Peppermint_M

Future Action and Adventure Themes

Recommended Posts

On 2/9/2020 at 12:28 PM, cheetor1981 said:
On 2/7/2020 at 7:03 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, as I've expressed here earlier, I myself would still be terribly thrilled by a post-WWI detective theme that'd essentially be Monster Fighters 2.0 with a more of a Pulp/Noir/Lovecraftian flavor... :oh:

richard-wright-cthulhu-monster-truck.jpg?1537792329

That would be awesome. 

On 2/9/2020 at 1:34 PM, The Reader said:

Ok, I would be fine with a post-WW I detective theme with the detective fighting monster-like bad guys, too.

To take it a step further, how 'bout a noir detective theme that not only follows-up Monster Fighters, but Adventurers too? Imagine a premise that has a private investigator team-up with a masked crimefighter (e.g. The Shadow or The Green Hornet), a professor of archaeology (e.g. Indiana Jones), and other "extraordinary" individuals based upon various Pulp Adventure Fiction archetypes to thwart a malevolent Lord/Baron/Count and his army of mafia goons from stealing a cursed relic from the local Museum of Natural History to unleash an  ancient evil upon the city in a bid for world domination. :shrug_oh_well:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

To take it a step further, how 'bout a noir detective theme that not only follows-up Monster Fighters, but Adventurers too? Imagine a premise that has a private investigator team-up with a masked crimefighter (e.g. The Shadow or The Green Hornet), a professor of archaeology (e.g. Indiana Jones), and other "extraordinary" individuals based upon various Pulp Adventure Fiction archetypes to thwart a malevolent Lord/Baron/Count and his army of mafia goons from stealing a cursed relic from the local Museum of Natural History to unleash an  ancient evil upon the city in a bid for world domination. 

Well, that's a great mix-up!

But honestly, I would prefer to separate both themes:

  • Either a private investigation team consisting of the private detective à la Philip Marlowe ("the brain"), his sidekick à la Dr. Watson or Captain Hastings ("the muscles"), his helpful secretary and a police inspector. This theme might play in a noir, "gotham city"-like setting.
  • Or an adventurer team consisting of the hero, a scientist, a technician ("McGyver") and other members with different skills. This theme might play in archeology-like settings (e.g. Egypt and so on).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

To take it a step further, how 'bout a noir detective theme that not only follows-up Monster Fighters, but Adventurers too? Imagine a premise that has a private investigator team-up with a masked crimefighter (e.g. The Shadow or The Green Hornet), a professor of archaeology (e.g. Indiana Jones), and other "extraordinary" individuals based upon various Pulp Adventure Fiction archetypes to thwart a malevolent Lord/Baron/Count and his army of mafia goons from stealing a cursed relic from the local Museum of Natural History to unleash an  ancient evil upon the city in a bid for world domination. :shrug_oh_well:

Yet another great idea. 

2 hours ago, The Reader said:

Well, that's a great mix-up!

But honestly, I would prefer to separate both themes:

  • Either a private investigation team consisting of the private detective à la Philip Marlowe ("the brain"), his sidekick à la Dr. Watson or Captain Hastings ("the muscles"), his helpful secretary and a police inspector. This theme might play in a noir, "gotham city"-like setting.
  • Or an adventurer team consisting of the hero, a scientist, a technician ("McGyver") and other members with different skills. This theme might play in archeology-like settings (e.g. Egypt and so on).

 That's cool.   MacGyver would be great. 

Edited by cheetor1981

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

To take it a step further, how 'bout a noir detective theme that not only follows-up Monster Fighters, but Adventurers too? Imagine a premise that has a private investigator team-up with a masked crimefighter (e.g. The Shadow or The Green Hornet), a professor of archaeology (e.g. Indiana Jones), and other "extraordinary" individuals based upon various Pulp Adventure Fiction archetypes to thwart a malevolent Lord/Baron/Count and his army of mafia goons from stealing a cursed relic from the local Museum of Natural History to unleash an  ancient evil upon the city in a bid for world domination. :shrug_oh_well:

This sounds like something beyond what LEGO would realistically ever do though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lego David said:

This sounds like something beyond what LEGO would realistically ever do though...

Really? What makes you think that? :shrug_confused:

The way I see it, such a theme would be to Pulp Adventure Fiction what Ninjago has been to both Martial Arts and Japanese pop culture. And really, you just know that if Lego were to attempt a reboot of Adventurers nowadays it'd be some degree more fantastical than the original theme was, so I honestly could see such a successor following quite closely along the lines of what I suggested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 1:03 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, as I've expressed here earlier, I myself would still be terribly thrilled by a post-WWI detective theme that'd essentially be Monster Fighters 2.0 with a more of a Pulp/Noir/Lovecraftian flavor... :oh:

richard-wright-cthulhu-monster-truck.jpg?1537792329

Cthulhu big-fig. I want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, a call of Cthulhu type-theme would be incredible. 

Something I've been considering of late is a new secret agent type line. Much more grounded than Ultra Agents, but with a charm of its own. A big focus would be on disguise and stealth, like a booth with a spinning wall that you can flip around to change your agent into an enemy minion or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going back to my reply to @Lego David's skepticism, I also want to add that like Ninjago, a broadly-encompassing evergreen Pulp Adventure theme needn't set itself within the real-world historical context that it'd be taking inspiration from, as it could instead be set within a retro-futuristic fantasy universe/alternate history much like Ninjago had done, thereby allowing Lego to cherry-pick the best aspects the genre has to offer, all the while avoiding the more problematic ones that'd be harder to steer around if such a theme were to be set within the real-world historical context that most Pulp Adventure Fiction is associated with.

Edited by Digger of Bricks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like a scifi theme set in the 50s about conspiracy theories. Use greys, nordics and reptilians as villains and men in black too. Heck, even have a Allen Hynek style character. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.