dr_spock

Sea Rats: Sign-up and Discussion, ERA II

23865863962_5651146b93_o.png

The Sea Rats
Nickname: Pirates
Colors: Black, Yellow, Medium Blue

23807331916_3b818722ff_n.jpg

Quick Glance:
The Sea Rats are a rag tag group of scoundrels and rogues, who have found true freedom on the open sea. United under the common cause of self-determination, and defiance of Imperial rule, these folk heed no laws but those of the Pirate Code. (Which is really more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules, rather loose-like, you know.) These men and women are pirates, smugglers, con-men, and any kind of lawless scallywag which you can conceive of, but there are also rebel leaders, defectors from decadence, dispossessed traders and explorers, members of conquered nations, and any who find themselves disenfranchised from their societies. There are those who take advantage of the lawlessness to conduct crimes with impunity. well, actually that later category would likely count for most people.

Membership:
Sea Rats is open for members. Any man, woman, child, or what-have-you can be a sea rat! You needn't make your den in the Nest of Thieves, nor need you affiliate with other sea rats at all! We're the scourge of these seas, and swear fealty to no nation! If you'd like to captain a pirate ship and pillage and plunder, and riffle and loot the trade routes of the Empires, then join the Sea Rats! If you wish to take your crew on a roaring rampage of revenge against those nations that betrayed you, or perhaps your Quartermaster who led a mutiny against you, then join the Sea Rats! If you wish to swindle and connive, and con your way up in the world, then join the Sea Rats! If you've tired of oppressive reign of Kings and Queens and wish to make your own way in the world, then join the Sea Rats! Have adventure in your heart, a sword in your hands, and the salt wind in your hair? Then you're a Sea Rat, me hearty!

To join, just sign up in this thread with an introduction post that shows your sigfig. A little background goes a long way, so we appreciate any backstory you would like to present with the fig!

Reasons to Join:
Sea Rats have a number of unique rules that other factions don't, some which are centered specifically around player piracy (known as 'black flagging'):

1) Under the Table: Sea Rats only pay 70% of a ship license and 50% of land property costs (except mines and forts).
2) Looters: Sea Rats are always managing to scrounge up valuable bits to sell for a coin or two. Upon capture, Sea Rats receive 20 DBs per cargo point of the captured ship as loot. Players from other factions do not gain any value for a capture beyond the ship itself. This replaces previous looting rules.
3) Results Driven: The black flag pirate crews of the Sea Rats often find provisions and supplies by... alternative means. Sea Rats pay no upkeep for black-flagged ships. 
4) Underground Economy: All un-MOC'd ships captured by NPC Pirates and Black Flag players can now be condemned (i.e. sold) to the
Prize Court for a value of 50%-75% of their regular license value.  The rules for non-black flag players selling to the prize court remains unchanged.
5) Sea Rats earn an extra 30% yield on Artisan businesses. <- under review
6) No taxes!

For those still uncertain of what faction to chose or how to sign up in a minute, we have some simple instructions here, which pretty much sum up everything

Index
A Detailed Look at the Sea Rats (this post)
Settlements (second post)
Membership (second post)

A DETAILED LOOK at the SEA RATS

1. Leadership

Susieh Cheng (@dr_spock, Co-Leader)
sigfig2.jpg

Susieh Cheng loves sharp pointy objects. She doesn't like talking about her past like that incident with her eye. Rumours have it that she was kidnapped as a child by pirates. Having been raised by pirates, she developed a taste for gold and booty. Whatever you do, do not cross her. Those who do end up as shark bait after seasoned with 14 spices and stuffed with stale bread.

Doctor Thaum - (@Professor Thaum, Co-Leader)

ecb9.png

The Pirate Council

The Pirate Council is a group of influential captains and business folk, and here they hold their kangaroo courts. There is a certain honor among the thieves, and the most prominent business owners and pirates meet to discuss how best to conduct business and keep the people happy. Whenever there are enough issues the Council reconvenes to discuss them, but apart from that everyone does their own thing, and the most notorious pirate amongst them (currently Captain Reynard le Roublard) collects tithes for the greater good of them all... incase Corrington or Oleon comes knocking at their ports and they need a show of force to defend their freedom. These are the free folk, bound to no master but those they chose, and they do as they please, when they please to whomever or with whomever they please. Kind of anarchic-like.

2. Landscape

The Port of Bastion
23686329260_34f066dcdd.jpg MOC by Commander Red Hat

Bastion is a town on the rocky shores of the Nest of Thieves populated by vagabonds and rogues, as well as the staunchly independent and dispossessed, the chaotic town is where the pirates have free port and may sell their ill begotten loot. There is not much of an organized structure to things on The Nest of Thieves, so Bastion grew without ordinance, leading to shoddy construction in some parts, and a lot of crime in the streets - but the people are tough, so they don’t really mind all that much.

6968373081_3fe8924ed6.jpg MOC by Darkdragon

3. Military

Army:
Sea Rats have no uniforms, so they wear whatever they see fit in the morning or nothing. It is recommended that you sail under a black flag, but if that is somehow not possible any other color will do the job!

Navy:
The Sea Rats have many ships in their fleet, which they rent out to their members for dastardly activities on the high seas. Apply for permission to use them in the Sea Rat group PM.

Active Faction Ships Are:

Corporal Milton - Class 5 warship
Misfortune's Doom - Class 5 warship

Hades' Tuba - Class 5 warship
HMS Pendragon - Class 5 warship

Godfreed Faulk - Class 2 trader

23182467355_844369a8c4.jpg MOC by Captain Braunsfeld

4. History and Culture

Brief:
The Sea Rats are a mixed bunch, but for the most part they consist of pirates, rogues, and thieves. Discovering the island soon afterwards to be known as The Nest of Thieves, the Sea Rats settled down and made its rocky shores their home, building the stronghold of Bastion on its nearly impregnable rocky eminences. Since then the Sea Rats have thrived in their new home, and piratical and other business is at its finest!

Detailed:
Unlike the Kings and Queens of the old world, Pirate leadership is dynamic, and mercurial – it is anarchistic, not dynastic. The top pirate or individual with the most personal influence gets to boss the others around until they themselves are deposed. The Sea Rats are comprised of a true hodge-podge of peoples from a variety of Nations, all of whom have forsworn their prior allegiances in favor of a free life of self-determination and self-reliance. Many of the original Sea Rats were those dispossessed by their nations during the first great rush for the new world. These betrayed sailors, clinging to the promise of wealth and glory, turned south from the closed gates of Nelissa, and, along with many old rogues who had earned their salt in the old world by piratical activities and such-like, settled the rocky shores of the island that would become "The Nest of Thieves." The city of Bastion was founded here on the skeleton of a former Eslandolan fishing village. With the great diversity of newcomers, no one nation could hold dominance here, and instead, a council was formed of the most prominent captains amongst them, many former Privateers and pirates of the Old World. This was the first Pirate High Council, where they determined that Bastion would remain forever free of the influence of the tyrannical empires, and that no one person could be their master! This pact laid the groundwork for Bastion to become the wretched hive of scum and villainy it has become, and united the Sea Rats as a people. In the absence of law and order, the streets of Bastion are in a constant state of chaos, with infamous pirate lords freely roaming the street, and pickpockets on every corner... but the people are a tough, resolute bunch, and despite the anarchy, business booms from the riches brought in by the pirates, and a healthy – if you like that kind of healthiness – economy of pirate raids, and smugglers has formed.

Diplomacy:
The Sea Rats are pretty indifferent when it comes to other factions. Of course, this type of indifference means something more like, "They see a ship and attack, without bothering to check whose flag waves from the mast head," rather than an indifferent kind of indifference. Neither do the Sea Rats particularly relish the idea of hanging by their necks until they be dead, so they naturally study to avoid any such unappetizing contingencies resulting from getting caught by a different faction which they had been preying on.

(Note: Relationships are judged on a 1 to 5 scale; Very Friendly, Friendly, Indifferent, Unfriendly, Hostile)

Sea Rat's relationship with:
Corrington: Indifferent
Eslandola: Indifferent
Oleon: Indifferent

Other nations relationship with Sea Rats:
Corrington: Indifferent
Eslandola: Indifferent
Oleon: Indifferent

5. Membership
To sign up, post a post a picture of your signature figure. You are welcome to include a bit of a description or backstory.
Your signature figure, or sigfig, will represent your character throughout your MOCs within Brethren of the Brick Seas.
(That does not mean that your sigfig has to be in every MOC you make).

Within BoBS there are many possibilities. Build your own story, and since you're a Sea Rat, feel free to plunder and search the seas for treasure!

23865863962_5651146b93_o.png

Settlements

Bastion, Nest of Thieves (zone 18)
Rassilon, Nest of Thieves (Zone 18)
Takashii Village, Nest of Thieves (Zone 18)
Charlatan Bay, Infero Pordejon (zone 24)
Tortuga, Sea Turtle Island (zone 32)
Poppy Port, Sabre Island (zone 26)
Sereen Cay, The Rock
(zone 31)
Haven, Isla del Diablo (zone 21)
Moray's Den, Isla del Diablo (zone 21)
Black Rock, somewhere in New Haven Sea (zone xx)

Membership

ACTIVE
Gustaf Von Bricktin (Roadmonkeytj)
Lothario (Fraunces)
Doctor Thaum (Professor Thaum)
formerly Captain Meloche (Kwatchi)
Susieh Cheng (dr_spock)
Rodsh Derr (Bart)
Oilskin Jonny (Tomskippy)
Sean Greybeard  (Count Vroskri)
Captain James Rulthorpe (Rconn0)
Captain Obadiah Shaw (Pdaitabird)
Corwin Ragnarrson (Corweena)
Captain Kane (NOD)
Edward Zentonn (Monocle)
Omni Al-Hash (omnihash_cz)
William "will" Cutter (TheRiddlersMind)

SEMI-RETIRED
Sinbad (MKJoshA)
Ethylene Glycol (pombe)
Captain Leon Dracken (kaiju)
Callia (Ulric Brickenheim)
"Arrow" (Ukah-kamuta-na-ta-ta-fi-ra-ra) (SodorBricks)
TBA (bmerrill)

RETIRED
Bartholomew "Lefty" Jones (Bob De Quatre)
Richard Walton, Esq (CB4)
Comrade Captain Darksten (Comrade Commander)
Amara (Gulagurag)
Shaman Azeban (ilulz)
Captain Benjamin Morgan (Jacob Nion)
Captain William Quick (MiloNelsiano)
Captain Shen (nivremis)
Esteban Escobar (Ron701)
Jasper Soares (Savage_opress)
Rhys Flaidd DeTaillefer (Vedauwoo)
Captain Mengish (Mengish)
Captain Matthew Hawse (RocketSeason)

Islands

27148986356_8563e74667_c.jpg

On this map, the Sea Rats are in control of Nest of Theives, Isla Del Diablo, and Infero Pordejon.

27182118255_72b1668d51_c.jpg

On this map, the Sea Rats are in control of Island #2 called Sabre Island and Island #12 called The Rock. Another map can be seen here with details here. We also have a settlement on Island #10 called Sea Turtle Island.

ERA I Highlights:

ERA I for the Sea Rats was defined by two major events. The first was when the Eslandolian Anti-Piracy Squadron attacked innocent Sea Rats simply trying to trade for a living. The outrage that ensued almost began a war between the Eslandolians and the Sea Rats. However, after much debate and deliberation in the courts, the two nations were able to come to a compromise. A further result was that careful distinction was made when addressing Sea Rats to ensure that they were only called "pirates" behind their backs.

The second event was the Battle of the Five Fleets. During Eslandola's attempt to break Mardier's blockade of Convict Town, they found themselves beaten at their own game. Having heard the rumors of Eslandola's plans to break the blockade, a Sea Rat fleet set out to plunder the plunderers. They met with great success, but at the cost of two of their most famous ships: The Queen Annetta's Revenge and The Jade Piranha.

There were many more notable events such as the successful if not fool-hardy Sea Rat fleet that sailed straight through Hurricane Stepho with the loss of only one vessel and the daring raid on Tarlo. Browse the forum for past tales to read about more adventures!

I am missing Professor Thaum in the member list for ERA I? :)

Anywho,

@dr_spock, @nivremis & @MKJoshA:

Is there already a lore set by one of you guys, about the background of the ancestors of your characters, seeing they come from a region far far away?

On 10/4/2017 at 6:28 AM, Maxim I said:

I am missing Professor Thaum in the member list for ERA I? :)

Anywho,

@dr_spock, @nivremis & @MKJoshA:

Is there already a lore set by one of you guys, about the background of the ancestors of your characters, seeing they come from a region far far away?

Well, my character is originally from Oleon. But he fell in with the Fangs, a Bai'Pei family. The Bai'Pei people hail from south of the known map, but beyond that no other lore as been created as far as I know.

Nothing to see here. While I do not appreciate the previous post, my comment was inappropriate.

Edited by Drunknok

@Drunknok: That seems like an unneccessarily harsh and political comment for a common symbol. Please don't use these forums for political agendas. :pir-blush:

Just now, Bregir said:

@Drunknok: That seems like an unneccessarily harsh and political comment for a common symbol. Please don't use these forums for political agendas. :pir-blush:

I strongly disagree, but: post edited.

Edited by Drunknok

Just now, Professor Thaum said:

@Bregir Er... it seems that it was a problem with my pic... should I edit to ? Sorry if it was misunderstood

I will refer to this:

On 29/10/2017 at 10:56 PM, Bregir said:

Good. Case closed :pir-blush:

50 minutes ago, Professor Thaum said:

@Bregir Er... it seems that it was a problem with my pic... should I edit to ? Sorry if it was misunderstood

It was a personal issue of mine, sorry for the hassle. As Bregir said: case closed.

To all affiliating themselves with the Sea Rats,

During the last month, privateers flying the very flags of your brotherhood have in several instances openly attacked Corlander shipping, including both merchant and national vessels.

Corrington can not abide with such blatant attacks on our shipping, safety and sovereignty, and hereby informs all Sea Rats that unless these matters are resolved to her Majesty's satisfaction, the Royal Navy will hunt down the perpetrators without regard to collateral damage, seizing any and all Sea Rat vessels encountered.

Should this message find you interested in resolving these matters peacefully, you may address any communications to me in Arlinsport.

Rear Admiral S. Fletcher

Royal Navy, Terra Nova

Dear Rear Admiral S. Fletcher

It saddens me to read about this unfortunate turn of events.  To condemn our trade fleet for the actions of others beyond our control seems churlish and reflects poorly upon you. Charlatan Bay has been a stalwart friend of a number of Corrington nationals and still values this relationship highly.  However, for the sake of our safety, our port will be closed to all Corrish traffic as of the 15th of this month and remain so until the matter is resolved satisfactorily.  Any vessel flying the flag of your nation seen in our environs will be considered a prelude to an act of aggression and fired upon with extreme prejudice.

I urge you to reconsider your stance before any incident can occur.

Most truly,

Mstr. T. M. Porari,
Envoy for Mayor Amara of Charlatan Bay

Edited by Kwatchi

To all Sea Rats,

Corrington has considered the recent concerns with regards to our recent statement regarding Sea Rat attacks on Corlander shipping. This leads us to bring some clarifications.

1. Corrington does not consider itself at war with the Sea Rats federation, and will not attack Sea Rat vessels outside specific zones.
  2. The attackers have been clearly identified, both by our own officers and external sources, including the KPA. They have been tracked to Bastion.
  3. Corrington will strike against the pirates and anyone aiding the culprits. For harbouring pirates, we currently consider Bastion an outlaw settlement, and will subject it and the surrounding sea zones to a powerful blockade. Sea Rats not wishing to be dragged into the conflict should seek to avoid these waters, as we have no wish to cause unnecessary bloodshed.
  4. Corrington is forced to accept collateral damage, which will not be compensated, but pledge to return any prizes taken that are found to be unaffiliated with the pirates.
  5. Sea Rat ports that decide to harbour pirates will be considered outlaw.

Her Majesty urges all Sea Rats to stand against those that would sully the name of your federation by damaging relations with Corrington, who has always respected your desire to be free. However, she cannot and will not abide these affronts to her Crown and the safety of her people. Should these concerns be addressed, losses compensated, and the culprits brought to justice, however, the situation is changed and we may call off the blockade.

On behalf of her Majesty,

Rear Admiral Fletcher

Commander-in-Chief, Royal Terra Novan Navy

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To the Mayor of Bastion,

Bastion is currently harbouring vessels and crews guilty of piracy against Corlander shipping. We hereby demand immediate action against the criminals and their vessels (named below), and suggest immediate extradition to Corlander authorities. Otherwise, we shall be forced to take military action. We consider any port that harbours proven pirates outlaw and will react accordingly.

The following vessels have been positively identified as taking part in piracy against her Majesty's vessels and subjects:

• Viper
  • Pineapple's Revenge
  • Cardinal
  • Misfortune's Revenge

On behalf of her Majesty

Rear Admiral Fletcher

Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.  Death is listening, and will take the first man that screams.

Two fleets enter - One fleet leaves!

Two fleets enter - One fleet leaves!

Sorry.  I couldn't help myself. :pir_laugh2:

On 11/14/2017 at 5:53 AM, Bregir said:

To all Sea Rats,

Corrington has considered the recent concerns with regards to our recent statement regarding Sea Rat attacks on Corlander shipping. This leads us to bring some clarifications.

1. Corrington does not consider itself at war with the Sea Rats federation, and will not attack Sea Rat vessels outside specific zones.
  2. The attackers have been clearly identified, both by our own officers and external sources, including the KPA. They have been tracked to Bastion.
  3. Corrington will strike against the pirates and anyone aiding the culprits. For harbouring pirates, we currently consider Bastion an outlaw settlement, and will subject it and the surrounding sea zones to a powerful blockade. Sea Rats not wishing to be dragged into the conflict should seek to avoid these waters, as we have no wish to cause unnecessary bloodshed.
  4. Corrington is forced to accept collateral damage, which will not be compensated, but pledge to return any prizes taken that are found to be unaffiliated with the pirates.
  5. Sea Rat ports that decide to harbour pirates will be considered outlaw.

Her Majesty urges all Sea Rats to stand against those that would sully the name of your federation by damaging relations with Corrington, who has always respected your desire to be free. However, she cannot and will not abide these affronts to her Crown and the safety of her people. Should these concerns be addressed, losses compensated, and the culprits brought to justice, however, the situation is changed and we may call off the blockade.

On behalf of her Majesty,

Rear Admiral Fletcher

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To the Mayor of Bastion,

Bastion is currently harbouring vessels and crews guilty of piracy against Corlander shipping. We hereby demand immediate action against the criminals and their vessels (named below), and suggest immediate extradition to Corlander authorities. Otherwise, we shall be forced to take military action. We consider any port that harbours proven pirates outlaw and will react accordingly.

The following vessels have been positively identified as taking part in piracy against her Majesty's vessels and subjects:

• Viper
  • Pineapple's Revenge
  • Cardinal
  • Misfortune's Revenge

On behalf of her Majesty

Rear Admiral Fletcher

To Rear Admiral S. Fletcher and all of Corrington: Thank you for taking into consideration the fact that each Sea Rat captain is a separate authority unto him/herself. We appreciate your attention to detail in that matter by not declaring war on all Sea Rats.

However, we, the Sea Rats, do not have any formalized government nor do we recognize any. Therefore, in as formal a manner as can be mustered by the Sea Rats as an organized body, we cannot recognize your declaration of war against the port of Bastion. To do so would go against the moral code of all Sea Rats to recognize no other moral code.

However, we are willing to consider the details of the actions that have offended you. Can you please provide us with more specifics? In the meantime, if you would like to still sail for Bastion and enjoy the pleasures we have to offer. We'd be happy to accept you at our port.

The Sea Rats

@MKJoshA

Please find enclosed after action reports from the incidents in question.

1st incident: (From the official report of Captain Jno. Cooke, RN)

"I regret to inform you that Corrington is under attack. During a routine patrol in the waters west of Cocovia, in command of the HMS Ironsides with the private vessel Justicia sailing in consort, we spotted a squadron of warships flying the Sea Rat colours. Upon closing to learn of their intention, they opened fire upon the Justicia. Lieutenant Mcleod and his men are to be commended for their high state of readiness and expert gunnery, immediately returning fire and sinking the nearest enemy, the class 4 brig of war "Harvester". However, with a fire threatening her magazine, the Justicia was forced to retreat. Laying the Ironsides to screen her, returning fire on these pirates, the Justicia was able to retreat safely. Now faced with overwhelming odds (the class 5 war junk "Viper", and the class 4 brig "Pineapple  Revenge ") and a mainmast wounded thrice, I broke off the engagement and retreated to King's Harbour to refit."

2nd incident: (From a letter sent by a survivor of the Western Wind)

"We were set upon at dawn, and did our best to fight back, hoping we could make our escape. To our great regret, the enemy showed no mercy and our unwillingness to surrender made them hole us several times, leading to the Western Wind sinking. As they sailed on in the rising sun, I could clearly identify them as Cardinal and Misfortune's Revenge. We had never thought to consider Sea Rats our enemy, but this incident has left me with no doubt. The captains of the above vessels are nothing but vile pirates."

Otherwise, I have no further comments. Our position has been made clear, and justice shall be served one way or another. Any future trespasses against Corlander citizens and interests shall be dealt with similarly.

Rear Admiral Fletcher

Commander-in-Chief, Royal Nova Terran Navy

31 minutes ago, Professor Thaum said:

No kidding !

The vessels in question are positively identified. Such is the nature of the game. Sea Rats did attack us. Knowingly.

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

The vessels in question are positively identified. Such is the nature of the game. Sea Rats did attack us. Knowingly.

Is anything truly knowable with the current game mechanics?  :wink: