Sign in to follow this  
Scrubs

Blender Add-on for Mecabricks

Hello,

A couple of years ago I created a script for Blender in order to easily make photorealistic renders of Mecabricks models. It has been improved a lot over the years and it is now a proper Blender Add-on. Once it is installed, you can import models in any of your existing Blender scenes simply by going in the menu File > import > Mecabricks.

iIK7Nxv.png

It automatically handles decorated parts e.g. printed pearl, chrome or transparent pieces as well as stickers.

You can get the free version here http://www.mecabricks.com/fr/shop/product/2

The image below has been made using the latest version of this add-on.

JvuU7f5.jpg

Edited by Scrubs

Cool! Is there a tutorial/manual/guide somewhere on how to use the addon/script?

Wow, I have got to try this. Do you need a special nightly build of blender or does it work with the default install?

@legolijntje There is a basic user manual in the package to explain how to install it. But really there aren't much to do now. Just go in File > Import > Mecabricks (.dae), select the file and then nothing else is required. No more run script button or anything else to do.

@NathanR No, it works perfectly with version of Blender at least from 2.77 (I didn't try older ones). Nightly Build is only required for the shaders using Principled BSDF which is a new PBR shader that will be included in the next Blender release. It is also necessary to use the denoise template including in the package.

Not sure what's wrong, tried many times. same error message. model splitted to 2 parts, one was super large, one was super small.

Report: Error

Traceback(most recent call last):

File "C:\xxxx\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\mecabricks\_init_.py", line 500, in execute return importMecabriks(self, context, self.filepath)

File "C:\xxxx\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\mecabricks\_init_.py", line 221, in importMecabriks objMaterials = parseObjMaterials(object.material_slots)

File "C:\xxxx\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\mecabricks\_init_.py", line 288, in parseObjMaterials "backgroundColor': splitName[1],

IndexError: list index out of range

Try to clear your browser cache. I had to update the code of the workshop last week to add new features. Therefore models exported with the old code can not be used (similarly old script does not work anymore).

Edited by Scrubs

I re-wrote a big part of the add-on to fix various bugs. New revision can be downloaded on Mecabricks. Remember to clear your browser cache has I had to update the workshop exporter code.

@Scrubs I tried this add-on the other day!  Was eager to see it work!  Unfortunately when I imported the sets they were extremely tiny, and when I tried scaling them (couldn't think of a better option), it crashed my blender.  The camera will not get anywhere near close enough to see them in the render window!  Any idea how to fix this?

2 hours ago, JGuy said:

@Scrubs I tried this add-on the other day!  Was eager to see it work!  Unfortunately when I imported the sets they were extremely tiny, and when I tried scaling them (couldn't think of a better option), it crashed my blender.  The camera will not get anywhere near close enough to see them in the render window!  Any idea how to fix this?

Once you install Mecabricks plugin there are two .dae import options, I have faced the tiny model issue if I chose the first one. Please import using the Mecabricks Import (highlighted in attached the screenshot)

Hope this helps.

MecabricksImport.PNG

16 hours ago, IstakaCiti said:

Once you install Mecabricks plugin there are two .dae import options, I have faced the tiny model issue if I chose the first one. Please import using the Mecabricks Import (highlighted in attached the screenshot)

Hope this helps.

Thanks for responding! :) Hmmm... I tried this and unfortunately I ran into an error:

error.JPG.c9303d67ed87b8bcf526c67280c9f023.JPG

Any ideas?

@JGuy This is because you have an old version of the Add-On. Re-download the latest revision 2.0.4 from Mecabricks. This is the only one working now. Everything before is obsolete and will fail to run. I made some core changes to the Mecabricks exporter and Blender Add-on yesterday.

Remember to clear your cache again to make sure you have the latest version of the Mecabricks webapp in your browser - due to the fact the code has changed yesterday.

1 hour ago, Scrubs said:

@JGuy This is because you have an old version of the Add-On. Re-download the latest revision 2.0.4 from Mecabricks. This is the only one working now. Everything before is obsolete and will fail to run. I made some core changes to the Mecabricks exporter and Blender Add-on yesterday.

Remember to clear your cache again to make sure you have the latest version of the Mecabricks webapp in your browser - due to the fact the code has changed yesterday.

Thank you so much!  I will try that tomorrow!  Do I just disable the add-on in blender or should I get rid of it completely?