9 members have voted

1. 1. On scale 1-5

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

gallery_6705_157_17796.png.0b82c8bae0c9c1cb2f4c5e26ac22ce1c.png

Hi, you like trains? This is the review for you. Small, cute trains. Enjoy!

Overview

Name: Emerald Express
Theme: LEGO Creator 3 in 1
Year: 2014
Pieces: 56 pieces
Minifigures: 0
Price£4.99 / $4.99 / 4.99€ / RM19.90

Full steam ahead! The exciting and colorful Emerald Express steam train is packed with detail, from the old-fashioned funnel to the driver’s cab and the bars at the front that push cows out of its way. Moo! When it’s time for a change, you can rebuild it into a fast rocket train or a carriage. Combine with additional Emerald Express sets to create an even longer train!

• 3-in-1 model: rebuilds into a rocket train or a carriage
  • Features chunky wheels, funnel, light, cattle bars and a driver’s cab with windows
  • Watch out for passing cows!
  • Train measures over 2” (7cm) high, 3” (8cm) long and 1” (3cm) wide
  • Rocket train measures over 1” (4cm) high, 3” (9cm) long and 1” (3cm) wide 
  • Carriage measures over 1” (4cm) high, 2” (6cm) long and 1” (3cm) wide 
  • Combine with additional 31015 Emerald Express sets for an even longer train

Name: Blue Express 
Theme: LEGO Creator 3 in 1
Year: 2017
Pieces: 71 pieces
Minifigures: 0
Price£4.99 / $4.99 / 4.99€ / RM24.90

Enjoy railroad adventures with this awesome locomotive, featuring a classic tank-engine design with six wheels, two buffers, front light, and a blue, black and gray color scheme. This 3-in-1 LEGO® Creator set features a three-part modular design that enables quick model reconfiguration, and can be combined with the 31055 and 31060 LEGO Creator mini modular vehicle sets to create new vehicles for extended play. Rebuild to create a Carriage or a Fast Train.

• Features a classic tank-engine design with six wheels, two buffers and a front light.
  • Check out the classic blue, black and gray color scheme.
  • Easy three-part modular design for quick model reconfiguration.
  • This set includes over 70 pieces and offers an age-appropriate build and play experience for ages 6+.
  • 3-in-1 model: rebuilds into a Carriage or a Fast Train.
  • Combine with the 31055 and 31060 LEGO® Creator mini modular vehicle sets for extended play.
  • Blue Express measures over 1” (4cm) high, 3” (9cm) long and 1” (4cm) wide.
  • Carriage measures over 1” (4cm) high, 3” (8cm) long and 1” (4cm) wide.
  • Fast Train measures over 1” (3cm) high, 2” (6cm) long and 1” (3cm) wide.

Introduction

31015 and 31054 are both creator three in one trains designed at their smallest boxed sets. I came across these affordable sets and bought three sets each to complete the three designs and connect them together. 

The Boxes

'One does not simply buy ONLY one creator three in one sets.' The box art with borders are new designs of 2017 sets. Emerald express looked like it was set in arctic background and blue express in some green scenery.

At the back of the box you can see all three designs are presented. Both with the head of the train, the carriage and the tail. 

Here you can compare that the 2014 set has a larger box and wheel compared to the 2017 set. Pieces count increased but the size of the pieces became smaller. Cutting cost?

The Build

Lets start with the older set.

Emerald Express

The build was overall easy. Here you can see the head of the train looked like a small cart, with a curve black roof and 2x2 trans clear brick acting as windows. I liked how the dark green rounded bricks matches with the red and trans yellow headlight and the 'chimney' is very nicely placed.

The carriage. I see it as the middle part of the train. You can actually buy a lot of sets and make a lot of these carriage to elongate your train. This four wheeled carriage is very nice with curve ends on both sides, and it will be attached via the ball joint at the front and back of the carriage.

This is the rear end of the train. The 'chimney' part become the tail of the train with yellow light. There is a compartment for passengers with trans clear 1x2 as window, two large wheels and one small wheel as support. 

This is a very nice and beautiful train when you connect them together via the ball joints I've mentioned earlier. The windows are very beautiful with those trans clear pieces, and its design of head and rear are very distinct where you can easily differentiate which direction the train is moving. 

Blue Express 

The building technique for this new 2017 set is some kind of modular. The parts are connected to each other via a red technic pin. You can actually detach and combine them with compartments from other sets in this series for more creative vehicles, and more fun!

This is a classic blue train which reminds me of Thomas the train. How nice if LEGO adds a smiley face at the front of the train! The head of the train was decorated with a rather small 'chimney' and there are three pairs of small wheels. The size of the wheels are uniform towards the end.

This is the center part of the train built with second set. The wheels are the same, this time added two red piece at the passenger seat area to add in to some details for this part. It is quite symmetrical if you view from any side of the compartment. 

This is the rear end of the train. Three pairs of small wheels, a round tile with a stud at the center without the trans clear 1x1 round plate distinguished it with the front. I like the blue dome part making it looks more curvy. The new 1x2 wedge also adds some details at the tail of the train.

This is the whole 'Thomas train'! Not bad for a train and the blue and black color match is quite nice. I think LEGO can add a printed number plate at the front of the train to make it much worthy to buy. 

These are the extra parts from all three sets.

Comparison

In this picture the length of both train are almost the same. Color wise both are very nicely matched. Design wise I prefer the Emerald Express for a much detailed train compared to a 'symmetrical' looking train.

Blue Express vs Emerald Express. Which one will you board? 

Summary review 

Playability: 6/10 (No play features for both sets, however kids can move the train with the wheels)

Design: 9/10 (The design of the train was very nice and elegant. You can really feel like you are going to show your ticket and get into the train. But I still prefers the Emerald.)

Price: 9/10 (What more do you ask for a 56/71 pcs set?)

Overall: 8/10 (I think Emerald Express looks more like a real train. Blue Express looks a bit toy-ish. Both are very nice when displayed together, so I would suggest you get all six boxes for a complete train.

Good review. I hadn't realised the options of combining the 3 versions. Nice to see that.

However for me not so intersting though. And actually to me the blue express is not as convincing as the Emerald express.

8 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

Good review. I hadn't realised the options of combining the 3 versions. Nice to see that.

However for me not so intersting though. And actually to me the blue express is not as convincing as the Emerald express.

And you can make it longer too! I too prefers Emerald Express. The blue one looks much simpler.

Just that they both lack a track for them to run on. Anyone have done or MOC any tracks for these cute trains?

Nice review. I love the Emerald Express very much and I actually bought one. I wasn't completely sold to buy more of the newer design. Fully agree with your taking on the Blue Express being toyish. I suspect to a larger extent, this is because we are paying homage to Emerald Night. :sweet: 

14530476554_c82855a936_o_d.jpg

33 minutes ago, WhiteFang said:

Nice review. I love the Emerald Express very much and I actually bought one. I wasn't completely sold to buy more of the newer design. Fully agree with your taking on the Blue Express being toyish. I suspect to a larger extent, this is because we are paying homage to Emerald Night. :sweet: 

14530476554_c82855a936_o_d.jpg

Thanks WhiteFang! I like LEGO train too but making the track and the setup requires much space in my house to play.. This will provoke mum as it is much more tedious for her to clean up the dust and further destroys the whole train. That's why these two small trains can solve my problem.. haha 

I think the wheels are the key feature that Emerald is nicer looking than the Blue.