Peppermint_M

Future Action and Adventure Themes

1 hour ago, Exetrius said:

Maybe I misunderstand your statement, but there have been a few Indian and Arabian sets in the Orient Expedition and Prince of Persia themes, as well as some Jasmina/Aladdin sets and finally the Taj Mahal:

Reveal hidden contents

7411-1.jpg?2002121301327418-1.jpg?200212130136 7571-1.jpg?201003180447 7573-1.jpg?201003180445

41161-1.jpg?201812140830  10256-1.jpg?201710300126

However, it has been 9 years since Prince of Persia and 16 years since Orient Expedition, so a fresh theme with Arabic or Indian influences would be welcome.

Well, particularly, I had more in mind an in-house action/adventure theme that used Arabian or Indian culture as its foundational basis pretty much in the same way Ninjago utilizes Japanese culture (and likewise, Bionicle takes after Polynesian culture). They could take a more grounded approach; or, rather a high fantasy/sci-fi route the same way Ninjago, Nexo Knights, or Bionicle had done.

43 minutes ago, x105Black said:

They looked like hi-tech Nexo Knights.

Heh, but Nexo Knights are already pretty hi-tech to begin with though anyway... :wink:

On 1/20/2019 at 10:12 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Wow, I've never heard of this G3 "Brickonicle" fan theme before, nor have I ever seen any of the art or set concepts behind it either. After taking a look at the link you shared and checking out others "Brickonicle" proposals... *huh*

LekG3ta.png

Hot damn! I never got into Bionicle, but I'd buy every set of this line for figures like this. GET IN ON THIS TLG!!!

Edited by Alegrispa

18 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Heh, but Nexo Knights are already pretty hi-tech to begin with though anyway... :wink:

True, one of the main problems with the theme.  But these look even more hi-tech.  Like they belong in space.

Something I'm particularly hoping for with the next Action/Adventure theme, is that it'll be exploration-focused rather that just being yet another good-vs-evil saga. Looking back at so many of my proposals here, the spirit of the Adventurers theme is what I aspire after the most. So, rather than taking after Bionicle, Ninjago, Legends of Chima, Nexo Knights, or Elves, couldn't the next "big bang" please take more after Atlantis, Power Miners, Pharaoh's Quest, Dino, and the such next time around? :purrr:

On 1/23/2019 at 12:37 AM, x105Black said:

But these look even more hi-tech.  Like they belong in space.

Eh, I've always found Bionicle to be more Bio-Mechanical by definition, so much so that it surpassed the "hi-tech" description. In my eyes, Nexo Knights was much more technologically inclined since it didn't quite rise above technological hardware like Bionicle had done.

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

So, rather than taking after Bionicle, Ninjago, Legends of Chima, Nexo Knights, or Elves, couldn't the next "big bang" please take more after Atlantis, Power Miners, Pharaoh's Quest, Dino, and the such next time around? :purrr:

I wouldn't mind a comeback of a non-licensed Western/Adventurers theme, or a spinoff on that on some other frontier exploration.(South America/Africa/Asia/Australia).

I don't know how realistic it is in the current day and age to see a native tribe in a LEGO set however. 

For me personally I never had any feeling that the Western or Adventurer themes had any "opressive" elements regarding those tribes, even with the guns and dynamite.

Edited by TeriXeri

36 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I don't know how realistic it is in the current day and age to see a native tribe in a LEGO set however. 

For me personally I never had any feeling that the Western or Adventurer themes had any "opressive" elements regarding those tribes, even with the guns and dynamite.

My answer to those concerns has always been to have the protagonists of such a theme be the defenders/allies of the native inhabitants in question. For instance, such a dynamic would have Johnny Thunder & Company defend/fight alongside an ancient culture's inhabitants against Baron Von Barron's conquests. :classic:

16 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Eh, I've always found Bionicle to be more Bio-Mechanical by definition, so much so that it surpassed the "hi-tech" description. In my eyes, Nexo Knights was much more technologically inclined since it didn't quite rise above technological hardware like Bionicle had done.

That may be true of the theme.  My comment was only in reference to the fan art.

A promotional image of a new theme (shown at Nuremberg Toy Fair) is floating on the web. It show a teen/adolescent girl and boy, wearing street wear (hoodies, caps) and holding a smartphone up in the air, possibly taking pictures. The girl has pink dyed hair and a knitted cap, the boy stands in a kayak and has a hoodie over his cap. The background is nightly and there's a thunderstorm going on and furthermore shows a dark tower.

I say this theme will be about young thrill seekers annex vloggers, who will look for and encounter ghosts, mythical beings (i.e. Nessie, Bigfoot), wherewolves, vampires, or even aliens. This can get interesting. :sweet:

That new theme does look interesting.

My personal hope for a new action/adventure theme is like a hybrid of adventurers and fantasy era. You'd have a party of adventurers Ala Dungeons and dragons or skyrim who would be our named protagonists (and the main characters in any tie-in media), they'd have different roles on the team ( like a wizard, a knight and a ranger etc ) and would be from different fantasy races. they'd travel through different kingdoms for each wave, with generic soldiers, new enemies and varying fantasy locales inspired by various real world cultures.

The story would be about how the group of adventurers formed together despite their differences to fight for the greater good, thy could be rejected by their own people and come together to form a group of heroes.For example the mage could come from a culture that despised magic. It would be a bit like the heroica sets but would be composed of proper builds rather than brick built board games.

4 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

That new theme does look interesting.

My personal hope for a new action/adventure theme is like a hybrid of adventurers and fantasy era. You'd have a party of adventurers Ala Dungeons and dragons or skyrim who would be our named protagonists (and the main characters in any tie-in media), they'd have different roles on the team ( like a wizard, a knight and a ranger etc ) and would be from different fantasy races. they'd travel through different kingdoms for each wave, with generic soldiers, new enemies and varying fantasy locales inspired by various real world cultures.

The story would be about how the group of adventurers formed together despite their differences to fight for the greater good, thy could be rejected by their own people and come together to form a group of heroes.For example the mage could come from a culture that despised magic. It would be a bit like the heroica sets but would be composed of proper builds rather than brick built board games.

This is a great idea.

Say, what if Lego made the next Underwater/Aquazone theme a minidoll-based line instead, thereby becoming a successor to Lego's Elves at the same time? :classic:

While past Underwater/Aquazone lines have been exploration-based, how about having such a minidoll-based playtheme be more in the vein of Elves in terms of its premise, perhaps taking after DC Comics' cinematic interpretation of Atlantis in its aesthetic? Set in a fictional underwater kingdom, the theme's protagonists/inhabitants could be more akin to fish-like humanoids rather than just straight-up "merfolk" in the traditional sense. Plus, how about having its antagonists be surface-dwelling pirates piloting submersibles, perhaps inspired after Jules Verne's Captain Nemo & Company? 

Essentially, I guess it'd be Lego's Atlantis, but in reverse. :shrug_oh_well:

On 1/31/2019 at 11:34 AM, Exetrius said:

I say this theme will be about young thrill seekers annex vloggers, who will look for and encounter ghosts, mythical beings (i.e. Nessie, Bigfoot), wherewolves, vampires, or even aliens. This can get interesting. :sweet:

While it's more likely to be as broad as you defined it, I think it'd be cool if it were strictly cryptozoological:smug:

A possible supernatural theme might be coming this year?

Count me in! I'm sucker for those themes,hopefully we get a hybrid between monster hunters and scooby doo. 

Edit:Ops I meant Monster Fighters.

Edited by LOTR34

10 hours ago, LOTR34 said:

a hybrid between monster hunters and scooby doo.

That's about what I'm expecting to see based on that one promotional image.

Ya know, something Lego hasn't touched upon in previous action/adventure themes before is any sort of premise that sees humans and anthropomorphic animals coexisting together. While Legends of Chima is the only action/adventure theme to utilize anthropomorphic animals so far, a theme that shares more in common with, say, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in premise rather than Thundercats would be interesting to see. I haven't an idea for specifics, but you probably see what I'm vaguely suggesting. :shrug_oh_well:

Whilst I am not that keen on anthropomorphic animals, you could sorta do that with one or  two different animal types and place it in more historic settings like the khajiits and argonians from skyrim.

On 2/7/2019 at 2:09 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Ya know, something Lego hasn't touched upon in previous action/adventure themes before is any sort of premise that sees humans and anthropomorphic animals coexisting together. 

What about the serpentine from ninjago? 

I had an idea. At first it started as a way to get some old themes back. I thought it'd be neat to see a a sort of "Classics" line that had Castle, Space, Pirates, and maybe some others all under one branding. Basically multiple themes in a single line.

But then I figured... There could be some action theme potential there. Have some time-travel element where the main characters go to different periods in time. And they could have different costumes based on where they are. Something like that. And maybe each wave could be a different period. So, like, we'd have a half a year as a Pirate theme, half year of Space, etc.

On 2/10/2019 at 11:04 AM, Agent Kallus said:

What about the serpentine from ninjago? 

Oh, I suppose that counts, though I was more thinking of a theme that allies anthropomorphic animal characters with humans, much like TMNT. :shrug_oh_well:

Just now, Kalhiki said:

I had an idea. At first it started as a way to get some old themes back. I thought it'd be neat to see a a sort of "Classics" line that had Castle, Space, Pirates, and maybe some others all under one branding. Basically multiple themes in a single line.

That could already be easily done under the Creator theme. :wink:

2 minutes ago, Kalhiki said:

But then I figured... There could be some action theme potential there. Have some time-travel element where the main characters go to different periods in time. And they could have different costumes based on where they are. Something like that. And maybe each wave could be a different period. So, like, we'd have a half a year as a Pirate theme, half year of Space, etc.

Lego really needs to revisit time travel for a new in-house action/adventure theme, as it has so much long-term potential. :thumbup:

Whenever we may come to see the next successor to Monster Fighters (after Hidden Side, if that counts as such), it'd be kinda cool if such a theme took after Lovecraftian action/adventure RPGs in its style, setting, and premise (granted, it'd be a heavily watered-down take on such).

A while ago, I discovered some artwork thru Pinterest for a RPG named Cthulhu: Death May Die that piqued my interest, as I wasn't previously aware Lovecraftian fare could lean towards such pulpy tendencies! :oh: In premise, this particular game has a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen-esque cast of heroic investigators (made up of both original characters and historical figures) pitted up against Lovecraftian creatures/entities and their cultist followers, all set during the 1920's. Now, for as intriguing and enticing as that all may sound to me, the main hook was Karl Kopinski's art of the game's protagonists, as I'd LOVE to see a playtheme from Lego with character designs such as these... :wub:

13583baee6293c3857596a6e91e70ec3_original.png?ixlib=rb-2.0.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1531745501&auto=format&gif-q=50&lossless=true&s=4fb489ff667d0cf92ec183b7996587c1549c876723846bdec791e9357e037901_original.png?ixlib=rb-2.0.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1532447776&auto=format&gif-q=50&lossless=true&s=0a23301f738f5bfba0804206085a84cc44e6096e653e8f78e8e18f2f9b6b8339_original.png?ixlib=rb-2.0.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1531252106&auto=format&gif-q=50&lossless=true&s=10aa1fdc7c03ab09a7fcffc56fe6ed680690ad87fe92ce58dfdbd70faefa3dd5_original.png?ixlib=rb-2.0.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1531259688&auto=format&gif-q=50&lossless=true&s=eb7486651ec6a0b1f9f70a92032b028ca4633fa2ed99a0b165d0d38145349001_original.png?ixlib=rb-2.0.0&w=680&fit=max&v=1530865913&auto=format&gif-q=50&lossless=true&s=11fff608491e3a8b3828b190ae581366ea8874d0d5eba349899b9eccb9ad6b3f_original.png?ixlib=rb-2.0.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1531504910&auto=format&gif-q=50&lossless=true&s=ff86dc38fc3379e8fad6b9343fe3fe8beedebba306f4b8fb3915ee99ed97bb96_original.png?ixlib=rb-2.0.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1531256360&auto=format&gif-q=50&lossless=true&s=708630b714ae081bce2877cfcd94dfeeb1191accb9038677dbe6a8d1babb9193_original.png?ixlib=rb-2.0.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1531745465&auto=format&gif-q=50&lossless=true&s=a307083350fc513df5c6308076ad7c7a

I once again think, with the new Jumanji Trailer out today, that there is room for a new Adventure theme. 

Even if it is something more akin to the popular collecting things feature that many themes have now. 

A ruin based selection of sets with traps to trigger and: Puzzles to solve! Even a simple mechanism built in that would allow you to solve a puzzle and find treasure would be a fun and unique way to sell the sets. This would also set it apart from the recent Jungle Explorers City sets if it was jungle themed, or it would set it apart from Ninjago if we had something more Asian themed.

2 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

I once again think, with the new Jumanji Trailer out today, that there is room for a new Adventure theme. 

Even if it is something more akin to the popular collecting things feature that many themes have now. 

A ruin based selection of sets with traps to trigger and: Puzzles to solve! Even a simple mechanism built in that would allow you to solve a puzzle and find treasure would be a fun and unique way to sell the sets. This would also set it apart from the recent Jungle Explorers City sets if it was jungle themed, or it would set it apart from Ninjago if we had something more Asian themed.

Much like this upcoming third installment, I'd be cool if the next "Adventurers" theme were to not just be limited to only a single location for each individual wave, rather including multiple different locations from around the world from playset-to-playset within each wave, with the theme's protagonists in search of a series of interlinked artifacts scattered across the globe within the ruins of a wide variety of ancient cultures. In short, it'd truly be a globetrotting adventure! :classic:

On 7/2/2019 at 3:30 PM, Peppermint_M said:

Well, if you need Dwayne Johnson to give Lego further justification for there to be a new Adventurers theme... :wink:

Well, I posted my idea yesterday here, but I would like to repeat it in this thread (thanks to @Digger of Brickswho draw my attention to this thread) as this might be the more suitable place:

As a new theme I could very well imagine an in-house detective theme (no licensed theme) based on the ideas of Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot (I don't know if this has been proposed by somebody on EB earlier). Set in the 1920s and 1930s (post-WW I, Roaring Twenties and Art déco) it could have four good guys:

1. the private detective or investigator (aka Hercule Poirot with torso and bowler)
  2. his side-kick (aka Captain Hastings)
  3. his brave secretary (aka Miss Lemon)
  4. a police inspector

The CMF-constable could be re-used.

The villains (say 6 minifigs) would differ from set to set but would have one "gangster boss".

We would see cars, planes and perhaps motorboats of that period.

(Ok, I have to admit that there are some similarities to Monster Fighters ... but it would be a real life detective theme, no phantasy).

Edited by The Reader

3 hours ago, The Reader said:

Ok, I have to admit that there are some similarities to Monster Fighters ... but it would be a real life detective theme, no phantasy

Well, as I've expressed here earlier, I myself would still be terribly thrilled by a post-WWI detective theme that'd essentially be Monster Fighters 2.0 with a more of a Pulp/Noir/Lovecraftian flavor... :oh:

richard-wright-cthulhu-monster-truck.jpg?1537792329

Edited by Digger of Bricks

On 2/7/2020 at 8:03 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, as I've expressed here earlier, I myself would still be terribly thrilled by a post-WWI detective theme that'd essentially be Monster Fighters 2.0 with a more of a Pulp/Noir/Lovecraftian flavor... :oh:

richard-wright-cthulhu-monster-truck.jpg?1537792329

That would be awesome.