Peppermint_M

Future Action and Adventure Themes

On 6/20/2017 at 5:40 PM, Marishka said:

I would like to see theme about minifigures fighting or hunting huge fantastic creatures and monsters with crazy design - in way like it is in Monster Hunter games. The biggest monsters is living walking castles with some little critters inside! And of course, minifigures' vehicles might be with dieselpunk elements! :D

I would really like to see a Jaeger vs Kaiju reboot of Exoforce (similar to 2013's Pacific Rim) focused on a Jaeger squad battling large, brick built Kaiju, and both sides' builds would have Technic geared mechanics to to manually throw punches, much like Rock Em, Sock Em but much more mechanically complex. The only thing is, any chance of another Japanese styled action theme being done by Lego is somewhat hindered by Ninjago.

18 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Military! Think how cool camo-style minidolls driving tanks would be :grin::thumbup:

Your comment reminded me of this Brickworld display by Eurobricks user @Modulex Guy I saw at a local show. :laugh:

14 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

I was personally wondering if something like Sailor Moon or other Magical Girl anime would be popular. A group of colourful heroes, each with their own themed power... Sounds familiar right?

As a replacement for Elves it would work, as a fantasy element would remain but it would be set in somewhere more modern and down to earth. Follow the tropes and it would work out well as a counterpart to the Action themes aimed at boys. 

Even a theme with a solo magical girl ( Cardcaptor style) leaves room for outfits, friends and monster-of-the-week. 

That could work! Given my comment I just made above regarding another Japanese styled action theme, perhaps a minidoll theme would be the way to go!

Edited by Digger of Bricks

If we're talking minidolls, I would love a Friends in Space kind of theme. There could be alien races similar to the Elves goblins, or even blue-skinned minidolls or something.

Not that I expect it to ever happen...

Speaking of "Friends in Space", IIRC there was theorizing once about how the figs from LEGO Friends (what are they actually called? Dolls? Dollfigs?) would work great for something like EXO Force due to how more animesque they look.

Something in the style of Gundam with those dolls as pilots could be pretty cool I think. And yes, part of me wants something like Gundam because my interest in constraction shifts more and more towards brick-built robots instead of CCBS, and I would love to see more parts for use with the Mixel Balljoints.

Edited by ZORK64

A discussion on @LegoMonorailFan's CS Creator opinion thread about Aquazone the other day made me start thinking...

How does a Steampunk/Dieselpunk styled Aquazone theme sound? Could it work? Personally, while I'd prefer such a theme to be part of a broader Adventurers continuum, a non-modern styled Aquazone theme could draw from many inspirations. These could include Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire from 2001, 2003's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and perhaps even the first two Bioshock games (maybe). Perhaps Captain Nemo could be a main character, and besides, it would be a very good excuse for an awesome Lego Nautilus submarine. :wink:

Remember this one rejected Ideas project?

th?id=OIP.xwd_2DR94t1Ke-rroX-2TgEsDa&pid=15.1

Edited by Digger of Bricks

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

How does a Steampunk/Dieselpunk styled Aquazone theme sound? Could it work? Personally, while I'd prefer such a theme to be part of a broader Adventurers continuum, a non-modern styled Aquazone theme could draw from many inspirations. These could include Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire from 2001, 2003's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and perhaps even the first two Bioshock games (maybe).

Oh man, that would be great, but unfortunately, it looks like a little impossible; over in the Historic Themes forum there was a discussion about the future of some certain themes where this came up.

Long story short, Lego designer Mark Stafford (who goes by Nabii here on EB) chimed in and in an off-hand kind of way, mentioned that steampunk really hasn't tested well as a theme (I linked his post below).

It's not very encouraging that we'll ever see much in the way of steampunk, let alone a whole theme.

Edited by rodiziorobs
Improved punctuation

5 hours ago, rodiziorobs said:

Oh man, that would be great, but unfortunately, it looks like a little impossible; over in the Historic Themes forum there was a discussion about the future of some certain themes where this came up.

Long story short, Lego designer Mark Stafford (who goes by Nabii here on EB) chimed in and in an off-hand kind of way, mentioned that steampunk really hasn't tested well as a theme (I linked his post below).

It's not very encouraging that we'll ever see much in the way of steampunk, let alone a whole theme.

Yes, I know, I actually mentioned and quoted his post in a response to @J4ck on the previous page of this thread. But nonetheless, I thought I'd share this Aquazone idea here since I thought it was pretty cool.

Other than an entire theme, I proposed an idea on this thread linked below for a Steampunk styled "Inventor's Toolbox" type set for the Creator theme, a multiple build set that essentially would be a Steampunk part pack.

There are a couple other discussions here on Eurobricks proposing Creator be used as an outlet for genres that otherwise would not be viable for an entire theme. Here are two such threads by both @LegoMonorailFan and @danth for others to check out.

14 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Yes, I know...

Sorry, I must have missed your reply! There's been so much to read on EB lately, it's hard to all keep track of.

I have been following some of the wishlisting about themed Creator boxes, and I suppose that if we ever did see anything steampunk, that's probably where it would be, if those themed boxes ever happen.

I loved Aquazone as a kid and would be thrilled to see it return, especially with more of a whimsical aspect.

14 hours ago, rodiziorobs said:

I have been following some of the wishlisting about themed Creator boxes, and I suppose that if we ever did see anything steampunk, that's probably where it would be, if those themed boxes ever happen.

It were to be a creator set, I doubt it'll include minifigures and there would probably only be one set released

On 6/25/2017 at 9:52 PM, rodiziorobs said:

Sorry, I must have missed your reply! There's been so much to read on EB lately, it's hard to all keep track of.

I loved Aquazone as a kid and would be thrilled to see it return, especially with more of a whimsical aspect.

I do hope to see Creator expand to more broader horizons as far as fantasy and sci-fi genres go. 

Returning to the subject of Aquazone, I had thought of an idea for a crossover between Aquazone and the Sky-fi/Adventurers theme I proposed on the previous page. If such a theme like I earlier proposed were launched and successful enough to continue a second year, perhaps the next storyline could revolve around the theme's main characters investigating the mystery of the Devil's Triangle in the Pacific Ocean, where they find a sunken Polynesian civilization's portal device responsible for the vortex. This hypothetical wave could feature many wild seaplanes and even submersible fighter planes (similar to the ones featured in Sky Captain and World of Tomorrow pictured below). Perhaps the villainous baron of the prior wave could return seeking the device with a Dieselpunk-ish helicarrier. :sweet:

sky-captain-6.jpg

On 6/26/2017 at 0:47 PM, J4ck said:

It were to be a creator set, I doubt it'll include minifigures and there would probably only be one set released

I wouldn't expect minifigures for such a set either, but I'm rather surprised we haven't seen any Steampunk archetypes for any of the CMSs so far. :shrug_confused:

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I do hope to see Creator expand to more broader horizons as far as fantasy and sci-fi genres go. 

Returning to the subject of Aquazone, I had thought of an idea for a crossover between Aquazone and the Sky-fi/Adventurers theme I proposed on the previous page. If such a theme like I earlier proposed were launched and successful enough to continue a second year, perhaps the next storyline could revolve around the theme's main characters investigating the mystery of the Devil's Triangle in the Pacific Ocean, where they find a sunken Polynesian civilization's portal device responsible for the vortex. This hypothetical wave could feature many wild seaplanes and even submersible fighter planes (similar to the ones featured in Sky Captain and World of Tomorrow pictured below). Perhaps the villainous baron of the prior wave could return seeking the device with a Dieselpunk-ish helicarrier. :sweet:

*insert picture here*

I wouldn't expect minifigures for such a set either, but I'm rather surprised we haven't seen any Steampunk archetypes for any of the CMSs so far. :shrug_confused:

Hey yeah that's a brilliant idea! They'd sell out fast! I know I'd buy them! Series 19 here we come (I hope)! And with our Lego will probably do a couple spread over multiple series like with Lederhosen, surfer, Christmas theme, aliens, costume theme etc.

Edited by J4ck

On 6/28/2017 at 1:40 PM, J4ck said:

Hey yeah that's a brilliant idea! They'd sell out fast! I know I'd buy them! Series 19 here we come (I hope)! And with our Lego will probably do a couple spread over multiple series like with Lederhosen, surfer, Christmas theme, aliens, costume theme etc.

Perhaps some archetypes that could be done for Steampunk CMFs would be a "time traveler", a "inventor", or maybe just a male/female Steampunk cosplayer.

Going back to the discussion regarding the viability of a Steampunk theme, it would be interesting to know what conceptual ideas specifically were tested with kids for the genre that @Nabii speaks of. This made me start thinking. Instead of your typical Victorian British styled Steampunk theme, how about an American wild west set one, somewhat inspired by Barry Sonnenfeld's 1999 Wild Wild West. Now I'm not so sure about heroes, but I would like to see the hypothetical theme's villains be a hybrid of outlaw banditos and modern outlaw bikers, riding on steam powered contraption like motorcycles instead of horses.

While we're still on the subject of Steampunk, speaking of time travelers, what could you see being a viable idea for a current time travel theme? I myself can't really conjure a good idea, other than I think the theme's heroes should be a band of historical misfits, so thought I'd ask here if anyone has some good ideas.

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

While we're still on the subject of Steampunk, speaking of time travelers, what could you see being a viable idea for a current time travel theme? I myself can't really conjure a good idea, other than I think the theme's heroes should be a band of historical misfits, so thought I'd ask here if anyone has some good ideas.

You know how Doctor Who mixes up history like with a recent episode wi the 1800's soldiers on Mars? Well what about something like that but without the Doctor and its Lego's own brand and they really mix up history?

On 7/1/2017 at 11:55 AM, J4ck said:

You know how Doctor Who mixes up history like with a recent episode wi the 1800's soldiers on Mars? Well what about something like that but without the Doctor and its Lego's own brand and they really mix up history?

Sort of like a more serious take on Time Cruisers? That could be pretty cool.

I've always wanted a knights theme that's almost entirely futuristic. That is, settings, weapons, everything futuristic.

The storyline would be that to get the world into it's current state, some... Not good...Things had to be done. Some people realized this, and now they are constantly trying to revert the land back to the way it was centuries ago. Is it even right for the knights to defend against this? (the discovery would be a major plot twist that would make the viewer question who's really the protagonists)

The knights would have sleek outfits that are uniform (that is, only has a slight amount of varying color), and the villains wouldn't have a spot of technology on them. The setting would have natural growths like plants and trees, but in extreme moderation, which would make for some cool building techniques.

Edited by gamejutzu

On 1.7.2017 at 4:45 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Perhaps some archetypes that could be done for Steampunk CMFs would be a "time traveler", a "inventor", or maybe just a male/female Steampunk cosplayer.

Going back to the discussion regarding the viability of a Steampunk theme, it would be interesting to know what conceptual ideas specifically were tested with kids for the genre that @Nabii speaks of. This made me start thinking. Instead of your typical Victorian British styled Steampunk theme, how about an American wild west set one, somewhat inspired by Barry Sonnenfeld's 1999 Wild Wild West. Now I'm not so sure about heroes, but I would like to see the hypothetical theme's villains be a hybrid of outlaw banditos and modern outlaw bikers, riding on steam powered contraption like motorcycles instead of horses.

While Steampunk is a nice theme, I don't think that it would make a good Lego action theme. Steampunk is missing the clear lines and compact elements you need to make sturdy playsets.

1 hour ago, mon-o-mat said:

While Steampunk is a nice theme, I don't think that it would make a good Lego action theme. Steampunk is missing the clear lines and compact elements you need to make sturdy playsets.

Although that is true, it'd be not just nice but awesome if it were done in the CMF line!

On 7/6/2017 at 0:13 PM, gamejutzu said:

I've always wanted a knights theme that's almost entirely futuristic. That is, settings, weapons, everything futuristic.

The storyline would be that to get the world into it's current state, some... Not good...Things had to be done. Some people realized this, and now they are constantly trying to revert the land back to the way it was centuries ago. Is it even right for the knights to defend against this? (the discovery would be a major plot twist that would make the viewer question who's really the protagonists)

The knights would have sleek outfits that are uniform (that is, only has a slight amount of varying color), and the villains wouldn't have a spot of technology on them. The setting would have natural growths like plants and trees, but in extreme moderation, which would make for some cool building techniques.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how this idea is any different from Nexo Knights. :shrug_confused:

Unless you're being sarcastic. :wink: :grin:

On 7/9/2017 at 7:46 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

I'm having a hard time figuring out how this idea is any different from Nexo Knights. :shrug_confused:

Unless you're being sarcastic.

._. well uh, Nexo Knights is a mish-mash of nature and futuristic technology, my idea is technology versus nature. The sets themselves might look like what i'm talking about, but the world seen in the TV show is very different than what i'm describing.

This might be unrelated, but one thing I didn't like about Nexo Knights is that it takes both technology and fantasy/natural themes, instead of doing one or the other. If Nexo Knights failed, it would be awkward getting another knights theme because Nexo Knights already used both genres.

On 20-6-2017 at 6:24 PM, bobasdad said:

I think a new dinosaur-based adventure theme would appeal to a wide audience.  Something similar to that old Dino Riders cartoon would sell quite well, I beleive (and it would give TLG a chance to get some more use out of those dinosaur molds they made for the Dino theme in 2012).  Here's an example:

I was thinking the exact same thing, coming into this thread. Yes! This could be a very big seller; kids just always love dinosaurs somehow. However, maybe those same kids won't like lego bricks that much. 

23 hours ago, NotMegalodon said:

I was thinking the exact same thing, coming into this thread. Yes! This could be a very big seller; kids just always love dinosaurs somehow. However, maybe those same kids won't like lego bricks that much. 

There are a lot of potential dinosaur-based themes that lego has yet to explore, such as a theme that mixes dinosaurs with advanced technology.  Imagine something similar to this (but constructed of lego):

51CErrCrq0L.jpg
41yWilV9-wL.jpg
e1684e67-5501-4fb8-86db-c3a98f0d49d6_1.5

17 minutes ago, bobasdad said:

There are a lot of potential dinosaur-based themes that lego has yet to explore, such as a theme that mixes dinosaurs with advanced technology.  Imagine something similar to this (but constructed of lego):

*snip*

*snip*

*snip*

Hmm, I like it! Only thing is, depending on how many movies they plan on making, we won't see something like this as long as Lego continues doing Jurassic World sets. And with the second movie coming out, as well as the fact that the sets for the first movie sold very well, we can expect Lego to do sets for the second movie and future movies for quite some time

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

Seems like the new Jungle Line has the amazon pretty well covered. And Ninjago has the far east covered.

I think an African Safari line would be a good theme. Adventurers rescuing animals from poachers. Toss in a few new animals and you've got a gem of a line. Could even include Tarzan, since he is public domain now.

Or a 1930s style space serial adventure, with figures like the most recent collectable series retro-spaceman. Something like Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, or John Carter. Johnny Thunder goes to Mars or something. From Earth to the Moon inspired?

Or an underwater Adventure with the characters in the diving suits exploring Atlantean ruins and a big Nautilus style submarine.

Journey to the Center of the Earth with rock monsters and a big steam powered drilling machine.

Haunted castles would be a nice theme to return to. Monster Hunters version two. Still a few monsters left uncovered: invisible man, bride of Frankenstein, a girl mummy?

Egypt could be a fun place to return to, too. Pharaoh Quest v.2?

Returning to India would be fun too.

A less modern Arctic adventure?

But, this idea just came to me, as a long term theme: Around the World in 80 days. Balloon bound explorers touch down in all the aforementioned locales each release year.

Steve

My idea if i would work for lego would have been: a kid forms a group of paranormal detectives. Situated: the London of Sherlock Holmes. On the look-out for paranormal activity: think hellboy. A group of course to spread out your heroes in multiple sets. A human boy, a human girl/or maybe a humanoid girl, a robot, a goofball monster and a old guy who sends them on missions. There you have all ingredients for tons of stories. Builds vary from vehicles, locations and bigger monsters (a monster that camouflages itself as a house for instance). Funny monsters, scary monsters, supersmall monsters (printed microfigs, babyfigs) and so on, and so on. A theme that is enjoyable for boys, girls and even old people like us.  

I had thought of two theme ideas today that I think are both pretty novel for Lego.

The first would be for an advanced, international search and rescue theme, focused on a highly equipped dispatch squad for post-catastrophe rescue missions in the advent of major disasters. Though it may sound like something more fitting as a City subtheme, this team would be armed with rubble traversing mecha, dual rotor hovercopters, search drones, hoverpacks for civilian rescues, retrieval submarines, etc. The cool thing about this theme though, is that it would be an action theme that would lack an adversary or conflict, something all too prominent in action themes currently though it may seem necessary for the genre.

Now the second idea may sound somewhat too similar to Ghostbusters, but I had this idea for an action theme focused on an extermination team who help to keep their city clean of a subterranean menace in the form of giant, mutant insect-like creatures who's breading ground has sprouted in the city's sewers. The great thing about a theme like this would be that the heroes adversaries would be brick built as opposed to just minifigures, something that I appreciated about the Aqua Raiders and Atlantis themes.

11 hours ago, Athos said:

Seems like the new Jungle Line has the amazon pretty well covered. And Ninjago has the far east covered.

I think an African Safari line would be a good theme. Adventurers rescuing animals from poachers. Toss in a few new animals and you've got a gem of a line. Could even include Tarzan, since he is public domain now.

Or a 1930s style space serial adventure, with figures like the most recent collectable series retro-spaceman. Something like Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, or John Carter. Johnny Thunder goes to Mars or something. From Earth to the Moon inspired?

Or an underwater Adventure with the characters in the diving suits exploring Atlantean ruins and a big Nautilus style submarine.

Journey to the Center of the Earth with rock monsters and a big steam powered drilling machine.

Haunted castles would be a nice theme to return to. Monster Hunters version two. Still a few monsters left uncovered: invisible man, bride of Frankenstein, a girl mummy?

Egypt could be a fun place to return to, too. Pharaoh Quest v.2?

Returning to India would be fun too.

A less modern Arctic adventure?

But, this idea just came to me, as a long term theme: Around the World in 80 days. Balloon bound explorers touch down in all the aforementioned locales each release year.

Steve

All of these! :thumbup: :sweet:

I can see your proposals all fall within either a Steampunk or Dieselpunk context, something I do hope we will someday see in a future action theme. Oh, as you can guess, I really like the retro space proposal I highlighted, though I do think that should have been something you should have posted on the sci-fi forum instead. :classic:

On 7/12/2017 at 3:52 PM, bobasdad said:

It's funny that you bring up Fisher Price Imaginext, since that is a theme of the brand I sometimes am envious of as far as their play themes go. I mean, they even had a Sky-fi theme of sorts in the form of Sky Racers some years ago.

th?id=OIP.ZxdARgWYD2jYUpRhahxkZAEsDu&w=300&h=300&p=0&pid=1.7th?id=OIP.HJ-vmDINEAZRuDp0Xjv1SwEsEs&w=300&h=300&p=0&pid=1.7th?id=OIP.8Dk4eL-PIRTZOdN-yHCcqwEsEs&w=300&h=300&p=0&pid=1.7th?id=OIP.YqnMvxytsO6DcHlVkCiv6ADzDz&w=300&h=300&p=0&pid=1.7