Mechbuilds

MOCing Advice & Ideas thread

Have you forgotten you've created this topic ? I think it's perfectly appropriate to ask for help. ;)

2 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

Even if it sounds terrible, i've started to think about just gluing 1x3 technic beams together to make a 2x3 or 3x3 technic beam and gluing a black stud or something to attach it to a moc.. 

You don't have to use Kragle :

missil10.png

2 hours ago, Leewan said:

Have you forgotten you've created this topic ? I think it's perfectly appropriate to ask for help. ;)

You don't have to use Kragle :

*snip*

Simple but effective design.. I would swap the axles to the 3 long axles with the half stud end. 

EDIT:

Thanks Leewan.

k5fLLeU.png

Very simple but extremely effective design. 

Edited by Leewan
Please don't quote pictures

3 hours ago, Takanuinuva said:

You could try using the Cordak Blaster ammo for the missiles. As there about the same length as a 3 long axle

I wonder how i could attach them to make it look like a missile pod.. I could attach them to the right or left torso area to simulate long range missiles.

9 hours ago, ZORK64 said:

That tip comes pretty handy, as I was thinking about making CCBS mechs too. :wink:

Awesome! Gotta keep look out for your post for inspiration. 
I currently disassembled all my mechs and i'm starting over but this time i ordered 30 euros worth of parts (including lots of turntables). Just for mechs. 
I think they work like tanks. The legs move in a direction while the torso is pointing to another. 

EDIT:

lego-dark-stone-gray-technic-power-funct
This part makes for a really amazing 3 piece rocket launcher.. Just add half studs and connect to the mech. You could use two of these to make the right and left torso part and just attach the arm to the other connector and the center torso to the other and you'll have vertical missile launchers in both sides. 

Problem is, this part costs over 9 euros. 

Edited by Mechbuilds

That's a nice 3x3 missile pod right there. Easy build for mad cat shoulders. The orby face of the cordak missile sure gives a strong illusion of a missile. 
I've used gray half pins for missiles and blue half pins for lasers in my micro scaled mech mocs. 

Hi, my name's Tyndale (as you can tell), and I'm interested in building with bionicle parts.

I haven't built to many Bionicle figures, only Ekimu vs. skull grinder, 2016 Lewa, and... that's it. I do, however, have a lot of bionicle parts from sets and such.

I would love to have some advice on building with these parts as I'm primarily a lego brick builder. 

Thank you for your time.

T

16 minutes ago, Tyndale said:

Hi, my name's Tyndale (as you can tell), and I'm interested in building with bionicle parts.

I haven't built to many Bionicle figures, only Ekimu vs. skull grinder, 2016 Lewa, and... that's it. I do, however, have a lot of bionicle parts from sets and such.

I would love to have some advice on building with these parts as I'm primarily a lego brick builder. 

Thank you for your time.

T

Hello tyndale. 

Do you have any idea what kind of mocs you'd be interested at? 
I personally like doing mechas but i did some bionicle style mocs before.. 

Voh1Shp.jpg

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. 
I've cracked a way how to make a twistable torso by using the 3x3 size turntable. 
I'd be interested if you can figure out a different way to build it. 

I'm currently having two mechs built simultaneously. Going to post pics soon as my parts arrive in the mail. 
What i do have complete however is the lower torso and the upper legs. Other one has full finished legs and the other is still being worked on.. 
The most important part i'm waiting for in the mail is the visorak lower body technic piece. It's a great platform to build from when you attach it to the turntable. 

I really liked the style of build for Asmund the Banisher, a topic in this forum by WARHEAD. I'd like to start of with that, but I would definetly love to then transition to to mechs as well. Also, dragons?

Thanks.

T

Looking at sets like Stormer XL, Furno Jet Machine, and Grievous, does anyone have any advice on shoulder articulation for a Protector-sized build or shoulder articulation for pretty much any non-huge build?

15 hours ago, Ikaatril said:

Looking at sets like Stormer XL, Furno Jet Machine, and Grievous, does anyone have any advice on shoulder articulation for a Protector-sized build or shoulder articulation for pretty much any non-huge build?

I've seen Logan McOwen use an upside-down small hf torso to good effect. I hope these help.
33984921974_6b3be363f1_z.jpg33984997104_9f603f54bb_z.jpg

I wonder if anybody has made mocs using the slizer/throwbot torsos? 
The one in judge/jet in particular. 

Edited by Mechbuilds

Okay, that might be a really weird question, but can somebody tell me how large the Galidor Figures (especially their heads) were? A comparison pic next to a Techfigure or another easy to identify Constraction Set would be also helpful.

Edited by ZORK64

On 10/24/2017 at 6:48 PM, ZORK64 said:

Okay, that might be a really weird question, but can somebody tell me how large the Galidor Figures (especially their heads) were? A comparison pic next to a Techfigure or another easy to identify Constraction Set would be also helpful.

review-galidor-allegra-03.jpg

@Mechbuilds Thanks for the nightmare fuel picture!

Heh, I actually naively hoped that the Galidor figures were closer to Techfigs in terms of scale rather than Bionicle, as I was looking a more humanoid head at a smaller scale. Too bad they're too large for that idea.

That was actually the kind of idea I had in mind. :wink:

I want to build a Terran Space Marine MOC who's in scale with my Heroes of the Storm Jim Raynor action figure, and I was looking for a head that would work with that scale.

But unless I want to go non-purist, I will probably build the MOC with a closed visor.

On 10/24/2017 at 11:48 AM, ZORK64 said:

https://imgur.com/a/jIqYZ

Just found this image

Edited by Mitch Henry

Thanks. That's probably from the same source as the pic that Mechbuilds posted earlier.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure now that Galidor Heads are too large for the MOC I had in mind.

1 hour ago, ZORK64 said:

Thanks. That's probably from the same source as the pic that Mechbuilds posted earlier.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure now that Galidor Heads are too large for the MOC I had in mind.

I know the scale you're talking about. It'll be too big if you're planning on building a helmet.. But for a moc without a helmet like kerrigan ect.. It'd be about okay size. 

20 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

I know the scale you're talking about. It'll be too big if you're planning on building a helmet.. But for a moc without a helmet like kerrigan ect.. It'd be about okay size. 

I think you might confuse the Heroes of the Storm figures from NECA with the StarCraft II figures from DC Collectibles. Raynor is roughly 6 inches tall, and his noggin is around the same size as that of a Techfig.

Edited by ZORK64