1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

approvedgold_v2_50.png

Hello everyone,

I am a huge fan of Superheroes, in particular Marvel Universe. Whenever LEGO release new Superheroes characters or different variants, I would always look out for it. This particular medium set which I am going to review, comprise quite a fair mix of different feelings towards the overall built. Why would I feel this way? I suppose you can read on to find my thoughts in this review. Without further ado, let's bring on this particular segment to our Eurobricks Community. 

Name: 76077 Iron Man: Detroit Steel Strikes
Theme: LEGO System / Licensed / Marvel Superheroes 
Year: 2017
Pieces: 377
Minifigs: 3
Price: USD $29.99, GBP 29.99, EURO 34.99, SGD $69.90
Resources: Brickset, BrickLink

An original box image of the 76077 Iron Man: Detroit Steel Strikes
35371025112_50472b51ec_o_d.jpg

Back view of the original box image of the 76077 Iron Man: Detroit Steel Strikes
34697188124_e62be38a4b_o_d.jpg

Who's the real beauty in this set?
35499300326_49f8f8ae71_o_d.jpg
This medium size set comprise of two protagonists and one antagonist which somehow reminded me of the earlier Marvel Cinematic Universe movie of Iron Man 2. Although this set is not a pure representation of the movie, but it based on the own merits from the Marvel comics where the designer was originally inspired to develop the set into a decent built set. In this set, we are getting a new variant of Iron Man and a new Iron Man deadly foe. More importantly, let's first get the Marvel fans rejoice in celebration. We have finally seen the official LEGO minifigure of Agent Coulson in this set. I was wondering when we are going to see this character since his other S.H.I.E.L.D counterparts, Maria Hill was only seen in the 76042 The Shield Helicarrier. I simply can't hold back my emotions when I had finally seen Agent Coulson in his official representation especially when we had seen other S.H.I.E.L.D operatives like Director Nick Fury, Natasha Romanoff and Clint Barton.  This kind of summarised for me, that this set is in other words a minifigure bait to buy this set without hesitation. 

The content of the sealed box
35371024832_0186b2ec08_o_d.jpg
The sealed box come with three numbered mint packs. The instruction manuals and comic are part of the content. This set also contained the dreaded sticker sheet in its sorry state. I did not do anything to it and it looked like this when I took it out from in-between the manuals. I did not apply stickers for this set and in this review.  After the set is completed, these are the remaining spare parts which are spread across the packs. You can view the spare parts for packet 1, packet 2 and packet 3.  

The new LEGO Marvel Superheroes minifigures
35371020972_d53099a1f5_o_d.jpg

These are the latest minifigures from the first quarter of 2017 LEGO Marvel Superheroes minifigures and are unique to this set. From left to right, we have Agent Coulson, Invincible Iron Man and Justin Hammer.  Upon removing their helmets and hairpieces, you can see back view of the minifigures with their alternate facial expressions. All of the minifigures are featured with impressive back printing. You can amaze at their minifigure life appearance without their shade or helmets attached. The Invincible Iron Man also had the new playing element known as the power blast where you can push the element inward from the minifigure hand and fire forward. I did not particularly enjoy playing with this feature as I do not know if it will damage the minifigure's arm. It is definitely fun for the children but for AFOLs, I am not too confident about it. Alternatively, I can just leave the power blast element as it is. 

The Invincible Iron Man is the 15th variant of the LEGO Iron Man minifigures series. The helmet cannot be lifted upwards like the other Iron Man suits. This variant look more like the animated Iron Man cartoon in the 1990s but is more accurately reflected in the Invincible Iron Man comic book. This minifigure is not a huge appeal factor to me, but it is certainly good to have it in the collection. The antagonist, Justin Hammer is a business rival to Stark Industries. Justin is the CEO of Hammer Industries. He constantly developed mech suits which can be as advanced and sophisticated like the Iron Man suits in order to bring down Tony Stark business empire into crumbles. Thankfully, Justin is in his mech costume versus his business attire. The main appeal factor among the minifigure is Agent Coulson. He is a pretty iconic character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the drama series of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I am extremely fond of this character very much as there are many attempts among the LEGO community where we seek to create his LEGO identity. I sincerely hope with the introduction of this character, we may just have a chance to see other Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D characters such as May and Skye in 2018 Marvel Inhumans Movie. 

The entire building content for Packet 1
35371024492_4317836c74_o_d.jpg

The completed built for Packet 1
35371024152_8f913bcfe3_o_d.jpg
The completed built for the first packet is to build the iconic Red Lola which is a huge appeal to this set and another bigger reason to buy it. The packet also contain the minifigure of Agent Coulson. The design captured the 1962 Chevrolet Corvette pretty accurately and measured at 4cm high, 14cm long and 6cm wide. The vehicle encompass a very good all rounded built, including the traditional classic town car doors and having the printed car tile as the front bumper. The Red Lola is capable of transforming into a hovering craft mode by tilting the four wheels. The vehicle is capable of quick escape by hovering out of danger. The mechanical controls can be found at the driver's seat and the vehicular front windscreen is using the same part from the Speed Racers series. I can easily find a suitable 1x2 printed control tiles to replace in favour of the stickered tile. You can admire the beautiful sleek Red Lola vehicle from the front view, back view and side view. 

The entire building content for Packet 2
35538476435_ddc0d13a15_o_d.jpg

The completed built for Packet 2
35371023822_6a07fa95e5_o_d.jpg
The completed built of packet 2 is focused on the upper half of Detroit Steel mech and this packet also include the minifigure of Justin Hammer. 

The entire building content for Packet 3
34697186784_2ac59835fa_o_d.jpg

The completed built for Packet 3
35538475825_61b0807307_o_d.jpg
The completed built of packet 3 include the fully built of Detroit Steel mech and it also included the minifigure of Invincible Iron Man. 

The completed built of Detroit Steel mech
34697186304_4715fe2937_o_d.jpg
This is the poorly represented built of Detroit Steel mech. When I had seen the original reference of Detroit Steel mech, I was expecting it to be bigger and much nicer looking than this rather odd built. The sizing doesn't quite add up as it's pretty short, standing at 14cm high. I suspect is due to the piece counts restriction for such a set which limit the mech to be much sturdy and impressive looking. The colour representation was closely represented as a form of American Patriot. Hammer Industries wanted to mass produce these armoured soldiers in the bid of out-winning Tony Stark businesses. For a start, the LEGO built did not appeal to me at all and versus with the Red Lola, it was pale in comparison. You can take a closer look at the mech arms and their mech legs on their ball joint connection. I am very disappointed with the weapons integration on the chainsaw and the 6-studs machine gun shooter as I find the robotic grips on their hands to be rather makeshift by just making a quick connection. The suit is capable of taking in one controlled personnel, similar to the Hulkbuster. In this case, Justin Hammer is piloting the Detroit Steel controls

You can view more of Detroit Steel mech from the back view, side view with 6-studs machine gun shooter and side view with chainsaw Below are some play scenes which I have managed to put together for your viewing pleasure. 

Detroit Steel pitting against the Hulkbuster
35371020682_8f7d0c54b5_o_d.jpg

What is the current situation?
35151486380_649af4cd47_o_d.jpg

S.H.I.E.L.D Organisation
35538472595_c44bda7832_o_d.jpg

Agents, let's roll out!
34697183344_19b79d8e40_o_d.jpg

Justin, it's time for you to give up
34697183914_17feabf540_o_d.jpg
To conclude, this set is an average LEGO playset and I wanted to rate it higher due to Red Lola and Agent Coulson design. However, the overall built of Detroit Steel was a disappointment. The price per ratio is very reasonable for the price range especially in the US unlike Singapore. I am very glad to buy this set in the US SRP and is certainly very worth it than buying it locally. The Singapore local pricing was a disappointment as well, which is why I had gave it a lower score as well. This set is a very good introduction to expand the Marvel characters and expanding the Marvel Cinematic Universe in some way through the introduction of Agent Coulson. This set is fun to play with and integrate well with other LEGO existing official sets from the Marvel Superheroes theme. It's entirely up to us to decide the playing value and for me, this is pretty fun playing and building experience. I really hope even with the poor Detroit Steel mech design, this does not deter you from pick up this set. 

Summary review
Playability: 8/10 (Fun playability on the integration of other LEGO Marvel Superheroes sets.)
Design: 6/10 (Very good design on Red Lola and poor design on the Detroit Steel mech)
Price: 4/10 (Price is on the high side when taken Singapore SRP into consideration price per parts ratio and minifigure counts. US SRP is definitely alright in this case)
Overall: 6/10 (Do get this set and add into your collection. I am sure this set will still be attractive to many of us.)

I gave it a "3" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about you?

I hope every one of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Criticisms are welcomed.
Pictures can be found in My Flickr.

Dear Eurobricks Community, 

Allow me to present my latest Marvel Superheroes reviewing attempt. :wub: 

Hope you enjoy reading it. 

WhiteFang

I noticed you didn't apply the stickers; I tend not to do this as well, aside from the large aircraft vehicles (which I display). 

I think I'm he only person who voted "outstanding" for the set, and that's due to the overdue inclusion of Coulson (and Lola as an added bonus), the great-looking super suits, and the fact that I may have gotten this set for $20! 

I enjoyed your review, and I agree that Detroit Steel is a poor representation of his comic book source material

Yeah, that mech looks a bit unfinished for the source material, and looks even worse next to the Hulkbuster!

Lola is a very fine looking machine, and the minifigs, as usual these days, are superb. I specially like the inclusion of hairpieces, which I think is a selling factor in the quality of a set.

Now that we have Agent Coulson, SHIELD is even stronger in LEGO form. That team picture you took is awesome!

Thank you for another great review! :classic:

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful comments. I am glad you liked the review. 

17 hours ago, Aegis2000 said:

I noticed you didn't apply the stickers; I tend not to do this as well, aside from the large aircraft vehicles (which I display). 

I think I'm he only person who voted "outstanding" for the set, and that's due to the overdue inclusion of Coulson (and Lola as an added bonus), the great-looking super suits, and the fact that I may have gotten this set for $20! 

I enjoyed your review, and I agree that Detroit Steel is a poor representation of his comic book source material

Yes, I don't quite like to apply stickers unless absolute necessary. For USD$20, it's definitely a steal. I couldn't mind getting another set at this discounted price. 

14 hours ago, Lyonel McBaseplate said:

Yeah, that mech looks a bit unfinished for the source material, and looks even worse next to the Hulkbuster!

Lola is a very fine looking machine, and the minifigs, as usual these days, are superb. I specially like the inclusion of hairpieces, which I think is a selling factor in the quality of a set.

Now that we have Agent Coulson, SHIELD is even stronger in LEGO form. That team picture you took is awesome!

Thank you for another great review! :classic:

Thank you. I am glad you like the particular S.H.I.E.L.D group photo. It was one of my favourite set up. 

Nice review as always! The car is really nice but the mech, not quite. The bright red colored iron man is quite cartoon-ish but in MOCer's view, Agent Coulson's suit is a nice 'agent' kind of outfit.