VaderFan2187

[MOCs] Modular LEGO Spaceships - Space Police IV vs. Blacktron III

Hi everyone!

I was thinking about a potential future LEGO Space theme. I thought something like Space Police IV vs. Blacktron III would be nice!

I also thought about using a modular system. This meant the cockpit and the ship bodies (along with potentially other parts) were connected but could be separated. With more sets bought, you could have variety in your spaceships.

Today I have the first spaceship. It is a Blacktron III spaceship, contains 197 parts, and would retail for $19.99 USD, £17.99 GBP, and $39.99 NZD  :classic:

eB8K0tN.png

The Blacktron trooper is getting away! Deploy the Space Police officer with his special jetpack in hot pursuit!

Xts8hOx.png

Stop her from stealing the precious rocks!! Set comes with swiveling cannons, stud shooters, opening crate with storage, and spring-loaded shooters. Cockpit also opens!

x700FSu.png

Separate the ship into modules! Combine the modules with your other sets to create new spaceships! Also swap around the cannon positions to suit your wishes!

Thanks for looking :classic:

VaderFan2187 out!

Hey @VaderFan2187! Looks cool! I loved your idea that you posted on my thread and it's great to see the idea fleshed out! Hope to see more. I also hope this idea catches on and your thread turns into one big modular collaboration of fan models all under some sort of modular standard! Thumbs up! :wink:

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

2 minutes ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Thanks @LegoMonorailFan! I certainly will try to create more and hopefully there will be more variety with the bigger 'sets' :classic:

Looking forward to it. :sweet:

I like the modular concept also, I'm surprised Lego hasn't adopted it for many current themes, especially big bang themes. I guess it's sort of is a Voltron, Power Rangers Zord concept, perhaps for that reason Lego has avoided it to keep from looking copycat-ish.

By the way, I like how you used the Y-Wing canopy in Trans-yellow for this Blacktron I build, since I've always thought it would be perfect for the theme in that color. The canopy sort of takes after the look of the front of many Blacktron I sets, such as set no. 6894 Invader (pictured below).

th?id=OIP.DB01erZ0Ezn75amsHWrwogEsD6&pid=15.1

Thank you @Digger of Bricks! Hehe I felt the trans yellow Y-wing cockpit would look nice (and I felt it looked like 6894's too!) I would like to try the ones from Pre Vizsla's Mando Fighter and the newer X-wing canopy, what do you think?

4598530.jpg6170827.jpg

19 minutes ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Thank you @Digger of Bricks! Hehe I felt the trans yellow Y-wing cockpit would look nice (and I felt it looked like 6894's too!) I would like to try the ones from Pre Vizsla's Mando Fighter and the newer X-wing canopy, what do you think?

4598530.jpg6170827.jpg

The X Wing canopy would work better with a more rigid, angular styled craft, while the other would need plenty of curved slope bricks for the build to complement the canopy. Also, if it is available in LDD, use the printed X Wing canopy from TLBM Batwing, since its black frame prints would work great with the rest of the color scheme.

Its funny, but I just remember back in 2014 seeing a TLM poster with Benny (pictured below) that had a starfighter in the backdrop with the other canopy you mentioned in Trans-yellow. This I remember was discussed a bit at the time, with hopes of the craft becoming a set, but instead we got the SPACESHIP!

th?id=OIP.Ew5fytvOLv8APTQtevWbogEsDh&pid=15.1

I like this idea.  Nice ship, looking forward to seeing more.

A suggestion - I think it'd look good if the 1x4 panel piece under the windshield were also trans-yellow.

A really good idea which reminds me on the combinable creator-vehicles from last year, or earlier this year. This has the potential for some really wild designs. You definitely should pursue this further, but perhaps with less chunky modules. Especially the cockpit and rear fuselage segments are a bit too massive compared to what Lego does today. 

As for the canopy, I would go for the angular one. Blacktron ships need sharp, aggressive edges defining their profile.

3 hours ago, Space Police XVIII said:

I like this idea.  Nice ship, looking forward to seeing more.

A suggestion - I think it'd look good if the 1x4 panel piece under the windshield were also trans-yellow.

Thanks! I'll try that out

1 hour ago, Littleworlds said:

A really good idea which reminds me on the combinable creator-vehicles from last year, or earlier this year. This has the potential for some really wild designs. You definitely should pursue this further, but perhaps with less chunky modules. Especially the cockpit and rear fuselage segments are a bit too massive compared to what Lego does today. 

As for the canopy, I would go for the angular one. Blacktron ships need sharp, aggressive edges defining their profile.

Gotcha :) hopefully as the ships get bigger I can make the modules smaller.

Thanks for the tip on the canopy!

This is great. Exactly the sort of thing that Lego should do if they ever produce another stand alone space theme. I always loved the spaceships that had sections you clipped together. One of my favourites as a child was 6891 for that reason.

Great job! I would love to see lego do something like this in the future (with aliens of course! :grin:). Can't wait to see more creations of yours!

On 13/06/2017 at 11:01 PM, Eggyslav said:

That's a cool little ship you have here bro, forgive me this shamess plug, but it kinda remind me of my own Sharovipterix Modular Blacktron ship...

That's a great ship you have too!

On 14/06/2017 at 5:34 AM, badgerboy said:

This is great. Exactly the sort of thing that Lego should do if they ever produce another stand alone space theme. I always loved the spaceships that had sections you clipped together. One of my favourites as a child was 6891 for that reason.

Glad you like it :classic:

1 hour ago, bobasdad said:

I love this idea and I can't wait to see more!

Just now, TheLazyChicken said:

Great job! I would love to see lego do something like this in the future (with aliens of course! :grin:). Can't wait to see more creations of yours!

Thanks! I need to continue working on these :laugh:

Hello everyone! Today I have the second spaceship :wink: It is another Blacktron III spaceship, it contains 294 parts, and would retail for $29.99 USD, £29.99 GBP, and $59.99 NZD :D

bmzwPWc.png

Deploy the two Space Police IV officers and the drone in hot pursuit of the Blacktron III ship!

XEzvCZN.png

Fire the stud shooter! (sorry)

1syrGbP.png

Separate the ship into modules! (cockpit, guns, body, and engine. Actually the engine of the first ship can be removed as well)

IPm08Db.png?1

Detach the Blacktron probe droids for a recon mission!

Spoiler

This is a modern update of the 6894 Blacktron Invader :wink:

6894-1.jpg

Hope you like it! C&C welcome, as always :sweet:

12 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Hey, looks cool @VaderFan2187! I like the translucent red tailfins you set at an angle. Great homage to 6894! Thumbs up.

Thank you, I am glad you like it :)

Mr Fan2187, don't I love modular system, I like this, a lot. I was trying to build a ship not to long ago but I gave upon it but now I'm gonna use this as inspiration (I won't steal your idea, my idea is a lot different). 

12 hours ago, J4ck said:

Mr Fan2187, don't I love modular system, I like this, a lot. I was trying to build a ship not to long ago but I gave upon it but now I'm gonna use this as inspiration (I won't steal your idea, my idea is a lot different). 

Thanks @J4ck! Feel free to use the system if you want, I look forward to seeing your ship! :classic:

9 minutes ago, JACKATTACKS said:

Wow. These ships look really good. Will love to see what comes next!

Thanks Jack! I will try to keep working on these :)

A very nice homage MOC! I like your usage of that particular windshield part, it looks nice in yellow.

Say, perhaps you should consider using part no. 27165 (pictured below) and part no. 22483 (also pictured below) for future creations. :sweet:

6129592.jpg 6166861.jpg

Thanks @Digger of Bricks

I originally wanted to use 27165 as the cockpit in this MOC but could not find a piece which fits above it well. I think 22391 works though.

22391.png

As for 22483, it looks great but unfortunately is not present in LDD :sad:

Just now, VaderFan2187 said:

Thanks @Digger of Bricks

I originally wanted to use 27165 as the cockpit in this MOC but could not find a piece which fits above it well. I think 22391 works though.

It does, but for me, it's not flat enough for the usages I've visualized it for, particularly so to use the windshield for minifigure scale cars or even Batmobiles. I would hope to see a plate with the same footprint in the future or something similar.