Sign in to follow this  
Kwatchi

[SR-FB1] - June '17 - Affairs of State Part 1: A Helping Hand

As the colony grew, the basket lifts proved an inadequate method of travel for goods and people between the harbours of Lowtown at the bottom of the sea cliffs and Hightown.  To ameliorate this (and break the strangle hold of the Porter's Guild on trade) a path was cut into the cliff face that linked the two boroughs of Charlatan Bay.  One side effect was that it opened up space for new housing, and many of the burgeoning middle class who were banned from living in Hightown due to their unbelief in Hades Ascendant built their residences along Winding Way in order to rise above the crime and filth of the harbour slums.

0fdaimN.jpg

Admiral Cadiz, I welcome you once again to Charlatan Bay.

I thank you sir, though I wish it was under more auspicious circumstances,.

FWI3u4h.jpg

Yes. I have had word of Mardier's defeat at Isla de Medio.

Defeat?!  Hogwash!  Those flea-ridden cowardly merchants of Eslandola bribed all the colonial governors and mayors, and those greedy two-faced politicians cut off our supplies.  I tell you sir, we fought as true warriors and made them pay in many a battle but those traitors to the crown made it a certainty that it was nigh impossible to win the war.  When I learned of the whole affair, I must tell you my disgust was nearly equal to my outrage.  Those green cut purses have no sense of honour.

I take it you received my letter then, sir.

bEdKCzg.jpg

Yes Admiral.  Your cutter arrived three days ago.

oGlOTIu.jpg

Have you considered my humble request for asylum then, sir?  I saved as many of our honourable soldiers as I could during the chaos of our retreat, but for all the moneygrubber's talk of a "noble surrender" they harried my countrymen with irregulars and mercenaries like a pack of hyenas.  May those two-tongued coin fondlers choke on all their ill-gotten gold.  I left many a brave boy in the mud as we fought a rear-guard action. And sir, they desperately require some respite before they march again.

XjuHs3T.jpg

Admiral Cadiz, I understand completely.  An enemy of Eslandola will always be welcome on these shores. Please accept the colonies hospitality on my behalf.  An area has been set aside at the cliff top north of the town where your men may bivouac.   And perhaps during your stay, I can inconvenience you by borrowing your engineers for a few projects I have in mind to assure our safety here.

Capital sir!  A most excellent agreement between true warriors.  I was telling my second, young Flag Captain Jardines here, that Mardier has a friend in you sir.

Now, on to other matters.  What of that prisoner I provided you months ago.  Did he provide you the information you sought, sir?

I have had him in confinement since you gifted him to me (and my thanks again). But by happy coincidence Admiral, I have just recently turned him over to the Red Monks and they inform me he is now disposed to talking and I was on my way to see him.  Care to join me?

Indeed, sir!   A most gracious offer.  I will certainly accompany you as I as well am interested in what has to say.

Part 2 - An Answer

===

I have to thank Bregir and Company.  I've been pretty uninspired for the last few months, but after seeing their excellent Operation Pax Corlandia yesterday I was driven to hit the bricks in order to come up with a Mardieran perspective on events.  While I was strongly opposed to the Princes of Garvey competition and the underlying issue, I can't deny it has generated some great story lines.

Also, I will be licensing this a small residence.  'Cuz, why not. :)

EXTRA PHOTOS

kKEBoio.jpg

B6SJoMl.jpg

Edited by Kwatchi

very nice build! The sloped road is very well done. Could use some roofs though. What settlement is this in? The build doesn't really say.

1 hour ago, Mesabi said:

very nice build! The sloped road is very well done. Could use some roofs though. What settlement is this in? The build doesn't really say.

Given it's Kwatchi, Charlatan Bay.

Nice build Kwatchi. I like the houses and the sloped walkway, and the cortege of Mardierian soldiers is great too.

Although I may disagree with the admiral's characterization of the final stages of the war and Eslandola in general, I must say that this is a well done story and MOC! Great dialogue. I love the sloped street; I wish we saw more builds with such stark elevation changes. :thumbup:

Great build and what makes it shine is indeed that elevated road. Also the story is very well thought of and original. As you said, controversial matters on the game, stimulate building activity and that's exactly where we must be heading at all times. Intrigue is the mother of imagination as I like to say! Keep up the great work Kwatchi!

Thanks for the kind comments all.  Considering I pulled it together on the spur of the moment, I am pretty happy with it.

14 hours ago, Mesabi said:

What settlement is this in? The build doesn't really say.

The colony name is in the second sentence. :pir_laugh2:

21 minutes ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Excellent job on those custom torsos!

Did you create or find them?

Low-tech solution: I took the the torso print files from here and converted them in MS Paint over a few lunch hours at the office pixel by pixel.  Not an overly complicated process, but boringly repetitive and takes a bit of time.  I'm sure a proper graphic design suite could do it in a fraction of what it took me.

Edited by Kwatchi

Very cool, Kwatchi - great job with that slanting road, and happy to see you back again! :grin:  Nice work with the facades as well, and as Captain B mentioned, those uniforms are quite neat! :thumbup:

Great job incorporating the slanting street here, Kwatchi - that can be tricky!  Very nice houses, and it's neat to see someone portraying the Marderian opinions! :thumbup: