Sign in to follow this  
getbusybrickin

Could They Make Harry Potter Sets Again?

Is there any possibility that LEGO will make Harry Potter sets again? We know they haven't forgot about it because of the Dimensions packs and the universe is still relevant considering the Fantastic Beasts series. 

This was discussed a few months ago.

Nothing has been confirmed, but this comment from trusted source Sir von Lego got me excited at the time:

On 22/02/2017 at 1:58 PM, Sir von Lego said:

There might be a chance for HP theme starting in 2018...

the popularity is still high

I assume it's an idea Lego is considering. I so hope it happens! But without any new Potter films to spark interest (Fantastic Beasts has completely different characters, so I'm not counting them), I don't know if sets would sell well enough.

8 hours ago, Felkin said:

This was discussed a few months ago.

Nothing has been confirmed, but this comment from trusted source Sir von Lego got me excited at the time:

I assume it's an idea Lego is considering. I so hope it happens! But without any new Potter films to spark interest (Fantastic Beasts has completely different characters, so I'm not counting them), I don't know if sets would sell well enough.

We are getting a familiar face...well, name, in the next installment. Dumbledore. While Beasts' is different, it's also the same, due to familiarity of names & characters. I certainly hope we have more to piggyback off the movies. 

Edited by Vindicare

I was dissapointed that we didn't get sets based on "The Fantastic Beasts" last year hopefully that will change next year with the sequel.

Tbf, other than the creatures and one or two characters - there was not much that really warranted being made into a set and with it being a new property i can understand why they might be wary

With the other 5 (?) films planned to lead more into being a prequel to the Harry Potter series i could see them decide to give us sets later on.

Maybe just a singular UCS Hogwarts Castle as i'm certain that will show up in the film series and i expect they could give us something a lot better given the advancements in construction techniques and the willingness to make larger more expensive sets with more pieces.

If I recall correctly, they didn't release tie-in sets for the Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince movies when the films were released because the Goblet of Fire line sold so poorly.  Those movies were covered in the last wave of Harry Potter sets, which were released as a last hurrah for Deathly Hallows.  Given a past history of declining sales across the original eight-film franchise and the amount of company resources that are probably required to sustain one big, continuing franchise (Star Wars), I would be surprised if they picked up the Fantastic Beasts license for a full toy line.  Dimensions seems to be a much less risky way of picking up a franchise.  If they do anything else for the Fantastic Beasts series, I would also expect it to be a large D2C Hogwarts Castle - maybe even as big as the Disney Castle.