steph77

[MOC] European garbage truck [new video and Lego idea submission]

1 hour ago, steph77 said:

So I'm wondering if going back to a classic 4-way gearbox system would not be a good thing. I would maintain a correct power level, especially for lifting the rear part.
I deprive myself of the possibility of using simultaneous functions but on the other hand there is not really any use.
Your opinion on it?

If I understand your setup right you use a driving ring with two gears for each function. So it is easier to switch forward and backward, right?

So that gives 8 gears running for each function of which only 1 is used for the function itself (plus of course some gears to power the clutchgears and the function)

With a classic 4 speed gearbox you would need to power the two axles in the gearbox and that's it, right? But this would go at the expense of easy switching back and forth. And you can't use all functions simultaneously (but that is not a big deal for you).

So it depends on the playability... Either you have an option that has very easy controls, or you have something that struggles (a bit?) with one function. I personally would try to minimze losses in the idlegears or gear down the lifting function.

A geared down idlegear setup would help to minimize losses, but you also say the functions are running at a correct speed already. So only if you have for all functions a geardown after the gearbox you can try to lower the speed of the idlegears without loosing speed in the functions.

My 2cts

It is a wonderful looking truck

I think you are right.

So this is what I 'll do, to test it.

I will take the gearbox down of two studs in order to:

- place a 8t/clutch reduction at the entry of the gearbox

- have for each function two gear that let me the choice between gearing up or down each function

This way I could have a lifting strongly geared down independently of the other functions.

This work will be coupled with the necessary reengineering of the inner part of the bed. Actually this part of the structure isn't strong enough and the deformation of the bed has a bad influence on the gearing performances.

Thanks for comment Jeroen

(still wait the released of one certain F14 in this forum air)

Hi guys

Here are the progress on this project.

I enter into the final part of the work : finalizing each module of the Moc.

So here is the first part. I decided to work on the main frame and cab design as I still need some thinking time on the upperrear bed and compactor design.

What do I do? I rebuild about everything :)

I add details to the global shape that came out the previous basic design. Here is the result, with some surprise add on function:)

Global view of the main frame. As it is a full independent module, I will be able to build different equipment to place on it. I already have in project some transport truck in Madocca 1977's style...

I particulary search for the shape for the roof top, front grill and rear view mirrors. I think I came out with some equilibrate design:

MZGVho.jpg

Back view, mudguards, lighting...all is integrated. The 20T gear is the HOG. I completely rebuild the chassis. The direction system witch was based on liftarms as been switched with regular direction with rackon pignon steering as it didn't satisfied me under heavy load. The angle of the direction between front and rear are obviously different and adapted to the steering radius of the truck

wHs4Ev.jpg

Laterally i keep the fuel tank as I thought it was looking good. I re-used some stikkerized pieces from the CLAAS Xerion set 

BoEnAj.jpg

Doors open largely. 90 degrees for drivers cab door, 70 for the passenger's one. Two seats and steering wheel are installed as well as a fake gearbox stick. The front grill can be opened and it's easy to see the big fan at the rear turning even when grill is closed.

OzM8ld.jpg

And the surprise function!

As I was playing with the truck I found that the RPM of the fake engine was a bit slow. ratio 1:1. As I was thinking to gear it up I decided to place one simple two speed gearbox inside and add one 3:1 ratio next to the first one.

The gearbox command is placed laterally witch is not common but logical in this Moc as the main mechanics will be place directly inside the upper bed. it is also very ergonomic.

nqV7XZ.jpg

Cab can be opened with a simple liftarm to lock it

QdJdCF.jpg

And finally the maintenance view :)

FoAPLX.jpg

Enjoy and feel free to comment it.

To be continued...

Oh wow, this is such a good looking model :wub:

Everything looks like it belongs there. And a nice addition of the gearbox. I like the front opening grille and the fact that you can open the cabin. Maybe the roof can use a bit more curve to it to let it flow towards the dumpster.

How is the HoG reachable when the garbage dumpster is on?

Your kids are going to love this one :thumbup:

It's looking awesome! Very well designed with clean lines, I honestly am flabbergasted at how you manage to fit so many functions and gearboxes in your build and especially at this scale. I really like little details too like the engine under the cab and the front end. I'm looking forward to the final product :wub:

Very nice build. With so many functions and great details you can't help but be impressed. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished model.

Hi everybody;

I am still working on this project. Today I finalized the 3 sub-modules of this truck.

Actually I validate the full set of functionalities, set all gearing, speeds etc....

To resume we have as manual functionalities:

- Direction with HOG

-Two axles steering

-Two speeds gearbox

-Fake engine with large fan

-Opening elements, doors and front grill, tilting cab with lock

And as motorized functions we have, with one only medium motor:

- opening the dumpster

-Ejection blade

-Compactor up/down

-rotating compactor blade

-Bin charger up/down

It will now be time to finalize the whole design of it. This is the reason you'll only see pictures of individuals module :classic:.

As I told you, they are 3 module, so here we go.

Module 1: the main frame

Already seen, but never without the cabin, witch can be interesting. Quiet easy to reverse engineering. This module received the other by simple and easy pin connection system.

GO6krY.jpg

I try to make a good design for each module individually. As I think to use this base for one other truck (you can switch between one or another by removing 4 pins)

AoHps7.jpg

Back view. Nothing special here but always interesting :classic:

T66dUa.jpg

Module 2: the cabin

It is destinated to be removed. at term I think i'll build a second  in one other color (orange I think. Still must check if I have enough pieces, or white)

5aH0YU.jpg

Back view, that will be viewed when used in B model. The with piece on the BB is practical to use, specially in combination with the new BB.

3yAcCu.jpg

interior of the cab is done with two seats, steering wheel and fake gearbox stick. Full set of rear and front view mirror is installed.

GSCVZd.jpg

Module 3: the dumpster

The masterpiece of this moc...

I began the build by the gearbox assembly. I build it as strong as I can using a maximum of technic frame. It result in a design where all gear work perfectly smoothly.

During prototyping process I notice that the dumpster was not perfectly rigid. the liaison between the gearbox and the rear articulation involve friction when the structure was stressed.

For this reason I used a system of universal joints that I placed voluntary in one oblique way, in two planes. it result that now, even if the dumpster is stressed this has no incidence on the gearing's freedom of rotation. 

SqstDI.jpg

The compactor area has minor improvement, stickers (official) and lighting integrated.

lWjeAI.jpg

Closer view of the compactor and bin lifter integration.

And yes. I was 40 this week (steph 77).

HUQdIf.jpg

To  integrate all the wires I built a path of cable...much more clean I thought.

You can see the universal joints oblique junctions and under, the ejection blade system.

nUCpVO.jpg

Here is a detailed view of the gearbox command unit. You can also see the down gearing mechanism of the main lifting system.

Before you ask me. I notice that the universal junction with the LA is not 100% Ok. I will fix that later...actually it works. no stressed part.

blzxll.jpg

Here is the view of the front of the dumpster. I placed here the electric commands unit. One selector is for lighting and the other for the Medium motor.

You can see where the HOG pass trough the dumpster. The under connection is achieved by 2 knobs.

gAx1Bm.jpg

Dumpster is open. Time to unload garbage...

pnAK95.jpg

This is the ejector blade.

3MB5LM.jpg

And, as the previous pictures didn't tell you that much about it, here is the complete mechanism:

The 16 L axle is fixed to the gearbox output and the blade slides along it by worm gear and gearing. easy to understand . if not just ask me...

sZbcpt.jpg

So, here it is for this WE.

I'll take the time to appreciate the global design and next to that I'll realize the traditional video.

Thanks to those who read all of it

:classic::classic::classic::classic:

Looks very good. Like the truck and cabin design a lot, very clean and packed. The dumpster module looks very good too, like all the little details on the back. I'm a bit overwhelmed with that gearbox in the module, would really like to see that at work in a video.

I second the need for a video. Other than that, great MOC, great looks and great engeneering :thumbup:

10 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

Looks very good. Like the truck and cabin design a lot, very clean and packed. The dumpster module looks very good too, like all the little details on the back. I'm a bit overwhelmed with that gearbox in the module, would really like to see that at work in a video.

9 hours ago, jotta93 said:

I second the need for a video. Other than that, great MOC, great looks and great engeneering :thumbup:

7 hours ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

wow quite a nice MOC and very playable....great job and video will be appreciated!!

Thanks guys!

As you asked for it, here is the video of this Moc.

First the generic picture:

5sKwaW.jpg

I let it to my son yesterday evening. I notice this morning that I had to buy new batteries :classic: But ok, they were still ok for the video.

Enjoy...

Edited by steph77
add generic picture

Looks terrrific, works even better. I'm surprised how one LA can raise the whole back, the lever is big and weight of the back must be also quite high.

Wow, so smooth! Really cool creation, very nice functionalities in there. All makes sense seeing it in action (thanx for notifying me of vid:classic:). Very clever gearing to get it all to work in such small space. :thumbup::thumbup:

34 minutes ago, Ivan_M said:

Looks terrrific, works even better. I'm surprised how one LA can raise the whole back, the lever is big and weight of the back must be also quite high.

Thanks!

For the LA, i think it is more impressive what one medium motor can do than what the LA can. You can place 10 LA for lifting the back compactor...but the power input will always be one medium motor. The solution i used, as Jeroen said, was to gear down all the kinematics chain to raise the power incoming into the LA

20 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

Wow, so smooth! Really cool creation, very nice functionalities in there. All makes sense seeing it in action (thanx for notifying me of vid:classic:). Very clever gearing to get it all to work in such small space. :thumbup::thumbup:

It's true. But there is always more room in a build than you expected at first time. You only have to look closely at it and ask yourself how can i build it simplier?

A truly masterpiece and would be worth being an official set ! Top notch! 

Btw: i would pay each price for BI ;-)

The video might not be the greatest editing, but it sure shows the functionality. It is still amazing how many functions you were able to put in that space.:wub:

Thanks for comment !

I know my video is not the best editing one. I’ll try to make it again, shorter and more efficient.

I have spendt the last day to optimize the rear compactor. I rebuild the rotation system of the blade so it’s now at the exterior of the compactor making more place in the space between the compactor and the back of the recipient. I design the compacting process around the lego friends and GBC balls.

I’am actualy waiting my command from TLG for the balls and I’ll publish the result as soon I receive them.

I redesign the bins also with differents colors and some other detail like rear of the truck once the dumpster is open.

To be continued…

I really appreciate the texture the inside out panels produce. Could be used for a container or a dump truck in the future. Those front lights are nice too.

I have one suggestion - buy yourself rechargable batteries for this great creation. Really beautiful :wub: