Gov. Guilder made his way along the dock to greet his fellow Eslandians.

arrival2.jpg

"Secretary Bowditch! Captain Whiffo! I hope you had fair seas for your trip. Welcome to Puerto Desafio, and thank you for getting to Isla de Victoria so quickly."

"Yes, yes, we had favorable winds," replied Eslandola's Secretary of State. "So, what is the current state of affairs up north?"

"Montoya has sent us the Corrie demands, and I have replied with our positions on the matter. I have a carriage waiting to take us up the road to Malto. We have agreed to meet in no-man's-land."

"Give me five minutes with that Montoya fellow and he'll see the light!" bellowed Capt. Whiffo.

"Perhaps we should keep the good captain in reserve, so to speak," Guilder suggested softly.

"Yes, I see your point," replied Bowditch. "He's sort of a human powder keg, isn't he?"

"Far in reserve..." added Guilder.

Bowditch chuckled. "Yes, let's keep the match away from the powder." Bowditch turned to Whiffo. "Captain, would you be so good as to liaison with Mayor Alkurda and see how he's doing with the building programs here in Puerto Desafio?"

"Certainly! I'll whip things into shape here in a jiffy!" replied Capt Whiffo loudly.

"There, that's a win right off the bat," declared Bowditch.

"Yes, quite so," replied Guilder with a grin. As they walked to the carriage, Guilder paused momentarily to rub his leg. "Pardon me. I'm still getting used to the pegleg."

"Quite alright, Willem. You've acquired quite a memento from the war."

"Yes, and I don't plan on getting another one." They resumed walking to the carriage, and Guilder continued. "There has been a recent development in Malto."

"Do tell."

"We may have been wrong about that Lorenzini fellow. My man Calvo has been up there snooping around, and it doesn't appear he had anything to do with the destruction of the Corrie ship."

"Interesting..." Bowditch trailed off in thought. "Back home, Lord Damaximus is singing Lorenzini's praises. He thinks he is the key to our negotiation."

"I wouldn't disagree. We need to find out more about him. I have Calvo on it. If Lorenzini is on the up and up, as Montoya claims, this might not be too hard to settle."

"Let's hope so," replied Bowditch. "Here, let me help you into the carriage."

And the journey over rough roads to Malto began...

Great writing! The pier is nicely built.

Placing the captain powder in reserve was a  wise move, i can imagine what will happen if he leads a negotiation.:rofl:

Good to see gov. Guilder got back on his feet too, well, foot.:grin:

Ha, ha, ha, a nice promising start, I see! :laugh: :grin:  Just call in the backup if you ever need any help! :tongue:  Neat to see that ship again, even if it's only a small part.  Being able to reuse builds and ships in the future for story purposes is one of the big things I miss about having to pretty much always destroy them right after pics :pir-grin:

:pir-laugh:  Good job gently nudging Captain Wiffo in a more appropriate direction there... :pir_tong2:  Great little scene!  Hoping for the best from these negotiations!

I hope they will have time to tour the Crahaish neh Triuri aid workers' campsite. The construction crews are working on assessing the damage, and hope to preserve as much of the existing town as possible. (They'll put Captain Whiffo to work organizing the materials runners.) The priestesses and consorts are offering what spiritual and medical comfort that they can.

Captain Mesabi and Darby tyler set out on horse towards the peace talks.

35469148971_b07d045659_z.jpgPeace talks by North White, on Flickr

"Okay, are you sure this is a good idea? I mean it's not like we're an official representative of Corrington, or have any sort of juristiction. Maybe we should listen to Monotoya, he seems to know what he's doing." Said Darby

"Of course it's a good idea, Monotoya loves me! Besides, we're a massive part of this, WTC built a fort, and fixed that hotel, and the wall, and we had a ship blow up. Hell it was me who named Nova Malto. We need to be at those talks." Replied Captain Mesabi

"But what about that letter he sent you saying: 'Ok, now I am going to have to stop you there!  You simply have to accept that the settlements status will be decided by official negotiations, so you cannot take it over. Our aims for these negotiations should be clear in the Corrington official message network. If you disagree, discuss them there. But I will need you to calm down and let things go their natural course.'" Asked Darby

"Well obviously I'm ignoring him. Besides, we need to catch the saboteur! He could be at the totally be at the meeting! I mean where else could he be?"

35560505746_3eca713080_z.jpgPeace talks by North White, on Flickr

"Fine, but why can't we take two horses?" Asked Darby

"Well we were going to, but I kinda had the chef at the fort serve your horse as dinner last night." Replied Captain Mesabi

"Why!?! We had plenty of food that wasn't horse!" Darby yelled

"Well obviously, I was hungry for horses." Replied Captain Mesabi

"We have like 10 other horses!" Yelled Darby

"Pipe down, we have peace talks to ruin, I mean participate in." 

The gate swung open and they rode out, past the Eslandolan soldiers camped out by the gate.

35560505706_df35fe6087_z.jpgPeace talks by North White, on Flickr

35596138915_1bbfd66334_c.jpg

At the port of Malto, a small Corlander bomb ketch was lying sheets a-flying, its captain impatient to leave before the turn of the tide, to be able to clear the narrow channel and sandbanks. No wonder the natives generally stuck to smallcrafts in these waters.

34755067124_35afe1b270_c.jpg

It had just arrived from King's Harbour with different supplies for the city, as well as Sir Anton Hughes, renowned doctor of the Royal Society, who was already rushing towards the city to lend his aid, while the sailors were rushing to unload the supplies.

34755067104_caf010fd2b_c.jpg

Underway, it had picked up Don Isaac Montoya, en route from Cascadia in the Pioneer, who had had to rush away from his precious scientific adventures to once more set foot on the very same Isla de Victoria he had only recently left behind, tired of war. Suffice to say, this had not left him in the best of moods.

He was now discussing matters with constituted mayor, Giovanni Lorenzini (now in civilian attire) and Major William Bradley, commandant of the garrison.

"A sad pickle we have gotten ourselves into here, good sirs." Montoya exclaimed. "I had never figured the Eslandians would bring us to the brink of war over a humanitarian mission..."

"And quite close to the boiling point, I must say. National Eslandian troops, as well as several companies of mercenaries, have marched towards the gates, apparently unable to understand the meaning of an order, nor of enforced neutrality!" Major Bradley added. "I am not sure if they expected us to simply roll over at the sight of such overwhelming odds..."

Montoya shrugged and replied "They do tend to lend more credence to pragmatism than principle, Major. I have seen it many times. What baffles me the most is the number of officials issuing often conflicting diplomatic statements and requests, some of which are hardly flattering. One would think they would be better off with a more coordinated effort, particularly to weed out the more inconstructive statements..."

"A sad democratic lot, it seems!"

"Indeed, Major, indeed. Although we ourselves have that captain of the WTC..." Montoya added. "What is the military situation?"

"We are outnumbered something like 8 to 1, and even with the fortifications I wouldn't expect us to last long against a determined assault. However, the lads are well-provisioned, entrenched upon the battlements, and ready to enforce her Royal Majesty's guarantee to the last grain of powder. And so am I."

"I am pleased to hear it" Montoya was swelling with national pride at these words. "And the citizens?"

For the first time since the initial greeting, Giovanni Lorenzini spoke up: "The people of Malto are more determined than ever to support your troops, sirs. Without a guarantee of our rights, none of us want to see Eslandian forces in our city, and we are much indebted to you for your help."

"Thank you, I am pleased to hear, and so I believe the Major is" At this, the Major bowed silently. "I will say again, though, that I think you give the Eslandians too little credit." Montoya said in a serious voice, adding: "Which is why I hope you will accept that I shall meet them for negotiations for the neutral status of Malto?.."

"Certainly, sir! I have full confidence that you will ensure my people the rights we have agreed upon." Lorenzini said with a respectful bow of his head. "And I shall happily accompany you to the negotiations..."

Montoya raised his hand and shaked his head: "Perhaps I spoke too soon of the merits of the Eslandians. I fear they have singled you out for a scapegoat, and wish to prosecute you. At least, so their communications imply..."

"I will stand any fair, neutral trial for my deeds!"

"So I am aware, Signore Lorenzini, but at present, I fear I cannot in good conscience tell you that that is what you will face in the hands of the Eslandians..." Montoya sighed, distraught. "But should I get the proper guarantees, and be in need of your assistance, I shall call for you."

"I thank you for your candour, don Montoya, and will heed your advice"

"Thank you, Signore. You will see to the settlements well-being, I am sure. Major Bradley, you will do anything in your power to avoid any affronts, but should they turn to force, you will make Corrington proud, I am certain." Montoya said in a serious voice, before shrugging off the worst of his worries. "I best be off. I shall take none but young Baker."

Both bowed their heads in reply, looking somewhat concerned that this strange little man should go alone into the arms of what currently very much seemed like an enemy.

Ok, that is Corrington's preparations for the peace talks - Montoya will soon arrive at the rendez-vouz to negotiate. I liked how Capt Wolf somewhat gave away some of Eslandola's positions (which obviously, Montoya IC doesn't know), so I have tried to do the same here. So lets make sure to remember what we know IC and OOC respectively - otherwise, this will be a mess! :grin: Also, I am certain Montoya will be thrilled to see his uninvited "friend" from the WTC... :pir-tongue:

35427952082_320d2624ea_c.jpg

About the build. The bomb ketch is built by my brother, and its captain is supposed to be his sig fig if he ever gets around to signing up. (*nudge nudge* @Asgon) I only added the paper sails, and actually think it is a good first ship ketch! Tell him he is brilliant and he may feel all motivated to finally join up! :pir-tongue: The build may be licensed as a small commerce at some point.

Let the negotiations begin!

The builder of the ketch is brilliant ! Tha's a very nicely designed ship !!

And the captain is easily the standout of the built !

Spoiler

Is it OK Bregir ? Enough heartfelt and discreet ? :grin:

51 minutes ago, Bregir said:

About the build. The bomb ketch is built by my brother, and its captain is supposed to be his sig fig if he ever gets around to signing up. (*nudge nudge* @Asgon) I only added the paper sails, and actually think it is a good first ship ketch! Tell him he is brilliant and he may feel all motivated to finally join up! :pir-tongue: The build may be licensed as a small commerce at some point.

He made that easy. That's an awesome first ship ketch! I don't know the technicalities of ships, but the round 1x1 brown on the mast (especially the horizontal ones) are very visually pleasing. 

Fitting choice of head, hear, attire and posing on the doctor and assistant. And I am always jealous of sand green anything...

The carriage arrived at one of the many encampments around Malto. It was quite a sight to see--military units of various Eslandolan organizations, all in different uniforms; stockpiles of food and rations; various medical personal anxious to help the wounded--all mixed together, all waiting to see what would happen next. Jerome Monezterrell emerged from his tent and strode toward the carriage as its door opened.

“Guilder, Bowditch, finally!” he exclaimed. “The major in the fort keeps threatening to fire on us. We cannot end this situation soon enough for my liking.”

“None too soon for my liking, either,” said Guilder as he struggled somewhat getting out of the carriage. “I would have come right off, but I thought it important Secretary Bowditch was involved.”

“I certainly didn’t anticipate any international crises so soon after the treaty,” commented Secretary of State Myles Bowditch. “I was looking forward to a nice vacation. And I’m certain the two of you can take care of this, but if my presence lends an additional stamp of authority to the proceedings, it’s the least I can do.”

Monezterrell motioned for them to walk with him. “This way, gentlemen. We’ve set up a tent for the meeting over there. It appears the Corries are here as well.”

“Do we know who is in their negotiating party?” asked Guilder. “My correspondences on the matter have been mainly with Montoya, although there has also been unofficial correspondence with a Captain Mesabi from the Wayfarers Trading Company.”

“Yes,” interjected Monezterrell, “the WTC seems to be integral to this whole operation on the Corrie side.”

“I hope we may see Colonel Alcock, as I have had business dealings with him. But his name has not come up in the correspondence.”

“Well, moment of truth, fellow Eslandians!” declared Bowditch. “Let’s get this thing started.”

So the three men, accompanied by two musketmen, strode deliberately to the tent set up in the clearing. Two men of Corrington and two of their musketmen awaited them.

Guilder cleared his throat. “Gentlemen, may I present Eslandola’s diplomatic team on this matter. To my left is our Secretary of State, Myles Bowditch, who also heads up the East Trade-Wind Company. To my right is Jerome Monezterrell, governor of this island and member of MAESTRO. And I am Willem Guilder, Governor of An Holli and director of the Merchant's Colonial Trading Company. All three of us serve in our Colonial Council, and Monezterrell and I are current members of our Continental Council as well. So, we have tried to cover all our bases so you can see that we can confidently speak for all the Eslandolan stakeholders in this matter. With whom do we have the honor of discussing this unfortunate situation?”

full_tent.jpg

Really like the way you guys are doing this with the builds and all!  Keep it up! :thumbup: 

Montoya bowed deeply before the assembled Eslandian representatives.

"An impressive mission, I must say." Montoya said as he lifted his hat in a flurry. "I fear you will have to make do with my own humble presence. I am don Isaac Montoya, Consul to her Royal Majesty, Queen Annetta, and Chairman of the Royal Society of Natural Philosophy. I believe I have had the pleasure of conducting correspondence with several of you."

"This young man is Charles Baker, my research assistant. He will assist me with administrative tasks."

Looking around, he continued:

"As you know the headlines of our position, perhaps you will lead with your positions on the matter? I shall be happy to address any questions you may have."

(Over to you guys, @Capt Wolf - I shall try to be ready to reply quickly :) )

"It is good to finally put a face with the letters," Guilder said to Montoya. "And it is apparent by our respective numbers that a monarchy has at least one advantage in diplomacy. But diversity of representation, while perhaps somewhat like making sausage, I dare says produces a better hot dog!"

Guilder offered a hearty laugh. Monezterrell and Bowditch looked at Guilder a bit funny. Guilder continued, but without the analogies.

"So, to open, your military presence here is unacceptable, and based on the false premise that the refugees have in any way anything to fear from us. Refugees from all over the island have already relocated to Fuerte Unido, Puerto Desafio, or been allowed to travel to any destination of their choosing. And if these refugees prefer to rebuild here, that is quite acceptable as well. There have been no reports of mistreatment of refugees anywhere on the island, even here! The only reason there was any crisis here in the first place is that their presence was deliberately hidden from us. A more appropriate response on your part, once learning of the situation, should have been to inform us."

(@Bregir, back to you.)

"If your opening position is that our presence is unacceptable, I fear I have very little chance of any constructive negotiation. Corrington stands by its promises and will not abandon the guarantees we have given the people of Malto."

Montoya looked around, suddenly looking pale and drawn.

"Allow me to present our position: We came here at the request of Lorenzini to aid the people of Malto and ensure their right to govern themselves. Considering Isla de Victoria in danger of incursions from opportunists from all over the Brick Seas as a desolate, abandoned battlefield with no authorities to protect the citizens, we saw no option but to act.

As to the premise that the refugees had anything to fear is not ours, but theirs, and initially I would have called it nonsence. In fact, Signore Lorenzini will tell you that I said as much."

Looking around at the Eslandians, he continued:

"However, I have since come to change that position. In fact, I specifically adviced Lorenzini not to join these negotiations, as I fear he would put himself in danger of political prosecution! In several official letters from prominent Eslandians, I have found clear indications that this may be the case, and I no longer felt I could guarantee his legal rights."

"Well, let me assure you that the island is in no danger of incursions, and there is an authority to protect the citizens ... us!"

Guilder paused for emphasis.

"We currently have nearly all of our active military on the island, as we have not drawn down from war footing yet, considering there is work to do on the island. We have built or restored fortifications in every settlement, and the royal fortress at Puerto Desafio projects it power over the entire island and then some."

Guilder looked to see how Montoya was receiving this, then continued on.

"Furthermore, the people of Malto will have the rights of any and all Eslandolan citizens if they choose to stay: protection by our military, free to elect their own local leaders, free to engage in trade with anyone. And let me point out that any refugee who decides to stay on Eslandian soil is considered just that, a citizen of Eslandola. Our quarrel was never with the citizens of the island, only their Mardierian leaders who provoked this war with their disregard for the laws of the sea."

35577506926_5681716294_z.jpgPeace talks by North White, on Flickr

As negotiations continued, two figures entered.

35486752691_bd0c3b84f6_z.jpgPeace talks by North White, on Flickr

"Well if it isn't a pack of diplomats, deciding the fate of Nova Malto without the WTC. Have you no shame?" 

Captain Mesabi said, Montoya glared at him, Gov. Guilder Glared at him. In fact, everyone was glaring at him

"I'm going to make one thing clear here. We have demands to. The WTC invested significant resources in this operation, so if you're kicking out Corrington, we expect to be payed." 

Montoya crumpled a piece of paper in his fist.

"That is, if you kick us out, I propose a solution. Let WTC assume control of the city. For one, we need to hunt down that saboteur, and secondly, we're barely even a part of Corrington. We don't even pay taxes!"

A seagull squawked overhead

35448777402_ca97350fc7_z.jpgPeace talks by North White, on Flickr

"And we would be willing to pay tribute to Eslandola for the settlement. You Greenies like money, don't you?"

Monterezzil put a hand on his sword. A Eslandolan Soldier cocked his rifle.

"But regardless of what happens, we're not leaving until the saboteur is caught. I'm going to make that clear."

(Your move @Bregir & @Capt Wolf :pir_tong2:)

"So, Captain Mesabi, I presume?"

Guilder turned to Montoya. "Perhaps I was wrong about the sausage in Corrington after all."

Guilder addressed the impudent WTC representative.

"If I may be so bold as to address you directly, you need to learn your place in the order of things. You demand quite a lot, but you should know that many investments are not insured. It might appear that you have made a poor choice in this case. That said, I will repeat something I just said to the honorable consul here: under Eslandola's rule, citizens are free to trade with whomever they please. Eslandola would have no problem with a WTC presence in Malto. I built an MCTC warehouse in Mooreton Bay. But I did not go into Mooreton Bay and demand to own the town!"

Montoya sent a surprisingly cold and reptilian glance at the intruder, held his gaze for one horrible moment, and turned his attention to the Eslandians. 

"Allow me to set the situation here. Captain Mesabi is a representative of the WTC, a trade company with loose ties to Corrington." Turning back to Mesabi he added in a low and frightful growl: "Ties so loose, they may be broken any time..." 

"So let us return to our discussion. Perhaps the young captain could be quiet for awhile and see how gentlemen conduct business."

((General OOC note: remember only to define your own reactions and let others respond.)) 

"My father taught me something, Fortune favors the bold. So, you are not going to pay me, or honor my request, or even do the thing I invited you here to do! Have you even checked for the saboteur? You call yourselves men of honor, and yet you ignore an honorable man like myself." 

Darby chimed in

"Perhaps we should listen to him... He is the governor of Eslandola!"

Captain Mesabi shook his head. 

"I think you know what is fair. Give control of the town to me, and this all goes away. Think you could do that? Limpy?"

"... When foolish hope prevail over bitter experience..." Montoya mumbled to himself before continuing, entirely ignoring the young captain for now. 

"I was called to these negotiations with a clear indication that Eslandola was willing to discuss a treaty to ensure the neutrality of Malto, not negotiate the terms of its surrender. Are these premises in error?" he said, sending a steely gaze at the negotiators. 

"Your premises are in error, as Malto was never neutral to begin with. The treaty that ended the war granted Eslandola ownership over the entire island, including Malto. What we are prepared to do is assure that the settlement will be an open settlement like most in the Brick Seas, where anyone can build and trade. But we will not give away what was won with 8 months of hard fighting just because you want it to be so. International law backs us on this, and you know it, whether you want to admit it or not."

Guilder paused. He did not want to rile Montoya here, as he thought there was a chance at a breakthrough near.

"Please tell me, with all of our assurances regarding access, protections, and rights, what is it that we are not offering that truly affects these people abandoned by their former nation? I have not heard that they seek neutrality, only you appear to seek that. They seek safety, shelter, and the ability to live their lives. We offer them all of that, as well as the warm embrace of a democratic nation willing to accept them as its own."

"I assure you, Corrington has neither been informed of nor signed any treaties regarding this island." 

Brushing this aside, he adds with a somewhat confused air:

"Several times, Eslandian officials have ensured us that this war was not the consequence of an Eslandian policy of aggressive expansion. Yet the matter most important to you appears to be ensuring full annexation of the island. You must forgive me, but of this I cannot make sense. "

Montoya, looking genuinely confused, looked from one to the other with a questioning glance.