Peppermint_M

Future Action and Adventure Themes

On 2/9/2020 at 12:28 PM, cheetor1981 said:
On 2/7/2020 at 7:03 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, as I've expressed here earlier, I myself would still be terribly thrilled by a post-WWI detective theme that'd essentially be Monster Fighters 2.0 with a more of a Pulp/Noir/Lovecraftian flavor... :oh:

richard-wright-cthulhu-monster-truck.jpg?1537792329

That would be awesome. 

On 2/9/2020 at 1:34 PM, The Reader said:

Ok, I would be fine with a post-WW I detective theme with the detective fighting monster-like bad guys, too.

To take it a step further, how 'bout a noir detective theme that not only follows-up Monster Fighters, but Adventurers too? Imagine a premise that has a private investigator team-up with a masked crimefighter (e.g. The Shadow or The Green Hornet), a professor of archaeology (e.g. Indiana Jones), and other "extraordinary" individuals based upon various Pulp Adventure Fiction archetypes to thwart a malevolent Lord/Baron/Count and his army of mafia goons from stealing a cursed relic from the local Museum of Natural History to unleash an  ancient evil upon the city in a bid for world domination. :shrug_oh_well:

7 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

To take it a step further, how 'bout a noir detective theme that not only follows-up Monster Fighters, but Adventurers too? Imagine a premise that has a private investigator team-up with a masked crimefighter (e.g. The Shadow or The Green Hornet), a professor of archaeology (e.g. Indiana Jones), and other "extraordinary" individuals based upon various Pulp Adventure Fiction archetypes to thwart a malevolent Lord/Baron/Count and his army of mafia goons from stealing a cursed relic from the local Museum of Natural History to unleash an  ancient evil upon the city in a bid for world domination. 

Well, that's a great mix-up!

But honestly, I would prefer to separate both themes:

• Either a private investigation team consisting of the private detective à la Philip Marlowe ("the brain"), his sidekick à la Dr. Watson or Captain Hastings ("the muscles"), his helpful secretary and a police inspector. This theme might play in a noir, "gotham city"-like setting.
  • Or an adventurer team consisting of the hero, a scientist, a technician ("McGyver") and other members with different skills. This theme might play in archeology-like settings (e.g. Egypt and so on).

10 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

To take it a step further, how 'bout a noir detective theme that not only follows-up Monster Fighters, but Adventurers too? Imagine a premise that has a private investigator team-up with a masked crimefighter (e.g. The Shadow or The Green Hornet), a professor of archaeology (e.g. Indiana Jones), and other "extraordinary" individuals based upon various Pulp Adventure Fiction archetypes to thwart a malevolent Lord/Baron/Count and his army of mafia goons from stealing a cursed relic from the local Museum of Natural History to unleash an  ancient evil upon the city in a bid for world domination. :shrug_oh_well:

Yet another great idea. 

2 hours ago, The Reader said:

Well, that's a great mix-up!

But honestly, I would prefer to separate both themes:

• Either a private investigation team consisting of the private detective à la Philip Marlowe ("the brain"), his sidekick à la Dr. Watson or Captain Hastings ("the muscles"), his helpful secretary and a police inspector. This theme might play in a noir, "gotham city"-like setting.
  • Or an adventurer team consisting of the hero, a scientist, a technician ("McGyver") and other members with different skills. This theme might play in archeology-like settings (e.g. Egypt and so on).

That's cool.   MacGyver would be great. 

Edited by cheetor1981

14 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

This sounds like something beyond what LEGO would realistically ever do though...

7 hours ago, Lego David said:

This sounds like something beyond what LEGO would realistically ever do though...

Really? What makes you think that? :shrug_confused:

The way I see it, such a theme would be to Pulp Adventure Fiction what Ninjago has been to both Martial Arts and Japanese pop culture. And really, you just know that if Lego were to attempt a reboot of Adventurers nowadays it'd be some degree more fantastical than the original theme was, so I honestly could see such a successor following quite closely along the lines of what I suggested.

On 2/8/2020 at 1:03 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, as I've expressed here earlier, I myself would still be terribly thrilled by a post-WWI detective theme that'd essentially be Monster Fighters 2.0 with a more of a Pulp/Noir/Lovecraftian flavor... :oh:

richard-wright-cthulhu-monster-truck.jpg?1537792329

Cthulhu big-fig. I want.

Oh, a call of Cthulhu type-theme would be incredible. 

Something I've been considering of late is a new secret agent type line. Much more grounded than Ultra Agents, but with a charm of its own. A big focus would be on disguise and stealth, like a booth with a spinning wall that you can flip around to change your agent into an enemy minion or something.

Going back to my reply to @Lego David's skepticism, I also want to add that like Ninjago, a broadly-encompassing evergreen Pulp Adventure theme needn't set itself within the real-world historical context that it'd be taking inspiration from, as it could instead be set within a retro-futuristic fantasy universe/alternate history much like Ninjago had done, thereby allowing Lego to cherry-pick the best aspects the genre has to offer, all the while avoiding the more problematic ones that'd be harder to steer around if such a theme were to be set within the real-world historical context that most Pulp Adventure Fiction is associated with.

Edited by Digger of Bricks

I would like a scifi theme set in the 50s about conspiracy theories. Use greys, nordics and reptilians as villains and men in black too. Heck, even have a Allen Hynek style character. 

Minilegogo said on instagram that an old theme from many years ago is coming back later this year,thoughts? 

*oh2*

But we would know by now, right? Nothing of that sort was mentioned at the Toy Fairs

1 minute ago, Robert8 said:

*oh2*

But we would know by now, right? Nothing of that sort was mentioned at the Toy Fairs

I don't recall Monkie Kid being at the Toy Fair :wink:

Just now, BrickJagger said:

I don't recall Monkie Kid being at the Toy Fair :wink:

But why would it?

Monkie Kid is rumored to be LEGO Store exclusive out of China. So, there is no point displaying it at the Toy Fair, because retailers can't get them for their stores. 

6 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

But why would it?

Monkie Kid is rumored to be LEGO Store exclusive out of China. So, there is no point displaying it at the Toy Fair, because retailers can't get them for their stores. 

Yeah, but his point is that not everything was shown at toy fair. Mario wasn't there either, there's been loads of surprises this year.

Then again, part of me thinks he might be referring to the adventures Easter eggs in the haunted house drop tower? I'm just not sure...

But Mario is licensed

So it could be part of the agreement

For an inhouse theme.... That shouldnt be an issue

But maybe youre right... I mean Im clueless as usual :laugh:

1 hour ago, Harkonen said:

Minilegogo said on instagram that an old theme from many years ago is coming back later this year,thoughts? 

If I had to guess it's Sports.

Was rumoured a couple of years ago, but with the Olympics and Euros (which both had CMF series, London 2012 and DFB 2016) now cancelled, I think they may expedite a sporty Lego theme for the autumn.

23 hours ago, Lucarex said:

If I had to guess it's Sports.

Was rumoured a couple of years ago, but with the Olympics and Euros (which both had CMF series, London 2012 and DFB 2016) now cancelled, I think they may expedite a sporty Lego theme for the autumn.

Well, there was a Soccer Stadium on a City map, and a Soccer match played on a TV screen in the 2020 City Service Station, so Sports isn't a crazy guess .

On 5/11/2020 at 7:25 PM, Harkonen said:

Probably the Adventurers theme (Egypt subtheme from 1998) in the new Haunted House.

On 5/11/2020 at 8:25 PM, Harkonen said:

How trustworthy is the guy who said that? 

On 5/12/2020 at 11:21 PM, The Reader said:

Probably the Adventurers theme (Egypt subtheme from 1998) in the new Haunted House.

I've given up hope for the return of the Adventurers theme along time ago,at this point I'm scared on getting hopefull again.