Zoetropes are an old idea, all the way from 19th century. The video explains in detail how they work. I'm not the first person to create a Lego zoetrope and I kept mine simple to just demonstrate the idea. Photos & reading: http://sariel.pl/2017/06/zoetrope/

Fun machine..... but would it look a little more realistic if you slowed it down a bit?  Both the ST walking and twirling his gun seemed a little too fast.....

Good idea! This seems like an excellent Lego Ideas candidate. Lego can sell different sets of figures to accompany the zoetrope device, although I like in particular the stormtroopers!

Very nice! I've always loved Zoetropes and Lego ones are just the icing on the cake :classic:

There seems to be one subtle detail wrong though - each slit is supposed to have a drawing/mini-figure directly behind it, but yours doesn't look like it does.  The trick is to build the cylinder from a polygon using an odd number of sides (very tricky to do, given that Lego generally builds even-numbered polygons).  That might actually help make the animation look a bit better, especially on camera.

I also wondered if you should reduce the number of frames and make the wall panels a bit wider, that might help blur out the side frames and keep the viewer's eyes focused on the central figure.

I remember a great Zoetrope on Lego Ideas, I'll have to try building one of these some day... though as most of my Lego bricks are 800 miles away at the moment, it'll just have to stay on the to-do list for now...

Very fascinating and interesting to watch.  Great implementation in LEGO!

i think mesmerizing was the word I was hunting for!

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Very cool. Very interesting.

Pleased you used Storm Troopers rather than hamsters :wacko:

1 hour ago, grum64 said:

Very cool. Very interesting.

Pleased you used Storm Troopers rather than hamsters :wacko:

Though I do think hamsters would also go good here as well. ;);)

Andy D

Edited by Andy D