Peppermint_M

Future Action and Adventure Themes

1 hour ago, icm said:

A very successful sci-fi rescue theme could then be a rehearsal for a Thunderbirds theme, if that franchise had suitable longevity and wide appeal - but I'm not counting on it.

Huh, I wasn't even thinking of Thunderbirds at the time when I proposed that idea; but yeah, I do suppose that could be a source of inspiration for such an action theme.

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

Still, an original sci-fi rescue theme could be pretty cool.

Though it wasn't Sci-fi in any way, probably the closest Lego has ever gotten to such an action theme was with Town's 1998 subtheme Res-Q.

1 hour ago, Nexogeek said:

A Steampunk theme has to be one of my top themes I wish Lego would do especially if we got a nice looking train and maybe a decent size building and a smaller building (similar to this ideas project https://ideas.lego.com/projects/4da33379-1474-4db8-9fdc-6e51f36ec344) That ideas project might not be that big and doesn't seem like it has a chance but if it did make it to 10k it would show Lego the demand is there along with it being small and cheaper to make with zero licencing issues ideal for approval. A theme along the steampunk idea could have a ratrod style car, a train, a large building, a smaller structure, some kind of aircraft. 

I'll always remember this one Steampunk themed Ideas project that existed way back when the site was still CUUSOO. Although for some reason I can't find the project anywhere on Ideas currently, The Adventures of Steamrod was a really impressive concept for a Steampunk theme, which was a sort of Retrofuturistic Victoriana reimagining of Lego's Adventurers line. It had both a really impressive Locomotive and a steam powered fighter plane!

Spoiler
The Adventures of Steamrod!

But you know, since we were on the discussions of both Steampunk and Aquazone, a fusion of those two is the next direction I really want to see the next submarine action theme take! Imagine something in the vein of both Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire:sweet:

I still remain astonished that we have not seen a story based Space Pirates theme. The closest we came was Space Police III. I think we are overdue for an Underwater Adventure Theme as well. Also given that Nexo Knights is ending a wave early, I would not rule out a quick one and done placeholder like we got with Monster Fighters to fill the space. Maybe something like a “Kailua Fighters” Theme? Brick built/construction giant monsters and a team of heroes using tech vehicles and mecha to capture or combat them? That would seem to find a good sweet spot in the pop culture kiddy zeitgeist given the string of Godzilla, Kong, Pacific Rim And Now Rampage movies. 

26 minutes ago, Faefrost said:

I still remain astonished that we have not seen a story based Space Pirates theme. The closest we came was Space Police III. 

I'd totally be up for a Space Pirates theme myself too, just as long as it doesn't turn out like this:hmpf:

I think we are overdue for an Underwater Adventure Theme as well. 

If anything, I believe we'll see a return to underground action themes like Power Miners before a new underwater one, as Power Miners debuted a year before the last Aquazone theme, Atlantis, did.

Also given that Nexo Knights is ending a wave early, I would not rule out a quick one and done placeholder like we got with Monster Fighters to fill the space.

I do miss the smaller scale action/adventure lines, as the last one we ever saw debut was 2014's Ultra Agents:sad:

Maybe something like a “Kailua Fighters” Theme? Brick built/construction giant monsters and a team of heroes using tech vehicles and mecha to capture or combat them? That would seem to find a good sweet spot in the pop culture kiddy zeitgeist given the string of Godzilla, Kong, Pacific Rim And Now Rampage movies. 

Unless we see the Ninjago theme take a shot at this genre for a wave, this is a possibility I really want to see happen, and the prevalence of the genre in many currently relevant cinematic franchises (like the ones you just mentioned) just might push Lego towards that direction. :purrr:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

44 minutes ago, Faefrost said:

I still remain astonished that we have not seen a story based Space Pirates theme. The closest we came was Space Police III. I think we are overdue for an Underwater Adventure Theme as well. Also given that Nexo Knights is ending a wave early, I would not rule out a quick one and done placeholder like we got with Monster Fighters to fill the space. Maybe something like a “Kailua Fighters” Theme? Brick built/construction giant monsters and a team of heroes using tech vehicles and mecha to capture or combat them? That would seem to find a good sweet spot in the pop culture kiddy zeitgeist given the string of Godzilla, Kong, Pacific Rim And Now Rampage movies. 

Unlikely that a one-off theme would replace Nexo. Given that the wave in question that was cancelled was for this summer, we would have heard about a fill in theme by now.

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Though it wasn't Sci-fi in any way, probably the closest Lego has ever gotten to such an action theme was with Town's 1998 subtheme Res-Q.

I'll always remember this one Steampunk themed Ideas project that existed way back when the site was still CUUSOO. Although for some reason I can't find the project anywhere on Ideas currently, The Adventures of Steamrod was a really impressive concept for a Steampunk theme, which was a sort of Retrofuturistic Victoriana reimagining of Lego's Adventurers line. It had both a really impressive Locomotive and a steam powered fighter plane!

Reveal hidden contents

The Adventures of Steamrod!

But you know, since we were on the discussions of both Steampunk and Aquazone, a fusion of those two is the next direction I really want to see the next submarine action theme take! Imagine something in the vein of both Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire:sweet:

Wow that locomotive and fighter plane look amazing, if only Lego would do a steampunk theme.... and an aquazone meets steampunk theme would be pretty cool! I wouldn't even mind if we got steampunk buildings along the line of the creator 3 in 1 size just something would be nice

8 minutes ago, Nexogeek said:

Wow that locomotive and fighter plane look amazing, if only Lego would do a steampunk theme.... and an aquazone meets steampunk theme would be pretty cool!

Even better, a complete Steampunk reimagining of the Adventurers theme, with a new horizon to explore every year, from the depths of the ocean to bowels of the earth towards the moon and back! In other words, an all-out Jules Verne inspired action/adventure theme! :snicker:

13 minutes ago, Nexogeek said:

I wouldn't even mind if we got steampunk buildings along the line of the creator 3 in 1 size just something would be nice

Certainly, as the inventive, tinkering elements of the Steampunk genre are an absolutely perfect fit for a multi-build type theme such as Creator! Just think of all the possibilities for themed Inventor's part packs and contraption-type sets! Come to think of it, regarding that last suggestion, perhaps the Steampunk genre would find a home within the Technic theme too! :oh3:

1 minute ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Even better, a complete Steampunk reimagining of the Adventurers theme, with a new horizon to explore every year, from the depths of the ocean to bowels of the earth towards the moon and back! In other words, an all-out Jules Verne inspired action/adventure theme! :snicker:

That would be perfect everything from steampunk planes, trains, cars, trucks, shapeships, underwater craft, buildings oh how that could go so far and last 

2 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Certainly, as the inventive, tinkering elements of the Steampunk genre are an absolutely perfect fit for a multi-build type theme such as Creator! Just think of all the possibilities for themed Inventor's part packs and contraption-type sets! Come to think of it, regarding that last suggestion, perhaps the Steampunk genre would find a home within the Technic theme too! :oh3:

They could do classic style brick boxes for people to be creative on their own within a steampunk style theme (heck unikitty is getting a brick box) While i agree with technic also being a great place for steampunk i'd hope they explore the genre in system first with technic within those

3 minutes ago, Nexogeek said:

That would be perfect everything from steampunk planes, trains, cars, trucks, shapeships, underwater craft, buildings oh how that could go so far and last 

Nautilus-styled submarines, Zeppelin-like airships, steam powered drillpods, clankering mecha, motorized penny-farthings, brass polished rocketcraft... :moar:

7 minutes ago, Nexogeek said:

They could do classic style brick boxes for people to be creative on their own within a steampunk style theme (heck unikitty is getting a brick box) 

Indeed, as they certainly would be the most elegantly colored brick packs you've ever seen! As you must know, many fans mutter about the lack of more mature colored part packs, so a Steampunk themed one would supply you with much Reddish Brown, Dark Brown, Pearl Gold, Copper Metallic, Earth Blue, Earth Green, Dark Red, Dark Purple... :grin_wub:

13 minutes ago, Nexogeek said:

While i agree with technic also being a great place for steampunk i'd hope they explore the genre in system first with technic within those

Sure, but Technic too would be great, as it would supply many builders with gears and other technical parts in metallic recolors. Just think of all the Pearl Gold and Copper Metallic gear recolors in so many different shapes and sizes! 

12 hours ago, icm said:

A lot of early sci-fi/action themes seem to have acted as rehearsals or practice runs for later licensed themes: "Look at Johnny Thunder! You can trust us with Indiana Jones!"

I've always thought there was something like this going on as well.

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I do miss the smaller scale action/adventure lines, as the last one we ever saw debut was 2014's Ultra Agents:sad:

I think that was a full-blown theme that ended early due to poor sales, but I may be mistaken.

As far as steampunk goes, designer Mark Stafford has stated on EB last year that steampunk hasn't performed well when TLG tests new concepts with kids, which is a shame. He goes on to explain that it's because for steampunk to work, you have to be able to appreciate the mash-up of old and new, which to many kids comes off as 'stupid' because they don't have that contextual understanding.

14 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

perhaps the Steampunk genre would find a home within the Technic theme too!

I suppose, since Technic is a product line usually aimed at older-aged kids or teens, that it could happen. But, I have to remind myself that the target age for Nexo Knights (which had started the whole conversation I linked to above) is also older kids and teens, i.e. 8-14. Even if TLG did decide to produce steampunk through Technic, I doubt they would give it more than 1 or 2 one-off sets, since it is such a niche genre.

It would be awesome though.

I would also love a MF revisit at some point in the near future. I had just emerged from my dark age when that theme came out and I missed it.

Edited by rodiziorobs

I was just sharing an idea on this topic for action/adventure themes who's main characters would be of well known, public domain mythological/literary characters, such as Sherlock Holmes, Zorro, King Arthur, Hercules, Captain Nemo, Van Helsing, and so on. How would you feel about such an idea, and do you think there would be kids who would be interested in such themes if their characters aren't completely original, even if the theme's storyline was?

1 hour ago, rodiziorobs said:

As far as steampunk goes, designer Mark Stafford has stated on EB last year that steampunk hasn't performed well when TLG tests new concepts with kids, which is a shame. He goes on to explain that it's because for steampunk to work, you have to be able to appreciate the mash-up of old and new, which to many kids comes off as 'stupid' because they don't have that contextual understanding.

I know, as both you and I have brought up that revelation of Mark's on this topic before; but, we still can lament and dream of such a line, as it would be filled to the brim with such infinite possibilities.

Even if TLG did decide to produce steampunk through Technic, I doubt they would give it more than 1 or 2 one-off sets, since it is such a niche genre.

Well, one or two sets would be all I'd expect from Technic, and good enough if they'd only try it. 

I would also love a MF revisit at some point in the near future. I had just emerged from my dark age when that theme came out and I missed it.

Somewhat like I had proposed above, maybe a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen-like approach could be the way to go with such a revisitation, with literary characters like Van Helsing, Sherlock Holmes, Tarzan (a.k.a. Lord Greystroke), Captain Nemo, and such filling the heroes ranks as opposed to original characters.

10 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I know, as both you and I have brought up that revelation of Mark's on this topic before

Oh that's embarrassing. I suppose I should keep better track of what I've already posted in the future. Some newb will come across this thread (and probably several others) and think, "man this rodiz guy repeats himself All. The. Time." :look:

Some public domain characters would be a rich source for Action/Adventure themes, but honestly I would rather TLG put out their own stories and concepts that were reminiscent of those without actually being them. Kind of like how CMFs are named things like Ocean King or Egyptian Queen rather than Poseidon or Cleopatra. Let's see some themes built off of those known concepts, but without having to fuss with name dropping or getting the mythology/literature 100% accurate. Would it appeal more to kids that way? I dunno.

Edited by rodiziorobs

9 hours ago, rodiziorobs said:

Oh that's embarrassing. I suppose I should keep better track of what I've already posted in the future. Some newb will come across this thread (and probably several others) and think, "man this rodiz guy repeats himself All. The. Time." :look:

Nah, you know what, many newbies probably don't look over the topic's older content until much later perhaps, so it doesn't hurt at all I think to bring those revelations up again. Same with revisiting old ideas proposed here earlier, as it refreshes the discussion for those who are new on the block. 

Though I'm sure he's most busy, I sure do wish Mark were around more often. :sad:

12 hours ago, rodiziorobs said:

I would rather TLG put out their own stories and concepts that were reminiscent of those without actually being them.

Same here.  Even if they are in the public domain, it would feel like a licensed theme...

23 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I was just sharing an idea on this topic for action/adventure themes who's main characters would be of well known, public domain mythological/literary characters, such as Sherlock Holmes, Zorro, King Arthur, Hercules, Captain Nemo, Van Helsing, and so on. How would you feel about such an idea, and do you think there would be kids who would be interested in such themes if their characters aren't completely original, even if the theme's storyline was?

I know, as both you and I have brought up that revelation of Mark's on this topic before; but, we still can lament and dream of such a line, as it would be filled to the brim with such infinite possibilities.

Well, one or two sets would be all I'd expect from Technic, and good enough if they'd only try it. 

Somewhat like I had proposed above, maybe a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen-like approach could be the way to go with such a revisitation, with literary characters like Van Helsing, Sherlock Holmes, Tarzan (a.k.a. Lord Greystroke), Captain Nemo, and such filling the heroes ranks as opposed to original characters.

I think there are a number of challenges that sort of theme presents.

Firstly, if you use existing literary or mythological characters, you get into an issue where many myths and literary works are less of a brand fit as a whole than they would first appear. Greek myths and Arthurian legend, for instance, have quite a few elements that are less kid-friendly than most of Lego's output. Additionally, even public domain characters that AREN'T inappropriate for children might become such with a high-profile adaptation (this risk is amplified most with less well-known characters, since there's more chance of a single new adaptation's take on the character becoming the culturally dominant take). This is probably a significant part of why Lego tends to opt for original characters (or completely unnamed characters in the case of some historic themes). It eliminates almost all such risk by focusing on characters wholly created and owned under Lego's watchful eye.

Secondly, cohesion becomes an issue if you're drawing from such a wide range of subject matter. A League of Extraordinary Gentlemen-type theme gets into some of the issues that Steampunk has—a lot of kids will not be familiar with the source material, characters, or even archetypes. And without that, it can become much harder to tie the figures and sets together in a way that they will make sense to the target audience as a group. A theme like Monster Fighters, with a narrower focus, is a safer bet—kids are well aware of the sort of monster archetypes that theme used and it's easy to see enough commonality to view them as a "faction" of sorts (especially framed in opposition to a completely original cast of monster hunters).

19 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Firstly, if you use existing literary or mythological characters, you get into an issue where many myths and literary works are less of a brand fit as a whole than they would first appear. Greek myths and Arthurian legend, for instance, have quite a few elements that are less kid-friendly than most of Lego's output. Additionally, even public domain characters that AREN'T inappropriate for children might become such with a high-profile adaptation (this risk is amplified most with less well-known characters, since there's more chance of a single new adaptation's take on the character becoming the culturally dominant take). This is probably a significant part of why Lego tends to opt for original characters (or completely unnamed characters in the case of some historic themes). It eliminates almost all such risk by focusing on characters wholly created and owned under Lego's watchful eye.

Well, particularly, I was thinking that maybe Lego could invent their own signature take on whichever literary character they may chose. When you think of an original invention like Johnny Thunder, sure you may immediately think of Indiana Jones, but both represent an archetype that the latter doesn't necessarily have complete dibs on. I'm primarily wondering if some archetypes are too thoroughly enmeshed with a particular character to be separated from for the invention of original character, therefore the necessity of banking on a particular preexisting named character for depicting that archetype.

20 hours ago, Lyichir said:

A theme like Monster Fighters, with a narrower focus, is a safer bet—kids are well aware of the sort of monster archetypes that theme used and it's easy to see enough commonality to view them as a "faction" of sorts (especially framed in opposition to a completely original cast of monster hunters).

Besides the hunter character, did any of the other heroes of that theme take after any well known literary/pop culture figures and/or archetypes? The younger guy of the group had a sort of 1950's American vibe, but who and what he for instance was inspired after I don't know.

On 2/14/2018 at 12:46 PM, Lyichir said:

I think there are a number of challenges that sort of theme presents.

Secondly, cohesion becomes an issue if you're drawing from such a wide range of subject matter. A League of Extraordinary Gentlemen-type theme gets into some of the issues that Steampunk has—a lot of kids will not be familiar with the source material, characters, or even archetypes. And without that, it can become much harder to tie the figures and sets together in a way that they will make sense to the target audience as a group. A theme like Monster Fighters, with a narrower focus, is a safer bet—kids are well aware of the sort of monster archetypes that theme used and it's easy to see enough commonality to view them as a "faction" of sorts (especially framed in opposition to a completely original cast of monster hunters).

They have found that “Literary” Type themes seem to attract an older consumer and audience then they intend. Harry Potter, LotR etc. Sherlock Holmes would similarly do so unless attached to some modern kid friendly media incarnation. The age appropriateness of the classic myths is less an issue thanks to the Zdisneyfication of everything. But anything involving time or genre hopping would be a mess. Remember Time Cruisers? And anything that gets close to League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen in tone and mash up risks pointing to that source material. Which other than the horrid movie is wildly not kid friendly. Horrifically so. Bordering on fetish porn in places. 

And let’s be honest with ourselves. As much as we here want a theme that has Sherlock Holmes hunting down the bad guy knifing hookers in Victorian England, I’m thinking it might not play as well with the kids or parents. Right up there with the Les Miserables Theme. 

We may see some opening for a return of Johnny Thunder style Adventurers for a bit. The Rock movies like Jumanji are doing well. The biggest question would be where to send him that doesn’t trigger the outrage brigade shrieking about colonialism, racism and cultural oppression? (“In our latest action theme, Johnny Thunder in Boise Idaho!” See the fun as he rides a tractor into adventure!”) 

On 2/15/2018 at 9:00 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Besides the hunter character, did any of the other heroes of that theme take after any well known literary/pop culture figures and/or archetypes? The younger guy of the group had a sort of 1950's American vibe, but who and what he for instance was inspired after I don't know.

I think the younger guy was a sort of fun homage to Ash from the Evil Dead movies. 

6 minutes ago, Faefrost said:

And let’s be honest with ourselves. As much as we here want a theme that has Sherlock Holmes hunting down the bad guy knifing hookers in Victorian England, I’m thinking it might not play as well with the kids or parents. Right up there with the Les Miserables Theme.

This part of your comment put a huge smile on my face, so thank you. :sweet:

8 hours ago, Faefrost said:

They have found that “Literary” Type themes seem to attract an older consumer and audience then they intend. Harry Potter, LotR etc. Sherlock Holmes would similarly do so unless attached to some modern kid friendly media incarnation. The age appropriateness of the classic myths is less an issue thanks to the Zdisneyfication of everything

Well, much like Disney, Lego could introduce their own take on these literary figures, setting them within a roughly inspired storyline and modifying some of the particular character's attributes to make them more appealing to Lego's core audience. But if that means Ninjago-ing the whole thing, then forget about it.

But anything involving time or genre hopping would be a mess. Remember Time Cruisers?

But like everything, once tried and failed doesn't at all prove that the whole concept in essence will never work, as it would take at least one other attempt with a different angle of execution to prove whether or not that may be true.

And anything that gets close to League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen in tone and mash up risks pointing to that source material. Which other than the horrid movie is wildly not kid friendly. Horrifically so. Bordering on fetish porn in places.

Well, thanks for summing that movie up, as I've always been intrigued with the film's concept, but have put off watching it due to it's poor Rotten Tomatoes score. :sceptic:

But seriously, do you really think that concept is still very much tainted by that movie even fourteen years later? Is it still that prevalent in the public consciousness?

We may see some opening for a return of Johnny Thunder style Adventurers for a bit. The Rock movies like Jumanji are doing well. The biggest question would be where to send him that doesn’t trigger the outrage brigade shrieking about colonialism, racism and cultural oppression? 

Simple. Still give the heroes voyages to locations like Peru or the Amazonian jungle, but have them defend its native populations from the schemes and conquests of evil lords/barons or supernatural entities. Think of storyline plots like as seen in James Cameron's Avatar or Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire.

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, much like Disney, Lego could introduce their own take on these literary figures, setting them within a roughly inspired storyline and modifying some of the particular character's attributes to make them more appealing to Lego's core audience. But if that means Ninjago-ing the whole thing, then forget about it.

But like everything, once tried and failed doesn't at all prove that the whole concept in essence will never work, as it would take at least one other attempt with a different angle of execution to prove whether or not that may be true.

Well, thanks for summing that movie up, as I've always been intrigued with the film's concept, but have put off watching it due to it's poor Rotten Tomatoes score. :sceptic:

But seriously, do you really think that concept is still very much tainted by that movie even fourteen years later? Is it still that prevalent in the public consciousness?

Simple. Still give the heroes voyages to locations like Peru or the Amazonian jungle, but have them defend its native populations from the schemes and conquests of evil lords/barons or supernatural entities. Think of storyline plots like as seen in James Cameron's Avatar or Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie is simply dull, stupid and plotless. However the Alan Moore comics that it is based on, while being excellent comic stories bordering on must read, are very much a Hard R bordering on NC-17. That's where the fetish porn lies. (Not joking about that. One of the volumes, the Black Dossier I believe is pretty much wall to wall nothing but fetish porn. Intentionally so.) 

So it appears we will not be getting a new castle theme for a while. A lego designer here on eurobricks was asked about this and responded: “True castle theme eh? You could be waiting as long as the space theme fans!” It seems Harry Potter is taking over the castle theme like how Star Wars did for space 

It seems on the surface to mean that, but it's purely conjecture at this point to extrapolate anything from his comment.

I have been summoned by @Digger of Bricks to extrapolate on an idea of mine regarding an action/adventure theme based around Atompunk/50's sci-fi monster movies. 

At the basic level, it is similar to an updated Monster Fighters line, with less of a vehicular focus, as most of the bricks will go to building big monsters like blobs or mutated insects. To contrast with the hardened hunters of MF and Adventurers, the heroes will be archetypes of the 50's, thrust into extraordinary circumstances. My prospective team so far is:

• Teenage poodle skirt daughter with big ray gun
  • Ice Cream Man
  • Gray Alien (think Classic Alien CMF) attempting to blend in
  • Fusion of the Standard 50's Father and Mad scientist.

Antagonistic forces beyond giant monsters feature characters like Gillman, the Fly, and the MIBs (Which are a good source of vehicles).

As a bonus, terrified bystanders will be an excellent source for new 50's hairstyles and prints.

Edited by Nerd-with-a-Pencil

1 hour ago, Nerd-with-a-Pencil said:

I have been summoned by @Digger of Bricks to extrapolate on an idea of mine regarding an action/adventure theme based around Atompunk/50's sci-fi monster movies. 

Wow. I really could see an action theme like this happening, as it's practically Scooby-Doo meets 1950's B-movies! It's just brimming with possibilities that I feel could give this line a long life, and there are so many character possibilities beyond the few excellent archetypes you have presented! I like how the construction focus would be centered on the creatures, much like recent Aquazone themes such as Aqua Raiders and Atlantis; and the inclusion of secret agency MIB types... :thumbup: :grin:

Seriously, what could stop Lego from doing a theme like this?! :excited:

1 hour ago, Nerd-with-a-Pencil said:

As a bonus, terrified bystanders will be an excellent source for new 50's hairstyles and prints.

Well, who can argue with that? :thumbup: :smug:

58 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I really could see an action theme like this happening, as it's practically Scooby-Doo meets 1950's B-movies!

I even have a storyline set up; though given it was originally meant to be an Earthbound fan game, it might be a bit too subversive and deep for LEGO.