Sign in to follow this  
dathil

AoM: Ginnon Valley(Tower phase one)

Hi guys,

after doing a large build for the SJ17 I did not have much motivation for a new large project immediatly. Then I remembered how I have many uncompleted Age of Mitgardia builds left to do :P

Here is my take on the tower phase one! My first focus was on the rockwork, and when I started the tower I had no idea where it was going, but im quite pleased with the result.

2017-06-21_06-32-48
Spoiler
IMG_20170619_183542IMG_20170619_183555IMG_20170619_183511

Very nice tower, Dathil!

Slope rock formations will always look nice to me, and you built this very well.  The woodwork is very nice, especially the paneling and crenelations on the top!  That roof technique is perfect for this tower.  The mounted head is marvelously built, both the head shaping and the antlers!  I might utilize your technique in the future...

We should see more AoM builds, so keep them coming!  That banner is a great inclusion!

Very Nice build :thumbup:

The rockwork is defenitely spot-on, and though I am usually no big fan of dark medium flesh, I think the colour works well here! And of course, the antler detail tops things top perfectly

Very nice watchtower, dathil, the wood-work is excellent (and the inclusion of that medium flesh!), and the deer/elk head is just perfect! - awesome parts usage there! :wub:  Altogether a great build, but some better photography would definitely help it - maybe try using a large piece of white paper as a background (just put it under the build and bend it up against the wall)? 

Great rockwork there man... I only wished for a better photography, to highlight better the tower.

There's a lot to like about this little tower, from the nice SNOT rockwork of the base through the cedar shingles on the sides in medium dark flesh and the beautiful mounted deer head and rack of antlers made from a brown frog and minifig hands, all the way to the shingles of the roof. I have two small critiques: first, like others have said, photography; a clean background is essential to get rid of distractions. It does not need need to be fancy, a sheet of white posterboard, or even just some white printer paper taped together carefully, but the textured walls behind don't really work. Also, I would advise against taking pictures in full sun, as it makes them washed out and full of glare. In the shade is a better place for outdoor pictures. Second, while I love the medium dark flesh for the shingles, it does not really work for the crenelations, perhaps due to the visible brick print on the back. That being said, the tower itself is nicely constructed, and I love the lack of exposed studs!

Thanks guys! I'm quite happy as well with how the rocks turned out. Ill try to get some rounded parts from BL and curved slopes to get a more organic form, but I really like to mix snot with studs-up, as it doesn't give a too-boring rock :p

Also thanks for the photography feedback: I know this was an issue for me, but your tips are good examples of quite simple things to fix, which will improve pretty much without having to worry about camera details ;) thanks!

Quite a gorgeous tower! The way it sits into the rockbase adds more interest to the scene, and the wooden details are excellent :thumbup:
Brilliant deer head too, has to be the best I've seen :classic:

Very nice tower that fits the mitgardian style wonderfully. I really like the way it has a non regular base.