Here's my latest WIP, the Ram 1500. This is mostly based on my desire to do a vehicle with 8 speeds. Ram 1500 has an 8-speed transmission in reality.

The model has several functions in place already:

-Steering

-Drive (4x4)

-Suspension (Front has positive caster angle, rear live axle)

-8 speed transmission with 90-degree shift (Not done yet)

Here's a picture:

IMG_2019

Drive is with 1 xl motor right now, but it will be changed to 2 as 1 does not have enough torque for gears 6, 7, and 8.

Steering is with 1 m motor.

IMG_2020

The front suspension has a positive Caster angle. It was built by angling the suspension beams and securing them to the chassis.

IMG_2021

The rear axle is incredibly weak right now. PLEASE LEAVE A SUGGESTION FOR OW I CAN IMPROVE IT.

IMG_2022

Here's the gearbox up close. The entire section of the chassis is extremely dense, but the is no gear slipping when driving.

Please leave a suggestion, and I will update the thread soon! Thanks for your attention.

BrickbyBrickTechnic 

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic

Wow! That's an impressive gearbox! I would love to see some closeups/cutouts of the details.

As for strength, I see that most other builders have success using a lot of the gray box frame parts in order to make a tough chassis. This might help you a lot since you have this issue. I suppose other members can share their experience with how to best construct such frames (I don't have much experience in this regard).

Just now, Lasse D said:

Wow! That's an impressive gearbox! I would love to see some closeups/cutouts of the details.

As for strength, I see that most other builders have success using a lot of the gray box frame parts in order to make a tough chassis. This might help you a lot since you have this issue. I suppose other members can share their experience with how to best construct such frames (I don't have much experience in this regard).

Thanks a lot! There's just 1 problem, and that's that I don't have many frames, and ordering doesn't come easy around here :) I'll certainly see what I can do, and provide more pics :)

1. I see you used an illegal connection on front (angled liftarms) what makes that part of chassis to flex up. better find another solution , like making offset between top wishbone and lover wishbone. (so both aren't on same vertical axis) - see video below-

2. You steering links aren't pararell to the suspension wishbones , what will cause toe-in.  -see video below-

3. Rotate the rear hubs 90 degrees (so the pinholes are on horizontal axis) , that will make for much stiffer axle

I recommend you to watch Nicjasno's LPEpower series 

Edited by LXF

LXFnice constructive answer!

I personally like the quality of the WIP photos..

Nice start, I'll follow the topic as I also have plans to build a Ram at some point :) I'm curious how will you make the body.

On 6/20/2017 at 3:21 PM, kbalage said:

Nice start, I'll follow the topic as I also have plans to build a Ram at some point :) I'm curious how will you make the body.

So am I :)

On 6/20/2017 at 1:48 PM, LXF said:

1. I see you used an illegal connection on front (angled liftarms) what makes that part of chassis to flex up. better find another solution , like making offset between top wishbone and lover wishbone. (so both aren't on same vertical axis) - see video below-

2. You steering links aren't pararell to the suspension wishbones , what will cause toe-in.  -see video below-

3. Rotate the rear hubs 90 degrees (so the pinholes are on horizontal axis) , that will make for much stiffer axle

I recommend you to watch Nicjasno's LPEpower series

You're right, there is definitely some toe-in. These videos will come in handy, thank you!

Edited by Milan
Please don't quote whole block of images and text.

I made a LDD model of an example of a stronger axle: (beams are in different colours for clarity)

640x334.jpg

But don't forget to add the other parts you already have made :laugh:.

Edited by mocbuild101

UPDATE TIME!

The chassis is almost, almost complete (the only modification necessary now is the toe-in). Here are some pictures and a list of mods:

-Front suspension has 2 soft shocks now (had 1 hard one before)

-2xl motors power this beast instead of one allowing drive on all gears but gear 8

-rear axle rebuilt (thanks @mocbuild101 for your idea... this axle is based on it)

-shifting mech finalized

IMG_2030IMG_2029IMG_2028IMG_2027IMG_2025

Thanks for tuning in! Exams are done so progress time is NOW!

BrickbyBrickTechnic

14 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

the only modification necessary now is the toe-in

When you update the steering setup, please also take into account that slanted steering rods make your steering very sensitive to bumps. See this video.

14 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

When you update the steering setup, please also take into account that slanted steering rods make your steering very sensitive to bumps. See this video.

Thanks! I'm getting to this now, so that issue will be addressed.

Modifications have been made. The steering has been modified, but I'm not too sure about the new solution. Bodywork has been added.

IMG_2032IMG_2033IMG_2034IMG_2035IMG_2031

PLEASE GIVE ME TIPS. The model will be done around Thursday of next week.

Thank you.

I'd suggest to review the hood-cabin-bed proportions, they are far from the real one. The wheels are also way too big but I assume it can be a jacked up Ram :)

2014_ram_1500_sideview.jpg

3 minutes ago, kbalage said:

I'd suggest to review the hood-cabin-bed proportions, they are far from the real one. The wheels are also way too big but I assume it can be a jacked up Ram :)

2014_ram_1500_sideview.jpg

It is, in fact, a jacked-up ram :) You're completely right about the proportion, and the hood needs reworking to as it is crude. Thanks a lot @kbalage !

I like the chassis very much but not the body, sorry.

Body itself is well enought but no similarities with the RAM.
Have you printed the blueprints of the real model?
It looks like even the wheelbase is too short compare to the real model.

Am I'm wrong?

Edited by Aleh

3 hours ago, Aleh said:

I like the chassis very much but not the body, sorry.

Body itself is well enought but no similarities with the RAM.
Have you printed the blueprints of the real model?
It looks like even the wheelbase is too short compare to the real model.

Am I'm wrong?

Thanks for your comments. The body has been much changed since the pictures shown above. I will post them in today and you can see again how close/far it is from the ram.

13 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Thanks for your comments. The body has been much changed since the pictures shown above. I will post them in today and you can see again how close/far it is from the ram.

Sure, I'm waiting with interest for the update because I like American pickups.

The final update!

That's right! The model is basically done! Any edits you would like to see should be put on this topic within the next 48 hours. Here are the pictures!

IMG_2053IMG_2055IMG_2054IMG_2056

Thanks everyone for your help and attention!

BrickbyBrickTechnic

Nice photos! Front is looking like the real Dodge!
Try to add some grill maybe?