Sign in to follow this  
alanyuppie

[MOC] Optimus Prime The Last Knight

Well it was early last month when I was done wrapping up my previous LEGO triple changer project . Intending to build one more (triple changer)  ... then I saw the upcoming TLK Prime,  improved/remolded version of AOE Voyager Prime . Well, I was expecting more.. since its been 3 years anyway ( I remembered ROTF Prime was waaaay better than it's predecessor from earlier movie). I really hoped the kibbles could be better managed with few extra hinges. Anyway....

B0037.jpg

so I decided to build my own , as usual (evil laugh here), with a few main challenge to overcome:

> minimize the back kibbles to ensure  he has a nice silhouette
> tuck in the wheels as much as possible in his legs
> decent articulation for cool poses 
> no stickers... just good ol' lego parts to "replicate" the flame motive on his truck body.

B0039.jpg

My initial design for the shield was pretty elaborate but it failed the "wield test". The elbow joints can't take the load .. so I'm forced to simplify to what you see below, after reluctantly removing a dozen LEGO parts from my design:

b0116.jpg

b0143.jpg

A few notable photos of  the transformation:

d05.jpg
^ The multi hinged panels allow for various ways on how the legs can be formed. I end up with the above where most of the mass delegated to the ankles and feet (I can choose to fold some panels above to form  huge kneecaps but it won't look good).

d11.jpg

^ Those pesky smokestacks took me many days to perfect to allow them to be folded to the back of the bot mode. 

d12.jpg

... and they follow the roof panels as they are lifted. Windscreen rotated 180 degree revealing the head underneath.

e0205.jpg

He's ready to rage.

e0273.jpg

Only after transformation to bot mode... the chest cavity is formed, but still not big enough to conceal that godamn pointy Matrix. However.... this Prime is bestowed with Matrix of Readership....an ancient cybertronian artifacts /e-book-of-some-sort that will bore the kids to death with bedtime stories.

f0246.jpg

f0334.jpg

f0340.jpg

Warning: the following is NOT CANON:

Here's something up his sleeve, literally! The smokestacks in many other Primes doesn't serve any purpose besides looking cool. As for my Prime here... his 'stacks can be folded up to form multi-barrelled surface to anywhere cannons..! At the same time.. since it's no longer 80's... his shoulder pads will tuck in nicely on his back awaiting the next time round when it become fashionable again. Boy I really love LEGO Mixel balljoints making this possible!

g0356.jpg

I haven't watched TF5 yet when I posted this... I assume the following scene will happen (except intervention by another Prime of coz)? 

h0349.jpg

I've uploaded a bunch of photos in my blog links below. Do pay a visit inside to see more especially on
detailed steps on his transformations. thanks guys!

truck mode:
http://alanyuppie.blogspot.com/2017/06/lego-last-knight-optimus-prime-part-1.html

bot mode photos:
http://alanyuppie.blogspot.com/2017/06/lego-last-knight-optimus-prime-part-2.html

bot in raging madness photos
http://alanyuppie.blogspot.com/2017/06/lego-last-knight-optimus-prime-part-3.html

Edited by alanyuppie

Wow. I don't even understand how you start to MOC up something like this. Building a truck is enough, but adding that transforming function is amazing. 

This is a great MOC! Lots of cool poses with the joint pieces.
Interesting codpiece he's got ;)

On 6/28/2017 at 7:32 AM, Vindicare said:

Wow. I don't even understand how you start to MOC up something like this. Building a truck is enough, but adding that transforming function is amazing. 

I'm interested in how to start a MOC like this too. 

Alanyuppie - how do you design your models? Do you take a transformers toy and try to replicate it from that?

On 6/28/2017 at 9:09 PM, IstakaCiti said:

Transformers and Lego what a combination! Superb Model. It would be great if you can post a Video.

Yep. will do. I'm still scouting for a new gadget to capture videos of my MOCs. any suggestions?

On 7/1/2017 at 7:21 PM, slopemodified said:

This is a great MOC! Lots of cool poses with the joint pieces.
Interesting codpiece he's got ;)

I'm interested in how to start a MOC like this too. 

Alanyuppie - how do you design your models? Do you take a transformers toy and try to replicate it from that?

Well, usually when the toy doesn't live up to my expectations .. I don't buy them . I'll just google their photos and stare at them for a while to see if I can possibly improve on that using LEGO or not .   

Actually replicating a toy using LEGO parts is much more tedious than improvising it.. This is becoz the original toy might have hinges positioned in angles that I could never replicate. So in the end of the day.. its best  and more fun for me to come up with alternative transformation techniques to end up with the robot mode/proportions that I intended. 

On 7/3/2017 at 7:34 AM, alanyuppie said:

Yep. will do. I'm still scouting for a new gadget to capture videos of my MOCs. any suggestions?

I haven't done any either :(, but my mobile phone worked pretty well (which has hd video recording) for family videos.

On 7/3/2017 at 10:04 AM, alanyuppie said:

Well, usually when the toy doesn't live up to my expectations .. I don't buy them . I'll just google their photos and stare at them for a while to see if I can possibly improve on that using LEGO or not .   

Actually replicating a toy using LEGO parts is much more tedious than improvising it.. This is becoz the original toy might have hinges positioned in angles that I could never replicate. So in the end of the day.. its best  and more fun for me to come up with alternative transformation techniques to end up with the robot mode/proportions that I intended. 

Thank you for your reply. I would like to try that one day!