If you remember those little clockwork robots, which used to be toys and are now prized collection articles, than you will surely recognize my representation! I've been working on this for some time now and I'm proud to say that this robot walks as well as the real thing! It uses two pullback motors, a couple cogs (gears) and 623 LEGO elements to achieve (I only hope you agree :blush:) both good looks and great functionality.

35283902306_e5ba70e76d_z.jpg

The mechanism with the incorporated motors is  made to fit exactly into the case and the case comes off all in one piece (I like my modularity). The mechanism for the legs is the most simple thing ever but making it was as complicated as any of my larger MOCs, because balance played such a vital role in all of it. You can still see it wobble as it walks (I find the wobble quite indearing though :wub:) and a lot of work went into keeping it from falling when it does.

I like to think this is my best work yet, so I hope you like it just as much :classic: enjoy!!!

My Flickr gallery

Edited by Eddie_Young

I really love your robot....for about 90%. You really need to work on the legs/feet. Because they look way too simple, compared to the adorable look of the upper body. Very well done. Hope to see an update soon :wink: 

I'm still improving but the legs are very tricky to get right. Thank you for the tip though :)

Edited by Eddie_Young

7 hours ago, Jim said:

You really need to work on the legs/feet. Because they look way too simple, compared to the adorable look of the upper body.

Agree, they are out of style. Upper body is almost perfect.

You could also use some gear reduction for better walking.

I really can't do any better with the walking :cry_sad: the gear reduction I have is the best I could find.

2 hours ago, IstakaCiti said:

You made my day, it is really something unique.

All the best!

Thank you so much :blush:

57 minutes ago, Eddie_Young said:

the gear reduction I have is the best I could find.

How much iterations You had? How much time You spent on that part? :wink:

many and about two years on and off :hmpf_bad:

There's a delicate balance between being too weak to walk and to strong to stay stable. I also tried prongs like the originals used to have but this way works much better. And anyway...It walks as far as the originals and I find the strange gait makes it more interesting :sweet:

I do agree on the legs' style...I'll look into it :wink:

On 2017-6-15 at 10:41 PM, Jim said:

Hope to see an update soon :wink: 

I know this isn't really what you had in mind, but I was asked to take care of my little sister today and she really loves my Wind-up Robot. She asked me if she could build one. I helped out a little bit...just to make sure it would still walk. I find it absolutely adorable :wub: which is why I decided to share it with you. I apologize for the photo quality...I am lazy :grin:

34551615673_8b865151c6.jpg

This was an attempt at an artistic photo

35195235102_57b484db5c.jpg

Notice how it looks to be peeing when viewed from behind :laugh::laugh:

35322298216_821f053301.jpg

I hope you like it!!!

LEGO Ideas

The Wind-up Drunk video!!!

Lots of people have commented (not only on Eurobricks) on my robot's strange gait (the way it walks). I have, therefore, decided to make a drunk-looking version to suit that walk. Looking at the drunk version, I thought of a little backstory and managed to make it into an advertisment for the project! Enjoy!!! Feel free to support the project here! 

I'm very proud of my sound effects by the way :laugh: they're all done with an electric guitar!!!

Any idea if I can add this as an update on LEGO Ideas? Please tell me if you have any ideas for promoting this project!!!

Edited by Eddie_Young

I've taken some photos of the black robot, which has already featured in both of my videos... I've gone for a mmuch simpler design as can be seen on the arms and the chest. Please let me know what you think :sweet: any critisism is welcome :wink:

35412940636_41e314cda6.jpg

35066038230_7a0f2d98e5.jpg

Edited by Eddie_Young

2 hours ago, sirslayer said:

like the theme!!!  maybe pushing it to You tube can give you more views..lol!!!   

But it is on YouTube... Isn't it? :oh: