KotZ

Heroica RPG - Quest #158: Color Me Shocked

5 hours ago, MysticModulus said:

"Actually there are a number of herbs that would do the trick, a sprouting of Wicked Maidensbell would do the trick nicely making their stomachs turn inside out and cause hallucinations. Shall I give it a go?"

"Awesome!  I think you should - no one dies and we make this a swift job!"

He then turns to the rest of the heroes.  "What do you guys think?"

2 hours ago, Goliath said:

"Awesome!  I think you should - no one dies and we make this a swift job!"

"I guess if we can avoid any deaths it is a good thing." I say reluctantly.

"I suppose I could use that Paladin's Armour"

On 7/20/2017 at 1:50 PM, KotZ said:

william.png
"Before you go," the mayor adds, "check in with Rex. Luke can lead you to him. Take him these 2x smoke bombs, 1x agni bomb, and 2x confuse bombs."

Very well then, Let us find Rex and be about this Task. The last word twists on his lips, he is still not certain about this Path, but their feet had been set upon it.

He takes the Bombs.  Where is he?  Luke can you lead us to him?

On 7/20/2017 at 5:21 PM, Goliath said:

He then turns to Vindsval.  "Didn't you play around with poisons and other tonics a while back?  Are you able to make something using the local flora or... unsavory ingredients?"

My Path did lead me to a mastery of the Witchery Way.  I do not doubt that something can be arranged that would leave the members of the household feeling quite poorly, but pose to permanent damage. 

william.png
"Good luck." The mayor then quickly pulls his adopted son in for a hug. "Stay safe."

luke.png
"I will." He then looks at the others. "This way."

img_1721.jpg
Luke leads the Heroes up outside and through a back alley before climbing up onto a roof where Rex was perched.

rex.png
"There you are. I was worried you might have gotten lost," the cannoneer says. "Don't worry, no need for whispering. They can't hear us from all the way back here. Those the bombs? Thanks." He takes the bombs from Vindsval. "I've got a great view of their residence up here. Give me a signal, and I'll send a bomb in to cause some havoc. What signal for each bomb would you like?"

luke.png
"Won't they notice bombs coming in at them?"

rex.png
"Of course. So I suggest using these sparingly. If you call in for a bomb, more enemies may show up later." Rex begins organizing the bombs and inspecting them, making sure they are all intact. "Stealth is probably the best option. I'm an option as well, I just suggest being your last option."

Matthias, tired of the preliminaries, is ready for a situation report"You say you've got a good view; what are the biggest dangers you see?"

22 minutes ago, StickFig said:

Matthias, tired of the preliminaries, is ready for a situation report"You say you've got a good view; what are the biggest dangers you see?"

rex.png
"The place is well guarded. Guards don't check on the garden often, it's mainly servants, but there's quite a few of them. The people guarding the place are well armed. I've seen some mages, but most seem to be heavily armed soldiers. The front door is massive, and it looks solid. Fighting your way through the front might not be an option, unless you can somehow keep that door open and charge through. City guards also patrol the area frequently."

"I am under the impression that the city guards will be ...sympathetic, if not outright supportive, should we come to blows with the Dens," Matthias replies. "Is that not correct?"

rex.png
"Absolutely, especially on the streets." Rex sets the bombs down, satisfied with the items. "Some may turn to ourside if coerced or paid off, but don't expect too many. Once you're inside the house though, the guards might come in, they might not. I've seen commanders enter, but the normal grunts don't."

rex.png
"Grunts. You know, the cannonfodder you people just fight your way through. The normal guys nobody thinks about."

"Oh, yes of course." I say importantly, but not confidently. "It's sad that somebody would live a life with nobody thinking about them."

"Shall we head to the front door, then? Or the cistern?"

On 7/24/2017 at 1:56 PM, KotZ said:

william.png
"Good luck." The mayor then quickly pulls his adopted son in for a hug. "Stay safe."

luke.png
"I will." He then looks at the others. "This way."

img_1721.jpg
Luke leads the Heroes up outside and through a back alley before climbing up onto a roof where Rex was perched.

rex.png
"There you are. I was worried you might have gotten lost," the cannoneer says. "Don't worry, no need for whispering. They can't hear us from all the way back here. Those the bombs? Thanks." He takes the bombs from Vindsval. "I've got a great view of their residence up here. Give me a signal, and I'll send a bomb in to cause some havoc. What signal for each bomb would you like?"

luke.png
"Won't they notice bombs coming in at them?"

rex.png
"Of course. So I suggest using these sparingly. If you call in for a bomb, more enemies may show up later." Rex begins organizing the bombs and inspecting them, making sure they are all intact. "Stealth is probably the best option. I'm an option as well, I just suggest being your last option."

Vindsval grins, hoping this man's eyes are as good as he says.  He holds up his enormous metal hand.

One finger for smoke

Two fingers for Agni

A fist for confused.

He demonstrates each motion in turn.
Will that do for signals my friend?

9 hours ago, StickFig said:

"Shall we head to the front door, then? Or the cistern?"

If our plan is to weaken as many as possible we should go to the cistern first, then to the front door.

rex.png
"Works for me, I'll be able to see from here."

galedo.png
"I guess it's my turn," Galedo mumbles. He then leads the party to the compound. Once they get there, he orders everyone to stay put for a moment. The servant disappears inside the garden. A few minutes pass, and then Galedo returns. "Alright, it's all clear, come in."

img_1726.jpg

galedo.png
"Here is the cistern you can pour toxins in. It won't get everyone, not the Dens. They only drink win, and they bathe in the early mornings. But the poisons will certainly affect a good amount of the guards. What poisons would you like to use?"

Vindsval removes the Scroll of Poison from its case, opens it gently and begins to recite the well known phrases in the spell.  Nothing happens.  He tries several more times, growing more frustrated with each repetition.  With one last failure he returns the scroll to its case and clenches his fist. 

It would seem that now as I am his blade I may no longer touch the ether.  I have more than enough vials of poison to taint this well.  He removes several vials of venom and deadly venom from his pouches and sets them on the rim of the cistern.  He then draws his wrath lance.  Or perhaps I could stir the pot with this.  I believe its power would be enough to disable those within.

Feeling a little sick, I wonder if it's the smell of the toxic venoms and shift a short distance away, idly casting my eyes between the ground and my sword.

The giant looks around and sees his companions shy away from the action that was chosen for their Path.  He turns to them.

I believe you all fail to see the motive and benefit behind this.  Our apparent quarrel is with the Den's themselves.  If this cistern feeds only those who serve the Den, then they will be the ones effected yes?  They will be the ones who fall ill and are forced to stay to their beds, removing them from the battle to come.  We have already killed those whose only wrongdoing was being paid by those who we in turn have been paid to stop.  If those innocents are temporarily taken from the situation to come they will not be on hand to die in order for us to reach the end of our Path.  Would you prefer that their hirelings be at full strength?  Would you rather cut down a field of those who are but providing for themselves and families?  Or would you prefer they be sick in their beds that we may take our fight to those who would subjugate this land?  Our fight is with the head of this, not with those who controls through contract.  This action, this use of the Witchery Way, allows us to remove them from the fight that we may lay on with those who deserve our wrath.

He takes a firmer grasp on the Wrath Lance and prepares to dip its permanently poisoned length into the water.

If you see another way to remove the common people from this fight speak it now, otherwise let us finish with this and put them to their beds, rather than to their deaths.

Addok-Zo nods in agreement to Vindsval.  "No, I completely agree with you here.  You can't take down a giant without crippling the legs first.  We should utilize all advantages as possible."

Matthias stands by, uncharacteristically unsure of the "right" path, but just wanting to get the whole distasteful business behind him.

Vindsval looks down at the crippling giants crack but lets it pass.

This should do what we need.

Vindsval grasps the Lance by its base and lowers its length, tainted tip first,  into the palace watersource.

"If the Den's are really as evil as we have been led to believe, I don't think they will be letting people rest in their beds. Instead, we will be fighting a weakened people who have no chance of defending themselves," I pause. "It's not nice being the aggressor. It feels so...wrong."

galedo.png
"You're right, Petaldan, the Dens will certainly make them fight us, it's their way. Shall we go parley or sneak in hoping to avoid guards?"

Matthias shrugs, beginning to weary of the kid's unsettling uncertainty and hoping that Half-Born's previous experience in the area leads the vindicator to the correct plan.