steph77

[MOC] European garbage truck [new video and Lego idea submission]

Hello everyone!

I present to you the first ebouch of work that will occupy this summer: a recycled truck of European type.

At the exit of my dark age this was my first subject that I treated in lego technic. The model of the time had a awful design and many (too) features

Here is my program for this model:
Its scale will be granted to my latest creation. Size medium.
No RC on this model
The manual functions will be the steering on two axles, already realized and functional, a fake engine V6, already realized and functional, a cabin liftable.
At the powerfunction level, I will use a simple medium engine coupled to a reverting gearbox for four functions. These four functions will be: the rear loading of the trash bins, a compactor with two synchronized movement, the lifting of the rear part (compactor) and a scissor ejector.

The ultimate goal is to have a model that can be left without worries in the hands of a child. The carrier frame is fitted and already shielded for this purpose.

At the level of functions I will use mini actuators and for the compactor a system that I still have to test but based on what is done in GBC.

Here are the first photos of the current progress, I will post the update as and when progress.

Your comments are welcome.

ZD4w5V.jpg

As you see, the build is not symetrical. Fuel tank on one side and fake compressor of the other side.

The lighting is already incorporated. Placing it later is one mistake i will never do anymore...

qwuD9w.jpg

j7TUyh.jpg

To be continued...

Edited by steph77

Seeing as this is a work in progress, you may want to change the topic name to WIP, not MOC.

Edited by Sariel

Nice use for those new panels. Maybe for front lights they seem too big, but on sides are very good.

I agree with Jurss, those new panels look a bit big as headlights compared to the rest of the truck.

Other than that, it looks very promising :classic:

Also, what is the 36z wheel behind the cabin used for? Steering?

Nice and clean design so far. It will be quite cramped inside with so many functions. I wonder how many functions you had in your first post-dark-age version *huh*

1 hour ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Nice and clean design so far. It will be quite cramped inside with so many functions. I wonder how many functions you had in your first post-dark-age version *huh*

Yep, here it is:(the deep dark age version)

as you see the design is just...what to say? *huh*

4 hours ago, Jurss said:

Nice use for those new panels. Maybe for front lights they seem too big, but on sides are very good.

3 hours ago, jotta93 said:

I agree with Jurss, those new panels look a bit big as headlights compared to the rest of the truck.

Other than that, it looks very promising :classic:

Also, what is the 36z wheel behind the cabin used for? Steering?

For the head light i like the idea to have the illuminated parts behind these new panels.

I think that with custom stickers applied partially on the panel I will be able to give one accurate profile at the headlight it could be ok.

The 36z Wheel is my provisory HOG. The axle will go through the mechanics that will arrive at this place and go out on the roof

Edited by steph77

I'm so excited to see what you do with this. It looks great already. I love a good garbage truck, and your designs are great. I will be following this with interest.

I have found the compactor part is the hardest, especially with three functions and a opening hopper. I'm interested to see what kind of design you use, and how you run the functions to the rear section.

I actually am working on the global shape for this truck.

What you will see on the pictures below is NOT the final design, just  a quick test to visualize the global shape, evaluate the place inside for mechanism etc....

where do I am in my thought so far?

Here are the first setup I have established for the mechanics parts:

I will use 5 motorized functions finally. the two functions of the compactor will be separated and not synchronized in one only function(blade rotation and lifting). I have made this choice for a question of proportion of the global MOC.Not enough space I think to achieve this proprely

This is the interest of this way of working (with a quick prototype).

So the 5 functions will be:

-Lifting the tail

-ejector

-compactor up/down

-compactor blade rotation

-back lifter for bins.

The bins lifter. This is at this stage one difficulty for this MOC. I still have no specific idea on how it will work and where placing the mechanism.

So now I need to work module after module and the first to be start  is the back section in order to setup the gearbox in a proper way. I still do not know if it will be installed vertically or horizontally.

The volume dedicated to the gearbox is represented by the section realized in technic frames at the back of the cab.

Actual progress pictures:

Beginning of the cab design, global shapes. I do not want (but perhaps I will not achieve this) have one too oversized back section

9yyruj.jpg

Still have doubt on the new panels for front lights. I will wait to have the global cab to make my opinion on it. Opening doors is ok

LG9Znt.jpg

Back section will be the first incoming module to build

8L2WkP.jpg

inside view: 2/3 free to stock things, 1/3 is for the mechanics

ukkZs2.jpg

To be continued...

Edited by steph77

This looks preey nice! I like it if people do those kinds of trucks, and this scale works really well - not too big but enough room for some neat functions. Curious as to how you will fit all the functions. I see you went for 15 studs wide, where I would go for 13 wide for these wheels, but the two extra studs give you a lot of extra room, and it doesn't seem to hurt the looks so far.

This is going to be cool, keep it up Steph! That reminds me of uncle's project truck with blue ox towing installed on it.

The headlight looks perfect to me considering the size of the truck.

Might I suggest a worm gear setup traveling below the compaction unit for the rear bin lift with a soft link to the underside of the chassis/body for torque transmission. I used one on my Axor a couple of years back (see here), and it saved me big headache as I did not have run the mechanics anywhere near the compaction mechanics.

Otherwise it's looking great, and the generally shape will suit the design well.

Edited by Thirdwigg

15 hours ago, arnold45 said:

This is going to be cool, keep it up Steph! ...The headlight looks perfect to me considering the size of the truck.

Sure it will be!

6 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Might I suggest a worm gear setup traveling below the compaction unit for the rear bin lift with a soft link to the underside of the chassis/body for torque transmission. I used one on my Axor a couple of years back (see here), and it saved me big headache as I did not have run the mechanics anywhere near the compaction mechanics.

Otherwise it's looking great, and the generally shape will suit the design well.

I have also thought to that possibility (worm gear). And I do use it, but not actually in the same way :).

But I must admit your system is very clever. As I still do not have integrated that function, I will keep your idea in mind. Thanks!

If not.

OzHypt.jpg

Here are some progress. I concentrated myself on the rear end of the truck: the compactor.

I finally found a way to achieve the whole cycle of compacting using only one entry of PFS. But this is not what I will do...

Look at the picture below.Just imagine that the red worm gear place on the top is replaced by a regular one, and that's it.sUf7AF.jpg

In fact, as the compactor's blade rotation is achieved more quickly  than the compactor up/down movement, when you turn on the PFS motor the blade immediately rotate and go down. After 2.5 seconds the blade is fully rotated and the clutch begin to work as the compactor is still going down. For the up sequence, the blade rotate and quickly find its stop point while the compactor still go up.

I will not keep this setup for 'purism' reasons. I don't appreciate the idea that a mechanism is based on a clutch gear locking . Specially knowing my children will probably play with it for hours.

For that reason they will be two separate movement for it.

At this stage still no final idea for the bin lifter. This point is the next in my building process.

Pictures: the chain is a WIP idea for the lifter and logically, the whole section can be opened. The actuator will be on top and is not installed yet

evPuyu.jpgJ1VPQr.jpg

Next step will be the lifter and next some rebuilding of the bed in it's final configuration (fixations to the frame, etc)

Next to that will be the conception of the gearbox. doing it at the end offer the possibility to perfectly adjust the speeds of each function.

To be continued..

Small update for today: the mechanism for bin lifting:

faQcNS.jpg

Can be actionated by cable (like illustrated it work very well. It can also be actionated by some fiftarm mount. I 'll look a t this next week..

The final leveling system of the rear end is also in place + some more détails.

To be continued...

This looks very good @steph77, especially the compactor. What will you be using as rubbish? The hardest part about building compactors is creating the curved bottom panels; how will you achieve this, or will you leave it as it is? The bottom panel could at least be turned over to give a smooth inside, that will help I think.

13 minutes ago, ColletArrow said:

This looks very good @steph77, especially the compactor. What will you be using as rubbish? The hardest part about building compactors is creating the curved bottom panels; how will you achieve this, or will you leave it as it is? The bottom panel could at least be turned over to give a smooth inside, that will help I think.

Your're right! The curved profil is globaly done. As i wanted to use 2X2 round bricks as rubbish i think it will be ok (but i can and will rotate the 11X5 panel). My main goal is actually to go on point after point ta finalyse all the aspects of the Moc. Next to that will come the time to check and optimise element by element...

Really nice build so far, I think the string for bin lift is OK, regular liftarms would be too chubby imo, maybe thin ones might work fine

Btw. that amount of blue 5x11 panels *huh*, I desperatly seek them but they are very rare and expensive as hell :sceptic:

1 hour ago, Ivan_M said:

Btw. that amount of blue 5x11 panels *huh*, I desperatly seek them but they are very rare and expensive as hell :sceptic:

I assume they are medium blue from 42066?

5 hours ago, steph77 said:

Your're right! The curved profil is globaly done. As i wanted to use 2X2 round bricks as rubbish i think it will be ok (but i can and will rotate the 11X5 panel). My main goal is actually to go on point after point ta finalyse all the aspects of the Moc. Next to that will come the time to check and optimise element by element...

OK, sounds like a good plan. I'm looking forward to the finished result, it promises to be another excellent model.

1 hour ago, Paknaloid said:

:laugh: :laugh: yes...

Hi everybody.

The Moc is still advancing.

Faithful to my technique of design I am at the point where a final prototype is realized.
This model is imperfect from the point of view of design and also from the mechanical point of view. It offers the advantage of clearly visualizing the remaining problems to be solved.
The biggest problem is the concept and especially the two-way gearbox.
Currently, all functions are performed, motorized and controlled except for the ejection blade.
What are the findings?
The relative speeds of each of the functions are generally good. This is a good thing.

Where it stuck is that the concept of gearbox mobilizes a large amount of energy of the electric motor just to turn the gears to vacuum. It is then necessary to feed the functions that benefit from the shot of less power.

You will say: put an XL engine and don't  talk about it anymore.

Certainly.

But this is not the philosophy of this model and my only remaining engine is a simple medium motor ...

So, therefore:
On this model, only one function at a time is used. In practice (interest of the prototype) two functions are never used simultaneously. It makes sense: we load a trash, we scrape the bottom of the bucket then compact and finally we empty the bucket.

So I'm wondering if going back to a classic 4-way gearbox system would not be a good thing. I would maintain a correct power level, especially for lifting the rear part.
I deprive myself of the possibility of using simultaneous functions but on the other hand there is not really any use.
Your opinion on it?

Otherwise, here are some photos of the truck next to his big brother. The design of the latter has also evolved regularly without I have posted an update. This is an opportunity to do so.

Brother in bricks :

jPEN71.jpg

Same scale, cab is a little more voluminus on the refuse truck

23eJfF.jpg

But it is shorter in lengt

g9cIXb.jpg

You can see that i still work on the détails of the previous truck (longer bed, bin, color touch in green, new facelift,...)

Ps: all mechanics still works perfectly smooth since month. A good point. To get this result with the new truck it still need a lot of work

c8qAm0.jpg

I try to dissociate the two trucks. i am not still conviced by the face design. Still work to do

mPq4h7.jpg

I will now tackle the second part of the design process by reviewing the entire model module after module.

Edited by steph77