Blast

Need guidance getting into Lego Trains.

I have recently decided I'd like to get into Lego trains but i'm not really sure where to start. I don't have a huge budget so I can most likely only afford one train for the time being.

I have to wonder why these Trains are so expensive as well, even second hand versions from years ago cost a pretty penny.

LEGO is a premium toy product and priced as such.  Old sets tend to hold their value or go up if they are desirable.  That wasn't the case years ago when LEGO wasn't as popular. Your best bet might to be wait for a sale on a current train set.  The starter sets come with all the pieces to get the addiction going.

As to where to start, there are really only two main types of LEGO trains: passenger and cargo. There is usually one of each type for sale at time, but there is occasionally overlap. Pick the type you want, and wait for it to go on sale if you're patient. The cargo trains allow you more creativity to modify the cars. The passenger trains tend to have much more specialized parts, especially the front noses of the cars, and the front car and back car tend to mirror each other.

I recommend that you buy a cargo train - probably 60052.  This set comes with a good track and a good train, as well as a realistic crane.  Around Christmas and times like that, you can get  60052 for about £110 pounds on Amazon - £40 cheaper than the LEGO shop.

Edited by Vilhelm22

Good choice! Unfortunately there aren't any extra cars, cranes, or lorries/trucks that you can get from the LEGO shop, but you can always make it longer by purchasing MOCs or carriages from other sets off eBay.  Heavy haul train 60098 carriages are quite easy to get hold of as it is another current set.

However, you can get more track as a simple expansion.

Edited by Vilhelm22