"So is this not truly a humanitarian matter for you, but rather a case of empire envy? The treaty I refer to is between Eslandola and Mardier. While you may have provided aid to one side or the other during the war at various times, the ultimate issue of the war was between Eslandola and Mardier. It seems that Corrington often thinks that everything is about Corrington, but the world is bigger than that."

On the edge of my seat, trying to run between a situation shot from Puerto Desafio (as Captain Whiffo meets with Marquis Alkurda). and the PC to check the recent development. The world is watching (even if we I don't get to post reaction shots until I receive news IC).

"Oh so you're just ignoring me now?

Asked Captain Mesabi.

"Very mature. The Governor of Eslandola is ignoring little WTC because it's not important enough!"

A messenger ran in from the side.

35618062315_729321ed21_z.jpgPeace talks by North White, on Flickr

"Mr Montoya! Crabs! Invasion! Bootstrap!"

Montoya got up and walked to the messenger.

"There comes word of an invasion by Eslandola on Isle 14!"

34809312493_ba9f3f5c35_z.jpgPeace talks by North White, on Flickr

Meanwhile Captain Mesabi continued his plea.

"Give me control of the city, you have like 5 on the island, you don't need this one!"

"Is it official Eslandian diplomatic policy to throw about unfounded accusations? Several times I have been confronted with the claim that we should have aided Mardier in the war, yet not a single shred of proof have I seen! We have even offered to pursue such matters legally, should you present us any evidence, but you have provided nothing of the sorts."

Obviously somewhat angered by these accusations, Montoya continued:

" And as if general accusations against our entire nation was not sufficient, you add accusations of terrorism and war crimes against Signore Lorenzini, a man who chose to scorn former masters to pursue the safety of his people?"

Standing up straight, Montoya narrowed his eyes with indignation for a short moment and turned to the messenger with a hush, taking the letter and wafting away the young soldier. Reading the letter, he seemed to be further infuriated. 

" I must add that the Crown of Corrington does not support the WTC's claim to the city, as it will not be in the interest of the people." 

"He's just being grumpy. The WTC would be an excellent overlord for Nova Malto. And besides, wouldn't you like a solution that the crown of Corrington doesn't support?"

asked Captain Mesabi

Wandering Acolyte Kali the Phlin approached the tent full of men in animated debate with trepidation. The shade it cast was not comforting today, but she strove to have a smile upon her face.

34809861983_685b159bcc_o.jpg

"Honored sirs, I have been instructed by the High Priestess Ylsbeth to offer this fine bottle of uisge in the hope of a lasting peace."

Kali handed the bottle to Don Isaac Montoya, then quickly retreated.

"I'm not accusing Corrington of anything. It is not a concern of mine what Corrington did or did not do in the war, only to point out that it was not a combatant, nor a party to the declarations of war, and as such it was not a Corrington matter."

Guilder did in fact straighten up a bit after rubbing his leg.

"As for Lorenzini, we have made no public accusations, but we were certainly suspicious of his intentions, apparently being the party that hid the refugees plight from us and pulled you into this. What we have said is we wanted to know more about him and his intentions. We have had agents actively investigating the matter, and recent evidence suggests our initial concerns were unfounded. Furthermore, Secretary Bowditch brought word with him that Lord Damaximus of MAESTRO is personally vouching for Captain Lorenzini, and has submitted a proposal in our Colonial Council to grant him full citizenship and assure his safety from prosecution. I would go even further and offer him a commission in the army were he to accept our offer. I can send word to the council to vote on the matter with all due haste if that would help."

Guilder bent over and rubbed his leg some more.

"Thank you for your statement of agreement with our position regarding the WTC's claim." Guilder then glanced at Captain Mesabi. "And may I assure the representatives of the WTC here that there are still plenty of doubloons to be made in their venture if they pay attention to the opportunities presented here. I know a thing or two about running a trade company."

Guilder continued to rub his aching leg, then turned his attention to Montoya again.

"Honorable sir, I'm sorry, but I must ask if we can retire to our camps for the night. I'm still getting used to the leg, and I fear I need to tend to it if I am to go on. Shall we resume tomorrow?"

"If you please," broke in Captain Bowditch, "one thing more before you retire.  Is it the custom in the worthy Empire of Corrington, my dear Don Montoya, to consult the other nations of the Brick Seas when it claims a new island which it has discovered and explored?

"Ah!  Much less, then, you see, when it had been common knowledge to all that Eslandola and Mardier had been locked in a conflict involving - though by no means limited - to this land, did it pertain to Eslandola to inquire about among all the nations of the Brick Seas to see if they agreed to the peace treaty signed between these two sovereign nations at the war's termination, involving the final and legal claiming of this land.  While members of the nation of Corrington undoubtedly aided greatly in the liberation of Terraversa from the Mardierian yolk, for which we are grateful, it had never committed to one side or the other in the war, and therefore the peace treaty (and stipulation as to this island) might be signed and legally binding without their express consent, just as the declaration of war against Mardier's aggression required no prior approving of other parties.

"But, in all honestly, it was truly my intention [a fact] to see to it that the final peace treaty and it conclusive nature as to the fact that this island was legally left in Eslandola's hands was published in the Pontelli Daily for all nations to see and read, but unfortunately, what with one distraction and the other - the council, the settlements, and looking after the Mardierians and islanders left or abandoned in parts of the island - I had not been able to see to it.  I am quite sorry that I did not, however, as it could have helped in avoiding this regrettable confusion.

"And now, gentlemen, if you will excuse me, I should like to have a chat with our good Captain Mesabi here," - and with a bow he turned off to their companions and walked off with them on a bit of a stroll.

"I hear, my dear sir, that your company has been thriving lately, and that your aid has been indispensable to your Corry brethren in this whole humanitarian affair?  Do tell me of it.  And that sabotaging of the vessel - quite astonishing!  The daring perpetrators must certainly be found and brought to justice.  Yes!  I'll say!  Why...

And they slowly faded off into the distance as the night shadows closed in.

Montoya turned to young Baker, who stated ruffling through some papers. 

"You know full well why Corrington was not a part to the conflict, good sirs. Need I remind you that while publicly and privately exclaiming your great commitment to the friendship between our nations, you declined first our offer of an alliance, and then of a barely defensive alliance, both of which on the grounds that war "might not be in your interest at any given time"! " He looked around the table. " Both agreements which would have ensured Corrington's support in the war against Mardier! "

Shaking his head, he continued:

" Not even a letter of intent were we given, before you launched your invasion! Not an invitation to discuss the matter after it was known!"

" All we were bestowed were loose statements that this was not an act of aggressive expansion, statements we have acted upon in the best intentions."

"And allow me to clarify one point. The people of Malto have no interest in becoming citizens of Eslandola, just like they have none in becoming Corlander. They have too long lived under the yoke of a far away elite, and wish to put themselves in no position that may repeat this situation. "

Superb ship bombing ketch Bregir. The custom built hull is brilliant, the brown and black colour scheme works well, it's always great to see a custom built ship! I like also how the masts lean graciously forward, the rigging is very well executed too. I look forward to see more excellent build like this. :sick:

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, please, let us calm down." Guilder looked much better than the previous evening, and his vigor had returned. "I fear we are getting sidetracked hashing out past unpleasantries. Let us stay focused on the matter at hand."

Guilder turned to Montoya. "Honorable consul, if it is the wish of the refuges of Malto to rule themselves out from under the yoke of any far-away elite, I have two suggestions. One, that Corrington has the ability to provide them land on any one of your many islands in the nearby seas and could provide them exactly that. Or, Two, if they choose to stay here, let me point out that they would not be ruled by a far-away elite, but rather a representative elected by them, who would join a body of other elected representatives, formed specifically because we too did not want to answer to a far-away elite, in our case King Fernando. That is how democracy works. It is easy to understand how neither they nor you are all that familiar with it, having known only monarchy, but I suspect you and they might be pleasantly surprised by its invigorating freedom. In either case, the refugees would be determining their path. What say we put it to them?"

"Past unpleasantries..." Montoya mumbled.

"Am I to understand that you are not willing to discuss a treaty securing the neutrality of Malto? In that case, I am here on false premises, and will break off negotiations at this very moment to reconsider our position."

Casting a questioning glance at the Eslandians he added: "Before leaving I should like to inform you that your Captain Argentum has landed on Corlander territory. I can only assume that provocation is not official Eslandian policy at this moment, and will expect that the proper actions are taken."

Montoya bowed deeply to each of them and walked off followed by young Baker.

The Eslandolan contingent bowed to Montoya and Baker, and then turned to each other. "What has Captain Argentum done now?" one asked in a whispered tone, and the conversation continued privately as they returned to their camp...

Back in the Eslandolan camp, the diplomatic party speculated on the state of the talks.

"Well, I guess we have to hope he is conferring with others at the moment," said Monezterrell.

"Indeed," replied Guilder. "He has been put in a difficult position by his people. You have to admire the gusto with which he presents his case, but I fear some of his constituency may suffer from Corrie rose-colored glasses."

"At some point they will accept that it is an Eslandolan settlement," said Bowditch. "It is ratified in our treaty with Mardier, and an accepted tenet of international law, after all. We can assure that the refugees are supplied and secure, whether they stay here or depart for another island. Oleon has helped transport several refugees, I understand. And his promises of security to Lorenzini will be upheld; he can remain as mayor of the settlement if that's what the citizens want. Montoya really has done all he can do."

"Yes, yes," said Guilder, enjoying the opportunity to sit for awhile, "he is to be commended for his valiant efforts on his country's behalf in these talks."

Narrator voice: Meanwhile at the inn where Captain Lorenzini is dwelling, an agent of Oleon delivers a letter to his trusted valet...

35645695495_d27d1b35a5_n.jpg

"Dear honorable Captain Lorenzini,

It is of our understanding that should Eslandolan prevail in these negotiations, there is a fair possibility that you will be brought to justice for your so-called war crimes. Oleon is a nation that greatly appreciates military ethos, achievements and focus on victory. Moreover we admire your loyalty to your country. So, should you wish, we can grand you safe passage into our territories as well as a full amnesty and an honorary pension. One of our ships camouflaged as a fishing boat, will be stationed at one's day distance off the western side of the city. Search for Camomili. We will remain there as long as it takes for those negotiations to end. Think it through and choose wisely for we are afraid there won't be any such chance should Eslandola take charge of the city.

Best Regards,

An agent of his majesty"

35258831890_a94a2d8a88_n.jpg

Edited: now with pics

@Capt Wolf Your wish is my command :wink:

18 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Narrator voice: Meanwhile at the inn where Captain Lorenzini is dwelling, an agent of Oleon delivers a letter to his trusted valet...

It is of our understanding that should Eslandolan prevail in these negotiations, there is a fair possibility that you will be brought to justice for your so-called war crimes. Oleon is a nation that greatly appreciates military ethos, achievements and focus on victory. Moreover we admire your loyalty to your country. So, should you wish, we can grand you safe passage into our territories as well as a full amnesty and an honorary pension. One of our ships camouflaged as a fishing boat, will be stationed at one's day distance off the western side of the city. Search for Camomili. We will remain there as long as it takes for those negotiations to end. Think it through and choose wisely for we are afraid there won't be any such chance should Eslandola take charge of the city.

Best Regards,

An agent of his majesty"

OOC: Nicely played, Oleon! I just wish there was a small build to go with it.  And the added pics are great. I love how we never see the face of Oleon's agent, and the light through the window is nicely done. :thumbup:

9 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Best Regards,

An agent of his majesty"

Wise tactic BD, but we'd better move quickly.

Ok, our captain Lorenzini just got away.

Aided by our men in Malto, he ran out of the city while everybody was sleeping and arrived to a remote pier at dawn, there, he boarded an Oleander patrol boat camouflaged as fishing boat. Before boarding the boat, he left his family's sword to lord Damaximus as a gift, to thank his proposal of Eslandolan citizenship.

14988998152_DISPLAY.jpg

14988998153_DISPLAY.jpg

14988998154_DISPLAY.jpg

It took me about 2hours to build this boat, I know it lacks some details but when we plan to escape, we'd better hurry.:pir_laugh2:

If Montoya had been the sort to drag his feet, he would be doing so now, making his way back to Malto. Baker, abundantly aware of his state of mind, kept back, leaving Montoya to the depths of his thoughts. And deep they were. What was he to say to Lorenzini and the people of Malto? And how could he ensure that Corrington could keep its promises.

Pondering this for a while, a thought started forming in his mind. He would have to talk to Lorenzini.

OOC: Ok, just a quick update to say I am not gone! :pir-blush:

I will build a small moc to show what happens next in Malto, including a reaction to Bodi's build.

Earlier that night:
34805808304_f517744810_c.jpg

One of our helpers in the village overheard Lorenzini discussing fleeing with an Oleander. Given the progress of our negotiations, I suspect that it'll happen tonight, and here we are very close to the best path to cross the jungle. It is best if he is gone anyways, and if they decide this will be the way they do it, let them think they are bribing you, maybe we can get a bit of profit out of this.

Early morning:
34805808504_80114345d0_c.jpg

They suspected nothing, Sir! They gave us their horses (Neigh!) and rushed away. Lorenzini won't be an issue any longer.

@Bodi - for some reason I really like that water!  Neat ship too!  And intriguing developments!

Oh nooo, the greenies knew the secret! But why they let us pass? Definitely this is strange.:look:

1 minute ago, Kai NRG said:

@Bodi - for some reason I really like that water!  Neat ship too!  And intriguing developments!

Thank you Kai! I have like a kilo of these trans-blue plates, it makes the job a lot easier when I have to build water. The ship was a rush build, I'll see to improve it later.

Bodi, that boat took you only 2 hours? It's great! :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Legostone said:

Earlier that night:

LS, great addition to the story. I'm still loving those trees. :thumbup:

And I know I have one of those tents somewhere, but I've been unable to find it. :sceptic:

Just now, Capt Wolf said:

And I know I have one of those tents somewhere, but I've been unable to find it. :sceptic:

I have a whopping 5, I really wanted the ants back then but didn't know BL yet :pir-laugh: I need to use those at some point too...

Just now, Capt Wolf said:

LS, great addition to the story. I'm still loving those trees. :thumbup:

Thanks!

And @Bodi Great ship! @Asgon cool Ketch!