Sign in to follow this  
Ivan_M

[MOC] Military recovery truck (my vision of 42070)

Hi everyone, this is my creation I was working on past 2 months. I'm not thrilled how 42070 looks like and I wanted to build such truck for a long time, so it seemd like good opportunity. The biggest question about 42070 is of course color. For me it is something I cannot accept, that is why I have choose DBG as main color for my build. The model is loosely inspired by KRAZ 255B, but mainly for general dimmensions. It features:

- HOG steering with cabin steering wheel connected as well

- mini fake V8 engine (based on mini V12 by Crowkillers) connected to both rear axles

- Independent front suspension - I know this is not really corresponding to how front axles look like on real trucks, but it just fitted there so nicely I had to leave it like that. Front axle is also not driven because it would mean compromises I don't like - namely more limited turnin radius and pivot point moved more inside. I like setup with 6x4 much more

- Rear axles are similar to each other, they are live axles with two shock absorbers on each side. I have tried several designs of rear axles but this setup prooved the best for this type of truck. Travel distance is ~3 studs and axles are not linked to each other so they can be compressed to opposite side without affecting second axle. The four shock absorbers per axle are too stiff however, but they are much better because without symetry the axle can travel forward and backward. Maybe some links would solve this, but I like this setup.

- Manual outridges on sides operated from back of the truck. They are weak as kitten.

- Manual crane arm with slew, rising by mLA and winch

34742976204_bdbc8bde2c_c.jpgIMGP4997 by Ivan Moc, on Flickr

35197328700_fbff35297c_c.jpgIMGP5000 by Ivan Moc, on Flickr

34775175493_c50e7b6058_c.jpgIMGP5001 by Ivan Moc, on Flickr

34775174063_3f061a8f7f_c.jpgIMGP5002 by Ivan Moc, on Flickr

34775172533_ed36c7efd6_c.jpgIMGP5003 by Ivan Moc, on Flickr

34775169373_c99ab2a964_c.jpgIMGP5005 by Ivan Moc, on Flickr

35454032381_0bf7ae9f14_c.jpgIMGP5006 by Ivan Moc, on Flickr

34775161053_b2a6d278a4_c.jpgIMGP5007 by Ivan Moc, on Flickr

Very good MOC in functions, in details, and in appearance! I don't even know what part to look at: engine, suspension, detailing, mechanics... Nothing fancy, everything reasonably and soberly functional, no overthinking, just like the real machine supposed to be. I miss so much official sets like these!

Professional work, hat off. :thumbup:

edit: one minor thing could be improved, the hood panels could be connected by DBG 15100 6175330.jpg along the edges, for sake of visuality.

Edited by agrof

Thank you for your kind words, it is really encouraging. I will start with digital file today. I'm thinking about making proper instructions with LPub, I will see..

Really nice model. Honestly it is a bit unusual to have tractor tires on such military vehicle, so IMHO your model is more accurate than official 42070 set :thumbup:

Edited by I_Igor

4 hours ago, agrof said:

edit: one minor thing could be improved, the hood panels could be connected by DBG 15100 6175330.jpg along the edges, for sake of visuality.

Oh yes, that would be cool, some other parts are also available in better suited color. But I decided not to make bricklink order to finish this truck, that is the best achievement for me :blush::laugh:

Wow! Excellent model, it has most of the same functions as the MUCH LARGER 42070. :thumbup: Love the dark bley color scheme, its a lot better then yet another weird blue-with-yellow. Hats off to you!

I like your model. It is so clean and simple. I also like how you made front grill with help of slopes.

Great model. For the outriggers you can maybe shorten the toplinkage to 3L. That way the you can make the outrigger lock itself to make it much stronger. Most linkage driven outriggers from Lego have this kind of locking geometry , so you can have a look at some of them for inspiration maybe.

Just now, Jeroen Ottens said:

Great model. For the outriggers you can maybe shorten the toplinkage to 3L. That way the you can make the outrigger lock itself to make it much stronger. Most linkage driven outriggers from Lego have this kind of locking geometry , so you can have a look at some of them for inspiration maybe.

Thanks for the advise and kind words, I know what you mean, I have experimented with such setup and the problem is that retracted outriges were too wide and stayed too low limiting ground clearance. I know that outridges are probably the weakest part of the build because I made them last and I was already loosing the enthusiasm :blush:

Lovely! What I like most is the scale. It's actually not very big, but the proportions are so good on this. Really good job. I also like the high ground clearance. The dark gray works very well too. Much much better than the set. (What I find ironic is how the model is so much smaller, but does kind of the same things. It's only less "awesome" for the stereotypical kid, because it's not huge and sky blue...)

I'm not fond of the liftarm stacking in the at the rear of the sides of the cabin though. But I understand there's little options there. Also, the outriggers have a bit strange configuration, because they don't seem to lock. When extended, they don't look convincing. Maybe the higher connector (5L thin beams) should be shorter than the lower (5L thick beams). But I understand a lot of vertical travel is needed to maintain the ground clearance so it's hard to find a good geometry for them.

7 hours ago, MattL600 said:

Nice! Looks very Russian haha!

...but it is Ukrainian...:wink:

Thank you Erik for your input, I really appreciate it from you. It seems I will have to redo the outridges, you and Jeroen putted bug in my head and I want to improve them :classic:

I quite like this little utilitarian military truck. I love the features you squeezed in on the tiny scale, the suspension looks great and I love the little mini V8! Awesome job :thumbup:

Finally I had some time to rework outridges, here is what I came up with:

35267398150_f11e50defb_c.jpg20170701_205903 by Ivan Moc, on Flickr

35267397910_87dbd366d8_c.jpg20170701_205924 by Ivan Moc, on Flickr

I also improved by 100% inner structure under the cab. The friction to fake engine was reduced a lot. Now, when I push the truck, it will roll much further before stopping and CV joints stays in position even when I push suspension and roll it. I also looke into building steps and I think I will manage to make instructions in pdf using LPub. The build can be splitted into 5-6 modules. I'm still not sure about the outridges, what do you think?

The outriggers look interesting, but they do not form-lock when in the lowest position or do they? Ideally you want the driving liftarm to go just a bit further than the maximum it needs for full lift and then it should be blocked. That way, when you push against the outrigger from the bottom the driving linkage will try to turn further, but since it is blocked it can't do that. The way it is now you will push the driving liftarm up again. The only thing that stop it from doing that is the driving axle.
It is typically a lot of trial and error to get a linkage that works like I described (maybe the linkage on the crane of the Claas Xerion can be used?)

You are right, it doesn't lock itself, the setup I have used is almost the same as on Xerion but I have replaced the liftarm that touches the ground from 7L to bend 6x4 liftarm. This setup lock itself much further "down". I will try 4x4 bend liftarm but I think that the bend on liftarm prevents locking. But without the bend the folded outridges are too wide and ugly.