This was originally designed to be the smallest RC car to use a buggy motor, but it soon became an extremely powerful car capable of drifting.

I refined the chassis design over 2 prototypes, and then tried multiple combinations of gear ratios and different sizes of wheels to achieve the best speed.

The result: this MOC you are looking at right now!

800x563.jpg

Driven by buggy motor, geared 1:1.25

800x600.jpg

Steered by PF servo

800x600.jpg

Hidden power switch on underside

800x600.jpg

LDcad/POV-Ray animation

Animation.gif

Video: http://bricksafe.com/files/mocbuild101/drift-racer-chassis/video.mpg

Instructions: http://www.rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-8835/mocbuild101/2wd-drift-racer-chassis

3D File http://www.bricksafe.com/files/mocbuild101/drift-racer-chassis/2WD Drift Racer 3D file.mpd

Edited by mocbuild101

Looks very promising, but the wheels (especially rear ones) may slip out from the axle so fast, so I'd invert the wheel disks or use a longer axle. Also I believe that this chassis could drift with amazing burnout using BuWizz :grin:

2 hours ago, Void_S said:

Looks very promising, but the wheels (especially rear ones) may slip out from the axle so fast, so I'd invert the wheel disks or use a longer axle.

Do you mean the wheels would come off? because they don't, and the axle does go all the way in the wheel - it just doesn't look like it in the photo.

2 hours ago, Void_S said:

Also I believe that this chassis could drift with amazing burnout using BuWizz :grin:

Wait until you see the video - it already does a great burnout!

That Is one Small car, and very fast car. I imagine if you put on claas wheel, it would be a speed record holder!

35 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

I imagine if you put on claas wheel, it would be a speed record holder!

Maybe, but I wouldn't have anywhere to get to it's top speed, and I don't (yet) have a Claas wheel.

1 hour ago, Void_S said:

I'm looking forward to see how it works :blush:

You won't be disappointed! I will post the video tomorrow after I edit it.

1 hour ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Awesome! Does it actually drift or is it just fast? Looking forward to the video!

Thanks, it is very fast and does drift - not for very long, but it is extremely fun to play with! 

Did you try to add a caster angle to the front axle? I did that on my Ford Fiesta WRC, and that was very efficient (with not a huge power).

I will be posting video shortly, just having some problems with editing :wink:.

11 hours ago, Lego2016Lego said:

Looks great, what body will you put on it?

None, I built it as a chassis, but I'm making instructions - so hopefully someone can make a body for it!

10 hours ago, Anto said:

Did you try to add a caster angle to the front axle? I did that on my Ford Fiesta WRC, and that was very efficient (with not a huge power).

No, because that would add more weight and complexity without adding much else.

5 hours ago, PunkTacoNYC said:

Despite - or rather because of – its simplicity, I may actually have to build this.

1 hour ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

this looks awesome and for sure on the build list. I have a few buggy motors just waiting!!

Thanks, I will be making the instructions over the next few days, so it won't be long before you can build it!

33 minutes ago, PunkTacoNYC said:

And it doesn't even turn on the voltage protection.

That is because I geared the buggy motor down, the first time I tried it, I geared it up - which did turn the voltage protection on.

it is really nice chassis! Looks like fun to drive it around :) Have you tried smaller wheels for better acceleration and tires that are less adhesive?

59 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Cool video! Why is it not on YouTube? Next challenge: 4WD Drift Chassis!

I tried to build one, but with original parts it is nearly impossible. No one-way-diff, no precise steering and torque control, extreme friction and lack of power. The car keeps doing donuts and result is not much better than performance of this chassis. 
I really look forward to see somebody build real one. :) 

Edited by HorcikDesigns

On 23/06/2017 at 3:14 AM, TechnicRCRacer said:

Cool video! Why is it not on YouTube?

Thanks, it's because I'm not on YouTube - which is mainly because I don't make many videos, but also because my video camera isn't very good.

On 23/06/2017 at 4:18 AM, HorcikDesigns said:

it is really nice chassis! Looks like fun to drive it around :) Have you tried smaller wheels for better acceleration and tires that are less adhesive?

Thanks, it's very fun to play with, and like I said:

On 21/06/2017 at 7:44 PM, mocbuild101 said:

I tried multiple combinations of gear ratios and different sizes of wheels to achieve the best speed.

On 23/06/2017 at 3:14 AM, TechnicRCRacer said:

Next challenge: 4WD Drift Chassis!

Maybe... It should be possible, but I'm not sure it would be any better than 2WD...

Edited by mocbuild101

Just now, mocbuild101 said:

Thanks, it's because I'm not on YouTube - which is mainly because I don't make many videos, but also because my video camera isn't very good

I shoot my videos with my iPhone camera and it looks pretty good. 

On 6/23/2017 at 2:20 PM, TechnicRCRacer said:

I shoot my videos with my iPhone camera and it looks pretty good. 

I haven't acquired one of those yet, and my camera's resolution is only 640x480.

Hopefully one day I will get a better camera...

Edit: That day has come! I now have a smartphone that can record 1920x1080 video! - so expect much better videos form now on...

Edited by mocbuild101

Looks like your wheels (especially front) have too much traction :laugh:. But as @TechnicRCRacer mentioned, a 4WD (hmm... I think AWD better) should give better result... And just for fun, here's a link to a video I found some time back - seems to drift very well! That fellow used two RC motors (sort of a hybrid of AWD and 4WD)... but not buwizz... wheels taped though...

On 23/06/2017 at 6:03 PM, PorkyMonster said:

Looks like your wheels (especially front) have too much traction :laugh:. But as @TechnicRCRacer mentioned, a 4WD (hmm... I think AWD better) should give better result... And just for fun, here's a link to a video I found some time back - seems to drift very well! That fellow used two RC motors (sort of a hybrid of AWD and 4WD)... but not buwizz... wheels taped though...

I agree that 4WD/AWD should be much better - and I might to give it a try - but I don't know if I can use standard wheels (with proper tires).

I might also try using a RC unit instead of PF, mainly so I can use 2 buggy motors.

Or PF train motors - because they don't need gearing (so less friction), and I just happen to have some!

Edited by mocbuild101

12 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

I don't know if I can use standard wheels (with proper tires)

My personal gut feel is that Lego motors are too weak, so we'll need either smooth flooring, smooth tires (both resulting in low traction), or impossibly tiny and/or light model :wacko:, in order to drift...

Edited by PorkyMonster

1 hour ago, PorkyMonster said:

My personal gut feel is that Lego motors are too weak, so we'll need either smooth flooring, smooth tires (both resulting in low traction), or impossibly tiny and/or light model :wacko:, in order to drift...

Well I have got smooth flooring and tires (as well as 4 buggy motors :grin:), and I should be able to make it quite small...

But I'm currently making the instructions for this, so it will have wait...