Peppermint_M

Future Action and Adventure Themes

16 hours ago, Robert8 said:

So, there will be a new theme to replace Nexo Knights

Is it being officially discontinued then? This rumor has been thrown around so many times since Day 1 of the theme's release that I don't believe it.

Just now, rodiziorobs said:

Is it being officially discontinued then? This rumor has been thrown around so many times since Day 1 of the theme's release that I don't believe it.

No, there has not yet really been any tangible evidence to confirm that now.

You'll have to look back at the recent activity on the 2018 Nexo Knights topic to see how that discussion has come up again.

On 12/24/2017 at 11:52 PM, Robert8 said:

So, there will be a new theme to replace Nexo Knights

Any guesses?

PLEASE LEGO, bring back Adventurers

As @Digger of Bricks has said already, I think a Pirate-based Big Bang would be a good choice. Lego could take that concept lots of directions and it would be a good way to breathe some life back into a dead theme. Also, it wouldn't interfere with a new regular Castle theme *intensely crosses fingers*

The cynic in me is saying "Yeah, make the Pirate fans go through the same thing us Castle fans had to endure with some crazy mash-up Nexo Pirates theme."

But the nice guy in me is saying "Bring back Castle, Space, and Pirates, and make the next Big Bang theme something else completely."

On 12/26/2017 at 9:44 PM, BrickJagger said:

As @Digger of Bricks has said already, I think a Pirate-based Big Bang would be a good choice. Lego could take that concept lots of directions and it would be a good way to breathe some life back into a dead theme.

In 2019, it will after all be the theme's thirtieth anniversary, so perhaps it could be? :shrug_oh_well:

On 12/27/2017 at 4:26 AM, x105Black said:

The cynic in me is saying "Yeah, make the Pirate fans go through the same thing us Castle fans had to endure with some crazy mash-up Nexo Pirates theme."

But, like I was arguing on the Future Pirates Speculation topic, such a theme doesn't have to be a mesh of historical material and futuristic "smartphone" technology. Instead, go the direction of Steampunk/Clockpunk/DaVinci-Punk technologies instead, giving the theme a highly stylized Renaissance vibe, as opposed to, for instance, lazily sticking modern fighter jets and tanks into a medieval ninja theme.

Edited by Digger of Bricks

On 24/06/2017 at 9:38 PM, ZORK64 said:

Speaking of "Friends in Space", IIRC there was theorizing once about how the figs from LEGO Friends (what are they actually called? Dolls? Dollfigs?) would work great for something like EXO Force due to how more animesque they look.

Something in the style of Gundam with those dolls as pilots could be pretty cool I think. And yes, part of me wants something like Gundam because my interest in constraction shifts more and more towards brick-built robots instead of CCBS, and I would love to see more parts for use with the Mixel Balljoints.

They're properly referred to as 'mini-dolls'. With the dash and everything. Not sure why, that's just how it is. 

On 24/06/2017 at 2:18 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

I would really like to see a Jaeger vs Kaiju reboot of Exoforce (similar to 2013's Pacific Rim) focused on a Jaeger squad battling large, brick built Kaiju, and both sides' builds would have Technic geared mechanics to to manually throw punches, much like Rock Em, Sock Em but much more mechanically complex. The only thing is, any chance of another Japanese styled action theme being done by Lego is somewhat hindered by Ninjago.

Oh, yes. As a cryptozoologist I am personally opposed to the idea of giant animals being portrayed as necessarily villains (King Kong much?), but I love the idea of Lego Kaijus and Jaegers too much to pass this up. 

Plus, there's historical precedent, in the old ExoForce theme. They'd just have to strip out all the Japanese stuff and redesign the builds with modern parts and techniques. (Also change up the bad guys, but that goes without saying.)

While I think that my eariler proposal on this topic for a Dieselpunk/Sky-Fi inspired Adventurers theme would be more plausibly viable, here's another idea I've thought of for a Sky-Fi inspired action/adventure theme.

How about a Dieselpunk/Sky-Fi take on Lego's traditional Pirates theme, focused upon a band of vigilante aviators who hunt and capture marauding sky pirates, making up for the lagging work of an otherwise incompetent Royal Air Navy. Alongside the traditional Pirates theme, I'm also drawing inspiration from the Crimson Skies game franchise, except the theme's heroes wouldn't be the sky pirates in this case.

11 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Oh, yes. As a cryptozoologist I am personally opposed to the idea of giant animals being portrayed as necessarily villains (King Kong much?), but I love the idea of Lego Kaijus and Jaegers too much to pass this up. 

Plus, there's historical precedent, in the old ExoForce theme. They'd just have to strip out all the Japanese stuff and redesign the builds with modern parts and techniques. (Also change up the bad guys, but that goes without saying.)

Well, even though you could completely omit any Japanese styling or influences from such a theme, the whole "giant robot vs. monster" genre is already most heavily associated with Japanese pop culture. 

Instead, I think the best we could hope for would be a wave of Ninjago sets inspired after that genre, where the theme's usual medieval influences would be stripped and take more after the original Exo Force theme, only this time making the ninjas' adversaries Japanese dragon inspired kaiju instead of robot insurrectionists.

I think Lego should make a Pirates theme in the style of Pirates of the Caribbean (meaning darker colors and more realistic builds) but their own IP.

On 1/16/2018 at 7:02 PM, Dr.Cogg said:

I think Lego should make a Pirates theme in the style of Pirates of the Caribbean (meaning darker colors and more realistic builds) but their own IP.

I'd be into that.

On 17/01/2018 at 11:02 AM, Dr.Cogg said:

7 hours ago, x105Black said:

I'd be into that.

Oh, yes. I'd love some good pirate ship builds. As much as I hate to mention a clone brand here, maybe they could take some cues from Enlighten's 'Legendary Pirates' series, which for the most part is pretty good, both in terms of originality and quality. The minifigures don't stack up, more's the pity, but I got a couple of the sets all the same and they're pretty good. So I'd love to see Lego do something similar. 

The only two times we've ever seen subterranean action themes were with the Rock Raiders and Power Miner themes, and both of them shared the same type of storyline goal and adversary.

So, instead of miners seeking a power source only to be faced with rock monsters, how about an underground action theme focused upon a team of deep earth miners who discover a cavern inhabiting the ruins of a bygone subterranean civilization, only to find out that their mining activity has unsettled the cavern's structural integrity. In a race against time, the miners start a salvage operation to save and document the former city's artifacts before the collapse of the cavern, all the while fending off the cavern's other inhabitants, giant mutant moles and other monstrous burrowing insects specifically.

On 1/16/2018 at 6:02 PM, Dr.Cogg said:

While I can see that happening, I don't think that Lego would ever do an in-house historical theme quite as dark as Pirates of the Caribbean, only slightly more grittier than their previous offerings. I think the same could be said for Castle, where maybe 2007's Castle theme is as dark as Lego would ever take such a in-house theme, never completely going over into Lord of the Rings territory atmospherically.

There is two ideas for action and adventure themes 

One being a theme similar to power miners but in space, being a massive fan of power miners when i was a kid, and even still am seeing a theme close to it would be nice but to switch things up they could do it in space and have to fight off some kind of alien kinda like how there were rock monsters. The color scheme would look nice in the orange/yellow of the jungle subtheme of city, much like the CMF space miner. As for sets they could do a huge base with a wash plant for the crystals. 

The other idea i had is some time of travel theme, both across Earth and time. The theme could have a tv show and it be a small group of explorers, they could go to Egypt, Rome, Africa, jungles, both in modern time and ancient. For the sets a larger vehicle that could time travel in universe and deploy a small 4x4 and dirt bikes, then other sets could be location based 

On 21.1.2018 at 7:49 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

The only two times we've ever seen subterranean action themes were with the Rock Raiders and Power Miner themes, and both of them shared the same type of storyline goal and adversary.

So, instead of miners seeking a power source only to be faced with rock monsters, how about an underground action theme focused upon a team of deep earth miners who discover a cavern inhabiting the ruins of a bygone subterranean civilization, only to find out that their mining activity has unsettled the cavern's structural integrity. In a race against time, the miners start a salvage operation to save and document the former city's artifacts before the collapse of the cavern, all the while fending off the cavern's other inhabitants, giant mutant moles and other monstrous burrowing insects specifically.

On 1.2.2018 at 2:18 AM, Nexogeek said:

One being a theme similar to power miners but in space, being a massive fan of power miners when i was a kid, and even still am seeing a theme close to it would be nice but to switch things up they could do it in space and have to fight off some kind of alien kinda like how there were rock monsters. The color scheme would look nice in the orange/yellow of the jungle subtheme of city, much like the CMF space miner. As for sets they could do a huge base with a wash plant for the crystals.

Both of these ideas sound pretty intriguing, even though I somehow never really got into Power Miners back then.

While I can see that happening, I don't think that Lego would ever do an in-house historical theme quite as dark as Pirates of the Caribbean, only slightly more grittier than their previous offerings. I think the same could be said for Castle, where maybe 2007's Castle theme is as dark as Lego would ever take such a in-house theme, never completely going over into Lord of the Rings territory atmospherically.

I agree on this. Personally, I'm fine with LEGO keeping their own themes brighter than the licensed ones anyway.

On 1/31/2018 at 7:18 PM, Nexogeek said:

Yes, I do strongly think that the next underground mining action/adventure theme should go into space, and visa versa. Just make it more like a Space theme though, not just in name only.

On 1/31/2018 at 7:18 PM, Nexogeek said:

The other idea i had is some time of travel theme, both across Earth and time. The theme could have a tv show and it be a small group of explorers, they could go to Egypt, Rome, Africa, jungles, both in modern time and ancient. For the sets a larger vehicle that could time travel in universe and deploy a small 4x4 and dirt bikes, then other sets could be location based 

As long as it doesn't turn out like Time Cruisers/Time Twisters, I'd totally be up for a time travel centric theme, especially when you consider that many of those historical settings such a theme would touch upon couldn't be viable as a standalone theme to begin with. It'd definitely be an action theme that historical fans would very much be invested in.

On 2/10/2018 at 8:53 AM, ZORK64 said:

I agree on this. Personally, I'm fine with LEGO keeping their own themes brighter than the licensed ones anyway.

Same here, so I feel it's good when we see licensed themes like that to satisfy those who desire a much more darker aesthetic, as so to keep those in-house themes' heritage intact.

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Same here, so I feel it's good when we see licensed themes like that to satisfy those who desire a much more darker aesthetic, as so to keep those in-house themes' heritage intact.

I disagree, because I love the classic generic themes, but crave a more subdued, less flashy color scheme.  And it'd be nice if I didn't have to keep swapping the arms or other parts of my minifigures.

3 minutes ago, x105Black said:

I disagree, because I love the classic generic themes, but crave a more subdued, less flashy color scheme.  And it'd be nice if I didn't have to keep swapping the arms or other parts of my minifigures.

Well 2007's Castle for instance was pretty close, at least as close as I wish to see an in-house theme get, as I don't think Lego's original themes should get too much akin to say Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit and Pirates of the Caribbean.

But then again, there was that board game subtheme Heroica, so I suppose my point may be null. :shrug_confused:

10 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I don't think Lego's original themes should get too much akin to say Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit and Pirates of the Caribbean.

That's exactly what I want.

On 2/10/2018 at 8:53 AM, ZORK64 said:

Both of these ideas sound pretty intriguing, even though I somehow never really got into Power Miners back then.

Another idea for an underground fusion theme could be for a mesh of Aquazone-type themes and Power Miners/Rock Raiders. Essentially, it would be an action/adventure theme focused upon a submersible mining crew, perhaps in a race against time to defuse a burgeoning supervolcano which threatens to bring about a global environmental catastrophe. The cool thing about such a theme is that its antagonist would be the volcano itself, as opposed to minifigure baddies/sea monsters. But, would such an action theme be successful if it did lack those minifigure adversaries?

14 hours ago, x105Black said:

That's exactly what I want.

You know, come to think of it, Lego has had its share of many "darker" themes; for instance, Bionicle and Monster Fighters come to mind. But, do I want to see more themes of that nature?

At least the latter example balanced that tone out with a paralleling "silly" tone, which is probably how I'd prefer Lego handle such themes. Bionicle on the other hand, just felt too uncharacteristic for the brand, at least for its first incarnation that ran from 2001 to 2010.

11 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Another idea for an underground fusion theme could be for a mesh of Aquazone-type themes and Power Miners/Rock Raiders. Essentially, it would be an action/adventure theme focused upon a submersible mining crew, perhaps in a race against time to defuse a burgeoning supervolcano which threatens to bring about a global environmental catastrophe. The cool thing about such a theme is that its antagonist would be the volcano itself, as opposed to minifigure baddies/sea monsters. But, would such an action theme be successful if it did lack those minifigure adversaries?

You know, come to think of it, Lego has had its share of many "darker" themes; for instance, Bionicle and Monster Fighters come to mind. But, do I want to see more themes of that nature?

At least the latter example balanced that tone out with a paralleling "silly" tone, which is probably how I'd prefer Lego handle such themes. Bionicle on the other hand, just felt too uncharacteristic for the brand, at least for its first incarnation that ran from 2001 to 2010.

Not sure if an action theme would work with just a super volcano as the antagonist, But what about maybe power miners lava monsters being a product of this super volcano? Power miners and Atlantis were both set within the same universe mash the later part of power miners with Atlantis could make for a neat 2 year theme.

Ah Monster Fighters a theme I enjoyed but only ended up with one of the smaller sets, i wouldn't mind another theme along those lines especially if we got something similar to the ghost train since Lego rarely does trains and when they do they are so much alike. 

5 hours ago, Nexogeek said:

Not sure if an action theme would work with just a super volcano as the antagonist, But what about maybe power miners lava monsters being a product of this super volcano? Power miners and Atlantis were both set within the same universe mash the later part of power miners with Atlantis could make for a neat 2 year theme.

Sure, but I still think that an action theme with a faceless adversary could work, as it would be just like City's 2016 Volcano Exploration subtheme, only with the volcano as a threat and the crew equipped with more Sci-Fi heavy submersible craft. I earlier proposed another action theme on this topic with a faceless antagonist, centered around a search and rescue squad which conduct international post-catastrophe missions, kinda like Fisher Price's old Rescue Heroes line. In other words, these action themes would just be more "extreme" reimaginings of City subthemes in a way.

5 hours ago, Nexogeek said:

Ah Monster Fighters a theme I enjoyed but only ended up with one of the smaller sets, i wouldn't mind another theme along those lines especially if we got something similar to the ghost train since Lego rarely does trains and when they do they are so much alike. 

Well a Steampunk theme would just have to have a train set! :purrr:

A lot of early sci-fi/action themes seem to have acted as rehearsals or practice runs for later licensed themes: "Look at Johnny Thunder! You can trust us with Indiana Jones!" A very successful sci-fi rescue theme could then be a rehearsal for a Thunderbirds theme, if that franchise had suitable longevity and wide appeal - but I'm not counting on it.

5 minutes ago, icm said:

A lot of early sci-fi/action themes seem to have acted as rehearsals or practice runs for later licensed themes: "Look at Johnny Thunder! You can trust us with Indiana Jones!" A very successful sci-fi rescue theme could then be a rehearsal for a Thunderbirds theme, if that franchise had suitable longevity and wide appeal - but I'm not counting on it.

I think the way you phrase that ascribes a certain level of intentionality to it that isn't necessarily there—Adventurers started several years before Lego even started licensing movie franchises at all, and a great many years before they'd wind up doing Indiana Jones.

Still, an original sci-fi rescue theme could be pretty cool.

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Sure, but I still think that an action theme with a faceless adversary could work, as it would be just like City's 2016 Volcano Exploration subtheme, only with the volcano as a threat and the crew equipped with more Sci-Fi heavy submersible craft. I earlier proposed another action theme on this topic with a faceless antagonist, centered around a search and rescue squad which conduct international post-catastrophe missions, kinda like Fisher Price's old Rescue Heroes line. In other words, these action themes would just be more "extreme" reimaginings of City subthemes in a way.

Well a Steampunk theme would just have to have a train set! :purrr:

Now that you brought up Rescue Heroes the idea has grown on me, when I was a kid I loved those toys. Lego could totally pull off a theme like that well as long as they don't flood it with helicopters. 

A Steampunk theme has to be one of my top themes I wish Lego would do especially if we got a nice looking train and maybe a decent size building and a smaller building (similar to this ideas project https://ideas.lego.com/projects/4da33379-1474-4db8-9fdc-6e51f36ec344) That ideas project might not be that big and doesn't seem like it has a chance but if it did make it to 10k it would show Lego the demand is there along with it being small and cheaper to make with zero licencing issues ideal for approval. A theme along the steampunk idea could have a ratrod style car, a train, a large building, a smaller structure, some kind of aircraft.