Captain Nemo

MOC: Elves, Ragana's Shadow Tower

The Shadow Tower

If I had unlimited funds and unlimited storage space, I would undoubtedly buy every and all Elves sets I could get my hands on. It's such a beautiful theme, both in color and design style, and I very much wish that in between all my regular Superhero programming I could fit in some time for Lego Elves. That said, I have picked up a few Elves sets over the years, but the most notable one is the absolutely gorgeous 41180 Ragana's Magic Shadow CastleThe set used spectacular color selection (especially with the shades of lavender) and had this evil looming presence. Plus it had the awesome Ragana minidoll--and as a huge sucker for Lego Wizards/Witches/Sorcerers/etc. I just had to get a hold of her. An all around great set...if unfortunately a bit too small for my taste. 

So for Brickworld Chicago 2017, I made it my fun task build my own version of Ragana's castle, using the official set as inspiration to build a much much larger tower for public display. Here are the results! 

35597967915_9cc50290b7_c.jpg                                                35444813906_fd09b94871_c.jpg

When I started the build, there were a number of key features I wanted to include and carry over from the set itself. The lavender rocks were a must, and one of the main reasons I was drawn to the set in the first place. Likewise, I love how evil villains use corporate branding, so I filled the build with the banners of Ragana. Windows were important too, but while the official set only had one main decorated window I incorporated many more than that...which meant I had to Bricklink a huge number of the set's sticker sheets, as there were only one window sticker per sheet. So if anyone is in the market for some forty slightly used sticker sheets...

35317192442_fdb6e2c714_c.jpg

To expand the character roster, I gave Ragana a number of cloven footed cyclopean guards, and for the defense of the castle (aside from Ragana's powers), I littered the place with swords, spears, and axes. The tower, like the set, also acts as a prison. There's a large hanging cage for special guests (like Elves), as well as a dungeon and torture workshop down below. 

35317180582_fcfa576e2a_c.jpg 

Clearly Cyclopes do not like taking pictures... 

35444858906_b9f87ba4f6_c.jpg

And of course I even included Jynx...although it looks like she's been put in timeout for some reason.

35444847616_b8d0ca76fd_c.jpg

Now the other part of this build is that, like the set, I included an interior. For the record thought, the idea to include a giant staircase was in no way shaped by how dirt cheap magenta steps are on Bricklink...in no way... Any who, the tower has six levels, with one long--continuous--circular magenta stair case, allowing direct access between four of the levels, and imaginary access between two levels. 

35484477205_751b018334_c.jpg

Looking at each level shows a different aspect of the tower. The lowest level, which is "below" the tower inside the rocky supports, is that of the dungeon and torture shop. Here, Ragana sends unlucky (or very lucky) minifigures from rival kingdoms to be tortured and jailed by Lashina--who I borrowed from the DC Girls line, because this is clearly why Lego made her. 

34643248464_950c03d88c_c.jpg

The next level is the "ground" level and features the drawbridge entrance and the start of the staircase. It is (normally) guarded by a large blue Cyclops, and it has some interesting features such as a chandelier and an area where one can look through the jail-bar floor into the prisoner cell below. 

34643195484_a616f39d0f_c.jpg

The third level is rather militaristic as it features the interior armory and exterior barricades for defense. There's also a murder-hole which is positioned just in front of the main gates (just behind dragon head gargoyle). This level also features a viewing balcony, where Ragana or her guards can stand watch over prisoners in the cage.  

34674297583_b8f01fe367_c.jpg      35444868436_a50333a64b_z.jpg

The fourth level is a storehouse for Ragana's magical items such as potions and a telephone to call her friend Sauron so they can gossip about wizard things. This level features another balcony, one allowing access to the prisoner cage. 

35098025310_26658360e8_c.jpg

The fifth and final interior level is that of Ragana's personal chambers. I wanted to include more set styled things here, such as Ragana's bed, but unfortunately space started to become an issue (also timing, I didn't finish this until the day before the convention!) So instead, I added a captured dragon egg to top off the staircase, a mirror, more weapons, more balconies, and a portrait of Ragana. Also gold, precious Lego chrome gold. 

34674301563_a564660d30_c.jpg

The sixth and final level is that of the roof...which I'll be honest about was tough to pin down. I wasn't sure how I wanted the tower to end, as the official set somewhat unceremoniously just cuts off. So, I decided to add a large fire-pit for a cauldron that Ragana would use to create evil potions. 

35589122905_b9c77e3360_c.jpg

So all in all, the Shadow Tower was a fun build to construct--being both an expansion of a set I love as well as being way outside the realm of my normal builds (this isn't a brick figure!). Additionally of note, the Shadow Tower was nominated for Best Small Building at Brickworld Chicago 2017, which was a big surprise to me as that's always a loaded category--what with all the amazing buildings that show up for display each year. While it didn't win, I'm still very much happy with the building itself, and I'm now hoping to keep it alive for one year so I can display it again with a new companion building I want to construct, my version of 41188: Breakout from the Goblin King's Fortress. So...see you next year! 

35097994230_aedd6e369f_c.jpg

Ah stupendous! The colour scheme is to die for, (part of the reason the set is on my list) and the styling is excellent. 

I look forward to next year's offering!

YIKES! :oh3: That is quite something! I do wish I could have seen this in person at Brickworld, and I really like the lilac brick work. :thumbup:

Now that basement scene though... :distressed:

I think you did the right thing with the sticker sheets, those windows look superb. The downside for me is the lack of the lime green spiky vine piece that is in the original set. It's one of my favourite parts and would look great around the base.

The basement scene is great!

Its been a while since watching a moc full of contrast colors, I really like the overall design aswell. Well done. =)

I don't have words for how amazing this is!!

Spoiler

GIVE IT TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is magnificent from start to finish. So many details but my favourite has to be the torture chamber. The stained glass windows are superb and worth every single one of those partly used sticker sheets!!  Also really love the top room with the prisoner egg and the cauldron on the roof. I look forward to seeing your goblin king's castle MOC!

This is a fantastic build, even if I do think that the magenta is a little too much for my liking.  Here, it does not seem as out of place as it does normally.  I love how the small fence piece was used to make a weapons rack, a technique I am likely to use myself.  I also think the cauldron is a great use of that large grey wheel piece.  It was a great decision for this particular build to use the stickers that you've used, as they definitely add some necessary character.  The styling you've used on the windows with the purple pillars, a callback to the original set, is wonderful when multiplied here, and gives this castle a more classic look.  The way you've built up the lavender rocks as the base here is fantastic, and I also love your use of the black pentagonal plates around the balcony.  As much as I dislike minidolls, I have to commend your use of many different types of character here.  It really helps to put this build into its theme, and each character has a place where they fit in.  Overall, this is an awesome castle.  The only thing it's really missing from the original is the bridge to the smaller secondary area, but that can be excused due to the sheer size and magnificence already on display.

Beautiful job!

This builds awesome. The first thing I thought of when I saw the original model was using the parts from it and reworking it into a larger base. You've used the excellent pre-existing colour palette and made it into an even more striking tower. 

That basement's a nice addition as well. :laugh:

This is really brilliant. You do the feel of the original set more than justice, while literally bringing it to a new level. The colours work very well together and create striking looks both on the inside and outside. And the dungeon is just hilarious! :laugh: :thumbup:

Well done. This is something I was wanting to do, but I have such a long list I never accomplished it yet.

It definitely is overpowering the official set. I did enjoy that build and final product though, which made me think like you and want to do something bigger.

I like the staircase as simple as it is, but it is nice to see things being "realistic." I usually end up dollhouse style and let my daughter jump from floor to floor.

I like the idea of the cyclops as guards. I hadn't considered that, but the color scheme works well. Now it makes me wish I had bought more when they were available. And the female ogre head works well for the Harry Potter troll. I never was able to pick him up, but his head always looks odd.

Maybe I still will build my own because my vision is definitely different from yours, but it's nice to see someone showing some love for Elves.

And what stickers are left on the sheets?

Fantastic work, Nemo. I like the rocky base of the build, as well as your choice of Cyclops (Cyclopses?) as guards. The guy in the dungeon is a humorous touch. :tongue:

The S@M cellar is a little cheeky. :wink:

I like the huge staircase though. Even if it is magenta.

Wow, I loved the idea from the onset, it's super playable. Lashina steals the scene :grin:

I especially love a nicely done castle that is very heavily fantasy. Makes me consider fitting the elves figures in general castle creations.

I like idea with lots of windows! Stained glass is one of hihlights in original tower, it's nice that you put there lot of them :) 

I'm intrested what is big flat black carpet on top of the tower