I managed to get the universal set 8062 (including suitcase) a while ago, in OK condition for a reasonable prize. I never used it, until recently. The last couple of weeks, my soon 6 year old son and I have been busy building the models, modding them, and creating MOCs, with parts only from this set. Fantastic set, and a lot of fun! Myself, I would have absolutely loved this set as a kid! There are a lot of nice parts, and lot of possibilities, yet limitations. I think this combination is the key to the fun, because it challenges our creativity (I guess this is valid for Lego in general...). This set directs the focus more on function than looks. Even I prefer studless construction, I have to admit it's great fun to go back in time with this set.

This made me think, perhaps it is a market out there for universal sets. Or is it only me? And my son? In my mind these kind of sets would be a perfect entry to Technic. I am sure TLG have their reasons for their strategies, but I hope we some day will see the return of the universal sets.

Meanwhile, why not make a competition here on EB, where the challenge is to create the best universal set? The entry would have to be a universal set inventory and instructions for different models. Perhaps different classes; basic, pneumatic, PF, etc. What do you think?

3 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

It is a good idea, but not everyone will have every part.

Good point. However, if looking at the set 8062, it only included parts that were very common for that period. A universal set of today should of course use parts that are common today.

A good entry in a competion like this, would include only common parts. In other words, anyone with a decent modern Technic collection should be able to replicate the models (perhaps not in the exact colors, but still...).

Edited by kolbjha

Just now, kolbjha said:

Good point. However, if looking at the set 8062, it only included parts that were very common for that period. A universal set of today should of course use parts that are common today.

I like this idea, how about you @Jim? I think common parts easily come by would work.

This is interesting! I do have a couple of universal sets myself (including 850), I can use them for inspiration!

Edited by TechnicRCRacer

I'm a big fan of the 'Universal' sets (not just Technic, but System as well) as I think it aids creativity, and gets folk experimenting to see just what exactly they can do and make.

I like universal sets, they are the most fun sets to try to make another model(s).

15 hours ago, kolbjha said:

Meanwhile, why not make a competition here on EB, where the challenge is to create the best universal set? The entry would have to be a universal set inventory and instructions for different models. Perhaps different classes; basic, pneumatic, PF, etc. What do you think?

I think that would make a very interesting competition.