Hi,

I have a weird problem after I installed LDD 4.3.10 in a new Lenovo T470s laptop running Windows 10 Creator's update.

LDD will run without any kinds of crash, and display the models just right and with full performance, but the UI is lacking the blue toolbar on the top (the one with the Open and Save buttons). It just shows a blue thick line instead.

I have an old Lenovo laptop running the same resolution than this new one, and everything looks fine there. It is also running Windows 10 Creator's update. Just to be sure, I uninstalled LDD and reinstalled using the same file that I downloaded on the new laptop. And everything still looks fine. I also checked which drivers I got installed, and I got all latest Lenovo recommended updates, including graphics drivers.

There is an additional problem also. The mouse cursor seems to have an offset. I mean, when you try to press on a UI button or checkbox, then the button gets highlighted only when the mouse is slightly below the button. This is really weird.

Did someone encounter this problem already?

LDD_4_3_10_with_bad_UI.jpg

Hi UrielC, I would suggest you have a look at the link below first as there have been other issues previously reported around LDD on Windows 10, might be of help.

Already checked that one out. Mostly deals with problems displaying the bricks, with OpenGL stuff and such. Nothing about problems with the UI itself.

Do you have display scaling on something else than 100%?

Settings > System > Display > Scale

If it's not at 100% (e.g. 150%) try setting it to 100% and see if LDD works fine. I doubt that's causing the problem, but you never know. Some programs are known to have difficulties with something other than 100%.

I had my doubts about that one, but I changed it back to 100 % also and rebooted and it didn't help. I also uninstalled and reinstalled LDD after rebooting, and that didn't work either.

Did you ensure that the user folder of LDD has been deleted after uninstalling?
Did you checked your graphic card driver? (which graphic card?)

Yes... I ensured to delete user folder (C:\Users\<MyUser>\AppData\Roaming , right?) before reinstalling.

And the graphic card is the one on board for the Intel motherboard, an Intel 620, which has the latest drivers.

Did you ever solve this?

I have the same problem.  I found it works in safe mode, however it runs too slowly in safe mode.  The problem is that the whole window is shifted up, possibly due to the bottom info bar, and causes the mouse pointer to be misaligned as well - when clicking buttons in dialog boxes you have to aim below the button.

And your video card is... ?

It seems that LDD has some problem with the OpenGL drivers of recent video cards. Many uses experienced problems with latest Nvidia 10X0, but if I'm not wrong someone found some kind of workaround. Maybe poking around with OpenGL setting you could obtain some result.

Edited by Calabar

This is a Lenovo Intel platform laptop, so it has the Intel HD Graphics 620 on the chipset.

I have a hard time believing that this particular problem is OpenGL related.

LDD probably uses OpenGL only to display the bricks in the editing area and other windows, such as the brick menu. Other areas such as menus and buttons probably use some other technology or windows library to display the controls.

OpenGL is intended to render 3D graphics, so it doesn't make sense to use it to display windows controls.

Oops, I didn't read the first post and I thought it was another issue.

Anyway I think it is a graphic card issue: you have the same problem and the same video card of the user above.

Calabar, not sure that I follow... of which user I have the same graphic card? Is there a solution for this mentioned by that user ?

1 hour ago, UrielC said:

OpenGL is intended to render 3D graphics, so it doesn't make sense to use it to display windows controls.

OpenGL is also very fast for 2D graphics. For instance, some video players use it.

It may also be used for compositing (placing windows on the desktop). That could explain why everything is offset: the bottom bar pushed the window in the compositor but the window/mouse handler doesn’t know.

2 hours ago, Calabar said:

And your video card is... ?

It seems that LDD has some problem with the OpenGL drivers of recent video cards. Many uses experienced problems with latest Nvidia 10X0, but if I'm not wrong someone found some kind of workaround. Maybe poking around with OpenGL setting you could obtain some result.

Genius.  I'm using a laptop that has both a nVidia GTX 960m and an Intel HD 530.  I set it to run using the nVidia card and it works!  So it's a problem with the Intel graphics driver.

Thanks a lot!!

@UrielC

That user was... you! :grin:
Pardon me, I've very few time and I can just take a look at the forum, I didn't realize that when I asked psdillon which was his video card, I received an answer from you instead, because you already answered the question.

I think you should try to clean video card drivers and maybe try to install some different version. There was a time when LDD worked on this PC in the past? Or it newer worked properly?

Calabar, LDD never worked properly on this laptop.

I have another Lenovo laptop from a slight older model and the same OS installation (Windows 10 Creators Update) and it works OK there.

I have the latest Lenovo updates for the video card drivers... I could try to uninstall and find an older version, or maybe Intel has a newer version that is not officially adopted by Lenovo. I could try that also. But I am not 100 % positive that I want start messing around with these drivers since LDD is not the main purpose of this laptop...

Hi,

I am happy to report that the problem was indeed related to the Intel Graphics card drivers.

I just updated the latest Lenovo updates, including a new version of the graphics driver and now the LDD works fine.

Thanks for everyone that tried to help.

If you are just wondering, I now have a driver with the following details:

Driver Date: 24/07/2017

Driver Version: 22.20.16.4749