Murdoch17

1920s Art Deco modular "Ironwood Union Depot" - train station real world MOC

This modular station was inspired by a long since expired Cuusso / Ideas project, (not mine), and set 2150 Train Station from 1996  while the clock tower is inspired by Big Bentley Bust-Out (from Cars 2 set 8639) from 2011.

39985925905_67716d24e4_z.jpg

I added a removable six track long platform and put a luggage ramp from the street side for use by the wheelchair pieces LEGO recently made. By the way: the logo right below the clock is the official LEGO trains logo built in bricks, while the words in the center (just between the middle pillars) reads "Ironwood Union Depot" in printed 1 x 1 tiles.

39985926035_2c5849b6ab_z.jpg

The street side of the station has been extended towards the edge of the base-plate, allowing for a more room (and more details!) inside the building. The year of the stations completion, 1928, is right above the main entryway.

39985926145_62f5f72207_z.jpg

The lower floor has the central ticket desk, plus pizza restaurant (complete with opening oven!) on the right side with seating available on the left wing. These wings also allow for access to the platform under the twin canopies.

39985926065_7fd3a6c1d0_z.jpg

The second floor has the switching control room and station managers office which floats inside the exterior walls on some tile-topped pillars. This assembly is barely connected to the build by two studs.

(NOTE: No stairs to the upper floor were made because that's how the official CITY sets are, so I didn't include any as I was going for an official LEGO set feel.)

40867824281_982980a57c_z.jpg

This a closeup of the four-sided clock tower and brick-built LEGO Trains logo.

39985926255_b110d9e549_z.jpg

The modular station features two platform sections, two lower roof sections, one upper roof section, and the removable second floor on top of a cafe (with seating) on the lower level. The station platforms fit via Technic pins while the other sections attach via a few studs.

51597481394_518378543e_z.jpg

The station building shown above has been built since 2018. I've been trying to add a good looking canopy and passenger stairs to it since about late 2019, but gave up and added one that is solid in roof panels to my Disney-lookalike instead in early-to-mid 2021.

Then, in early October I saw 76183 (Riddler face off from the new "The Batman" line) and knew I had found a solution to the pedestrian staircase between both platforms. I hashed out a better, more see-through version of the canopy on the MOD Disney station which should work... it has a half stud gap right now, but it most likely is an LDD problem instead of a design one. (I hope!) The stairs are a color changed MOD of the ones in the set with more space between the tracks and a bit more height in the middle section  by way of bumping the whole structure up a brick or two.

51597573739_4abe65100f_z.jpg

There is eleven bricks of clearance from the railhead to the bottom part of the arches, meaning the twin staircase's fit most of my trains through with room to spare. However, the pantograph's on electric loco's and a caboose cupola for a freight train won't fit under the bridges.

This view also showcases the neat little hanging lights used under the canopy area itself.

51597481424_ba2422be1f_z.jpg

The bridges are missing eight black candlestick parts for the lights on the part of the walkway, where the stairs have their landings. I'll also have to cut the two 48 x 48's down by eight studs on one side per baseplate to better fit the footprint of the canopy.

EDIT 11/9/21:

51668229244_b783e436ce_z.jpg

This canopy project would would cost around three hundred US dollars (or more) if I didn't have 850 of the more expensive parts already found from my own collection and with serious help from my brother. Sadly, the Disney Station MOD's canopy has been sacrificed to make this project work as well. (Using those parts knocked it down to about $160 for what you see above.)

Thoughts on new development or the original station? Comments, questions and complaints are always welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

Nice station design. It reminds me of some of the older stuff in California. All you need are some palm trees and it'd really look right to me.

On 6/17/2017 at 1:15 AM, Feuer Zug said:

Nice station design. It reminds me of some of the older stuff in California. All you need are some palm trees and it'd really look right to me.

Like this?

35448164715_9118e044cd_z.jpg

I'm in the process of updating the pictures and your idea about the palm trees was too good to pass up. Thanks for the idea!

18 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

I think it needs a more tropical color perhaps?

Could you please elaborate? I don't quite understand, as it's already got a lot of yellow with some green.

Oh, for the actual building itself-- maybe add some lines of blue (if possible) to the exterior of the main building.

Also, maybe consider extending the height of the clocktower a bit? A figure can't see it from the opposite side of the station (if that matters)...

Just my thoughts

On 6/22/2017 at 7:57 PM, M_slug357 said:

Oh, for the actual building itself-- maybe add some lines of blue (if possible) to the exterior of the main building.

Also, maybe consider extending the height of the clocktower a bit? A figure can't see it from the opposite side of the station (if that matters)...

Just my thoughts

I just replaced the clocktower with a attached two-sided hanging clock... I also added a dark bluish gray stripe to the roof to break up the monotonous new red colored walls. I also updated the ldd file / pictures to reflect these changes in the main post.

Does it look better to anybody?

this is amazing, but it really needs a way to the second floor. (even a ladder from the outside would help :laugh:)

Edited by Hart New Bob

On 9/22/2017 at 3:47 PM, Hart New Bob said:

this is amazing, but it really needs a way to the second floor. (even a ladder from the outside would help :laugh:)

i couldn't get a ladder to look good... I did add a cafe, though!

Looks good. It reminds me of southern California stations. The palm trees and yellow color really make it work.

42 minutes ago, Feuer Zug said:

Looks good. It reminds me of southern California stations. The palm trees and yellow color really make it work.

I think you might want refresh your internet cache... The station is now red and looks like this:

37484194750_2d8342d939_z.jpg

sorry!

Ah, ok. I didn't notice the edited date on the original post, so I went with the last picture in line. My mistake. Both color schemes look good.

This model is the train station and is currently sitting in parts in one of my bins, waiting to be assembled on Christmas morning, so stay tuned for real life pictures on that day!

37826478104_afbc4d5f94_z.jpg

NOTE: Another older station model is being disassembled for it's parts to be used on this project. That model hasn't been taken apart yet, but it will be. This picture shows only about half the parts needed.

Also, the first post pictures where updated and re-arranged.

This railroad station is coming along nicely. I just need two more letters and to cut up a 48 x 48 base-plate into 16 x 48 strips.... plus I need to build the platform on those strips.27641173769_e12ecae794_z.jpg

Any thoughts?

Looking good so far. The roof looks a bit bland to me. I would add some Snot-Style skylights. That would also make it more interesting for people to look inside to see what's going on in the station.

23 hours ago, McWaffel said:

Looking good so far. The roof looks a bit bland to me. I would add some Snot-Style skylights. That would also make it more interesting for people to look inside to see what's going on in the station.

Thanks, I'll think about the skylights, but right now I've got this to worry about...

24567571987_e661c3f869_z.jpg

I'm currently working in LDD on adding a train shed for the tracks next to my Art Deco train station. It will have to wait until next month (February) to be built in real life though.

25650653408_b0b9b6b08c_z.jpg

This giant train station (96 x 48 studs) is finally done in real bricks! Please see the first post for more pictures. :classic:

Nice and big.

That's a proper station. I found the letters on the platform side a bit big and low. I expected some doors there, but that's just a matter of taste I guess.

13 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

Nice and big.

That's a proper station. I found the letters on the platform side a bit big and low. I expected some doors there, but that's just a matter of taste I guess.

Thanks for your kind words! The doors to the platform are under the awnings, while the lettering was the best I could do with the pieces available. Thanks again for stopping by!

BUMP / UPDATE:

The clock tower that I have added to this train station was inspired by set 8639, (Big Bently Bust Out from the Cars 2 theme) but using the Big Ben clock face from set 10253. (Big Ben) I took some windows out of the station to hook the tower into the station's walls for stability.

40356241322_b56c3104cc_z.jpg

As the station is already built in real life, this four-sided clock tower will be added on at some point this year. Oh, and the year 1928 is going where the old hanging clock was, as that is the year the station was built as of now.

Edited by Murdoch17

Updated bump: Parts are now arriving, but one order will be late. The modified inside details and train logos will come later... I sadly ran out of funds. :cry_sad:

38885823750_afaa632079_z.jpg

This LDD screenshot is a stand-in till the real model gets finished in the next couple weeks. (I hope!)

Edited by Murdoch17

Main posted revised 3/19/18: 

39985926035_2c5849b6ab_z.jpg

Added clock tower and brick-built trains logos, plus redone interior details. Please see the first post for more of the updated pictures!

Sorry for the large four-year-bump, but I didn't want to make a whole new thread for this with one already existing!

The station building itself (as shown in first post and the one directly above this post) has been built since 2018. I've been trying to add a good looking canopy and passenger stairs to it since about late 2020, but gave up and added one that is solid in roof panels to my Disney-lookalike instead in early-to-mid 2021.

51597481394_518378543e_z.jpg

Then, on the 8th of October I saw 76183 (Riddler face off from the new "The Batman" line) and knew I had found a solution to the pedestrian staircase between both platforms. I hashed out a better, more see-through version of the canopy on the MOD Disney station which should work... it has a half stud gap right now, but it most likely is an LDD problem instead of an actual design one. (at least I hope so!) The stairs are a color changed MOD of the ones in the set with more space between the tracks and a bit more height in the middle section  by way of bumping the whole structure up a brick or two.

51597573739_4abe65100f_z.jpg

There is eleven bricks of clearance from the railhead to the bottom part of the arches, meaning the twin staircase's fit most of my trains through with room to spare. However, the pantograph's on electric loco's and a caboose cupola for a freight train won't fit under the bridges.

This view also showcases the neat little hanging lights used under the canopy area itself.

51597481424_ba2422be1f_z.jpg

The bridges are missing eight black candlestick parts for the lights on the part of the walkway, where the stairs have their landings. I'll also have to cut the two 48 x 48's down by eight studs on one side per baseplate to better fit the footprint of the canopy.

51603032387_a4447aa0f8_z.jpg

I've currently found about 574 parts found for this model out of the 1228 total at start. I also got it down from three hundred plus to about $190-something. (I have still a lot left to find before I can order any parts as that's way out of my monthly price range!)

Any thoughts, suggestions, questions, and comments would be greatly appreciated for this MOC!