Sign in to follow this  
MattL600

[MOC] RC Offroad buggy and feedback wanted

Hey guys :laugh:

I wanted to test out the unimog suspension but I forgot how it was set up so I tried what i remembered of it into this buggy's rear axle:

But I think I somewhat messed up :sceptic:

What are the principles for live axles?

And on a completely unrelated topic, does anyone have tips to make driven and suspended front wheel drive?

Update:

Just took it apart, probably gonna use the advice to make something better.

Edited by MattL600
Update

For XL motor in a model this size (shouldn't be heavy the way it looks), you can consider gearing up... Also, have you tried to power each XL motor by separate battery box? Such that one of your battery box will also power the M motor... I suspect this will give you even better performance.

To me, a live axle simply means the axle is 'live' - it moves wholesale along with suspension... challenge is in making the move smooth and nimble - your shocks should be able to compress along the arc of compression - not very clear from the video though... you can also work on the part where your chassis connects to your rear axle - while it allows up/down movement now, it appears to prevent any rotation so that your rear axle can flex for better agility?

As for driven/suspended front axles, you can check out this thread - contains all kinds of axles.

Edited by PorkyMonster

Nice buggy. You should gear up the XL-motors at least 3:5 to get better performance. A couple tips for you for building live-axle suspension:

1. Move the attachment points of the shocks in front of the wheel in order to increase the travel.

2. Mount the shocks at an angle. This improves the travel drastically as it allows more flex in a shorter space.

3. Kinda obvious, use larger shocks, again, at an angle.

Some examples:

1. by Madoca: Trophy Truck and Trial Truck

2. by JJ2: Crawler and Crawler V2

Hope this helps!

2 hours ago, PorkyMonster said:

For XL motor in a model this size (shouldn't be heavy the way it looks), you can consider gearing up... Also, have you tried to power each XL motor by separate battery box? Such that one of your battery box will also power the M motor... I suspect this will give you even better performance.

To me, a live axle simply means the axle is 'live' - it moves wholesale along with suspension... challenge is in making the move smooth and nimble - your shocks should be able to compress along the arc of compression - not very clear from the video though... you can also work on the part where your chassis connects to your rear axle - while it allows up/down movement now, it appears to prevent any rotation so that your rear axle can flex for better agility?

As for driven/suspended front axles, you can check out this thread - contains all kinds of axles.

1 hour ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Nice! Could be faster like PorkyMonster suggested - otherwise good! I like the car body!

43 minutes ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Nice buggy. You should gear up the XL-motors at least 3:5 to get better performance. A couple tips for you for building live-axle suspension:

1. Move the attachment points of the shocks in front of the wheel in order to increase the travel.

2. Mount the shocks at an angle. This improves the travel drastically as it allows more flex in a shorter space.

3. Kinda obvious, use larger shocks, again, at an angle.

Some examples:

1. by Madoca: Trophy Truck and Trial Truck

2. by JJ2: Crawler and Crawler V2

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestions next time I wont be as afriad to gear up!

Thanks for the link for all the axles but unfortunately I don't have a number of the pieces mentioned.

Also, what gears gear up to 3:5

6 hours ago, MattL600 said:

Also, what gears gear up to 3:5

20t:12t or 1.667:1 gears.

3 hours ago, MattL600 said:

OH MY GOD SARIEL OMG :laugh:

It is sariel, don't panic.

14 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

Nice buggy! but if it was faster it would be amazing :laugh:, looks great though!