dr_spock

Sea Rats: Sign-up and Discussion, ERA II

Avast ye salty seadogs ! Here is my introduction post to join the Sea Rats!

"It is the twelfth of June, 618. Lothario and Jacobo finally found the last half-brother their father had mentioned once: Alfie.

Lothario was the oldest of the bunch and was the one who had a lot of sailing experience. He was the privileged brother to really have known their common parent: the infamous buccaneer Christopher Fraunces. He took Lothario when he received a letter from his dying mother in Quilbignon. Together with his son and crew they raided the Sea of Storms as true Sea Rats. His father never believed in kingdoms, settling or earthly belongings. His decisive personality led the crew of their ship "the Silent Rose" to gold, pleasure and fame until Christophers' sudden disappearance in a night sailing the Terraversa Sea. The crew looked for their captain but found only a half written journal in his cabins without clues, and quickly voted in a new captain. Lothario left his father's crew after arrival in Terraversa, he was the only one who could not forget his father and mentor Christopher. His only clue was the stories he told him about his beloved girls who gave birth to two other sons across the nations. And so he went looking. 

Jacobo, born in Terelli, only saw his famous father a couple of times when he was a kid. Jacobo grew up to be a natural salesman from a young age, buying valuable lost items in the harbours taverns and brothels to sell them with profit whenever he could, building up a small treasure himself. With this treasure he bought himself a passage to the new world where he quickly found his love for Eslandolan escapades and ended up on an exploring warship sailing from the colonies to the capital. Upon his return in Terelli he heard an Oleon sailor with his same last name was searching for his mother in Terreli, and he hurried to find his mother. His mother was unharmed, and after the siesta someone knocked on the door. It was Lothario, who told him he was one of his brothers. The two had a lot of catching up to do: Lothario told Jacobo about their father and why he chose to life his life like a Sea Rat. Lothario convinced Jacobo that night to forge an unbreakable brotherhood and to find their other brother to make their own destiny like their before them father did. It took the two a long time before they finnaly found where Alfie had settled.

Alfie was raised in Arlinsport. His mother left him in a monastery, where he learned he needed to take care for himself very early. He was a fighter and gifted card player, which earned him quite the reputation and even won him his own pub in Breshaun: the Matelot Tavern. 

Matelot Tavern (Breshaun)

On the twelfth of June he played cards against a merchants' captain in his tavern in Breshaun. His opponents' unsportsmanlike refusal to hand over an alleged Ivo Fortesque map he lost in a card game against Alfie was quickly handled. Alfie was not the guy to let the liar get away. At this moment his two brothers walked in his tavern and saw how the scourge was thrown out through the door they just entered. They stood directly in front of their younger brother. After a quick explanation they sat down in the corner table. 

Introduction post Sea Rats Fraunces

With Lothario explaining and convincing the last brother, also Jacobo became enthusiastic and together they convinced Alfie to join their bond. The three decided to roam the Brick Seas like their father did, with the hopes of glory, gold and a free life. Their first adventure would start with Alfie's Fortesque map. Now they only needed a ship."

Introduction post 2

OOC: Aye me hearties. Happy to join the Sea Rats with my sigfig Lothario Fraunces and his two brothers (first secondairy characters, operate together). In this pic their personalities are summed up:

Intro Characters

I love BotBS because it can give me the opportunity to learn new building techniques and improve my style. I currently work on nostalgia and old LEGOs so I hope you can forgive me for the dust and the old bricks. I also have some questions:

- Can I license three buildings now to start with the economic game as well, even if two of those are in Breshaun, no Sea Rat territory?

- Can I license only a class 2 ship in the beginning?

Thank you in advance.

Greetings,

Fraunces

Edited by Fraunces

@Fraunces

First off welcome to the rats mate

Love the builds ... As if you picked pieces out of my own bins lol

If you have the Dbs then you can licence what ever whereever (less the settlement says otherwise)  to start off it would be cheaper to licence in sea rat settlements.

You are limited to three properties a month 

Its easiest to start with your free class 2 ship then licence others when you get more Dbs

@MKJoshA

Can we get him(or her) added to the planning threads?

Edited by Roadmonkeytj

Welcome!

As Roadmonkeytj said you can license almost everywhere.

But first register your builds. Via the form.

All forms are listed in the master index: 

You should get a starting bonus and some db's (bobs currency) for every build. 

With that cash income you should have enough to license at least two this month and get an income the next.

But I think every build will require its own thread. 

You can have any size ship you want, if you can pay the license. You just get a class 1 or 2 for free. But you do need to build it.

(Eventhough Im playing this game for quit a while and have a class 6 sailing around I havent used my free class 2 yet. For the simple reason I never have build something that size.)

Again welcome to the searats!

Edited by Bart

Welcome to the Fraunces brothers. A very nice intro, sir.

Nice builds and nice pictures too, all serving to help tell your interesting story.

As to your questions:

• I just checked the Breshaun settlement topic, and everyone can license builds there.
  • You get 25 dbs just for signing up. I would suggest posting your intro story (and build(s)) in a separate topic and registering it as a freebuild for another 10 dbs. That will also allow you to license it as a property (if you can afford it).
  • As a new member, you have 1 free small property license, so if you build a 16x16 property, you can license it and start getting some income at no cost.
  • Further, you have a free class 1 or 2 vessel which can be used as soon you have built and licensed it. A small merchant ship is typically a good way to make money, although there is the opportunity for a larger reward in piracy - although it is more risky.
  • If you are in need of funds, perhaps someone in your faction will be willing to lend a hand with a small loan, or for some service (eg. a build). Personally, I prefer working my way up for a challenge, but a small helping hand may be useful. (There is also the Bank of Corrington for loans.)
  • Throughout the Brick Seas, you will find different building incentives that may offer a payout, which can be a good way to make some starting funds.

Welcome to the Brick Seas - If it all looks overwhelming, you can always ask - we are a very helpful bunch.:)

12 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

@Fraunces

First off welcome to the rats mate

Love the builds ... As if you picked pieces out of my own bins lol

Thanks mate. I am in the planning threads now as well. Thanks @Roadmonkeytj & @MKJoshA.

10 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Welcome comrade, nice introducing built, and interesting story.

The rats welcome the three brothers :pir-sweet:

Thanks mate, I hoped you guys would like it.

10 hours ago, Bart said:

Again welcome to the searats!

Thanks Bart, I did a lot of read up and understand it now. Thank you, also @Bregir thanks for the reply and the links inside your comment :D

15th day of the 6th month, 618

Mesabi Landing, Argentia

To the Fraunces brothers of the honourable Sea Rats nation,

with great interest has the Wayfarer Trading Company noted your arrival in the Brick Seas. Wishing to help you with your start into your new adventures, we want to offer you one of the following:

• a grant of 100DB, without conditions attached
  • a grant of 200DB, under the condition that at least 100DB are used on property licenses in the settlement of Mesabi Landing over the course of the next three months (no conditions for the other 100DB)

Either way, we would be glad to see any of you in Mesabi Landing, a safe haven for those seeking adventures and profits from all nations.

In the hope for good cooperation, with kind regards,

Kadeus Mordo, WTC

============================

@Fraunces: If you are interested in this offer, please contact me via PM. :classic:

Can it be explained to me why @Bregir and some Corrington members seem obligated to try to influence a new Sea Rat player whenever they appear?  I thought we had dealt with this before, but obviously a fair sense of play seems beyond some.

To be blunt: take your Bank of Corrington and Mesabi Fabuland, and keep them in your own faction's thread.  It is hard enough for new player's to find their footing in this game already without dealing with this conniving garbage.

I think every player can makes his/her own decisions. No need do be rude.

Other than that: what I do or do not with my ingame money is none of your business.

Edited by Drunknok

What about religious alternatives? Wandering Acolytes from the Crahaish neh Triuri travel the Brick Seas spreading the word of the Triuri.

1 hour ago, Kwatchi said:

Can it be explained to me why @Bregir and some Corrington members seem obligated to try to influence a new Sea Rat player whenever they appear?  I thought we had dealt with this before, but obviously a fair sense of play seems beyond some.

To be blunt: take your Bank of Corrington and Mesabi Fabuland, and keep them in your own faction's thread.  It is hard enough for new player's to find their footing in this game already without dealing with this conniving garbage.

Okay, @Kwatchi. Your constant refusal to accept that Brethren of the Brick Seas is a cooperative game involving people of other factions is becoming borderline inane. We're not trying to influence, or sway Sea Rats in any way other than to promote cooperation between the factions. @Bregir merely suggested using the Bank of Corrington. @Drunknok offered free money. We're simply trying to help.

But maybe that's not what you want. You're not a member of the brethren court, not a leader of the sea rats, simply a mayor of a settlement that currently no one but you or other sea rats can build in. Maybe what you want is for us to consider you and all your sea rat buddies as pirates, and spend the rest of our days sinking every sea rat and taking over all your settlements. But that's not what we want. We want to build new things together. I want Sea Rats to help build the University of Arlinsport as much as any other faction. I want to have my WTC visit Charlatan Bay and build more pants caves. I want the FTA to be able to visit and build for Mesabi Landing, or "Mesabi Fabuland" as you call it. And I'm sure the members of Corrington want similar things. 

As a show of goodwill, All Corrish ports are open to anyone, save black flag pirates, as is our policy set out by @Bregir. We won't be charging any tariffs or harbour fees, because Corrington wants free trade and cooperation between the factions. We don't have to do that. 

So please, check your attitude. Remember that this game is a GAME, which means multiple people play as per the definition, and it is a cooperative game. And I hope to see your builds continue to bring great stories to the brick seas. 

@Kwatchi @Drunknok @Mesabi

Cool down yo, it is just a LEGO game :rofl: you're all taking this way to serious. Just appreciate the efforts everyone is putting into this. 

But I kind a agree with the Corries here @Kwatchithey can try and help or influence players to coop in their towns. It is a free game and we Sea Rats can do the same. In the real age of sails the English also offered buccaneers and pirates all sorts of deals to make them contribute something to society :wink: I do however tend to first wait a little and prove my building skills in proper sea rat ports before sailing of to other nations' islands. 

1 hour ago, gedren_y said:

What about religious alternatives? Wandering Acolytes from the Crahaish neh Triuri travel the Brick Seas spreading the word of the Triuri.

This I do not get .. Maybe someone can provide a link? 

Maybe one will build in Mesabi Fabuland (gotta appreciate that one), maybe one will build in Bastion. Just appreciate the shared hobby we all have and keep this game great  :innocent2:

@Kwatchi

Pardon me. I did not mean to peddle the BoC, but only tried to help Frances get started with some useful links and answers to his questions. :)

@Fraunces Welcome aboard BoBS, matey! Yarrr!! Great to see some "new hands on deck."

I really like your intro. And you've done really well with the old classic parts and minifigs. Keep it up. :thumbup:

Edited by Captain Dee

16 hours ago, Bregir said:

@Kwatchi

Pardon me. I did not mean to peddle the BoC, but only tried to help Frances get started with some useful links and answers to his questions. :)

Bregir, I hope we can meet each other one day so we can throw a beer in each others face and then settle down to enjoy a few more together.   Apology graciously accepted. 

Now stop being helpful to SR. :pir-grin:

11 minutes ago, Kwatchi said:

Now stop being helpful to SR. :pir-grin:

*throws beer to face* :pir-wink:

Stop the alcohol abuse will you! Barbarians... 

18 minutes ago, Bart said:

Stop the alcohol abuse will you!

No, never stop! Skål!

Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

Let it be known that the new major of Charlatan Bay Gustaf VonBricktin has officially reopened the Port to any and all Sea Rat vessels.  All others should Anchor in the Bay and wait to be boarded before being allowed to make port. Any ship failing to do so will be seen as hostile and fired upon, survivors will be detained.

(please pm @Roadmonkeytj for permission to make port if nonSea Rat)

Edited by Roadmonkeytj

We tend not to update much here (being a sneaky and dastardly lot), but us hardy few have been pretty active behind the scenes of late doing sneaky and dastardly things.  It recently came to our attention that we had a slew of free micro-licenses dating back to our 2nd place finish in Challenge V... awarded in Jun 2017. *huh*  So we have been running with it and have held an intra-faction sort-of-competition to finally use them up; because we never doing things the straight forward way.  The first round is coming to a close and we'll be posting the results soon.  The second round will be for the remaining licenses, and we may actually need out of a couple of out-of-faction judges.  Please send me a PM if interested.