dr_spock

Sea Rats: Sign-up and Discussion, ERA II

3 minutes ago, Kwatchi said:

Please refrain from making statements for us @Bregir.  Your opinion has no bearing outside your faction on such matters, and I for one do not appreciate the meddling.

Pardon me. I should have mentioned that I was talking in terms of rules (which is how I understood the question), not potential faction policies. Apologies if it led to any misunderstandings.

I didn't specify rules nor custom in my question, because I didn't know my self either. Thank you all for the answers. 
Nice to hear Bastion is still the "capitol" as far as we SeaRats have one. Certainly my next moc will be in Bastion then, as I already pointed out in my most recent topic. the one that follows I'm still debating, building (digital) has commenced though.

Bart

1 hour ago, Bart said:

I didn't specify rules nor custom in my question, because I didn't know my self either. Thank you all for the answers. 
Nice to hear Bastion is still the "capitol" as far as we SeaRats have one. Certainly my next moc will be in Bastion then, as I already pointed out in my most recent topic. the one that follows I'm still debating, building (digital) has commenced though.

Bart

Not that I want to sway your (or anyone else's) thinking but I am still offering to cover license fees for Sea Rat players building in Haven.

1 minute ago, kaiju said:

Not that I want to sway your (or anyone else's) thinking but I am still offering to cover license fees for Sea Rat players building in Haven.

Just out of interest: would you extend that offer to the WTC?

Just now, Drunknok said:

Just out of interest: would you extend that offer to the WTC?

Most certainly not.

5 minutes ago, kaiju said:

Maybe for another creation, but for the next two (when did it come to building two at the same time o.O), Haven isn't the place . Thanks for the offer anyway!

Still coming along, got some new hull and mast sections from Ireland yesterday....

Ship MOC in progress...

Also redesigned the stern a bit....

Ship MOC in progress...Ship MOC in progress...

Now I just need more cannon.....and to figure out about my riggings....should I order more long LEGO ones or try to tie them myself....

Edited by Vedauwoo
fix images

@Vedauwoo Us Corries aren't supposed to comment, but I must say, Your ship is fantastic! Easily a class 9 warship. Here's to you finishing it!

1 hour ago, Vedauwoo said:

Still coming along, got some new hull and mast sections from Ireland yesterday....

Now I just need more cannon.....and to figure out about my riggings....should I order more long LEGO ones or try to tie them myself....

Looking good.  Making your own rigging is very time consuming but done right, it would look amazing.  If you're short on time, the LEGO ones would work just fine.

On 2/17/2018 at 1:05 PM, kaiju said:

Do you have a peticular stlye your looking for? 

4 hours ago, Vedauwoo said:

....and to figure out about my riggings....should I order more long LEGO ones or try to tie them myself....

I will say this ... Ive tried my hand at rigging shrouds ... Its a drawn out process and if your construction isnt sturdy it will be frustrating at best .... However saying that i will say this ... Youve spent this much effort and are making a hell of a ship. .. Why not go the extra mile and make it that much better with custom rigging.

48 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Do you have a peticular stlye your looking for? 

Not particularly, though everyone seemed to think the spooky, foreboding and possibly evil look of the lighthouse I built a good fit for the town. 

8 hours ago, Vedauwoo said:

This is already looking very good!

Although, for your own development, I would recommend trying the rigging yourself. I know there is this MRCA deadline in a few days, but please don't let the beauty of your vessel depend on this.

I know what I am talking about because I am working on my Indiaman for already 1 year. Since 2 months, the body is finished, and now I am spending hours and hours for finishing it (custom rigging etc...). I already decided to not post the vessel before this months MRCA, because he isn't finished yet (although he is already way more "finished" than most of the vessels being posted in this forum).

If I am allowed to give you some feedback on your vessel: please redo your sails. They are looking way to narrow compared to the vessel. I guess you used the IFS sails as basis, but even for that ship, the sails are not realistic. And that vessels is already so much smaller than yours :)

13 hours ago, Maxim I said:

If I am allowed to give you some feedback on your vessel: please redo your sails. They are looking way to narrow compared to the vessel. I guess you used the IFS sails as basis, but even for that ship, the sails are not realistic. And that vessels is already so much smaller than yours :)

Yes, the sails are "place holders" I had on hand while I wait for parts to finish. 

@Vedauwoo This thing is huge! How many guns does she have? You are making good progress here and I can't wait to see her finished. The custom rigging has certainly better looking than the official, rigid ones, but by judging your current progress, I think you should implement some modifications on the hull if you want to tie knots.:classic: So if you are tight on time for this one, the official ones should do the job, and you can still try your hands on custom rigging next time, with a dedicated hull, i.e. with reinforced internally and attaching points on the outside.

7 minutes ago, Bart said:

Do I have to say where on Sabre Island Poppy Port is located or does the Court decide that? If I should, then I'll let dr. Anderson draw up a map of the harbour soundings and the markers. 

Bart

This is up to you (and your faction). :)

55 minutes ago, Bart said:

I'll make dr. Anderson draw a map then :)

Don't forget you can find the basic map of the island (with scale) in the hidden contents here:

Edit: Doh! I see you're well ahead of me on that. Just call me Capt Obvious today,

Raskin Bowyer never thought he’d take to the sea. Having learned the family business crafting fine bows and impeccably fletched arrows, Raskin expected that he would continue in the trade. When business began to slow as he reached his teenage years, he heeded his mother’s advice and trained to serve in the town’s defense force. Having graduated from the academy at the top of his class, Raskin expected that he was on his way to a reputable career in civil defense. Unfortunately, technological advances and budget cuts found him out of work with no prospects of gainful employment.  

27770114278_8549f18429_z.jpg

One day while walking along the seashore, Raskin came across Cap’n. No one knew Cap’n’s full story, or any name for him beyond Cap’n, but everyone knew better than to ask. He washed ashore years ago, and with his ship damaged on the rocky coast he seemed content to be left alone. Those who happened by noted Cap’n could regularly be seen reclined against his beached ship, nervously staring out to sea, as though he expected to see a fleet crossing the horizon in search of him. This day, however, he approached Raskin with a proposal. In exchange for a small sum of gold or a few gems, a bottle of rum, and help building a shelter, he’d share his knowledge of the sea with Raskin and guide him in repairing the ship. Then once the ship was seaworthy, Raskin would have the option to purchase it for use in finding his future. Raskin agreed and they set to work. The cracked hull was repaired and resealed. The ship was then repainted in what Cap’n reassured Raskin were neutral colors that wouldn’t put him at odds with anyone whom he encountered along the way.

In a few months time, the ship was repaired and Raskin, having attended to Cap’n’s instructions with the same diligence he had applied to his craft and studies, felt confident in his ability to pilot the ship. During this time, the defense forces proved that with reduced numbers, they could still deter the marauding dragon, even if they were unable to slay it. Raskin appealed to the town leaders to be reinstated, but there was “no room in the budget” and the current course of events was “good enough for government work.” So it was during the dragon’s next raid on the town that Raskin made his move.

Having said his goodbyes to his parents and gathered a few similarly disposed comrades for his crew, Raskin made his way to the entrance to the dragon’s lair, making sure to stay upwind so that the dragon wouldn’t catch wind of his scent. As the dragon took flight, Raskin stealthily crept into the cavern and quickly filled several bags with gems and other trinkets.

27770128138_db2d83ee40_z.jpg

Once his packs were crammed, Raskin carefully made his way through the woods to the ship, circling back on his path and wading in the stream along the way to make sure any scent of him that the dragon might detect would be difficult to follow. Upon reaching the dock, he paid Cap’n for the agreed upon price and stored the other treasures in the hold with the provisions that were packed for the voyage.

40747239725_cbbdbea704_z.jpg

He bade Cap’n farewell and set sail hoping to become a respectable merchant. He dreamed of returning home with a force great enough to help him slay the dragon, liberate his hometown from its terror, and claim the remainder of the dragon’s hoard for himself and his crew.

Raskin found the sailing easy and was able to carefully chart his course for the first week. As Cap’n had instructed, he headed north-northwest, and as expected he saw neither ship nor land.

41638834431_df56982bff_z.jpg

On the 8th day, however, his fortunes turned. With the skies darkening he ordered the crew to secure the ship so that it wouldn’t sustain damage or loss. The storm that enveloped the ship turned the skies black and hid the stars. As the winds swirled, Raskin had no choice but to allow the ship to be driven by the waves and force of the storm, lest he capsize trying to hold course. After three days and nights of unrelenting wind and rain, the skies cleared and Raskin and his crew found themselves adrift in a calm sea. With no winds to drive his ship and no land or ships in sight, they were grateful for the chance to rest. Night fell and brought an unfamiliar sky. While he was certain of the charts he had created before the storm, Raskin had no reference to align them to his present position. Not knowing where they were, when morning broke with a calm wind, Raskin ordered the sail be raised and they resumed their previous bearing, hoping to find one of the ports of which Cap’n had spoken.

Weeks later, land was finally spotted off the starboard bow. Upon drawing closer to the island, Raskin choose to circle the it counterclockwise. As they made their east around the island, Raskin and his crew found themselves at the port of Bastion, and not wanting to sail under any flag but their own they aligned themselves with the Sea Rats.

Welcome aboard Captain Raskin!

It was a nice intro story and look forward to seeing your ship in its entirety.  I'm also a tad envious of your idea to use Forestmen as a crew - wish I had thought of something like that 'cuz it's brilliant!  I love the implication that the crew are refugees from the Nexo Knight universe. :laugh:

One thing you'll come to love is that our faction tends to operate on fairly haphazard basis, so it may take a few days to get you added into the PMs and such.  @MKJoshA is spread pretty thin, but he'll be by eventually.

(Note that I have no problem with NK.  Maybe not in BoBS so much since we are pirates after all <<warning - personal hypocrisy detected>>...., but obviously there is a large contingent of classic castle enthusiasts that hate it with a passion as hot as the heart of a star).

Proof that other planes of existence are real, and that the teachings of the Crahaish neh Triuri are true. "We are born one hundred and thirty-five times in each of the one hundred and thirty-five planes of existence until the soul becomes one with the Triuri."

The Crahaish neh Triuri welcomes you, @bmerrill, and invites you to join the Triuri faithful in worship. There are a number of Wandering Acolytes abroad in the Brick Seas who can be sought out to introduce you to the ways of our faith.

8 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

... look forward to seeing your ship in its entirety.

If you click through one of the posted photos there are a few more photos of the ship in my Flickr stream. They’re not great, but they show the overall build. I’ll link one of them in the appropriate thread once I find the form to license it. The link I found so far indicates that the form is inactive.