Lt. Col. Thok

What happened to shiny lightsabers?

I noticed that, around 2005, Lego stopped using the classic shiny lightsabers that had represented Star Wars for over 5 years. Does anyone know why they were replaced? (I suppose it was because they were prone to flaking...)

The chroming process is expensive. In order to save money so the sets don't get more expensive they produce the grey ones to compensate for the chrome ones. Personally I like the chromed ones a lot more, but you gotta go with what they give ya.

The chroming process is expensive. In order to save money so the sets don't get more expensive they produce the grey ones to compensate for the chrome ones

Basically this ^

some 2006 and 2007 sets had chrome sabers i think, my ISD, jabba's sail barge and x wing had them

One of my chrome ones split, and I wonder if the grey ones

They flake? Wow. Never had one flake on me yet.

Dr. S.

Neither did I, until I disassembled a Final Duel set I'd had on display for 3+ years. When I pulled the lightsabers out of Luke and Vader's hands, I was surprised to see an odd milky-gray plastic peeking through the damaged chrome. Like the Castle Greatswords, chrome lightsabers can flake even if used gently. I'd replace them, but they cost $1 each on Bricklink.

For that reason, I think the shift to bley lightsaber hilts is better for the long-term durability of sets, and saves money for both the consumer and TLG.

It's not a big deal. Shiny lighsader hilts are still around, and are in no danger of dissappearing; it's just that they can't be put into many sets, and no more then one per set, because of the high cost of chrome pieces.

which is also why theyre not making a chrome-nose N-1 naboo starfighter, but the UCS one was nice...

Dr. S.

Most of my Chrome lightsabres are flaked :-( i need to get more SW sets! *vader*

Dr. S.

I never realized that they flaked until I compared some of my broadswords to me lightsabers - they were in horrible condition... :-/