diegoflorez84

[MOC] Casa Cartagena (colonial style building)

Hi everyone, I just wanted to share a LEGO model inspired in the city of Cartagena, a Colombian paradise for vacation.

Ambienced on a latin american coastal vacation atmosphere, Casa Cartagena is a perfect place for all the passing-by tourists who want to take a break of walking around the 'Walled City' and grab a cold drink or just chill out.

If you like it, please Support it on https://ideas.lego.com/projects/69aba0ad-b171-4002-9f2d-797f066f20e4 by clicking on the 'Support' button.

4481148-6.v3-Mmh4o4xUSFtVsA-thumbnail-full.png

Everyone is invited to come inside Casa Cartagena to have a nice fruit beberage!

7crua7zm7a8u.png

About the model

• It is inspired by the 'Walled city' (in Cartagena, Colombia), a place full of color and colonial architecture.
  • The building can be opened and closed vertically by the half.
  • Its design is also based on the modular technique, which allows to remove the ceiling and the second floor.
  • Minifigs: Sven, the scandinavian tourist; Joseph, a canadian businessman; Laura, the young girl who runs the business; and Petronila, the local native who provides fruits.
  • It has around 750 bricks.

More pictures and description in: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/69aba0ad-b171-4002-9f2d-797f066f20e4

Its pretty. However I would be careful about mixing yellow minifigures, which are supposed to represent a uniform neutral skin color, with the licensed-style representational skin colors. It looks weird and singles out the one skin color especially when that figure is described as 'the local native who sell fruits'.

1 hour ago, koalayummies said:

Its pretty. However I would be careful about mixing yellow minifigures, which are supposed to represent a uniform neutral skin color, with the licensed-style representational skin colors. It looks weird and singles out the one skin color especially when that figure is described as 'the local native who sell fruits'.

Having lived in Mexico on and off, any time there was a random single Black guy in the village he would definitely be pointed out as "the Black dude", so whatever potential "problem" you're seeing doesn't exist in my eyes. (And since when is calling someone "a local" a problem anyway?)

Example: "Ve con El Negro y traeme unas cebollas." (Go to the Black guy's shop and bring me some onions.)

Or they call him "El Negrito", "El Moreno", etc. The locals just like to call each other by description, not by name. They refer to the fat guy as THE fat guy, they call the oldest lady in the village THE old lady, and they call the only Chinese dude THE Chinese dude. There's no malice behind it. Even the stores have pet names.

If there's only one dude in the village that sells fruit, then he's called "El Frutero", meaning "The Fruit Guy."

However, if this were an MOC of a place where dark skinned people are notiriously mercilessly taunted, like, oh, I don't know, Spain, then now we have an interesting conversation lol

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

On 22/06/2017 at 10:14 PM, Henchmen4Hire said:

Having lived in Mexico on and off, any time there was a random single Black guy in the village he would definitely be pointed out as "the Black dude", so whatever potential "problem" you're seeing doesn't exist in my eyes. (And since when is calling someone "a local" a problem anyway?)

The problem exists because in the Lego world, yellow skin minifigures are not meant to represent white / pink / caucasian people. The yellow-skinned world is meant to be raceless. Your ideas submission is suggesting the opposite.

On 2017-6-23 at 10:40 AM, AnkTales said:

Really good!

Thank you! Hope you can support the project on https://ideas.lego.com/projects/69aba0ad-b171-4002-9f2d-797f066f20e4

42 minutes ago, Admiral Quackbar said:

This is a brilliant MOC! Congratulations on building something outside of the box, it is really interesting to see a MOC that follows a similar design to the modulars and yet is on  hinges like a cheap creator set like the corner deli. The porch over the balcony is also really well done and I can see this MOC going well with the palace cinema. Good Job : )

Thank you, Admiral! Nice words :) I really hope you can help me with a vote on the LEGO Ideas Platform