! You're about just as far as the Prins Willim and doing just as great :thumbup:

I don't have any critics on this MOC. Are you going to keep those gaps in the hull or do you also make something to close it with?

And you once said:

She will start out as a 24 gun frigate but with the idea to transform her into a 50 gun ship over time.

So do you know what it's going to be yet?

Anyway, you're doing great, keep it up!

This looks great, I will be watching this for updates in the future. Keep it up! :pir-classic:

Three words,AMAZING!

Don't you mean syllables?

I was beginning to think you had givin up on this project

Thanks for the update!

:pir_yoda:

P.S. Are you gonna give it a name?

Edited by the_green_avenger

Bloody hell. That ship is a beauty now, when complete she'll be sure to bring me to tears from shear beauty overload :pir_bawling: Well done mate, well done indeed :thumbup:

This is really impressive! You're about just as far as the Prins Willim and doing just as great :thumbup:

I don't have any critics on this MOC. Are you going to keep those gaps in the hull or do you also make something to close it with?

So do you know what it's going to be yet?

Anyway, you're doing great, keep it up!

She will remain a frigate as it is financially impossible for me to add another deck. Therefor no 50 gun ship.

The design of the hold is already based on that of a frigate so I'm just gonna go with that.

She won't become a24 gunner though. She will become a frigate of 38 long guns, so technically a 38 gun frigate but she will also be carrying 6 carronades.

I was beginning to think you had givin up on this project

Thanks for the update!

:pir_yoda:

P.S. Are you gonna give it a name?

No I haven't given up :pir-tongue:

I just have a limited amount of time in which to build and a limited amount of money. I don't plan to leave such a huge gap in between updates as I did last time though

When I have the pieces that I need I can finish the hold. Or at least the magazine.

As for the name, I did give her a name "L'Etoile" (the star) when I started construction.