Sign in to follow this  
icm

[MOC] A prehistoric headhunter

[MOC] A prehistoric headhunter - posted Friday, November 16, 2018

1986: After successfully concluding his experimental space opera trilogy with Return of the Jedi, George Lucas feels like he has more stories to tell in the universe he has created - so many stories that he decides to launch a Saturday morning cartoon filmed in cutting-edge Supermarionation, with real miniatures and real explosions every week, and real clothing on real puppets!  He's so excited to tell the heroic exploits of Anakin Skywalker before he turned to evil that he orders the first five episodes of his new series edited into a theatrical movie, but the writing and editing of his first foray into television is so bad that the movie flops at the box office.  Nevertheless, Lego develops the spaceships in the movie and TV series into a sustainable source of revenue for several years, expanding its bestselling Star Wars line of toys with ships from the Clone Wars.  By the turn of the century, though, Lego decides that the violence in Star Wars is incompatible with its corporate values, and the company abruptly drops the Star Wars line.  The resources thus freed are invested in developing a line of space toys independent of any third-party entertainment property.  Over the next two decades, financial needs occasionally force Lego to release a small wave of Star Wars kits to prop up its other lines, but adult fans of Lego continue to lament the loss of the Classic Star Wars line and the absence of a continuing Star Wars theme.

That's the silly story - here's the real story:  There's no time to lose with grad school applications, but I've been too nervous about the future to concentrate on those very applications.  Having bought 75004 while browsing eBay in a state of depression (don't do that), I built this in Studio tonight to calm my nerves.  Maybe I'll even build it someday, along with the Classic Space-style T-65 X-wing I built a few months ago.  Maybe I'll work on my grad school applications tomorrow! Maybe, maybe, maybe.

classic clone z-95 with classic x-wing

classic clone z-95 3

classic clone z-95 2

classic clone z-95 1

Archived content in quote below: [MOC] An excess X-wing - posted Thursday, October 4, 2018

[MOC] An excess X-wing - posted Thursday, October 4, 2018

X-wing builds are a great way to track the progress of Lego construction techniques and parts palettes, since Lego fans of all ages have been building them since the Classic Space sets came out in 1978.  Inspired by the recent Jerac build and by Inthert's X-wing V2, I looked through various image hosting websites to find the best minifig-scale X-wings of various classes that I distinguish as follows:

Generation:

1. Pre-set; uses finger hinges, 8x4 wedge plates, and Town canopies.
  2. Early Star Wars: uses click hinges and Star Wars canopies.
  3. First Star Wars remakes: wings use mounting style and rubber bands like official sets 4502/6212, 9493, 75218; generally uses Star Wars canopies
  4. Post-Psiaki: wings use center pivot with no gearbox; a wide variety of canopy styles
  5. Post-Inthert v2: wings use center pivot with gearbox; a wide variety of canopy styles

Style:

• Set style: Main goals are sturdiness, simplicity, and play features; maybe slightly more refined shape than set
  • Set mods: Main goals are improving the shape of the set and adding desired play features or removing disliked play features
  • Fully custom: Main goals are accuracy of shape and proportion, but often includes features that the set doesn't have, like fully retractable landing gear

Size:

• Small: No rigorous "scale model" is attempted; it just has to "work" with a minifig.  Most gen 1 and gen 2 builds are "small."  One or two gen 4 builds are as well.
  • Medium: A rigorous "scale model" at an approximate scale of 1 stud = 1.2 feet.  Some gen 2 builds; nearly all gen 3 and gen 4 builds; most gen 5 builds.
  • Large: A rigorous "scale model" at an approximate scale of 1 stud = 1 foot.  Examples include Dmac and Atlas, plus a couple more on Flickr whose names I don't recall at the moment.

This build is a gen 1 fully custom small X-wing inspired by the childhood makeshift X-wing of Dan Nelson on Brickshelf.  The idea is to be the best "small" custom X-wing possible using parts available to AFOLs prior to 1999.  Features retractable forward landing gear and a cargo bay with belly hatch and cockpit access via a folding seat.  Maybe I'll build it once I have enough builds lined up on Bricklink to make the price per part, including shipping, comparable with retail sets (8-12 cents per piece).  Thanks for looking; hope you get a kick out of this little build.

As always, more pictures are posted on Flickr.

danNelsonT65_open

Archived content in quote below: [MOC] Naboo Courier - posted Friday, September 7, 2018

[MOC] Naboo Courier - posted Friday, September 7, 2018

Tonight's free build to pass the time while my code is running is a rebuild from memory of my favorite alt build from childhood.  When my brother got 7140 for his birthday and I got 7141 for mine, I was jealous because the X-wing was (and is) so much cooler than the Naboo Fighter.  In the end I was happier with my set, though, because it was so much easier to rebuild into other models.  I drew instructions for at least three separate alt builds of 7141, but I don't recall that my brother ever got a satisfactory alt build out of 7140.  This ship is a fast courier used by Theed Palace security forces to transport urgent messages and light cargo to the front lines.  As a child, I always had it carry the two battle droids that came with the kit. 

naboo courier 7141

Archived content in quote below: [MOC/WIP] TIE/ln, ca. 1983 - posted September 2, 2018

[MOC/WIP] TIE/ln, ca. 1983 - posted September 2, 2018

This build goes with the retro X-wing posted a month ago and is also inspired by childhood makeshifts, in this case a makeshift TIE fighter that used an Aquazone canopy.  Again, the big idea is "What if Lego got the Star Wars license in 1983 instead of 1999?"  The TIE fighter in the first kit (#7146, released in 2000) used 5 molds unavailable in 1998, so this uses 5 molds unavailable in 1982:  the canopy, canopy frame, 6x6 dish, 1x4 hinge plate, and 2x2 modified plate with Technic pin.  Can anyone point me to existing pre-1999 MOCs of TIE fighters?

classic tie fighter frontclassic tie fighter front profileclassic tie fighter rear profileclassic tie fighter side profile

Archived content in quote below: [MOC/WIP] T-65, ca. 1983 - posted August 1, 2018

[MOC/WIP] T-65, ca. 1983 - posted August 1, 2018

My big brother got the first X-wing kit for his birthday and I got the lame old Naboo Fighter.  I was so jealous.  I built a makeshift X-wing using a wing from a scrapped biplane kit to form the nose, but I only had enough hinges for the top two wings and they were old finger hinges, so they flopped around all the time.  Plus, I only had a car windshield to use for the canopy.  So lame...but five years later I won the race to get the second X-wing kit, thus restoring space superiority to my side of the living room.  My brother and I have maintained X-wing parity ever since.

This build started as an attempt to remember how that little old makeshift X-wing was built, but it ended up as an answer to the question "What if Lego had got the Star Wars license in 1983, to coincide with the release of Return of the Jedi?"  Since the 1999 kit used a lot of new molds, I've allowed myself to use a few parts that weren't released until after 1983, like the wedge plate that forms the nose (the same one I used in my childhood build), the lightsaber handle and Rebel pilot helmet, and a couple of others I can't recall at the moment.  However, I've kept all parts in the X-wing itself authentic to the Classic Space era, except maybe in the colors.  

Building this, I see why Lego had to invent so many new pieces for the 1999 Star Wars line.  In kit 7140 alone, there are 11 new molds - the Rebel helmet, the lightsaber handle, R2-D2's head, R2-D2's body, R2-D2's legs, the engine cylinders, the wings, the canopy, the laser guns, the male click hinge bricks, the female click hinge bricks.  Without the astromech parts, it's surprisingly hard to build an astromech droid from 1980s-era parts that looks right and has moving legs.  (I gave up on the legs).  Without the click hinges, the wings will flop around all the time, and it's hard to build in movable stops and shims that will keep them locked at the right angle when open and closed.  (I haven't figured out how to keep the wings closed yet.)  Without the engine cylinders, it's hard to build an engine that looks right without using a lot of parts.  Without the large wing plates, a wing must be built up from the old small wedge plates just like the wings of modern X-wings must be built up, and that uses a lot of parts.  Altogether this uses more parts than 7140, even though it's much smaller.

I vaguely remember seeing a gallery on FBTB.net about fifteen years ago that showed pictures of X-wing MOCs built before the first Star Wars sets came out, but I can't find any pictures of MOCs like that anymore.  Can anyone point me to something like that?  That would be a big help with the wing hinges.  If I can get those figured out, I think I'll get a used copy of 7140, build this one in physical bricks, and let Biggs fly it.

OK, enough talk:  here's a screen grab from Stud.io:

classic x-wing

Archived content in quote below: [MOD] T-70, ca. 1999 - posted June 19, 2017

[MOD] T-70, ca. 1999 - posted June 19, 2017

There are dozens of extremely impressive T-70 models online that I would like to build, if I had the parts.  However, I only have sufficient parts to wonder what the T-70 X-wing sets would look like if George Lucas had made The Force Awakens in 1999 instead of The Phantom Menace.  This is a stock 7140 fuselage with modified wings that only use parts available in 1999, except for the wedge plates.  (Lego cast new wings for Star Wars in 1999, so they would have cast the 12x3 wedge plates then if a T-70 had required them, methinks.)  I still need to learn to order parts off Bricklink to coordinate colors.  Has anyone else built a better 1999/T-70?  I'd love to see one.

(Wings open)

7140/T-70 - wings open, front view

(Top)

7140/T-70 - dorsal detail

(Engine detail)

7140/T-70 - engine detail

Edited by icm
Added content to first post.

Wow, great job replicating the vintage look. Not my style at all, but I can see you really nailed the concept you were going for. Classic, blocky LEGO. I still have my old school Sith Infiltrator on the shelf. :laugh:

BUMP:  This topic was started for a T-70 model built in the style of the 1999 T-65.  I added a T-65 model built in the style of 1983 Space sets to the first post.  Can anyone please point me to pictures of X-wing models and other Star Wars MOCs built BEFORE Lego obtained the Star Wars license?  Preferably in the period 1983-1987.  Thanks.

EDIT:

Here's a Brickshelf gallery by errbt with 1980s Star Wars creations, but there are no pictures of the X-wing hinges.

Here's another by podracerHH, but it must be built after 1999, because it has early SW minifigs and click hinges.

One by krize.  Again, no good pictures of the hinges.

Does anyone know of any others?

Edited by icm
Added links to Brickshelf galleries.

Although it might not look much, but you have done an excellent job in replicating the vintage look of the x wing

@JarJarBonks: Thanks for your comment.  I've updated the first post with tonight's build: a TIE fighter built in the same style.

@Forresto - Thanks for your kind words!  I sure hope I can show you the ship in real bricks sometime.  In the meantime, I've updated the first post with tonight's build.

BUMP:

X-wing builds are a great way to track the progress of Lego construction techniques and parts palettes, since Lego fans of all ages have been building them since the Classic Space sets came out in 1978.  Inspired by the recent Jerac build and by Inthert's X-wing V2, I looked through various image hosting websites to find the best minifig-scale X-wings of various classes that I distinguish as follows:

Generation:

1. Pre-set; uses finger hinges, 8x4 wedge plates, and Town canopies.
  2. Early Star Wars: uses click hinges and Star Wars canopies.
  3. First Star Wars remakes: wings use mounting style and rubber bands like official sets 4502/6212, 9493, 75218; generally uses Star Wars canopies
  4. Post-Psiaki: wings use center pivot with no gearbox; a wide variety of canopy styles
  5. Post-Inthert v2: wings use center pivot with gearbox; a wide variety of canopy styles

Style:

• Set style: Main goals are sturdiness, simplicity, and play features; maybe slightly more refined shape than set
  • Set mods: Main goals are improving the shape of the set and adding desired play features or removing disliked play features
  • Fully custom: Main goals are accuracy of shape and proportion, but often includes features that the set doesn't have, like fully retractable landing gear

Size:

• Small: No rigorous "scale model" is attempted; it just has to "work" with a minifig.  Most gen 1 and gen 2 builds are "small."  One or two gen 4 builds are as well.
  • Medium: A rigorous "scale model" at an approximate scale of 1 stud = 1.2 feet.  Some gen 2 builds; nearly all gen 3 and gen 4 builds; most gen 5 builds.
  • Large: A rigorous "scale model" at an approximate scale of 1 stud = 1 foot.  Examples include Dmac and Atlas, plus a couple more on Flickr whose names I don't recall at the moment.

This build is a gen 1 fully custom small X-wing inspired by the childhood makeshift X-wing of Dan Nelson on Brickshelf.  The idea is to be the best "small" custom X-wing possible using parts available to AFOLs prior to 1999.  Features retractable forward landing gear and a cargo bay with belly hatch and cockpit access via a folding seat.  Maybe I'll build it once I have enough builds lined up on Bricklink to make the price per part, including shipping, comparable with retail sets (8-12 cents per piece).  Thanks for looking; hope you get a kick out of this little build.  Pictures in first post.

[MOC] A prehistoric headhunter - posted Friday, October 16, 2018

1986: After successfully concluding his experimental space opera trilogy with Return of the Jedi, George Lucas feels like he has more stories to tell in the universe he has created - so many stories that he decides to launch a Saturday morning cartoon filmed in cutting-edge Supermarionation, with real miniatures and real explosions every week, and real clothing on real puppets!  He's so excited to tell the heroic exploits of Anakin Skywalker before he turned to evil that he orders the first five episodes of his new series edited into a theatrical movie, but the writing and editing of his first foray into television is so bad that the movie flops at the box office.  Nevertheless, Lego develops the spaceships in the movie and TV series into a sustainable source of revenue for several years, expanding its bestselling Star Wars line of toys with ships from the Clone Wars.  By the turn of the century, though, Lego decides that the violence in Star Wars is incompatible with its corporate values, and the company abruptly drops the Star Wars line.  The resources thus freed are invested in developing a line of space toys independent of any third-party entertainment property.  Over the next two decades, financial needs occasionally force Lego to release a small wave of Star Wars kits to prop up its other lines, but adult fans of Lego continue to lament the loss of the Classic Star Wars line and the absence of a continuing Star Wars theme.

That's the silly story - here's the real story:  There's no time to lose with grad school applications, but I've been too nervous about the future to concentrate on those very applications.  Having bought 75004 while browsing eBay in a state of depression (don't do that), I built this in Studio tonight to calm my nerves.  Maybe I'll even build it someday, along with the Classic Space-style T-65 X-wing I built a few months ago.  Maybe I'll work on my grad school applications tomorrow! Maybe, maybe, maybe.

classic clone z-95 with classic x-wing

classic clone z-95 3

classic clone z-95 2

classic clone z-95 1

On 11/17/2018 at 5:14 PM, icm said:

[MOC] A prehistoric headhunter - posted Friday, October 16, 2018

Wouldn't a fully closed cockpit make more sense, or did that piece not exist at that time?

@Reaper, thanks for your reply.  The clone Z-95 has a rounded bubble cockpit like the Naboo fighter, but rounded cockpit parts were only introduced in 1999.  I think an open cockpit with a short auto windshield is a decent approximation of the sporty look of the bubble cockpit, and it contrasts with the wedge-shaped canopy used in the retro X-wing model.  It doesn't look out of place for the time period either, since many Classic Space kits of about that size have open cockpits.

@supertruper1988, I just post screen grabs from Studio.  I don't have enough patience to get renders that look good, and the view from the build window does a fair job of showing off the build anyway.